Aetna Life Insurance CompanyScam and cheating!

My wife has been disabled since 1988. She receives a monthly disability check and is enrolled in Part A only. We opted not to enroll in Part B since she is covered by my health plan at work. We reasoned why pay out the additional monthly cost. My wife and I are both in our 50's. I have had no problems all these years until a few months ago. I noticed Aetna was holding all claims with the reason being additional information was required. After many many calls and emails to Aetna Customer Service (or lack thereof) I found out that they showed my wife was in both Part A & Part B. The representative was told that in no uncertain terms that my wife has never been enrolled in Part B. She then confirmed this with the local SS office. She told me the claims would be resent to processing.

Now the bad news.

All of my claims going back to May 7, 2007 were then re done as if my wife had been enrolled in Part B. So far (it keeps changing ever time I visit their web site) I have gone from about $700 out of my pocket to over $20,000. The new EOB (Explanation of Benefits) now states and I quote 'Your plan reduces covered expenses by Medicare benefits for which you are eligible, whether or not you are actually enrolled in Medicare.' My question is what are my options, is this legal?

I am concerned too, that next they may say my wife was eligible for Part D and they will quit paying for her prescriptions. Which run over $1500 per month.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

• Mi
    Mike Michalak Aug 15, 2018

Aetna Insurance
    Charles M. Michalak
    Claim Number [protected]
    2/9/2018

Aetna has done nothing but make my Short Term Disability Claim a nightmare. They have stalled, made false claims of not getting paperwork and failed to talk to my Doctor. They denied my appeal. They are dishonest and causing me further stress.

• In
    insurance expert Nov 28, 2008

are you on a retiree plan or an active employee plan? certain plans are designed to work as secondary to medicare, meaning, they are there to supplement medicare. If you chose not to take medicare, the plan malfunctions, meaning, the plan will only pay what it WOULD have paid, if you had medicare. So they assume the Part B payment. Its a very legitimate practice. Unfortunately, you were never made aware of this so now you are stuck with these very large bills.