ADVERTISIMENT

Arbonnesales rep demands ssi#&all credit card info.&birthdate as well

I was helping a friend who was in a new business selling specialized cosmetics and when orders were taken she had to have ALL the info. off my credit card, my date of birth and my ssi# I objected because any one who got that information could steal my identity. I know this young woman well and she would never in a million years do anything that wasn't legitimate. I am concerned that this company, ARBONNE, IS DOING SOMETHING ILLIGITIMATE!

• Kr
    KristyM Apr 15, 2014

Just a little FYI here, I tried Avon for a split second (couldn't stand the products) and guess what? They also ask for your SSN #. Anyone want to slam AVON who has been around 125 years!? Thought not. And no, I haven't signed up for Arbonne yet, but I want to.

• Ju
    JustaSpoonful May 17, 2011

Just thought I'd mention that Watkins is still around and that they do indeed give free product to hosts or hostesses based on event sales. Sure, in Canada you need at least $250 in sales to benefit, but the products are free and you can choose anything you like. Not all mlm companies have a bad rap.

• Ca
    Caowe1 Feb 09, 2011

OK Group! Home Party Consultants everywhere are giving nothing FREE. The companies, no matter what company, Longaberger Baskets, Candles, Home Decor, whatever are incentive based programs for the customers. If you sell/buy X amount you get something for 1/2 price. Earn dollars to get something. Usually the cheap stuff they show you that you can pick from.
    Remember or not when the Fuller Brush Man, the Insurance Man, the Watkins Man, The Vacume Sales Guy, The Encyclopedia Guy all came to the housed to sell to you. Well think about this cry babies about Network marketing. With all the companies folding, millions out of jobs. We might see a return of people selling door to door to put food on the table. That is all anyone is ever trying to do. Not everyone is a good sales person, not everyone follows through. There are very good people doing very well with customers who are good business people trying and working at making a living. You have choices. Yes and yeah America, we do have choices. If you do not like home parties, don't have them, if you don't like network markerters, do not use them. It is all all about your personal choices. I you like using 6 tons of Dove hand cream once an hour, don't buy expensive handcream that does not have 6 gallons of solvent in it. Yep, Alchohol is a Solvent!! Can tak your nail polish right off those cute little fingers.

• Ca
    Caowe1 Feb 09, 2011

Oh Brother!!! Who or what organization now days does NOT have your Social Security number. Yes they ask all of this only when you sign up. If it is a huge deal get Life Lock, Identity Theft from Pre Paid Legal or any other company. Our socials are floating all over and they can also find you personally any time the Gov. wants just by your cell phone. All your e-mails are screened also. Your still using the internet and your phone.
    Welcome to 2011.

• Mi
    Mickey71 Feb 23, 2010

Hi Prairie Dweller,

I know every Arbonne rep runs his/her business a little different, but all of our reps in my line always give a completely 100% free $35 Can. value product up front at the beginning of the pary as a thanks for doing the party. Also, you are never encouraged to put out a lot of food and drink, unless it is your usual group of friends and you love to do that anyways.

I am not very active with Arbonne in Canada at the moment, but there are many ways of doing Hostess rewards, and I didn't always charge the $27 for the $100 product - it is different in Canada, but I would just give them $100 free product for every $300 retail that was sold at the party, plus their free gift. I don't think I ever had a dissatified hostess, not that I am aware of. It is up to each Arbonne rep how to run their business, and some are more generous than others as to what they give away.

I am surprised that your rep would say the Preferred Client membership was your 'reward' that is misleading, as it is everyone's choice to sign up for that, and you certainly didn't need to sign up for the PC to get your $100 for $27, she could just put those orders along with her 'party order'. It is completely different from getting the year long PC membership. She was probably trying to sign people up that month to meet her quota, and that was her way of making it look attractive, or to coerce you into signing up, but it seems to have the reverse effect on you!

Also, in Canada, we only have to give the last 4 digits of our SS # never the full number. I have had people give completely different numbers for ex. drivers license numbers or whatever, as they don't remember their SS #. So identity theft is not really a problem with that covered.

If you like the products, go on Ebay and get some cheaper, or go on arbonne.com and find a different rep who WILL give you a free product for hosting- but I think you are probably done with hosting - and I don't blame you.

• Ar
    ArbonneAli Feb 06, 2010

Dear Praire Dweller,

Please call 800-ARBONNE anytime or log onto www.arbonne.com to post this concern. There is a CONTACT US button. Customer Service will respond. If you are that sceptical, I'm sure you did this already before you would get on the internet and discuss something your not informed. I would love to see you Priaire Dweller come back on this blog and follow up with the understanding of the situation after you have been informed properly.

If you were opening a preferred client account (which is allowing you to re-sell product), much like if you opened a franchise to sell items from a store you would need to provide the company a TAX ID # to the state so they can collect taxes. This is standard for any business owner. I own several businesses. This is usually a social. However, you can create a tax id # with the state. When buying a direct marketing companies products ou do NOT have to open a preferred client /reseller account.

To buy Retail is your first option. Simply pay suggested retail. Much like if you became a re-seller of any other beauty product. Also log onto www.arbonne.com and click shop now. You will be given a Client ID. No Social involved. If you host a party, you also get $100 of items for $20 + tax if the sales are $250. Your rep does not need a social if you are just getting your $100 of product as our thanks for opening your home.

• Pr
    PrairieDweller Dec 05, 2009

Living the Dream:

1) Yes, I am serious. Arbonne does not need our SS# to process refunds. Are YOU serious? And commission check?? Again, who signed up to sell this stuff? No me! Being a preferred client, once again, explained to me, was my reward for having great party sales. Why do you need my SS#?

2) As to your "um...that's 80% off!" comment. Let me explain how I came across this Arbonne rep. This woman had a booth set up at a summer festival. Her sign said "sign up for a free drawing" for product. She calls 3-4 wks later and tells me I won the drawing (woooo-hooo!!). What is it? I won a "girls spa night". I'm thinking - well, okay this should be fun and I get at least a free product of some kind, so yeah!
    Turns out, I had a good party with sales enough to not only be eligible to purchase stuff at 80% off as you put it, but I reached the preferred client status! YAY! But what does that mean? Well.. I get to purchase products at a great discount for one full year. I think that's a bit strange, but think if I end up liking the product, I would actually buy it year round, so cool IF I like it.
    NOT SO FAST sister. I need your Social Security number if you want to take advantage of the deal.
    I'm like.. "look, no one asks you for your SS# for buying purposes. This has to be wrong". I earned this and am not signing up for ###, so why the SS#?" She says she will check into it just to make sure it's not just for those signing up to be a consultant, but she's sure the deal is correct.
    In the meantime, I'm also doing research on the subject, still in disbelief that this is necessary when I "earned" this yr-round discount from party sales. LOL Guess where it led me?! Right here to the complaints board where I find many others complaining of the same practice.

3). I am a business owner. Not an affiliate, not a sales rep, but a business owner. I run a retail website that is nearing 10 yrs in business. I collect and process personal information on 10's of thousands of customers a year. I also process refunds. Never once have I had need to issue these folks a 1099 or ask them for their SS# to give them back their money. Um... yeah.
    Now gee, should I have affiliates/distributors/sales reps out there that I cut commission checks for... YES, then now I will need to ask for SS# & issue 1099's.
    But there's a difference. One is a CUSTOMER and the other is NOT. Do y'all see the difference yet?
    Why even use this offer unless you are signing someone up to be a consultant? Don't even mention it until then, as that is exactly what you are doing

Once again - no free gift - didn't earn anything but a discount on a little product - rep was very misleading in her pitch.
    How much does Arbonne know about the reps they ask to collect all this info? There's only a handful of institutions that would even ask for your SS# (loan companies, employers, the IRS etc), but this little Arbonne rep would have had every single piece of information to steal one's identity: name, address, phone, CC# and SS# should anyone be stupid enough to hand it over.
    IF I had signed up to be a consultant/rep whatever you call them, then I should be expected to give my SS# to ARBONNE themselves, NOT the rep. The rep isn't even an employee of Arbonne, they are independant contractors that are 1099'd!!

Very shady practices, in my experience. And though not every rep is as ignorant as the one I ran across (in any company), she did quote Arbonne policy on the SS# thing and that is to me, the biggest deal closer about this company.

• Li
    Living the Dream Nov 18, 2009

PrairieDweller, are you serious? When you register for a discounted account, Arbonne wants your SSN in case they have to issue you any refund or commission checks, for tax purposes. I apologize that your consultant/friend didn't explain that to you. I have never had a problem when I've explained that to any of my clients.

As for your party, for every $250 sold in product, you earn $100 of product for $20--plus tax (umm...that's 80% off!!). Most consultants give the hostess a free gift to begin with, but it depends on who your consultant was. Again, I don't know who your consultant was, but she should have told you not to go all out on food, drink, etc. Our hostesses are supposed to feel appreciated, because like you said, you are providing us a place to meet new people and opening your home to the company. I never encourage my hostesses to pay a lot for food and drink or spend too much time cooking. The whole point of the party is to hear about the products, try them and if you want, to buy some things. If there is too much food, people get too wrapped up talking and eating. :)

And it's the worst party company you have ever encountered? Really? I have looked at plenty of party companies' hostess rewards plan and I believe that we rank up there in the top 3. My average party is $750, which means that my hostess walks away with $300 of product for $60, plus tax--and whatever gifts they got for free. Not too shabby!

I hate that you had such a negative experience, but calling out the entire company as a scam is just a little much.

• Pr
    PrairieDweller Oct 28, 2009

Whoa - They do NOT need your SS# for taxes and a 1099 for BUYING products as a CLIENT. Only if you are a reseller/rep and are making a business off of it.
    According to the rep I just held a party for, I get to be a "preferred client" as a reward that my party sales reached $250+
    As a "preferred client" I can order and re order products I want for a whole year at a big discounts. I'm not selling the stuff. The rep stated that was my reward for great party sales! And yes, the only catch is... they want your SS#! Not the last 4 digits... not a special pin or password, your full SS#.
    Now why in the hell would I need to provide that after I JUST DID YOU THE FAVOR of inviting friends and family over and giving up 3 hours of my life so you can sell your wares? Where is my reward? The $100 worth of products for only $27 surely can't be it, can it? That seems hoaky. I have to PAY for what I earned? Nothing free? WTF

I opened my home and my hospitality to this rep who did NOT tell me this is what I was in for. I had a great party, sold over the required $250 in products and what do I get?
    I get asked for my debit card number, DOB (to pay for my products I earned), full name and address and NOW my SS#.
    I refused. So because I refused to divulge my SS#, all I got for all of that time and money spent on snacks/drinks for hosting the party is to PAY $27 for something that's "worth UP TO $100" (by the way, there's no such thing). - oh, and all sets are off limits!

This is the absolute worst party company I have ever encountered. I actually LOST money and 3 hours of my life I'll never get back.
    DO NOT HOST AN ARBONNE PARTY WHATEVER YOU DO! TOTAL SCAM!!!

• Ld
    LDArbonne Oct 13, 2009

DJ G is correct, I have been a consultant for 3 years and that is the only reason they need that information, and that is for your 1099. Taxes need to be claimed if you make over $600 in commission from Arbonne, which you can easily do. Hope that helps too!

• Dj
    DJ G Oct 11, 2009

I have been a consultant with them for 14 years and the only time a consultant will ask for SS# is if the client decides to become a preferred client or a consultant and have their own account with Arbonne. Arbonne is a 29 year old company and very legit. They are considered one of the top primere companies in the direct selling / netowrk marketing industry. If you are just purchasing the products direct from the consultant then there is no need to give you SS#, all that owuld be needed is you CC info, phone, address etc. I hope this helps.

Comment Guidelines