Bankers Life and CasualtyLies and more lies

For those who are thinking of joining Bankers Life and Casualty as either an agent or as a client I need to put you on RED ALERT.

This company is not what they say and is all talk and no action.

After 13 years of management I hit a crossroads in my life. BLC called on me for a "new and exciting career that would allow you live the lifestyle you always dreamed of." I was suckered in. I never wanted to make $100000 a year. I just wanted to make a decent living to maintain the lifestyle that I had. If I worked up to 100+K a year great!!

After signing the paperwork to start was when it all started going downhill. As a new agent you have to give up 20% of your commission to the office to help pay for "leads". 20%!!! At first I didn't worry. We were all told that the average commission was $500 and that the "average" agent sold 8 policies a month. I'm thinking no problem. HA. The reality is that the "leads" we bought were recycled leads (people who responded to BLC mailers and either couldn't be reached, had already been seen, didn't qualify for anything and sometimes already purchased a policy). Sometimes the leads didn't even have a phone number, which meant having to drive to their house and door knock them or send them a letter. All of course out of our pocket financially. Sometimes we were just given a list of what was called Non-Responders. These were folks who didn't respond to the mailer and we were to call on them to set the appointment. The majority of these folks didn't respond due to being on Medicaid or they were to sick to get anything with BLC even if they wanted to.

If you were able to sell anything it usually was for much less than the $500 a policy that was "average". It was also very apparent that policies were canceled much more than expected. When this happened we were charged the full amount of commission that was given INCLUDING the 20% that was taken away to help pay for "leads". So, if I sold a policy and received $1000 for the policy I in reality on received $800. If it was canceled, I would have to pay BLC back $1000. This in turn caused me to then sell $1200 in commission just to break even again. More often than not we were working for free at BLC.

That is just the agent side of it. If you were a client it was even worse. I didn't file many claims but the ones that I did were a nightmare for me. The very first claim I filed on behalf of a client was for a Home Health Care plan. BLC will not even look at a claim for 30 days!!! On day 55 I got an ear full from both of the children as to why a decision was not made either way and I turned it over to the Branch Mgr. It took another 10 days before they finally decided to take care of the client. 65 days!!! How would it make you feel to see your parent/grandparent suffer for 65 days before the checks started to come in?

Another client filed a claim on her Home Health Care plan for installation of a ramp to her home. The claim was sent in on December 2nd. I called on January 2nd to see if there was an update. Nothing. I called again on February 2nd. Nothing. I called on February 16th. Nothing. I then turned it over to the Branch Mgr again for him to call. March 2nd. Nothing. She finally received word that BLC would pay the claim around April 2nd. 120 DAYS!!!

Everything takes 7-10 business days before they would even look at it. I, as an agent, would follow up on the 7th day and usually heard the following, "the person to look at this hasn't. I'll send this up to escalation. Please call back in (you guessed it) 7-10 business days." Again, I'd call on day 7 (some 3 weeks by the calender) only to hear that it needed to be sent to escalation AGAIN!!!

When the Branch Mgr was asked about this his response was simply that claims/resolutions take time and we have to be patient. Easy for the Branch Manager. He is/was not the one getting his head ripped off.

I have more stories and nightmares to share but these are more than enough to scare the Hell out of anyone.

With all that being said. Do not, under any circumstance let any Bankers Life and Casualty person tell you that they are a great company to work for or to entrust them with your well being. You will only regret it in the long run. If I can save just one person with this blog it was well worth the time.

• Un
    Unhappy Prior Bankers Agent Dec 15, 2012

I worked at Bankers Life for about 10 months and your nor kidding! I was later told by agents at other insurance companies THIS THE WORST INSURANCE JOB TO START AT ! I was left to disappointed that I have not tried with any other company thus far.

• Da
    Daysis18 Oct 18, 2011

When something sounds to good to be true is because it properly is. I'm a college student and when I heard about this job at first I was really excited, the only thing through my mind was 'omfg i could pay my college tuition' but when i researched this company and read so many complaints from both clients and former employees it changed my mind. I choose being job less than working in a company where i will only suffer instead of gaining

• Hu
    Hugh Looker Oct 22, 2010

My wife moved from Assisted Living to a Nursing Home on July 16, 2010. When the check hadn't arrived, I called and emailed the Branch Manager. He said someone in their home office had called the nursing home and requested documents, but no answer had ever been received. The nursing home had no record of any such phone call, and of course would not send out such documents without a request by fax or mail. I finally got a list of the three documentations they needed, and had them faxed to Bankers Life on Sept 3, 2010. They have been telling me one lie after another ever since. Here it is the 22nd of October and they have not paid for the last half of July, all of August, and all of September. They have this cute way of back dating things to make it appear that they handle things efficiently. I recently received a letter from them dated 21 days earlier. Mail normally reaches me from Chicago in 4 days maximum. If you have a choice, avoid this bunch of cr0oks completely, please be forwarned.

• Ti
    Tim da astoote Jul 22, 2010

My heart goes out to you my dear and anyone who has suffered as you have and more importantly under BLC's watch.
    You saved me, thank you for taking time.
    Tim