Archives.comScam -- call cust svc @ [protected]

J

I've noted the other complaints about Archives.com slamming credit cards, event though people **attempt** to cancel their trial membership. In my case, I tried to cancel the trial and received no reply. I made two more attempts to cancell and was still able to log in. Note that there is no phone number listed for customer service so you are at the mercy of their failed email response system.

Fearing the credit card slam, I located this number [protected]) which is listed in the "Aboutus" section of their site if you can find it... I contacted them and (finally) they sent an email confirming my cancellation.

Note, If you order **any** "certificates" or other services during your trial period, you will be charged.

I should have checked this website before ever starting the trial membership.

Caveat emptor...

• Db
    DBOkay Jun 21, 2018

That phone number does not work. This is a subsidiary of Ancestry.com and I contacted the Better Business Bureau of Utah through their online form. I complained about the fact that it cannot be cancelled and that to satisfy me, I want 6 months of those charges refunded. I also mentioned that Ancestry.com has a high BBB rating and wondered why when they are scamming people. Anyway...a few days later, I got a note from them that they had contacted Ancestry and they have agreed to refund 6 months that they have been charging me.

The BBB of Utah form is really easy to fill out. The next day after Ancestry agreed, the 6 months payments ended up back in my account. I believe they don't want to ruin their rating, yet they want to make it difficult to cancel, so my advice is to
    1/ Try several times phoning the number on your card line item. If no success (the phone never picked up for me), then
    2/ go directly to BBB of Utah online and fill out their form and
    3/ include at least one line item screen shot showing the phone number and amount debited from your account--just the line item not your entire statement, and
    4/ complain that you can't cancel and ask for as many months as you've been trying to cancel.

The BBB of Utah was AWESOME. I couldn't have gotten my money back without them.

• Re
    Reviewer47426 Nov 02, 2015

have tried for 2 days to cancel without success

• Di
    disappointed in archives Jun 12, 2015

I had the same problem. I called to cancel within my three days and they had already charged my account. I thought it was some sort of scam when I called to cancel and never got a live person and after waiting for more than five minutes, I was disconnected. I called back again and the same thing happened. I finally went online to contact us in an unrelated field and was called back. I then cancelled only to find out a week later they charged my account. anyway.

• Lu
    luvacat2 Jun 24, 2013

Another phone number given to me by my bank is [protected]. It is a good number I used it.

JustMike Jan 05, 2012

Kelli B, glad you were able to reach a human being and cancel. You nailed it when you wrote - "When it is this difficult to cancel, something is wrong."

I'd suggest keeping the cancellation email for a long time and watching your credit card charges online like a hawk. Archives is a disreputable outfit and, judging from the numerous complaints, they'll miss no opportunity to slam your plastic. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

JustMike Jan 05, 2012

"Hi JustMike, we're glad our customer service team was able to help you over the phone. The free trial includes access to our 260+ records collections. Members (including those in the trial period) also have the option to order hard-copy certificates and other special products (like DNA tests or discounted NewspaperARCHIVE memberships) at an additional cost. We hope to ensure our customers' full satisfaction, and we are happy to issue a refund when a customer is not satisfied with our products. If we can be of further assistance, please contact us at that number [protected]) or at [email protected] Sincerely, Chelsea-Archives."

Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea... please give it a rest. But, thank you, I require no “further assistance” as I have successfully canceled my trial membership.

If you truly “hope to ensure our customers' full satisfaction, and we are happy to issue a refund when a customer is not satisfied with our products.” then fix your damned website. It would be a snap to put a customer support link at the top of the page and include the phone number on the customer service page somewhere near the image of the ditzy blonde. Here's your customer service page and it's still the same old same old, isn't it?

But websites that offer 'free trials' fall in one of two categories:

- Some that have faith in their service and know that a fair share of new customers will continue the service at the end of the trial period, or...

- Those that hope new customers will fail to cancel before the end of the trial period for one reason or another and the website will be able to slam the customer's credit card.

Sadly, your outfit falls in the latter category. You deliberately make it difficult to cancel, hoping that the process will take too long for the customer to contest the charges on their credit card. Shame on you, Chelsea. If anyone will take the time to Google "Archives.com" they'll find an abundance of complaints and the pattern is all too familiar, isn't it? Missing emails, slammed credit cards, zero customers service, etc. Worse yet, I could not find a single positive review of your service. Yes, I did notice your futile attempt at damage control...

As for the customer service 'ticket numbers' and (supposedly) lost emails, that's a load of crap. The entire registration, payment and – if necessary – cancellation/email process is easily **automated**. Cancellation and the subsequent confirmation email should be entirely automatic and require zero input from some minimum wage representative. It is not rocket science so, please, tell your boss to get a clue.

• Ke
    Kelli B Jan 03, 2012

Thanks Justmike, this really helped me. I agree with everything you said. The email address I signed up with was not recognized when I tried to cancel, the system archives.com set up for correspondence would not load properly (therefore would not send), and I saw no hope of reaching anyone until I saw this post. When it is this difficult to cancel, something is wrong.

I called the number you provided (thank you) and got a human who said he would cancel me (no charge).

Chelsea-Archives.com Jan 03, 2012

JustMike Dec 22, 2011

Wow! Looks like The Fact Police, Ramelle & Ragon (aka smegma breath) decided to hold ### Fest 2011 on this thread. It never dawned on me that -- as welfare recipients -- they had no credit cards and therefore might be unfamiliar with anything requiring plastic.

Please continue the festivities and you may have the last word. C-ya.

;^)

JustMike Dec 22, 2011

Please have someone show you how to follow the link above and see if y9u can find Aboutus or the phone @ from withing the site.

Does the full moon bring out the trolls? Is Weed that boring? I realize that you've never enrolled and clearly you haven't read the terms & conditions. The words "cancel, " and "cancellation policy" are not mentioned anywhere on the website.

Sorry to know your significant other.

• Ramelle Dec 22, 2011

The cancellation policy is in the terms and conditions that shoyld have been read before agreeing to the free trial. "About us" is available to anyone, member or no, by clicking on the site, and how dare you call Lovey a company shill!

JustMike Dec 22, 2011

Clearly you've never been a member of Archives and you appear to be shilling for them. I'm typing this slowly so everyone can read it, but:

- "Aboutus" and the ph # are **nowhere** to be found... once someone enrolls.

- Any reference to customer service, complaints, questions leaves one with two options -- email or snail mail.

- One might assume that the **customer service** ph # would be listed on the **customer service** page, but it is conspicuous in its absence. Oddly enough, the customer service page is graced by a smiling young blond wearing a headset. I wonder who she is talking to...

- If a person was a tad skeptical, they could almost assume that the lack of ph # was **deliberate** and that sets the stage for mysteriously "lost emails" and the total lack of response.

- No contact + no cancellation email = credit cards slammed for $39.95 + little recourse for the screwed consumer who will not be able to convince the credit card company that they cancelled...

Read the other complaints to discern the pattern and, by all means, please sign up for the 'service.'