Archives.comI will never use their services again

B

I had an charge for automatic renewal on my credit card statement. I called the phone number and was told that they sent me an email confirmation that my account was going to be renewed. I told them that I did not receive the email. Automatically I am at fault? They said I should check the way my email is set up. Junk mail, etc. I have been in IT Tech Support for more than 20 years. I think I know how to check email. They never sent any confirmation and even if they did, they should be required to wait for my reply before charging me. I canceled and will never use their services again. If you take my advice, neither will you.

• Ju
    Justsayinma Jan 29, 2013

I fell for it too because I've seen their ad so many times on Ancestry.com, which I trust. Archive is a 90% scam. They have, current generation, info on people like a detective site, but not many historic records, like they claim to have, for genealogy research. Some of you are getting Archive.com and Ancestry.com confused. Archive is a site advertised on Ancestry, but you have to sign-up for it separately. Until we know different we should assume there is no affiliation between them, and we certainly expect there is not. Agencies will never be able to shut them down because they have a legit search engine & some data. The only way is to petition Ancestry.com to remove all reference to them, then they, (Archive.com ) lose 99% of their business. Ancestry will lose some ad $$ but it's necessary to keep, our trust, and their repetition, which no business can exist long without and is near impossible to retrieve after it's lost. (Noticed an Archives.com ad on this message board. Just sayin.)

• Ri
    Rimaase Jan 10, 2013

I have been doing Genealogy for nearly 30 yrs. When I went to Archives.com they stated that I was a member, yet I could not sign-in. I even went as far as to give a credit card, and would have actually paid for info, but the site continued to refuse to give me access. I wrote to "[email protected]" and received NO RESPONSE. I wrote again, and again. FRAUDULENT comes to mind. I will contact my credit card service to refuse payment if they have the nerve to try to take any $. I deal with many genealogy services and this one brings the words SHAMEFUL FRAUDULENT SCAM to mind!

• Il
    Ilimaike Jan 04, 2013

I ordered a free sample of this companies product for the cost of shipping and handling. Two weeks later, my credit card was charged $97.88 without approval. When I called, they said I signed an agreement to pay this amount each month for the product.Not sure where you can find this, never have seen the agreement. It is obviously set up to be that way.

• Ew
    Ewors Sep 14, 2012

Horrible and unprofessional! I have just gotten off the phone with manager Melissa, who did nothing to help me get my money back (I was charged 2017, 2017 and 2017). They refunded the money from this year, as it was placed yesterday, but as of previous year she suggested I should take care of my finances and that they don't do it for clients!! Now the aspect that angered me and that I see described in previous comments: to sound professional they claim they always send emails prior to placing charges on a card. GUESS WHAT? NEVER got any...When I asked Melissa about it, she claimed (!) they were courtesy emails and they didn't have to take responsibility for them getting lost! After I said it was odd I never got them, three years in a row, and how I suspect they were never supposed to be delivered, so that I wouldn't really know about the charge, she claimed I should be responsible for my account regardless if I get an email or not. Well, nice customer service, Archive.com - let's just admit, you DO count on people not noticing your charges and the courtesy emails you should send that you so proudly emphasize NEVER make it to clients inbox. They don't go to their junk folder as you strongly suggest, you just NEVER SEND THEM (they will say just about anything to make you look like a fool who doesn't have control over their life and will blame their shortcomings on you or your email account pushing their emails to its junk folder). Ironically, just when I was ready to hang up on Melissa, I got an automatic email from Archives about the phone call I placed AND I GOT THIS ONE!! So, the marketing emails MAKE IT to my inbox, but the ones about CHARGES DON'T? Right, I get it. Keep counting on people not noticing the charges and then bombard them with your ready to use phrases that are formed specifically to corner the client, make them look stupid and get off the phone, so you can keep their money. Lesson learned - NEVER provide your credit card for a FREE trial. ARCHIVES.COM is a SCAM.

• Gu
    Gundee Aug 30, 2012

Am going to cancel my free trial immediately. I think their records are in very poor disarray, their trees & "my Records" are not user-friendly and furthermore, it is very hard to discontinue. If you do sign up, keep the first email they send you. It has the link to where to go if you want to cancel. They certainly DO try to trick people into unwanted subscriptions. You get what you pay for!

• Ra
    RarelyComplain Aug 11, 2012

From what I've read, most any of these services (aimed at people who are willing to put up some cash just to nose around in other people's business) are a scam Makes sense too. Nosin' around is a difficult-to-resist aspect of human nature. I cant think of too many things that could catch more suckers.

• Ku
    Kulmas Aug 01, 2012

I, too, regret that I did not read reviews for this bogus "company" prior to signing up for the 7 day free trial. I talked to two people (their customer service offices are in Omaha) who seemed to be reading off a script broken record style. One supposedly was a "supervisor"...in reality probably was the desk buddy of the previous person I spoke to. I asked for the address to send my request for a refund of this worthless service and for a contact person to whom I could send to their attention and he would not give a supervisor or head of customer service name. When I asked for the address of the corporate headquarters, he said he wouldn't give that out because customer service is in Omaha. Really? So what if all us unhappy customers wrote to the corporate headquarters and flooded their office with the stories of their atrocious and borderline scam service? I plan on sending letters there AND to "customer service" whose address is PO Box 391146, Omaha, NE 68139, at least that's the address according to the faux customer supervisor I just got off the phone with. I wonder if these people are aware that they have a non-credible rating as compared to a reputable company such as ancestry.com? I could only hope that as is stated on this site, that the owner of archives.com does see these reviews. Oh, wait, that would mean that the higher ups actually care about their reputation out there...somehow I don't think they care the least...only about the money their are raking in at the expense of the unknowing public.

• Da
    Dave Elhart Apr 04, 2012

My daughter's checking account was charged for a 39.95 charge to this web site today...she has never gone to this website, let alone that she doesn't even do genealogy. Someone has given her information to this website and they have charged her for it...she's also a college student so some of her money is provided by me...thanks for ripping us off people...they need to shut this place down...

• La
    Lamiker Apr 03, 2012

It's not bad enough that they fraudulently charge your credit card after promising that they won't and don't allow you to cancel after promising that they will. When you decide to try to use the site, since you were forced to pay for it, it is absolutely useless. These people couldn't find their own mother is she was living next door to them. It's a shame that sites like this don't get shut down!!!

• Ta
    Tamtone Mar 12, 2012

My mistake, should have read others reviews first before I fell for their "free 7 day trial". Had to enter credit card info-another RED FLAG I blindly ignored. My card got charged immediately, the site is horrible, the phone # they provide for customer service is constantly a fast busy signal(even more bogus) and I got bilked out of $ and had to deal with credit card fraud paperwork to ensure they don't take even more$. STAY AWAY...

• Pr
    Prior Feb 02, 2012

I had a suspicion about this site, and almost did the same thing as described above: provide my CC info, check it out, then possibly cancel if it was bogus info.

THANK YOU ALL for taking the time to write about your experiences! I'm sorry you lost money, but I really appreciate you taking the time to warn others like me. :) You saved me money I could not afford to lose.

• Th
    TheresaM Dec 24, 2011

They did the exact same thing to me except they charged me $59.88 after cancelling and removing billing information from the account. They had absolutely nothing useful to me, whatsoever.

Chelsea-Archives.com Oct 20, 2011

Hi Baptene, we apologize that you did not receive the renewal notification. These are typically sent to all customers before renewal billing. We try to ensure maximum email deliverability, and are sorry for any inconvenience. When you sign-up, your Archives.com membership automatically renews annually so you do not experience an interruption in service. You can cancel anytime online to prevent future billing and still retain access until the end of the year period. If we can be of further assistance please contact our friendly customer support team at [email protected] or [protected]. Sincerely, Chelsea - Archives.com

• Br
    Brad - Member Services Oct 13, 2011

You are able to contact Archives.com at [protected] if you have a billing question.

• K1
    K10889 Oct 11, 2011

I've been looking into my family history and was referred to archives.com by another geanology website. Of course, you cant even see the documents you search for until you are a paying member, so i signed up for the 7 day trial. Within 24 hours, i realized this website would be of no use to me, so i deleted my billing information from my account, and then cancelled my subscription. I got a confirmation email saying my membership was cancelled, and i checked my checking account balance and saw that they had not charged me. Today, i was looking for something else in my banking history when i came across a "transaction" from a couple weeks ago (and at least a week after i cancelled my subscription)- $39.95 taken out of my account by archives.com. I emailed them, and havent heard back yet- but that seems to be typical of them from what i've read on these scam websites today. I will be contacting my bank about this to see what can be done, and im going to see what else can be done to get my money back.

• Di
    DisgruntledDude123 Oct 11, 2011

Please do not order from this company. You guys realize that you can call the county directly and get your document faster and cheaper. this is a scam. taking your money and running off with it. these people do nothing but charge you 5 times the amount of a certificate and order from the county, exactly what you couldve done for cheaper!!! You ask why I know this, because I have worked for them. Please do not fall into this scam!!!

• Br
    Brad - Member Services Oct 07, 2011

If you have a question concerning billing you are able to contact Archives.com at [protected].

• Ta
    Tarxof Oct 07, 2011

AVOID THIS SITE AND IT'S BUSINESS!
    I subscribed to their 3 month service to find information on myself - prior to payment, it did not show any detailed results for me - only a list of numerous general first name initial and last names records. After I subscribed, I logged in and reviewed the information I input - I was no where in their records, divorce, legal, birth - nothing!! I wrote to them immediately (within 15 minutes of discovering NOTHING) requesting cancellation of the service. No response, no nothing!

THIS SITE SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN AND PEOPLE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR OPERATING A SCAM!!