1&1 Internet, Inc.billing and collection scam

I started getting excessive phone calls from nco, a collection agency, followed by several letters. Eventually I got some letters in the mail from nco, indicating that they were attempting to collect on belhaf of 1 & 1 internet. I contacted 1 & 1 and was told that in the past I had purchased domains from them (Which is true) , and that it's their policy to automatically renew domains every year.In fact, they said that when a customer submits an order with them, they are authorizing them to rebill their credit cards year after year after year etc. There is no reasonable way to cancel this, and even if you transfer the domains to another registrar, that may not stop them from charging you.In my case the credit card on file was declined, so they renewed the domains anyway, froze the account, and sent my info to a collection agency. I offered to pay 1 and 1 directly, even though I did not agree with the charges, and they said that not only could I not pay them, but that if I sent payment to them in the mail that they would literally rip it apart. So basically they are charging me for services that I don't want without my real consent, and then freezing the account so I cannot use those services anyway, and then ransoming my credit for a payment they will not even accept themselves. Do not be lured in by their low domain prices, you will seriously regret ever giving this company your credit card information. Do an internet search and check the bbb, there are countless complaints against them and their fraudulent billing schemes.

• Le
    Leah72 Oct 17, 2017

I had never even heard of 1 & 1 Internet Inc. until I got a letter from a debt collector saying I owed them $138. I only found out after researching they are a domain business. I have never owned a website so I have no idea why they claim I owe them. Don't buy into their scams. I'm not.

• Al
    Allnatural Feb 05, 2017

My husband just bought a domain from 1&1. He says that everybody that complains is brcaise they got their feeli gs gurt. I told him about the bad reviews and all the bad luck people have had with them. But he still wanted to waste money with them. Good luck to you guys...

Not Happy in CA Jan 28, 2017

We're getting over due letters and never knowingly set up internet or domain with 1&1. Not sure if someone else used our address or what. Anyone out there have THIS experience and can advise us?

• Gi
    GITine Mar 03, 2017

@Not Happy in CA I had the same thing happen. Someone stole my cc details and order an account with these guys. I called and talked to someine in their fraud dept and they made sure anything in my name was closed and refunded. Hope this helps :)

• Mn
    mnwind Aug 29, 2016

I ordered a domain from 1&1 one year ago with auto renew selected. Two weeks ago I received a billing notice saying that if you don't update your credit card and pay for renew, your 'service will discontinue automatically'. I didn't intend to keep the domain, so I didn’t pay to let the service discontinue. But I received another same billing the next day, so I cancelled the domain and asked them stop sending me the billing.

Long story short, they sent me another email requesting me to pay even after the cancellation. I cancelled on the 2nd day I received the billing, so I finally figured out that they purposely sent you the billing after the renew date so 'no matter what you do, you are late and will be asked to pay'. I professionally discussed the issue with billing supervisor with rude response.

Today I got an official letter threatening that if I don't pay they will forward it to a collection agent. I suggested finding an arbitrator to settle the dispute, they rejected again.

They don't have either my social security number or credit card. How can they damage my credit? It is a small amount, but I really don’t believe I should be responsible for their miscommunication. I will keep fighting.

• Tr
    Tracy Cruysen Aug 29, 2016

THIS IS NOT WHAT I SIGNED UP FOR. I HAVE TRIED TO CALL FOR HELP YOU ARE ON HOLD FOR NO LESS THAN 30 MINUTE.THIS IS TIME I JUST DON'T HAVE NOW A CANCELING SHOULD BE A PHONE CALL BUT NOW I HAVE TO GO THOUGHT THIS AND HOPE I HEAR FROM SOMEONE IN 24 TO 48 HOUR.I NO NOW THIS IS A SCAM THAT WAS TO COST 19.99 A MONTH TODAT 1&1 TOOK 59.97 OUT OF MY CHECKING ACCOUNT AND OVERDRAW MY ACCOUNT.I DON'T KNOW WHAT ALL TO SAY I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THIS SERVICE I WISH TO CANCEL. THANK YOU, TRACY CRUYSEN / ACCOUNT # [protected] / PHONE # [protected] / [email protected]

• St
    Stag Aug 29, 2016

Well there is not a lot I can add because I have read a lot of these reports listed with ripoff regarding 1&1 internet and they are all true, I have never dealt with a company that is so dishonest and the people working for them are as bad as the company itself.

They must have obtained them from some 3rd world Country for they are like robots that are made not to understand English. The education level of the employees must be 1st year no wonder they are hated so much. People talk about how bad the Company is but it is the Employees that make up the Company they are the ones that are responsible.

People cannot hide behind a Company name for they are the ones that are responsible don't ever forget that.

Jacob1988 Aug 29, 2016

I was looking for a new website and the person I spoke to on the phone who signed me up gave me INCORRECT CONTRACT INFORMATION. She said I could cancel at any time.
    I'm currently locked in to a contract that I was told didn't exist.

I was lied to, got the service because of the lie, and now I'm locked in a year long contract because of the lie.

I expect to have this contract voided immediately.

• Ju
    JUSTBEACHING Aug 29, 2016

I FEEL LIKE I AM BEING SCAMED, BIG TIME.!!
    I BOUGHT A CHEAP DOMAIN NAME (THAT I NEVER USED FOR A WEBSITE) AND THEN AFTER 7 MONTHS, I RECIEVE A $20.00 BILL FROM 1&1 INTERNET HOSTING DOMAIN. THE BILL STATEMENT READ THAT I BOUGHT SOMETHING THAT I NEVER ORDERED!! i EMAILED THEM THREE TIMES, NO RESPONCE. WHEN I CALLED 1&1 INTERENET BILLING DEPARTMENT, THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY COULD NOT ACCESS ANYONES ACCOUNT THAT THEY HAD SYSTEM PROBLEMS, BUT THEY TRIED TO CONVINCE ME THAT I ORDERED A SERVICE THAT I NEVER DID (I DO NOT USE THE DOMAIN NAME IN QUESTION)!! ALSO, THEY SAI D THEY WOULD TURN THIS BILL OVER TO A BILL COLECTOR BUT THEY COULD STILL NOT ACCESS MY ACCOUNT TO GO OVER THE BILL WITH ME...I FEEL CHEATED!!!

• Do
    Dolliemix Aug 29, 2016

They are charging me for renewing my account when I clearly spoke to several representatives letting them know I had switched companies in the beginning of the year and no longer needed or wanted their services. I am now getting letters stating they are billing me for renewal. Spoke to the billing supervisor Kristen and she was unwilling to dismiss fees! Bad customer service and I will NEVER again recommend this company! Definitely not a people friendly company and they still want me to pay! Please help. I don't want this to affect my credit.

marybella Aug 29, 2016

I signed up for the "free 30 day trail" with 1and1 and did not like it from the beginning. I explained that to their rep that called me to set up my page, I explained to him it was not for me and he told me it was not a problem only a FREE trial. My webpage was never set up, I never looked at it, next thing I know they are automatically taking payments out of my bank acct. I call to complain and could not get ONE person that actually spoke proper english. I was told that there was no "note" that i did not want the package and my FREE trail expired 3 days prior so they have to bill me until 2013. 9 different "complaint" people sent me the same BS generated letter saying that they legally are allowed to bill me for their services. WHAT SERVICES? 1and1 is NOTHING but a scam I would never use them EVER.

• La
    L Anne Aug 29, 2016

BUYER BEWARE!!! This company is a nightmare to work with. There have been numerous complaints about their business practices and they still continue to do business. I have tried for months to cancel a website that I did not want and does not perform the way they promised. I have never been able to use the site. They were charging my bank account and the only way I was able to get them to stop was to change my bank info. I have emailed and called numerous times-the hold times are extremely long and I have had them hang up on me more than once. If I do get a real person they are unable to resolve the matter. Now they are threatening to turn the account over to a collection agency.

• Ed
    Edward Chapman Aug 29, 2016

Representative named Zach misinformed me about purchasing a specific package that I needed. Called to complain but he never returned my call. Purchased another package with a another service rep. Have not been able to utilize service for nearly two weeks while I wait for for an internal domain name transfer. Called several times one rep says 24 hours and I can finally start to receive service and I just finished speaking with a different rep that says an additional week before I can begin. Since i am experiencing so many problems and will miss my April 1 deline it might be condusive for me take this an omen and find a business that will not stick customers with hidden costs and simple excuses while placing the weight on individual that you can bearly understand on the phone!

• Gr
    greatguynatl Aug 29, 2016

I purchased my domain mysalonps.com from 1and1 along with a package to build my site 5 days ago. They charged my credit crad and sent me an email about how to access the control panel. When I did as insrtucted I kept getting error messages. Finally a call to there support line and I was told that they were having a problem and people could not access the site to build it but they were on top of it and it would be resolved immediately. 5 days later I am still being told the same thing except now its going to be this coming Tues or Wed, Friday at the latest. That the issue is of paramount concern and being addressed. Now it seems an issue with such far reaching implications, possible hundreds of thousands of customers that the company would reach out and explain the issue, but NOT only has that not happened they continue to just say thy have no idea about a resolution. This affects my business as I am sure it does many oters, I cant even move my domain because there is a rule about waiting 60 days so basically I have been charged for a service, paid the fees and received absolutely nothing. A look at there support page and you see a message that says "alll systems operating normally" WHICH IS A LIE. Even on the face of things they wont tell the truth

Comments

• Ap
    apocn Aug 29, 2016

I found American Remedy Center in order to make loan modification. This company have been sending me reports monthly but every time told that they need more time. Finally I called to my bank and they told me that no company with such a name contacted them about my loan modification! It’s all about scam!

• Sh
    Shekker Aug 29, 2016

I have used 1and 1 for over 6 years. I am now to the point I will only buy domains when they are $0.99 or I will ask someone to shoot me. Do not buy anything that you have to talk to a sales person or is not cast in stone in your account. The accounting department and the management will have a field day with you. You will spend hours to resolve issues like why are you invoicing me for an a domain that you have acknowledged is canceled. They just don't understand the concept that the customer might know what they are talking about and try to help the customer first to get what they want and not just help themselves to get what they want. 1and1 rank on the bottom of my list to buy from. The $0.99 domains for one year help ease the pain of working with them.

• Ow
    Ownz Yourmother Jan 23, 2016

So it seems that they have gone from trying to fraudulently bill real customer of theirs to flat out fraud trying to collect from non-customers. I have never in my life registered a site or done any business with this company. I used to build websites but the last one I ever did was back in 2004. I have since become a nurse and just got a bill from these clowns that I owe them $175 and that my credit card has expired. I am thinking I will contact the AG in PA and the BBB and really take the screws to these fools. I'm not sure I want to even call them and give them a chance to fix their error. This is CLEARLY and calculated scam on their part.

• Wi
    Wildcat Design Jul 20, 2015

This 1&1 internet company first contacted me by email saying I needed to update my billing info for a domain. I have never used this company before and the domain name they gave me is no where close to anything I have ever registered. Now they have sent two letters trying to get me to update my billing info. Total fraud and no way I am even going to call them.

Sanjay ranka Nov 24, 2014

I am a student and was advised by my teacher to host under Web Hosting Bingo for our projects. I was really surprised, the technical support is free if cost and just superb guidance any time and day.

• Gr
    greatguynatl Nov 23, 2014

They have not communicated about the issue and just as a test I tried to purchase anopther domain and see if they would sell it to me, knowing they could nmot provided me the services and guess what they sure as hell did

• Po
    Potato Brother Nov 21, 2014

We just received a letter out of the blue from these jokers addressed to "Mr Potato Brothers" at our address, also refers to "United Potato Brothers". Yeah, try not to laugh... Neither exist according to internet searches I have done. So it's a scam. It can't even be a wrong address mistake. Especially as we have never heard of 1&1 Internet, let alone ever doing any business with them. It reads Dear Mr Potato Brothers. We have tried to reach you regarding a past due balance remaining on your account. it says there is a $14.99 balance on some account number. It says a recent payment may have failed due to a simple error such as an expiered credit card or incorrect stteing on a Paypal account. It wants us to "update our information" on the 1&1 control panel as soon as possible... Do these idioits think we are stupid? First of all, since it's supposedly a custom letter for a specific account number, they would know not only what kind of credit/paypal/... account had a problem but also the account number and would at least quote the last four digits. So first of all they are fishing for you account numbers. They have a double scam going here.. It's a classic - used to be done with magazine subscriptions and worthless gifts. They probably own the "collection agency" too, because no real collection agency would touch it. $14.99 is not even worth their time. They just want you to acknowldge them then they will keep sending fake bills and threatening letters. Then you will get some from the "collection agency" - the cost of which will be more than they claim you owe. Once they have hooked you they will rape you. That's why the amaount is always very small, so people eventually give up an just pay it and they they really dig their claws into you. Just do what I am doing. Under no circumstances contact or acknowledge them. Send the letter and everything else you get from them to the Pensilvania Attorney General (where they claim to be located), your State Attorney General and the Post Master General. I weould almost be willing to bet the same people own this "business" as the the other one I mnetioned. And if they try to screw you credit report, file crimial charges against them and sue them personally. I'm sure there are enough people with complaints for some hungry lawer to take on a class action suit.

• Pa
    PAST 1+1 USER Jun 18, 2014

i HAVE FILED A COURT CASE TO MAKE 1 & 1 REPAY ME FOR MONTHLY FEES THAT THEY ILLEGALLY TOOK FROM MY CREDIT CARD FOR THEIR WEB SITE BUILDER. I SIGNED-UP FOR THEIR 30 DAY TRIAL AND CANCELLED BEFORE THE 30 DAY PERIOD; NOT EVER USING THEIR HAPLESS PROGRAM. THEN MORE THAN A YEAR LATER I STARTED GETTING THE NCO COLLECTION CALLS AND DISCOVERED THEY HAD BEEN BILLING MY CREDIT CARD ALL THE WHILE. WHEN THE CREDIT CARD EXPIRED, THE GREEDY B*S*A*DS THEN SUBMITTED ADDITION CHARGES TO NCO FOR COLLECTION. SO SEE YOU IN COURT 1 & 1! AND BTW, I HAVE FILED FOR PUNITIVE DAMAGES. WOULD LIKE MORE OF YOU TO DO THE SAME BECAUSE THE ONLY WAY SCAMMERS LIKE THIS LEARN IS VIA THEIR POCKET BOOK.

• Ji
    Jim Y Mar 24, 2013

I am having a different issue with 1&1. I have requested cancellation of my account that runs until the end of April 2013. I cancelled my CC soi they could no longer charge me without my knowkedge. I paid the invoices throug hmy on-line checking with my bank and they refused to accept the check. Since when do I have to give them free rein to charge my CC? I have made good faith attempts to pay my invoices and now they are threatening me with collectins also. I think this is simply malicious on their part. And now the relationship has become adversarial. Any advide?

• Up
    Upset with 1 & 1 and NCO Feb 19, 2013

My father's bathroom was remodeled. There were issues with it, so our caregiver took pictures and made diagrams to send to the company to show the mistakes. He bought a domain using my name so the company would know it was our family. That was fine. He was supposedly given a month free trial use of 1 & 1 and told he could cancel it at or before the 30 day mark. They charged him before the month was up. It was sent to NCO because my account had been frozen. He paid NCO and it was unfrozen. He closed the account, he checked back a week later, it wasn't closed so he closed it again. And NCO is once again sending us a delinquency notice. I'd like to know why the BBB and PA Attorney General's office are not doing anything about this fraud. It sends a loud and clear message to the masses that we don't matter and that it is OK for us to be ripped off. I hope something similar happens to each and every one of the BBB and PA ATTY GEN's staff involved in this mess. They have the power to do something about this and refuse. I can just imagine who owns 1 & 1, as well as NCO and why the BBB and PA ATTY GEN won't do anything about it. It's OK for SOME people to rip people off because that is their personal and religious belief.

• Co
    connedby1and1 Oct 15, 2012

dont use, its a scam and fraud contrick, im warning you, read reviews from ripped off customers on the web, all the same story

• Mo
    Monroe Enterprises Aug 20, 2012

Called 1 and 1 because I only needed to use email services which is 4.99 per month. They reactivated a mail exchange service automatically on my account 3 months later charging me 50.00. After I called and spoke with 4 reps they would not give me a refund. I wouldn't recommend their services and decided since they cant provide quality customer service, they officially lost a customer.

• Am
    Amystoneus Jun 19, 2012

Good luck regaining control of your website if the account was set up under somebody else's name--like your webmaster, for instance, who went AWOL and no longer responds to email. 1&1 will take a week each time to respond to your ASAP requests to be granted access to your files, and when they do respond, it will only be to request more and more ridiculous info, from driver's license, passport and birth certificate to the actual meeting notes proving you're a legitimate company! I've had the misfortune of having two different clients who had their sites hosted at 1&1, and in both cases, I had to rebuild their sites from scratch, databases and all, with a new hosting company, because after months of struggling, my clients were unable to get 1&1 to furnish them with the administrative privileges associated with their account after the originator of the account vanished from existence. I can't believe they haven't been charged with kidnapping of web assets! DO NOT GIVE 1&1 YOUR BUSINESS! YOU WILL REGRET IT A MILLION TIMES OVER!

• Az
    AzGator Feb 02, 2012

Deceptive billing practices.

I attempted to allow a 1 year domain name registration to expire, but 1&1 Internet Inc (aka http://1and1.com) claim that they can renew the service and if no form of payment is available on file, invoice you for the difference. On their invoice, they threaten 3rd party collections and additional fees of $18.95 if you do not pay. I dipute that a creditor/debtor relationship is created.

Why exactly do I say their billing practices are deceptive?

1. They know that most casual purchasers of domain names shop around, and won't bother to read the Terms and Conditions because they don't normally vary much from registrar to registrar. This practice is designed to obscure the real intent, which is to trap you in their contract terms.

2. The contract is difficult to cancel, requiring multiple odd steps, emailed request confirmations and delays in getting final confirmation that it was indeed cancelled.

3. If your product is approaching renewal, you will not get an invoice. You will be sent an invoice ONLY after it is too late to cancel. Once you have received the invoice they will operate as if you have borrowed money from them, failed to pay, and you can't return or cancel the product. You are now subject to 3rd party debt collection.

4. They will not do anything to soften the blow, reverse the invoice, offer an incentive credit - it will be "We apologize for the inconvenience, but the contract says X, Y, Z.". In my case, they said I was ignorant.

I may have been ignorant of their unusual terms and conditions, and that is my own fault. However, they could handle this kind of scenario much better and in a way were I would not resort to having my attorney send them a cease and desist letter.

• Xx
    xxSquirrelSkittlesxx Feb 01, 2012

This Is What The Past Customers Are Saying

PLEASE READ THE LINK BEFORE BUYING!!

MY NAME IS TRAVIS DOMINGUEZ, I AM A CANCELLED CUSTOMER BUT MY CREDIT CARD IS CONTINUOUSLY BEING CHARGED $29.97 WHEN I HAVE CANCELLED MY ENTIRE CONTRACT AND SERVICE! THEY HAVE CONFIRMED IN WRITING THAT MY CANCELLATION WAS AUTHORIZED AND CONFIRMED BY THE COMPANY.. SO WHY DOES MY CREDIT CARD KEEP GETTING CHARGED?? DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT BUY THIS SERVICE!! THE COMPANY CLAIMS TO BE TAKING MONEY OUT OF INDIVIDUALS ACCOUNTS (FRAUDULENTLY) FOR CANCELLED SERVICES BECAUSE THEY COME UP WITH BOGUS CLAIMS OF IT BEING PART OF THE PROMO OR THAT ITS IN THE TERMS OF AGREEMENT, OR WHATEVER EXCUSE THEY CAN COME UP WITH, THEY ARE STEALING MONEY!! LETS NOT PUT UP WITH THIS AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!! WE HAVE THE POWER TO STAND UP SAY NO I WILL NOT ALLOW THEM TO TAKE MY MONEY WITHOUT MY PERMISSION OR ANYBODY ELSE'S MONEY FOR THAT MATTER!!! WE MUST NOT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH THIS!!

• St
    steve1953 Nov 03, 2011

I have for about two weeks now being trying to reach this company for I was hacked into and now I no longer can get into my email address. I had received an email from the company telling me that in order for me to keep my address I need to email them certain information to keep my account operating. I did not send the information the first time, telling them that I was uncomfortable with sending my information. I received and email about 5 days later asking for the same info but again i did not feel comfortable with that and I replied and told them this. I received another email, telling me that if i want to keep my account functioning that I need to send the information. So I sent the information everything was fine until two weeks ago. I received an email on my gmail account telling me that someone is using my name and emails trying to get people to send them money for them were robbed in another country and are trying to get home. Thank God that my friends new that was not true, for I am disabled and cant travel anywhere. My business contacts, documents and old photos of my family history were all taken not they cant be replaced. I was asked every two months to change my password and I did, now I have nothing, this company hasnt even bothered to call me concerning anything. I get an email saying, "we thank you for your info about your situation" thats it. I dont recommend this site to anyone. I left Yahoo for the same reason, no longer will i ever deal with this site again. They are a bunch of idiots, and they could care less about their customers. No phone number, no customer service they are a joke.

• Le
    learn2know2 May 31, 2011

1and1 complaint! 1and1 has billed me fraudulently, again! Although I set auto-renew to OFF (NO) for six domain names, 1and1 billed me and charged my credit card anyway. I sent them their own confirmation emails indicating that that the domains were set to auto-renew to OFF (NO) and additional emails they sent me indicating that the referenced domains had been removed from their database. So far, they refuse to credit my account! I'm filing a small claims law suit and will expect to receive triple damages. I currently have 84 active domains with 1and1. ALL domains and packages will be canceled at the end of their contract and expiration dates. This is not the first time this has happened. Bye 1and1!

• Th
    Thebeev May 26, 2011

I cannot get rid of this bill. It used to automatically withdrawal from my account, but I had no idea what it was. Once I found out, I paid a final payment & called to cancel their service. I also explained that I'd never actually purchased their service, but a former employee of mine did using my credit card. They said they cancelled it, but I've been receiving calls & paying bills from their third party collections company (NCO) for a couple of years now. I've switched cards, accounts, and placed numerous phone calls to their office cancelling the service. Each time I'm told it's been cancelled, and then somewhere within 90 days I wind up getting a phone call from NCO. It's like Ground Hog Day!!! It blows my mind that this company is allowed to get away with this. I figured by now somebody would've stopped them, but it's not the case. I'm not the guy to do it, but if anyone out there has the time, passion, or know how, I would certainly weigh in and support however I can. -- JG

• Ri
    richleaves May 21, 2011

I just seen this on my credit report from NCO for $30. My card expired and I figured that it just wouldn't renew that charge like any other company, guess not. These guys are a bunch of idiots, in case later down the line I wanted to use their sevices again they just ran me off for $30 . Not a good business decision when I spent a couple thousand dollars on them over the years. ****Anyway All you have to do is pull your report and click the dispute button for experian, tranunion, expedia and just say you cancelled the service and owe nothing. Within a day the reporting agencies emailed me and said the charge had been deleted from my report.****

• Ka
    Kamakiri May 19, 2011

I certainly don't agree with their level of customer service, but unfortunately once you have bought a domain name its yours. It doesn't matter if you're website is up or not. I've done it before, thought it was a good idea to buy a domain name for a website then never bothered To have it hosted. I still own the name of the domain but it just lies dormant. A good way to check to see if you have actually bought the domain is to type the address into the address bar at the top of your browser. If a 1&1 page shows up, you've bought the domain name. If a page comes up saying the browser can't find the age at all, you've been charged for something you never got.

• Jp
    JPT6891 Mar 22, 2011

Wish I would have checked out this site beofre signing with 1 & 1 back in 2007. I now have the same issue as some of the posts above. Called and cancelled, asked for a refund cause I never used the service and was denied (gave up cause it was only $20.00). Called in again, the same month, just to verify the cancellation. Now roughly 2 yrs later I am getting calls from NCO. Called 1 & 1 billing/customer service and they claim there is no record of me calling in to cancel and the debit is vaild. I spent 3 1/2 hours out of my work day looking for documentation to support my claim and found zip!! Just got done reporting them to the BBB and now looking online for ways to help people avoid the same mistake by using this company's service!!! I am not a person to go off and get sue happy, but sounds like a class action might get this company to start behaving ethically. I work in IT and will make sure everyone knows how I have been treated.

• Ct
    CTerry Feb 16, 2011

I too have been harrassed by NCO over a few domain names that I had written to 1and1 and asked them not to renew! They ignored that and then tried to renew them. Thank goodness my credit card was expired and they could not charge it. However, now NCO is after me for the domain renewal fees and an additional $18 for the fact they could not charge my credit card. I have attempted to pay 1and1...sent a check and a letter. Has been over three weeks and the check is not cleared. NCO continues to harrass me and spoke with a sympathetic person there the other day. I told him how I was not able to even find a phone number for this company to call them other than a tech support number and when you call you are put on hold for well over 45 min. Interestingly enough she looked and said that they did not even have a phone number to contact this company. No kidding...they don't want to hear from anyone and want to continually charge people's cards fraudulently. I would suggest if you have a current account with them and don't want to have your card hit with a charge again to go in and change your credit card number. I will file a complaint with the BBB today and the Attorney General's office. I do work in the IT sector and frequent many of the trade shows. I will be sure to continue to pass the word on this company!

• Aj
    ajshaven Feb 07, 2011

I just received my response from the BBB it reads as follows:

We understand that your your Customer ID #XXXXXXXXaccount was passed to NCO Financial, the collection agency that we use.

We had transferred your domain (XXXXXXXX.org) to another registrar. This domain was transferred from our system and is now currently registered and hosted with the service of your choosing.

However, the hosting service (Business Linux hosting) and the second domain in your account (XXXXXXXX.net) have remained unchanged in your Customer ID #XXXXXXXXX account. Neither of these services were altered or cancelled through our online cancellation service. If you had gone to http://cancel.1and1.com with your Customer ID and password, you can cancel any individual services on your account or cancel your service entirely.

Both the Business Linux hosting and the XXXXXXXX.net domain name remain active and billing under your Customer ID.

Although, we have since read through your complaint and understand that you wish to cancel these services immediately. As such, I have set this Customer ID #XXXXXXXXX account to cancel with immediate effect. In this, you will not be any further billed or invoiced for either of these services.

As well, we are removing your outstanding balance with NCO Financial. We are removing your account from collections. In addition. NCO Financial will remove you from any list that they have. There will be no more money owed to either 1&1 or NCO Financial regarding this Customer ID #XXXXXXXXX account.

We apologize for any confusion caused throughout this process.

Thank you.

Joseph Quinn
    Complaints Department
    1&1 Internet Inc.

Don't give up, keep a copy of your doucmentation, both writing and emails, they will help you support a claim against them with the BBB and with the Attorney Generals Office. Also, eamil everyone that you can think of using the 1and1.com ending (i.e. [email protected], [email protected], [email protected])...the squeaky wheel does get the oil~

• Gl
    Gladdmo Feb 03, 2011

I am going through a simlar situation now and it has me very concerned. I called NCO last night nad they were short and curt when I asked for information about the 1&1 Inc late notification. I am going to report this action to the BBB.

• Me
    Meyertime33 Feb 03, 2011

I had a similar experience with 1 and 1. Signed up for cheap website hosting, never used the service and was billed on my credit card. I forgot about the account when I had to cancel my credit card when it was lost. 1 and 1 automatically renewed my account and never notified me that my account had not been paid due to the credit card issue. I received numerous e-mails from them, but none referencing the debt. Eventually I was called by this NCO Financial and they were rude, obnoxious and demanded an extra $18 above the debt amount to make a credit card payment. I just wanted the issue to go away, but refuse to pay their extortion. I have filed a complaint with the FCC, disputed the item with the credit agencies and will also follow up with the attorney generals office. Go Daddy will put them out of business soon enough, but I will do my part as well.

• Aj
    ajshaven Jan 15, 2011

Wow, now I know I' not the only with problems and I will alert the Attorney General's Office, whom I've launched a coplaint with in PA regarding the pracctices of 1and 1. For me, they "suspended" my acount for them failing to register my domain name, which is something they are suppose to do with Tucows. So, I requested in rewriting to cancel the service, which luckily I kept a copy of the email because suddenly after 6 months, I start getting collection calls from NCO. My paper copy of the email faxed to NCO seems to ahve put a stop to the collection calls. I then called 1and1 to see what the devil was up because I never received any further billing, any further debts on my card or anything after I requested to cancel. I speak with a supervisor called "Damien" who indicated that I forged the email and altered it an that I had never requested a cancellation . He then went disconnected me and so forth. What is worst about this, is that the company has hijacked my website all my files and records and I had to take my webist down for 6 months for the name to be released...guess who I won't be using! I've filed wiht complaint with the Attorney Generals Office in PA, I will be contacting the bbg and the ftc regarding this, as well.

• Dr
    drew7 Oct 13, 2010

I used to have an account with Tiscali in Germany and they were bought out by Freenet which have since been taken over by 1 & 1 it seems. They kept charging my account and trying to log into the service with my tiscali details from abroad was impossible. Today I receive 2 bills for almost 300 Euro. I asked my bank to block the charges to my account as there was no way to log into the system. Now I'm back and receive these 2 bills. Vultures.