Asset Recovery Associatesthreatened me with lawsuit if I don't pay on old credit card bill

A

Today I received a call from joseph brazzi. He said he was with ara-asset recovery associates, 1919 s. Highland #225a, lombard il 60148. He was giving me notice that my husband's visa credit card ending in 5940 was about to go to court on default. He stated that the card provided by providian visa was in default to the tune of $5994.48. He had all kinds of information on me: my physical address, my mailing address, my social security number!, the fact that my husband passed away in march 2016. Now I was liable for the amount and he wanted to resolve it in my best interests. He passed me on to denise stone in the legal department. She would help me resolve the issue before it would go to court. Denise said that they had sent me numerous mailings to resolve the issue. I tried to explain that when we did have the credit card over 20 years ago we quickly paid it off because of its high interest rate. She claimed there was activity on it up to march 2015 and that the balance had to be paid off. I was now liable since gary had passed. I asked her to mail me the papers to show what all of this was about, but she kept calling me "difficult" and that she was only trying to help me out of a difficult situation. She was willing to set up a payment schedule. I continued to ask for the paperwork until I realized the conversation was going nowhere. I told her that I was going to call the attorney general and I hung up on her. I called ag immediately.

• Li
    lindav Jun 29, 2017

I received a lot of calls without messages & today they left a message to call Taylor Thompson with her number & etc.
    I called and it was Asset Recovery & associates telling me I owed over 4000, 00 dollars on a credit card which I never had.
    They proceeded to say it could of been sold from another bank which I owed. I told them back in the late 90's I was unable to pay the credit card but we made an agreement to pay a certain amount every month, which I did then they merged with another bank & I received a letter in 2010 to pay off the balance. After talking to them we agreed on a settlement amount which I paid & the account was satisfied & they sent me a letter to that effect, of coarse I can't find the letter & I called the bank after speaking to ARA and the bank went back in their arcives & assured me it was satisfied! ARA had all my information SS, address past & present & my credit report showing all my accounts...very scary, they said they could accept 2, 729.00 now & use my 2 credit cards to pay it. When I said NO they said there would be a judgment put against me which will affect my credit score & garnersheet my wages & a judgment on my home. So if I could give them 10% down now & pay the remainer in the next 2 wks it will not be sent to court & with attorney fees will cost me over $7000, 00. I know I don't owe anyone & haven't received any letters in the mail saying I do. My credit score is great with no negativities for over 8 or more yrs> I think they are scammers & in the State of NJ after 6yrs they can't bring suit against you anyway.