Airwick Plugins Air Freshnerruined table

K Review updated:

I unplugged the airwick and set it on my wooden table. The airwick leaked
And spilled on my table. It took off all the finish on the table. My table is completly ruined. I will take photos iff you would like. Thank you.

• Pr
    proto9 Apr 27, 2009

Kathy,

I had the same thing happen to me not too long ago. I was angry at first but I realized it wasnt air wick who was to blame but the carrier, i.e. Meijer. You might be a different case, but in mine they just put the broken one back in the box to sell.

I wish you luck and I am sorry to hear about what happened.

Shonna27 Oct 11, 2009

I have had the same thing happen to me on my brand NEW $1500 table and not to mention my new $350 dresser. I am completely pissed off! There is nothing warning you on the label about leaking or eating through the finish on your furniture. I believe that airwick is fully responsible! They could give the consumer a heads up on the product! I also believe they should have to PAY for a new finish as well as place a WARNING on the label!

• Bo
    Bobbi Provan Feb 06, 2020

@Shonna27 It ruined my countertop. I just had it plugged in normally and it dripped from the bottom, I didn't realize until it was too late. I am renting and now worried I will lose my $550 security deposit when I move.

maggii Jun 07, 2010

I am very upset. No warning you on the label about leaking or eating through the finish on your furniture. I believe that airwick is fully responsible! They could give the consumer a heads up on the product! I also believe they should have to PAY for a new finish as well as place a WARNING on the label! too! My desk is only 12 weeks old and take a payed Carpenter 6 hours to put together. I am sick over this!!!

Sandra N Mares Aug 07, 2020

@maggii Omg ruined my dresser im so upset

• Mz
    mzveep Dec 07, 2010

Mine leaked all over my wall and bubbled up all the paint and ate into the wallboard. There should be a WARNING about this!

• Ai
    Airwick Needs Leak Warning! Jul 11, 2011

Air Wick...plugged in 3 Apple Cinnamon (Red).
    1) By Kitchen sink
    2) Entry way into my Condo
    3) hallway to bathroom
    Saturday woke up to stains at #2 & #3 on beige carpet. I have tried everything to remove stains. These pictures are taken today after 3 days of trying to remove stains with everything from magic sponges to the best carpet spot removers.
    4) held phone for an hour to Airwick and when I finally got guy on phone, he was so sarcastic, I hung up phone. I have over $8, 000. of damage to carpeting.

• St
    Stephaniebros Nov 08, 2012

This just happened to me. I bought a box and it was damaged at the store one of my kids set it on our 1yr old nice wood table and it has a huge sticky and soft spot. Is there anyway to save the table?

jaynedelaney Mar 04, 2014

hi am so annoyed today my car freshner has leaked on my dash board and stripped the paint off, near the radio, omg why didant this say on label would never have bought it, going to take this furthur if no action taken, will send a picture if nessasary

• Ck
    ck125 Sep 25, 2014

I just completely renovated my bathroom and added an expensive mirror over the vanity. I plugged in an Airwick because I wanted it to be a nice final touch, after a few days of the Airwick and months of work to renovate the entire bathroom, the mirror is ruined. The Airwick removed oil from the mirror and now the dark brown from the mirror has a large gray spot where you can see the primer since the oil removed the finish. I'm so upset, if anyone knows of how to move forward about this, let me know.

• Me
    Melinda76 Nov 04, 2014

They will do nothing. $1500 table 4 months old and ruined. I will never buy airwick again. They said there is a warning on the label.

• Rl
    RleapsingUpperRespiratoryInfection Sep 21, 2017

@Melinda76 I'm dealing with health issues. Contact Consumer Protection and report your problem. If Airwick tries to call you, tell them you want all communication in written form through the US Postal Service. The company doing business as Airwick is as follows:

Reckitt Benckiser Inc.
    399 Interpace Parkway
    Parsippany, NJ 07054

Write them "In accord with the Freedom of Information Act and under the New Jersey Open Public Records Act, N.J.S.A. 47:1A-1 et seq." requesting the Safety Data Sheet for the oil and the wick so you have a record of the chemicals that is in this bad product. I am not attorney and not trying to advise you or anything, this is something I have done. Hopefully I will get the documentation for the fragrance that gave me problems. Just make sure you put the full name of the product and the scent that did the damage.

Good luck to you and anyone else that reads this response

• Ne
    Nessa477 Nov 17, 2014

I am a nanny and the same thing happened to me at my bosses house... I had no idea this would happen. They should definitely have something on the label. I hope my bosses are not too mad. I am very disappointed in the company for not saying anything...

• My
    mystifiedme Jan 18, 2015

I switched to Air Wick Plug-in for my newly reno'ed powder room because I had the paint stripped from the wall and baseboard in my home office from using the Fabreze version.
    The first bottle worked great! I inserted the second bottle the other day. The oil is dripping onto my brand new cork floor. The cork is discolored, soft and tacky. It's not drying!
    From the above comments I assume the manufacturer doesn't care.
    I'm going to tell everyone NOT to buy these products. I hope you will too!

• Cb
    cbrandon Jun 19, 2015

I also have the same issue with these Air Wick Plug-in's leaking their toxic oil all over the floor under the outlet that they are plugged into. It took the finish off of my floors in each spot in the house that I had them plugged in! Seems like a consumer protection lawsuit should be filled on this one as the repair costs for all of the damage everyone is mentioning is considerably high. It isn't easy to refinish your floors or furniture. Not to mention it is very hazardous to small children crawling on the floor if they get into it!

Why does this product have this defect. Why hasn't Air Wick addressed it publicly and what can they do to make it right?

• Tr
    Trailblazer4 Jun 24, 2015

Purchased mine at WalMart last week. Leaked all over bathroom counter and ruined the finish on a beautiful vase in front of it. Was the Apple Cinnamon scent. The plug-in has an
    open hole in the bottom allowing the fluid to just leak out. Anyone try a different brand with better results?

Christina Zimmerman Jul 26, 2015

I used Glade plug-ins under my newly refaced cabinets ($10, 000) worth of renovation. Upon replacing with a new plug-ins, I happened to look under the cabinets and noticed light brown round spot with yellowing surrounding the spot. It looked like the plug-ins got too hot and started to burn the finish of the under cabinet. I also noticed that the oil had evaporated after just 10 days leading me to believe that it burned out quickly because of the heat. I am very upset and mentioned it to my girlfriend and she had the same experience under her wood kitchen cabinets. I went to her house to check her damage and the wood under her cabinets had a grayish hue and was soft to the touch. She had damage in 3 areas while I had damage to 2. These oil plug-ins are dangerous and ruin everything that comes into contact with them. Has anybody had their issues resolved with the maker of these items and how does one get a resolution to this horrible problem?

• Sc
    Scj3025 Nov 14, 2015

Wish I had read these complaints before buying and plug-in the Airwick plug-in. In less than 6 hours I noticed it leaking down the wall. Cleaned it up right away only to find that it has eaten right through the paint. I bought one of the plug-ins in stead of something else due to all ready have a cat get into poporri and burning the inside of his mouth and throat, he almost died from it. Thought this kind woul be ok since it was all contained in its own container. How wrong was I.
    DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT! !!! WARNING!!! WARNING! !!!

• Tu
    tull Feb 02, 2016

plugin leaked on bathroom sink. MELTED my hairbrush. the odor sickended us and our dogs. condiering legal action.

• Ca
    Camlo Jun 07, 2017

@tull Hey Sheree, I have had the same problems with the Airsick product. I think we should take legal action. Who knows what the long term health problems could be. [protected]@yahoo.co.

sherry27 Apr 08, 2016

I can't believe that everybody has the same complaint I have I hope they know they have a problem here I should have seen this right when there was so many coupons coming in the mail for it probably cuz they can't sell it due to all the mishaps and complaints this completely ruined my $1, 600 brand new dinner table I only put it down for a minute it leaked everywhere there wasn't even a crack in the plug-in it just completely leaked out and ruined the finish on my table I hope they can do something about this if not I will sue

sherry27 Apr 08, 2016

Look what's a Air Wick plug-in did to my table it leaked everywhere into the finish right off

• Kr
    Kristen Allen Jun 05, 2016

I clean houses for a living. I unplugged a client's air wick and set it on the shelf so I could plug the vacuum in. I forgot to plug it back in and left it on the shelf. Next day we got a picture sent to us of a huge stain that ate through the wood!! now I have to pay for it!!!

• Tc
    TC710 Jun 23, 2016

Add me to the list of people pissed off about the Air Wick leaking and taking the finish off of furniture. It ate right through my dining room table. And how appropos that it made the shape of a p**** because I feel screwed right now.

• Ha
    Harvinder Landa Dec 21, 2017

@TC710 Omg I have the same problem, I don't know what to do and I can't think of any solutions.

• Ke
    kell13 Aug 13, 2016

This isn't specific to air wick it happens with other manufacturers like bath and body and febreeze. It is the chemicals that is in there. My coworker had a febreeze freshener and it took off the finish. it didn't even leak it was just the fumes. If it does that to the furniture think about what it is doing to our lungs. I am using all natural products from now on!!!

shodum Sep 26, 2016

I had my kitchen redone a few months ago. We have under counter lighting. I have Airwick Plugins in the outlet below the light. I bent down to pick something up from the floor and happened to look under the cabinet and saw that the light above the plugin and also the cabinet. The paint had bubbled and I just flaked it off. The plugin was very hot. It could have burned my house down.

shodum Sep 26, 2016

I should proof read before posting. It burned the light and the cabinet got so hot the paint bubbled.

• Lo
    Loretta F. Sharock DeBoer Oct 25, 2016

Air wick leaked when changing took color out of my carpet called company. They sent me coupons and blamed me that I put it down on the carpet and caused this damage not at all happy. No satisfaction. I will never use their products again

• El
    ElleDub21 Nov 20, 2016

It must be a chemical in all oil air fresheners because a Bath and Bodyworks brand one broke on our table. The spot looks like a bigger one of the versions about. I am changing to a wax melt plug in and looking for ideas on how to fix my once beautiful table.

Sam Fusco Mar 10, 2017

It is true. The Air Wick Fresh Scents automatic sprayers LEAK and cause damage. I don't use them anymore. I called the company and they sent me coupons for more!

• Ms
    Mshaynes Mar 13, 2017

I am reading complaints from 2015 it is March 13th 2017 and airwickplug in just ruin my dresser that's only 3 months old I am submitting a picture I still have the towel that I laid on top of my dresser in order put stuff up on it if someone has a lawsuit against them please include me because I have no money to have my dresser refinished I am also attaching a picture Richmond Virginia [protected] if anyone knows of a lawsuit please let me know

• Ih
    Iheartkarma Apr 18, 2017

No excuse for this kind of damage from oil leaking from device. Table is ruined!

• Sm
    smeow Jun 19, 2017

Any idea on how to fix the wood damages?? I really don't want to have to buy a new dresser...

• Au
    Aurenaym0516 Jul 14, 2018

Hi guys same issue with me. 3, 000 dollar table from havertys. RUINED. Did anyone ever fix their table? I was thinking of maybe hiring someone to try and repair? I will never ever buy airwick again.

shantae84 Aug 30, 2018

airwick plugins leaked on my new table so mad.

Angrygamer101 Oct 07, 2018

Guys I have the same issue. Does anyone know if it’s the dispenser or the can itself?

• Mi
    MichelleJF Nov 09, 2018

I work for a home rental company- recieved a call from the resident stating that an old airwick system "ate at the floor". When i first heard his complaint, i will admit, i giggle. But when he sent in pics, its no laughing matter. Airwick should really do something about this since the complaints been coming in since 2014!!

• Mo
    Monica Rivers Jan 17, 2019

OMG, I had that problem on my grooved table and noticed that the airlock leaked. I brushed it off as a back apple in the bunch. Now, I sat one on my night stand because I needed both outlets for the day. I literally just went to pick up a paper and noticed it was stuck to the nightstand and the liquid had eaten through about 4 soft of my night stand. I feel like they owe me a new nightstand and to start putting warnings on the label. I will definitely be sending them a written complaint.

mazzara Nov 20, 2019

Warning to all Air Wick users of essential Oil. I plugged in a brand new warmer and fragrance bottle. After a while, I noticed a streak traveling up my painted wall from the warmer. The warmer had bubbled and discolored my paint. When I called Air Wick RB Customer relations the first associate disconnected me. The second associate told me that the the warmers have to be unplugged when empty or it could cause problems. Well, if that's the case, there should be a WARNING ON THE BOX indicating such. Yet, there is nothing on the package directing the buyer to unplug the device when it is empty. How are consumers supposed to know this, by osmosis. And of course they will not stand behind their product. So, the consumer is left with the expense of repair. SHAME ON YOU AIR WICK. AND HIRE BETTER CUSTOMER RELATIONS PEOPLE. MASO, AIR WICK CUSTOMER RELATIONS ASSOCIATE WAS A DISASTER.

• Bo
    Bobbi Provan Feb 06, 2020

It runined my countertop just having it plugged in normally, it dripped from the bottom. I am renting and now worried I will lose all or part of my $550 security deposit to replace the kitchen counter top. I don't see how it could be fixed, ate right through it.