Waypoint HomesSecurity deposit

M

We entered a lease with them in Aug 2013. We gave the 60 day notification in May before our exit in Aug. We offered them the OPPORTUNITY to list and show the house to get renters in this early time frame. They were able to get new renters July 14th. The problem is still getting our pet deposit and security deposit. We paid early every month never late. They wanted to call this early termination but it was NOT and keep our deposit. We paid full rent for July so them moving someone in July is NOT early termination. Went to the lawyer and in our contract they had a begin date for our lease but NOT an end date - Which he said was a month to month lease so no grounds for early termination. Waypoint was great to include the Florida State Statutes in the lease to bad they are unwilling to go by them. They had 30 days to SEND notice of any claim against security deposit. (That means they can send it out on the 30th day it's not that you the renter has to receive it in 30 days. Because the ignorant staff did not send any notice (lied and said they did but unable to produce the paper work) it does not matter what they want to deduct- they lost their claim which was 30.00 for having the lawn mowed the week their new people moved in. My mother passed away that week and I was in Ohio. Keep in mind their marketing: Reinventing Renting. This is false they are no better then any other property company that does not play by the state rules. Now, Lawyer is in contact with their lawyer and if his demand letter to pay us back does not result in immediate resolve of this issue Florida State Statutes provide that they will have to pay my lawyer fees if I win. I will win because I never did not pay rent or the last months rent. My husband said we would get screwed and we shouldn't pay but in order for the Florida Statutes to protect me my lawyer said yes we needed to pay. We paid the full month rent even though the manager had said she was going to pro rate it since she knew she had a renter when I went on the navigator to pay she had me locked out for 5 days so I was unable to pay til the 5th of the month the official late day. Of course there was no pro ration for the month but the full rent. Now they owe me the last half of the month pet deposit and security deposit. We did not hang on item in the house and had a reputation from the maintenance people that our house was pristine/clean. My best advise is to document everything you do who you talk to and be sure to read the state statutes on the procedure of your tenant rights and what to do when you want to leave after your terms are up. It's not going to be easy to get your money back. If you do not play by the rules it isin the contract they can go after you for more money. We paid for a bond which was insurance for them that we would pay for any damages or if we skipped out. They can actually double dip on any damages and then the bond company can come after you. After speaking to my lawyer you really do not need to pay for a bond. We did because we were moving across states (1800 miles) and had to have a place NOW. I went in with grat feelings about Waypoint but very sad at how things turned out. We are the type of people Landlords want to rent to and we got treated like prey by Waypoint. If you have other options go elsewhere. Do not be fooled by their slogan "reinventing renting" The end.

Security deposit

• Ot
    Otymer Sep 08, 2016

I just moved from a waypoint home and more than likely receive the same scenario. However, I video taped my last walk through of the home and showed all previous damages. In addition I have code enforcement report's dated from the initial move in of prpoetry and some items hhasn't been repaired yet now going on 3 yrs. So should I go ahead and file my claim with courts? Code enforcement also offered me a right to sue but I have yet to take action.

• St
    steens1 Feb 09, 2016

Currently fighting this company for security deposit refund. Live in Calif and they are abusing the California tenant laws. charging for items shown on move in list as broken or missing. Per Calif law they need to provide refund along with receipts for any deducts to the deposit within 21 days. Still waiting for deposit refund and receipts. All they have sent on time is the listing of what they are deducting. Calif law also states deducts must be a fair amount. One item they charged for was a ceiling fan PULL CHAIN for $20.00. Really outrageous. If you live in Calif DO NOT RENT FROM THESE PEOPLE. I will be taking them to small claims court for my deposit refund if not received this week It was $2500.00.

• Dd
    dd26 Apr 21, 2014

Please, please, please – be extremely weary of this company. They are notorious for screwing tenants over. They talk a big game prior to you signing the lease. Then, when they have you locked in, they bring down the clad iron fist.
    There are several issues i would love to point out on this website, but for the sake of time, the big incident occurred when i moved out. I had a $2, 000 security deposit placed prior to moving in. I professionally cleaned the entire house – the place was spotless. As you can see on the attached document to this complaint, i provided a copy of what the leasing agent wrote on the inspection paper long after i’d moved out. She stated “house left in pretty good shape. ” i’d say that is speaking on behalf of the fact that i had the house professionally cleaned. So when it came time to have my security deposit refunded, they claimed that i had $400 deducted from my security deposit to repair interior walls and damage and then an additional $500 cleaning fee. It’s absurd. I’m still fighting with the company. They didn’t reply to the department of consumer affairs complaint i submitted, nor did they reply to the better business bureau complaint i submitted.
    They are being bought by a new real estate company (Starwood capital group: http: / / www. Bloomberg.com / news / [protected] / starwood - property - said - to - plan - to - buy - waypoint - management. Html) so they really could care less about disgruntled consumers.
    You make up your own mind on this company, but when you get screwed over, too, don’t say we didn’t warn you!!!

Comments