Babies R UsReturn Policy and Poor Management

Be careful if buying items from BRU, particularly if items are gifts. If the items purchased were not on the person's registy, or if the items were on the registry but you failed to inform clerk at time of checkout of the person's registry number, the items cannot be returned without a gift receipt or the original receipt EVEN if the item(s) in original package if price of item exceeds $15. My daughter went to return some items that she received duplicates, some that were not on her registry, and of course, she did not have original receipts or gift receipts. She learned of this "makes no sense" policy. The clerk assisting her was very customer friendly, but the manager on duty was a jerk! I for one will no longer shop at a BRU or any of it's affiliates.

• Be
    BeaverBoy Jun 26, 2012

Buddy, stop being a spamming [censored].

• Th
    The Retail Action Project Jun 26, 2012

Babies R Us has some of the worst scheduling practices in the retail industry today besides other total injustices. Are you fed up with low wages and a lack of respect? Do you know your rights as a retail worker? If you are having difficulties at work or need help to advance in your career contact the RETAIL ACTION PROJECT now for FREE ADVICE AND WORKSHOPS on the retail industry at [email protected], 646.490.5925 or visit our website www.retailactionproject.org

• Se
    Seattle Rob Apr 14, 2012

Wow, people are still writing over this. It has been almost two years since I wrote this. Anyways the truth is I found out that the real reason that the other customers were looking at me badly was because I mistreated my daughter and granddaughter. I did not hit them or anything, but I had a headache and my granddaughter was crying. I lost it and yelled, to my daughter, can you please get "her to shut up" referring to my granddaughter. This made her upset and then she started crying. Then I told my daughter that even though she is old enough to make her own decisions that if she ever stepped foot into a Toys Are Us, or Babies are Us that I would disown her. That I would call CPS and say that I have concerns about her the way she is treating my granddaughter. That she will never see her again. I got help and counselling for this. Just thought I would update you.

• We
    wendyja Apr 14, 2012

We purchased a crib from babies r us, conversion to toddler bed and full is available. That is all we were told. Low n' behold what they left out was, this is an exculsive crib to BRU only, special order comes from China or Japan, and they will not take your orde for conversion kit until it is in stock in babies r us warehouse and then it still takes 10-15 WEEKS, yes WEEKS, even though manufacturer has the in stock and says it goes out 3-5 days after BRU orders. We have now waited over 7 months for these rails and now our child has outgrown her crib and has no bed of her own due to waiting on these rails and cost over $200 for just the rails. I would NEVER purchase again from Babies r us. We call BRU and all you get is attitude and excuses.

• Pa
    patel123 Dec 20, 2011

I went in store for diapers and toys to purchase. I show her that there is one deal going in store if you purchase $75 or more u will get $10 gift card. I bought $89 things and i had coupon to redeem. I ask her she says that if i use coupon then i want give you $10 as gift card then i explain her everythings and she said let me cancel your order and somebody else will assist you. I said look my baby is hungry and crying a lot please do it little fast. She turn her head and left the place immediately and didn't answer me.
    Unfortunately i had to left the toys and rest of the stuff because of my baby crying i just bought a box of diapers and left the place. I think sue is not belong to babies r us store she suppose to work in some adult store. If she doesnt know that the Babies R Us store is for kids to make happy and calm then just leave that store and do job at some where else?

• L6
    l6g Jul 15, 2011

I have a one year old.. The first store I walked into before he was born was babies R us in east hanover NJ. Right there began the experience of the worst customer service I have ever been through at any store. This is no exaggeration. From the managers to the people at the counter, even asking for help to navigate the store for the first time was torture.. I have stopped shopping there now that my son is over one and I can go elsewhere for his things now. The attitude and unapproachibility and the unwillingness to help stand out at every store i have been to.. Including Garden City NY and Massapequa Ny. I tried the latter one after I was treated so rudely and inappropriately by the Manager there at Garden City back in March 2017.. It is just a horrendous shopping experience.. I dont like to remark this way about anyone or anything usually.. This has just tested my ability to remain tolerable about it.. I have no plans to ever shop at Babies R US ever again.. due to this, , I would rather pay more and shop at Buy Buy Baby where there is a remarkable difference in the way the staff treat their customers and help to make the shopping experience enjoyable.
    TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AT BABIES R US.. I dont want to spend my money somewhere where the people treat you like dirt..

Cher Wheeler Jun 09, 2011

Babies R Us rewards program is garbage!! Do not sign up for it or waste your time and money at their stores! There are way too many rules and stipulations! They advertise that if you buy 9 boxes of diapers then you get the 10th free. After buying 8 box at about $40 each I learned that you have to buy them all in a 9 month period. It had already been 9 months so my rewards went back to 0! $360 spent in their store at a higher price than anywhere else, with the expectation of getting a free box of diapers only to be told I get nothing! It's the same with the reward points, you have to spend $150 in a three month period and some months don't count, but they don't tell you that when you sign up they just get you in there and let you think you are accumulation points when you actually get nothing. Been using the rewards card for 2 years and have received 0 benefits from it. Don't waste your time!

• Tf
    TF12 Jan 16, 2011

I agree that the service in Babies R Us is not for the customer, they have you running around from place to place but not telling you exactly what you have to do. I asked an associate how to put an item on layaway and was told here is the number you can go to the cashier and pay, when I went to the cashier I was told I had to go back to the furniture department and place the item on layaway and then go back on line. I complained to the manager and he stated who did I talk to, well they should wear a name tag. tf totowa, nj

• Bl
    Blah01 Oct 18, 2010

Wah Wah Wah...People have too much time on their hands to whine about a FREE program. Instead of me sitting around waiting for coupons to arrive to me in the mail I WORK for it to appreciate it. Instead you sit on your ### and wait for someone else to take care of you!! Therefore, most people will just whine because someones offering them something FREE and they didn't get it or what they expected. What would you have to whine about if they didn't even offer the program to ya?? Plus why does everyone have to cry and always state their are going to blog this all over and their facebook page..OOOOOOOOOO facebook!! lol. I guess some people are just ungrateful period!!

• St
    Steve-ooo Oct 12, 2010

Beware when you think you get your 10th diaper box free after purchasing 9 before. I have 3 kids (twins, 18 month old) and a 3 year old in diapers (imagine my diaper consumption) and buy my diapers exclusively at Babies R Us as they were cheaper compared to Target, etc. when we lived in Pennsylvania. We received our first free diaper box certificate and two mailings of $5 off, etc. coupons but thereafter, we did not get any mail from them at all. I called the customer service numerous times verifying mailing address (as if it changed) and they could not figure out why the certificates show as mailed but never arrived on my side. They basically insinuated that the mailman or neighbors are swiping them. Idiots! The certficates also show in their system as never redeemed. Wonder why? Now I moved to VA where I was told it is quite unlikely that people swipe my certificates and overall Babies R Us rewards mail - at least statistically. Guess whaat - a certificate mailed in June and coupons mailed in August also did not make it here or to my old address (note: all mail forwarded arrived here incl. my frequent flyer program mail). When I called for the nth time customer service I got to the highest escalation point and they told me as they already gave me a one-time courtesy voucher for the second certificate I never received, there is nothing they can do for me now. I think they are just not mailing it as they are trying to save $$$ and the process they set up is geared towards "we show it as sent, you claim you did not get it". Sorry. When we asked them to credit the certificate to our online account (which they do for everything else...sorry, can't do it. Guess what, I have a solution - buy diapers online now. Have a nice day, Scams-R-Us!!! This will be posted all over the internet including my facebook page.

• Mg
    MGRtruth Sep 09, 2010

Ann, not all stores operate the way you describe above. You are correct that cashiers are required to ask a million questions when customers come through their lines. Being that it is a job requirement, of course they will be held accountable for asking everyone. What differs by store is how the management hold their employees accountable. I would never fire someone for asking the questions and not being successful. I will give them tips on a better approach and coach them on their behaviors. Just because you are not interested in a credit card or batteries does not mean others aren't. Babies R Us' customer base is 90% moms and I'm sure some of them would be interested in saving 10% on their first purchase plus earning $10 for every $250 they spend with the credit card. There have absolutely been customers who were thinking about going elsewhere for batteries, but were saved a trip by the cashier asking them if they needed some. How about instead of being bitter about something so minor and boycotting a store, you smile and say "no thank you" if someone offers you something your not interested in? Think about it, there are much bigger issues in the world you could focus your negativity on than a cashier asking you a question. [censored]bag.

AnnInOhio May 14, 2010

Although the way you were treated is reprehensible, I'm surprised the cashier didn't try to force credit card offers down your throat. Here's something interesting and totally appalling about Babies R Us that you may not realize. I have always wondered why the cashiers seem to ask so many questions and try to get me to sign up for so many different things at the checkout. They try to push their credit card applications on me, try to sell me batteries when I'm buying diapers, and generally just harass me with stupid offers and questions. Even if you get upset with the cashier for hassling you with these things, they just keep right on going. Well, do you know why that is? I was complaining about this to a friend of mine who works at Babies R Us, and found out that this is a corporate initiative. In fact, is is SUCH a strong corporate iniative that the the cashiers are treated in a very heavy-handed manner about making sure they ask all the questions, and they actually fire cashiers who not ask these questions to every single customer. In fact... and here's the REALLY offensive part... they will put a cashier on probation and then fire him or her if they cannot get enough customers to agree to sign up for their credit card offers. Can you believe that?!? In an economy where people are struggling, they have the audacity to force us to sign up for more debt, and to fire their employees if they are not able to convince us to sign up for more debt. Now not only am I annoyed with these questions that CLEARLY show Babies R Us is more concerned with their bottom line, even at the customer's economic expense, but I'm also totally offended. I will never shop at a Babies R Us again. Since I do not intend to sign up for credit cards I don't need, nor am I going to have batteries or other products forced down my throat, each time I say no could be the time that some poor cashier gets fired because his or her numbers on selling these things is not high enough. So, by not shopping at Babies R Us, not only am I avoiding their heavy-handed offers that prove they don't care about me as a customer, but I'm also avoiding being the customer thats helps contribute to a firing of a cashier, simply because they can't get me as a customer to buy into their things that Babies R Us has no business trying to force onto me in the first place. I suspect that when a company gets this desperate to hawk credit, it probably means they have serious financial problems as a business. Either that, or they are just completely out of touch with how to treat their customers. Maybe if enough of us customers just stop shopping at Babies R Us, they will get the point.

• Se
    Seattle Rob Apr 09, 2010

I took my daughter and newborn granddaughter to the Lynnwood, WA Babies R Us recently to treat them both to a little shopping spree. When I arrived, it was as though we were unwelcome terrorists: customers not only glared at us as though we were criminals (and we dress nicely, are clean and are quiet), some of them audibly mocked us. If that was not a shock enough, after feeling rather unwelcome, we proceeded to checkout and the clerk who served us was detached, scornful and dismissive. We left the store, my daughter's eyes brimming with tears. I will never, ever set foot in another Babies R Us or Toys R Us store again or visit their websites. This experience was wholly inexcusable.

• Jh
    Jhp7 Jan 09, 2010

I bought a lifetime crib for my daughter in Apr, 2017. This month i went to the store to order the full bed rail, but the store clerk couldn't find any info in the system. He asked me to leave the contact info and said i would be called for it tomorrow. Two days later, no calls at all. Then i called the store and asked what was going on. The receiptionist kept asking me if i had the clerk's name that served me before. She said she coundn't find any info and couldn't help. Of course, i don't accept her answer. she asked another person to talk to me. Then the guy finially find the item and told me that they only could order the full bed rail for me, but the toddler one they couldnt' because there was no such info for this item (this item was too old, over 6 months). I never know about this. I remember the sales person told me i could go to the store to order the parts when i purchased it. It happened only half a year ago. In fact, i don't need the rail right now, but i'm afraid something unexpectable will happen when i really need them. They promised everything when i purchased, but turn around, they changed their faces.

The guy on the phone said he found they have some full bed rail in stock, so i need to go to store and make an order. Then i ride half an hour and go there. I want to prove if they provide parts order service for the purchase after half or one year, so ask a store clerk, and she also "promised". Ok, then i called the guy i talked to. he asked another clerk to help me. You know what happened? She found out they didn't have such item in stock, and ask me to keep call them. What the hell! They fooled me totally. i said i leave my info and call me if there is such item. I was so angry. The unskilled workers, the bad service. I recommend people not purchase any furniture in Babies r us. One more thing, the first single cirb i bought was also in this store, they didn't have such item in stock, so i made an order two months before my delivery date. i received it two days before my due date after i called times.

• Ba
    Barte8 Dec 10, 2009

I purchased a gift card for my friend's baby before Xmas 2017. When my friend tried to use it he was told it had already been used by someone online. Several weeks have gone by, dozens of phone calls & emails & I still have not been help. They promised they would call me back & never did. I finally stopped my credit card payment & filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I am not used to being treated so shabbily. Obviously I won't be doing any future business with Babies R Us / Toys R Us.

• Su
    sumitra Nov 28, 2009

toys r us is the worst store i have seen in my life...one week before i have purchased a car parking garage toy for my kids...it was cost 30$...when i opened that toy at home...cars were not going smoothly through the track...they were stopping at many places...and my kids stopped playing with the track...ultimately i went back to the store and tried to return the toy...i was having the receipt and orignal packing box both...and i was not asking for the money back...i was just wanted to purchase another toy...and overethere employee refuse to take the car track...and told me we don't take the electronic items back and if you want a good return policy then shop from walmart or from some other store...and my toy was totally-2 manual... it wasn't electronic iteam at all...it was just having a microphone with some different types of car's sounds...to operate the toy we didn't need any type of battery...at last i called customer care(helpless customer care)...she said whatever that employee did..is that acc. to our policy...one more time i tried to return the toy...so i went back to the store...this time employee was more rude and she said i won't take it back because of my own right...and do whtever you want to do..call the police if you want or complain in corporate...ultimately i am at home with the same toy...i wil suggest everyone...DON'T PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM TOYS R US...DON'T USE THEIR GIFT CARDS...OTHERWISE YOU WILL GET STUCK...DON'T GOOOOOOOOOOOO TO TOYS R US!!!

notahappycampare Oct 20, 2009

Same thing happend to me in the same store...

notahappycampare Oct 20, 2009

I went into babies r us concord nc on 10/15/2017. I decied to purchase a car seat. I took it up front to purchase it and the price came up 50$ more than the tag on shelf was advertising. I asked to speak to a manager and this is when it went own hill. Shane the "store manager" treated me very poorly. he accuse me of swapping tags. I believe he treated me this way because i am an African american male. He told another manager to escort me out of the store. I am sooooo upset on the way i was treated over the stores mistake. I can not understand why they would not honor a tag that was above the product...

I will never shop at a Babies R US again...

• Hk
    hkmickeygirl Aug 02, 2009

Oh yeah...AND SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS!

• Hk
    hkmickeygirl Aug 02, 2009

Toys R Us is not Rent a Center! Read your receipt and follow the rules. Items must be returned in NEW condition in ALL original packaging!

• Ia
    Ian Dec 15, 2008

Babies R Us has a new return policy they put into action in August 2017. Over the years I've purchased several items from them in store and spent thousands. In the past I had never had a problem with any return. However, now they have a new return policy which they have neglected to inform their customers of and, as such, I am not able to return one of my items I purchased since it's just past their new 90 day return policy. I phoned the company's corporate headquarters earlier in the week and have yet to hear back from them.

• He
    Heather Dec 04, 2008

I have been trying to locate a bike in store since it is out of stock on the website. There are none in FL, but I located one in Mississippi. They advised me that it would take 8 weeks to relocate it to FL. I told my father about it and he called the manager at the MS store, (Tupelo), and advised him that he was trying to make a wish come true for his grandaughter for Christmas and wanted to know if he could purchase the bike over the phone on a credit card and have them ship it to him in FL. The manager said it was against store policy and he couldn't do it. I contacted guest services on the Toys R Us website, and they flat out told me, "Nothing we can do". Not the most customer service oriented company!! After all this, they are about to loose a customer who has spent quite a bit of money in both of there stores for the past 7 years. Oh well, does not seem like they care!

• Al
    Alison Nov 26, 2008

Ditto "MOMMY"
    it clearly states - GIFT RECIEPT = STORE CREDIT

As far as returns with no receipts? Please... do you have any idea how many people steal things and then return them for store credit? That is why the return policy HAD to change. Just hang on to your receipts and your fine as far as gifts go - they give a gift receipt with every purchase so if your gift giver did not give that receipt to you that is their fault.

jackie Oct 31, 2008

I just want to say that I have never dealt with a store online that has worse customer service policies.

• Valerie Aug 19, 2008

Don't waste your time at this job, I promise you, you will regret it. Sure I know the job markets hard, and its rare to find a job now a days, only take this job unless you have to!!! And if you do make sure you only work there for four maybe six months tops other wise you'll go insane. First of all when I started they attempted to start me off at 7 an hour and the minimum wage now is 7.02$ an hour or so I hear. I talked them up to 7.50 an hour, and every thing was alright for the first couple months there. Originally the managers there were awesome. However at the start of 2017 there were some changes with the management. People were fired from an already short handed store, hours were cut and I only had 18-20 hours to begin with. For about four to five months I probably on average received 10 hours a week at 7.50$... the check wasn't worth the paper it was on just about. When raises came they said that every one had received a '3%' cut.. however this was not true. People who were good at sales and talking poor people into buying crap they didn't really need received the highest raises. For my hard efforts at selling worthless warranties, and extra products I received packs of gum and candy bars! (just what you need right). Needless to say I was not rewarded for my hard work, and my efforts went un-noticed either that or no one cared. The new store manager (Ryan) they have their has a nice little mouth on him. Asked him for help once and he walked away muttering swear words. I also heard he has temper tantrums and once threw his clip board and swore even more for not making sales that day. One of the other managers (Ken) really made me angry when he made a remark about my appearance... I don't understand how that guys a manger, he simply does not think before he speaks. The only good thing about the job is the a few of the supervisors their the only decent people in that whole dang store! Not to mention if OSHA came in there they'd poop a brick. Because people would carry up to 70+lbs on their head like their from a third world country off very narrow, old, and un-stable ladders from a fairly high self. That store its self actually had the highest amount of workers comp. for Babie R Us store. So obviously no one cares about the employee's to much.

Now my raise was thirty cents... thats right oh lord don't let the almost 700 million dollar R US company go bankrupt for giving me a thirty cent raise and ten hours a week!! The management there isn't personable at all, there was no human resources for the last couple months I worked there and piratically no one cared about the employees.

So if thats the kind of people you want to work for, mangers who could care less about employee's safety, and rides them to sell products and warranties no one needs to get some gum! Oh boy! This jobs for you!

• Sr
    Sreejaya Vijayan Jul 22, 2008

Sir,

Iam Sreejaja...I have a baby for 6 months old.My delevery was in Lutheren General hospital (Chicaho-IL-60053)the complaint is after discharge from the hospital they did, nt given us any of sapmle packet enfamil, Diaper bag or any thing..My baby is using Efamil in her 1 month it self..I just wanted to inform you that.

Thanks
    Sreejaya Vijayan

• As
    Ashley May 25, 2008

I am currently registered with Babies R Us. For the past 2 weeks, nothing that has been purchased off of my registry has showed up as being bought. I've done some research on the internet on several forums to see if anybody else has experienced the same problem, and haven't been successful. There is an upwards of 50 to 60 items that are not showing up on my registry! I don't mean to sound material, but I spent a lot of time on my registry- and the last thing I want to do is run around in the last few weeks of my pregnancy making a million returns. Then another problem emerges if I do not get gift receipts for the many doubles I'm sure I will recieve! (Due to BRU's strict policy for returns)

Am I alone?

• Mo
    Mommy Mar 14, 2008

People, read the back of the reciept. It does for a matter of fact say a gift reciept is store credit only. Get a clue, and stop thinking you are entitled to something. Follow the rules as you would with anything else.

• St
    Stephanie Klik Feb 14, 2008

I had the same issue today. I had bought something for my son for Valentines day and had lost the reciept . My husband bought the same thing and when I went to exchange it they told me nothing could be done. I even contacted corporate and they told me that nothing was going to happen and they could do nothing for me. I will never shop from there again.

Cheri Simas Jan 16, 2008

I am disgusted with Toys R Us return policy. My son received a duplicate toy for his birthday. I tried to return the unopened toy for store credit and was told absolutely no refunds without a receipt. I then stated that I would be calling their corporate offices and the manager snidely rattled off the 1-800- TOYSRUS. I called 1-800-TOYSRUS and was told that I could not lodge a complaint on a corporate policy; if I wanted to complain I would have to write a letter.

I understand no cash or money back for an open item without a receipt. But what ever happened to trying to make a customer happy. Seems like Toys R Us has a chip on their shoulder and thinks it doesn't matter how we treat the customer, we are the only toy store around. Needless to say I will be shopping for toys at Target or Wal-mart from now on.

• Li
    Lisa Oguin Dec 21, 2007

I went into Babies 'R Us several months ago and purchased some items for my new grandson. He grew faster than anticipated and my daughter informed me that the items I bought for him would be too small, so I went back to the Citadel location in Colorado Springs, CO to return them. I only had the gift receipt because it had been several months, but it was within the 90 days indicated on the back of the receipt. When going into the store the customer service representative (Ha! that terminology is a joke!) went to process the transaction. To make a long story short, one of the items has originally been misticketed, so they refused to give me a refund on that item, saying it was not on the receipt and then they refused to give me a refund, saying that it was a gift receipt, so they could only give me a merchandise credit. When I made the purchase and they gave me the gift receipt, no one ever told me that you could not get a refund with a gift receipt and it is not stated anywhere in the return policy. The return policy is on the back of the gift receipt and nowhere does it say that a refund can only be done with the original receipt. The two ladies that helped were in no way helpful; they were resistant about the return from the beginning. The only time I have ever made a purchase at Babies 'R Us is the time when I made this purchase. I purchased 6 items at that time and I assure you that I will NEVER shop at Babies R Us again. Other people had told me about the abysmal service they received at Babies R Us, but I guess I had to experience it to believe them.

• As
    ashley Nov 01, 2007

I dont know if this would help or what, but Ive had problems like this also, but if the store is no good to you, try contacting the manufacturer. They usually have no problem replacing the product and will even pay for return shipping... hope this helps... oh also tell them your store experience... sometimes the manufacturers will have some huge say in how its going and the stores will get reprimanded...

• Valerie Sep 14, 2007

Babies R Us
    www.toysrus.com

I sent the email above to Babies R US customer care but so far I had no answer.

Its been already 10 days since I sent this email. Perhaps you can help me... I felling cheated.

Mirella Morabia

Dear responsibles for Babies R Us,

I'm writing after a huge disappointment that I had with the store. First of all it pays to mention that I'm brazilian and I dont live in the US (excuse my english). I've been to Miami last 2 weeks and I bought several things at the Aventura store. As it is my first child, I bought as much as I could. In general, me and my mother spent almost US$ 3000 in this particular store (i have all the receipts with me). For my surprise, when i got back to Brasil and opened the box of "primo Viaggio mint" by Peg Perego I found out the merchandise was all damaged. The protection os the seat was totally used. I suppose our attendant named Caseem gave us the last product that was on the store. But he NEVER mentioned that it will come dirty and with an appearance of 2 years used. I really dont know how to manage this situation, besides the fact that i'm very very frustrated (again, it is my first baby.

As I said i dont live in the us but regularly I'm flying over there to buy things for me and friends. You may know how many brazilian clients you have.

The receipt that contains this buy is under number 6510/99 T 5804:8 / C-90640. The total amount of this buy was US$ 1008,74, in my mother's credit card: Marguerita Morabia.

I bought also the Pliko P3 mint, and many other things as clothes, blankets, mobiles, etc. If you need, i can send all the others receipts details.

Please, I'm looking forward to hear from you and specially with some idea to solve this problem.

I can send also pictures showing this problems. (let me know if you need)

Thank you for your attention.

Mirella Morabia

Janece D. Jackson Sep 04, 2007

I went to buy a case (6 32oz cans) of Enfamil Lipil AR for the advertised price of $28 (regularly $34.97). The store listed no restrictions on the kinds of Enfamil to buy on sale. There was a sign next to each type of Enfamil for the $28 sale. At the checkout , it did not ring up at the sale price or even the shelf price. It rang up for $38.97. I told them that there was a sign in front of it for $28. They said well it's actually only for the Enfamil Lipil (the regular one without ar, etc.). I said that was false advertising and that it be corrected and also the shelf price be corrected. I am upset at this and want to be compensated for time. I actually went to the store the day before and they were out of the Enfamil Lipil AR case so I made a special trip again today for nothing.