Best Buy Dell Laptopcustomer service and repair

I purchased a brand new laptop from best buy on 8/5/09. Purchased Kaspersky internet security 2009 per the advisement of the clerk. On 8/24/09 My computer stopped working properly. I called Best Buy and they told me to bring it right in. They then said they had to run a diagnostic on it. It took them 9 days to accomplish this task. Then they called me and advised me that my computer had a virus. Um, ok... I have Kaspersky, how did it get a virus. Well we dont know stated the GEEK SQUAD Agent. I asked myself what was wrong with this picture... So I told them i would be down the next day to pick up my computer and I wanted to know what was wrong with it when i arrived.

We dont know what is wrong with it, we just know it has a virus and it will be 158.00 dollars to fix it. I then asked him for a print out or something showing me what kind of virus, or the location of the virus so I had some kind of proof as to what was wrong with my NEW LAPTOP... He could not do that, he said the machine does not give a printout. I than asked him how he knew something was wrong with it than... Still no suitable answer to my question.

After stating to him that I was not going to pay for something that may or may not be affecting my Laptop. And that I wanted proof, you know a piece of paper stating whats wrong. Would you take your car to a mechanic to have it fixed without getting a print out or something in writing telling you what was wrong with your car? I then took my computer home, ran a full scan through Kaspersky, you know the anti virus i paid for, and it said i had a trojan virus. WOW... No kidding. The virus has been taken care of, didnt cost me anything.

GEEK SQUAD... YOU GUYS ARE IDIOTS!!! You have such a wonderful scam going on. Your taking advantage of people who just do not know any better. For those who believe that they may have something going wrong with their computer. Please, ask someone who knows. Not the GEEK SQUAD...

• Me
    Melissa L Sep 05, 2009

I totally agree with you on this, Geek Squad is charging people tons of money for simple tasks that take like 5 minutes to do and are easy enough for a computer illiterate to figure out. I feel sorry for anyone that calls Geek Squad for their computer issues.

• Gn
    gnarkill5821 Oct 05, 2009

@Melissa L

Wait! Geeksquad charges money for performing services on a computer? They are trying to get paid for their time and expertise? This almost sounds like a mechanic getting paid for a routine oil change! Outrageous.

@GeekSquadpplrstupid

Sounds like the agent you spoke with either very untrained... or very new. First of all to remove an infection from a computer under MFG warranty it is only $129.99. I don't know where $158 came from. Cheers for asking for a print out (the tools Geeksquad uses have print buttons). Reading and understanding this print out is another story. Different infections(virus / spyware / malware) have different removal processes, traces on your system, and varying levels of access and control on your machine. In your case it sounds like it was either some tracking cookies (low to no threat) or some easily removed traces of adware on your system. Now (the best part) is this all could have been determined in 10 minutes when you first waited in line. If the agent you had first spoken to (who told you that they needed to run a diag on it) had taken a few more minute to run system analyzer on your machine. Then determined how severe the infection was (in this case not severe, hence Kaspersky cleaned it easily) and sent you on your way.

So I agree that you had a terrible experience with a particular store, I would recommend either trying to find a knowledgeable technician within that store or going to a different one. Is Geeksquad running a scam? Not at all.

• Rc
    RCG6099 Feb 18, 2010

Geek Squad and Dell both suck. I bought a Inspiron 1525 a year and a half ago. The hinge broke on one side. I took it to best buy, they wanted to charge me almost 90 dollars just to say it was a broken hinge, then order the part from dell, and then pay for the part at obviously a marked up price, and then labor to install. It is ridculous that i would pay them 90 dollars to say the hinge was broken when it was open and broken off. Also dell sucks. I have found out frm surfing the web that this is a common problem with this particular laptop. Dell should be made to replace the parts for free.