VIP Readers ServiceContract scam

M Review updated:

I have been scammed, what was explained to me was that i would get a bill of 39.99 for some magazines and if i would like to stop or chance mags then call the customer service number. I call the number to cancel and the supervisor (Shelly Betarie). She told me that i cannot cancel and that i was obligated to pay the 39.99 for 24 more payments. I was also never told that i could not cancel this subscription.

Jon Texas Jul 09, 2019

My strong advice for dealing this company is to contact the Better Business Bureau by filing a complaint on the company. The company goes by the name Baysand Financial Inc. (VIP Readers Service) and they are stationed out in Los Angeles, California.
    When I filed a complaint I received a response from the company which stated I had agreed to their services and I was not allowed to cancel. I was not satisfied with their response, so I rebuttal and stated I’d refuse to pay for their services. So about a week later I received a call from the company’s representative which stated they canceled my service. They also responded to the Better Business Bureau stating they canceled my service and send me a written notice of cancellation.
    I’m satisfied now since I know if the company try’s to send me collection notices, I can show them proof we had a mutual agreement to cancel the services. However, as of the past few months after cancellation I have not received any collection notices, but the magazines took 6-10 weeks afterwards before they eventually stopped coming.

• Ci
    Civil War 2 Jan 05, 2019

VIP Readers Service has scammed me. They are billing me for two subscriptions

for the same service. They claim I authorized this and have my approval recorded.

• Ca
    CarolDorr Apr 11, 2018

Have the same problem as I am finding out. For eight months I was paying $39.90 for magazines I was not receiving. I called and in a couple of weeks got a written notice that is was the Postal service and not them. Then I received seven items in a matter of three weeks then nothing at all. They had dates going back to October. The only thing I did receive was a TV guide that was out of my area. I cancelled payment and now getting threatening calls. Last remark I heard from the rep was that I could burn in hell as she hung up. Filed a complaint with Better Business

• Ne
    Nelly Guerrero Apr 01, 2017

I am very sorry for the ones that are having issues; I am receiving 2 separate terms of subscriptions..my first term which was for 24 months for $19.99 is ending soon, which sometime in January 2017, I received a call from VIP to ask how everything was with my magazines and if I was satisfied; almost at the end of the conversation the very savvy saleswoman made me feel that I was getting a couple of more magazines for free! well after 30 minutes of talking and answering questions - I get the spill about another 24 more months with these other magazines that I just hand picked I would be interested in; I now pay $40.00 a month for 11 magazines! I do think its a deal even though I could do without; when my 1st subscription ends next year I will be paying $24.05 for one more year because by then I'll be complete with the 1st subscription and left with one year on the second. I do not have anything complaints; I have every letter that tells me how many years I have locked with them and how many issues I am entitled to after payment; I also have every postcard received confirming my changes - I have changed my picks twice and have not had any discord so far. They mention in every letter to use them as a reference - hoping that they carry weight, because I do intend to take them up on it. Yet, I am ready for the next call - there will be no more subscriptions acceptance in this household for a while. A polite "no, thank you." is what they will be getting on the next call.

• De
    debs brood13 Aug 26, 2016

i was told that i could cancel my subscription at any time but when i called they told me that i couldn't cancel that i was locked in for the full term of the contract. instead they told me that they could lower the payments. my husband isn't getting the pays that he was getting at the time that i agreed to the contract. they also told me that i had 10 days from the time that i received the information in the mail to cancel. this is not fair. the economy is not what it used to be. i also was gonna make my payment on line and can not find their website to do this. i type in the website address and can't find anything except this one about filing complaints.

S.Tsukerman Jul 13, 2016

There is nobody who can stop that awful company. Seems they do what they want. I filed all the complains with all possible organizations, it does not help. It is a veracious company. I hate them.

• Dr
    drmjr May 12, 2016

I feel that their customer service is terrible. They were very rude to me! I was unable to to talk to a supervisor and was told that I could not cancel my subscription. I was unaware of the total cost to begin with but they didn't seem to care

• Oy
    oyvayizmeer Feb 25, 2016

I just got another demand for payment bill from them saying I owe 224.00 I am never going to pay them I was told it was a one time deal at 39.00 for one year and now they say I owe like 8000 for 6 years or some bs...it is a scam company that wont let you cancel! after a day!

• Cn
    C.Nicoara Feb 24, 2016

Im going thur the same thing now received 1 magazine gettng ready to file compliant with better business they can threaten me all they want hell credit is already bad I dont care they have ripped me off I dont mind paying for something i get but now im pissed. Ordered in late November and 1 magazine since then just told them on the phone im not paying them another dime !

• Go
    goldamir Oct 23, 2015

This site confirms what I am going through...This is the biggest scam going! I can't believe they allow this to go on! I was also scammed by them; they tell you its a one time fee of 39 dollars...they lady on the end was honey ...baby... sweet heart-ing me... I fell pray to her convincing tone that it was a one time fee of 39 bucks! I am not paying them 24 months in a row!!! and now I am and told there is no Cancelling and or getting out of the contract which they say I have agreed to on the phone...I never signed anything... who knew that the entire thing is around 8 thousand bucks to get out of! These women are rude and mean on the phone and will not give up... I end up hanging up on them every time! I will not pay, I offered to pay the one time fee of 39 bucks for the few magazines that have come, but I thought it was a one time deal! not to mention the supposed Diamond watch they sent is fake and doesn't work! We need to set up a network and take them down ! This ridiculous since they probably target the seniors who live a lone and don't have someone here to say get off the phone!

• Da
    Dave Friday May 04, 2015

Just an update to those of us that have been caught up in the VIP Readers marketing plan... I too fell for the "You could win..." some fabulous prize bait and I also remember being told I "could cancel at any time...". When I tried to cancel I was given the same run around about a commitment to these publications and we can't cancel... and "in your oral interview you agreed to 48 months at $39.99". I was contacted today by VIP and I explained my situation and why I wanted to cancel the subscription. I also offered to pay any unpaid balance accrued thus far. After a few moments the VIP representative agreed to allow me out of the magazine commitment and offered to send me a closing bill for the outstanding balance. Therefore, VIP Readers has reversed my opinion and I find them to be a genuine company. I don't appreciate the run around they gave me initially and I see the whole "SCAM" label thing... But I gotta give credit when credit is due. They backed away from the "you gotta pay the whole term" thing and did an excellent job of reversing my opinion. My suggestion is to send an email requesting to cancel and then when they call be polite and explain "why" you're canceling... And "I just don't want the magazines" isn't a real good reason... use your imagination... VIP is officially off my "SCAM" list and I'm happy with the result... DF

S.Tsukerman Mar 04, 2015

I was scammed by VIP readers. My story is similar as everybody's else. I filed complain and I filed to BBB, nothing is helping. Today I received another call from them, collecting the money. They don't care if you alive or dead, they need your money. They said that they have been in business for 40 year's, so nobody stopped them. It is very sad, they keep all of us as hostages.

S.Tsukerman Feb 11, 2015

I agrees with all of you who are saying that we must do something about the scam. My story is similar as everybody's else, I was paying them money, I thought the deal is $20.00 a month, I should pay only for 1 magazine, everything else will come for free. I tried to cancel it. I paid to cancel Wiz to help me to cancel it. Nothing worked. The want to extort money from you, and they don't care about your story. Clearly it is a scam. I entered complain with Consumer Complain Agency, paid $25.00. It did not help. No results. They assured me that they pressured the company, but everything remained the same, the are calling me, upsetting me over the phone. Trying to collect money. There is no way out. I would like to file lawsuit against them. Count me in. I filed to BBB today also S from New York

• Sl
    slc100 Oct 25, 2014

I never contacted the BBB because I did not think they would do anything other than cancel the vip service membership if they even have one. I did, however, write a letter to the Attorney General in Ohio, but have not yet heard anything. Also, I do not answer my phone if I don't know the number anymore. I also wrote VIP services about stealing money from my bank account through my credit card which I had given them for the first payment. I never authorized them to use it for payments and had been sending in my payments, but found that they helped themselves to the payment one month and messed up my account. I went to my bank and they sent in a dispute to the company about it which was eventually credited back, but had to cancel my credit card. For whatever reason, it took over a month to get a new card. I told VIP that because they had violated our contract, it was over as far as I was concerned and they could cancel. Of course the next letter I got from them did not even address their stealing (not as much as an apology) They just want their money. Not one more thin dime from me!!

• Sl
    slc100 Oct 25, 2014

Big Red Mama is obviously an employee of vip services

Mad Pat Oct 22, 2014

Tell them not to call you again...then tell them to report you to the collections...if this is your only fault on your credit report, you have nothing to worry about...if you feel like it, you can tell them to go to a nasty place and to kiss your ...

• He
    henz Oct 07, 2014

Okay, we all got ripped off by this company. The question is... Can they really report us to the collection agency to totally ruin our credit?

• Gb
    gbear20 Sep 03, 2014

If you here from these people, HANG-UP. They are scam artists period. We were told we could cancel subscription but then went through A HUGE, RECORDED, conversation and can't. I have complained and they want to play the recording over and over. My lesson is that when a magazine company wants to record me saying anything, just hang-up.

• Oi
    oich1 Aug 12, 2014

Hello, I just talked to my lawyer, his advice was, to file a formal complaint with the ATTORNEY GENERAL CONSUMER PROTECTION, Division for deceptive sales practice and they can deal with the AG´s office. I had exactly the same experience. They keep calling everyday and the caller ID shows private caller.

• Mr
    mrsbeep Jul 16, 2014

my son is being scammed now, and he has canceled, and canceled 4 times. i'm afraid they will hurt his credit rating and you know big red momma works there.

• Em
    EMP59 Apr 07, 2014

On September 30, 2013 I received a card in the mail from Holsted Jewelers letting me know that I won two rings and I called and ordered them. I would also receive a $20 gift card to Walmart. At this time I was asked if I wanted to sign up for a few magazines. I had 5 magazines of which I canceled on November 26, 2013. Then I started receiving bills for $39.99 a month for 24 months which totals $892.80. I called them to cancel it and they said it cannot be canceled. I am a breast cancer survivor and I still need more surgery, I would never have agreed to that amount of monies.

• Cc
    cc23 Feb 18, 2014

I agree with everyone!!! I called and a Lady named Tracy Lewis was so rude!!! I also lost my job and am unable to continue payments. I called and asked to cancel and she told me no. Then she told me they do not have a supervisor to transfer me to. When I told her I can't pay she said "well why would you sign up" now I know your not suppose to speak to people line that. Then she told me I was yelling and hung up in my face I've already started my BBB complaint.

• Ak
    akseashel Nov 25, 2013

I also have had the same experience most of you have already stated. I just submitted a complaint with the BBB of Cleveland. I have done some research and have found several different names this company is using. I want to share these names with all of you: VIP Readers Services, aka Magazine Service Bureau, aka National Publishers. The only difference with my story is that I did call and canceled within 24 hrs as I had an uneasy feeling about this company. I was told the cancellation was entered, but later have now found that they never did and will not cancel. I am also notifying the Federal Trade Commission (www.ftc.gov) and the FBI (www.fbi.gov/scams-safety/fraud). I am so frustrated that this has happened to so many of us. I do consider myself a smart, logical, educated woman who let her guard down for one moment.

• Do
    dodgesjm Aug 09, 2013

I wish I had came to this board before I committed to buying, so now I am in the same boat as everyone that failed for this scam. I have called the company and received the same bull that everyone else has, so I have complained to the BBB and if there is going to be a class action count me in.

• Be
    Becca58 Jun 19, 2013

I just received a first call a few minutes ago. The representative said that my name had been submitted through one of my credit card companies and that I was a finalist for a large sum of money (I think she said a million dollars), a vacation. She said as a chosen finalist I would receive a women's watch with a small diamond and a black band. She verified my address and, in case I am one of the big winners, asked for an approximate annual income to insure that I could pay the taxes on the prize. She said as a finalist I could choose six magazines at three dollars something a week ($19.95 a month). She did not give a time frame. I did not agree and she directed me to their website, http://www.vip readers.net to look over the 400 magazines that are offered. When I typed the name of the site into my browser a big warning came up indicating that it was not a certified website and not to continue. The representative is going to give me a call back tomorrow. After reading all of the comments I know what my answer will be. Thanks to each one who commented. I think you saved me from making a big mistake!

• Br
    Brian Bosserman Apr 15, 2013

Basically there is nothing i can post that is not already been said just tired of the 3 to 4 times a day i get an unknown number call that lets it ring once and then hangs up! Cancel your credit cards change your number and never fall for phone scam again!!!

• Nu
    NutherWorkingJoe Apr 06, 2013

Same story here - my wife was contacted on the phone and said she was interested in Reader's Digest. Sales rep talked her into DONATING 9 or 10 more magazines to the local hospital, so we could write it off as a charitable donation (never asked her any questions to see if our tax situation would allow us to write it off). They told her 3 payments of $39.90 (one each month) for 5 year's subscriptions. When the deductions started coming out, I called and was told I was on the hook for 24 payments of $39.90. We did start getting RD, but can't verify the hospital subscriptions (they get so man "donated" mags the end up trashing a lot of them). Two deductions went through before I could cancel the bank account. I let the representatives who called know that was all they were going to get (3 calls?) and have ignored calls and letters since. They are still coming, increasing in threat level, but I'm sticking to my guns. Next will be to file with the 3 credit bureaus stating they misrepresented the terms and gave illegal tax advice - probably copy the Ohio Attorney General's office, too.

• Kb
    kb_h Oct 18, 2012

Here's the latest scam by this company: salesperson came to my alcoholic sister's door and gave a sad story about needing sales to support his education. She was drunk and agreed to a couple magazines but paid in cash! Now she is so longer in that state, basically homeless and penniless but they got my mom's address and are sending numerous magazines to her address with my sister's name and continuous billing. The magazines are strange things that my sister would not have ordered no matter the intoxication level. Of course they are saying she hasn't paid and owes for oodles of magazines! Thank goodness she didn't give a checking or credit card like so many unfortunate people posting their comments above.

charp1 May 27, 2012

Yes Class Action is the way to go with this. I am also in. I was told lies over the phone, and I do not the believe the sweepstakes are even real. The "diamond" watch that they raved about is an ugly cheap black thing, with what appears to be one tiny diamond in it, but I wouldnt be surprised if this is also fake. I am unemployed and spending this money on magazines I don't need instead of food.

• Sh
    Shirley Borden May 07, 2012

This company is just another example of how low someone will go to grab your hard earned cash through trickery. It is not a binding signed contract and their threatening letters to ruin your credit are what they're banking on to make sure you pay the ridiculous amount you have been conned into. I was myself fed the same line of bull and would never have agreed to pay that kind of money for magazines but they word it in a way that clearly does not paint the picture of what you are getting into. My story is just like the rest, so i will not give the exact details because the bottom line is that we have all been scammed and what the hell are we going to do about it! I agree that a class action lawsuit is what we should do about it. and i am 100% in. Contact the credit agencies in advance and make them aware of the situation before VIP tries to destroy it. This company is a flat out joke and should be put out of business ASAP! This company flat out would not exist if they did things by the book and i kind of feel sorry for the customer service people over there who are being paid to do the devils work in this economy by scamming innocent people all day long on the phone.

• Ya
    Yasmo19 Apr 19, 2012

I have the same problem . Its ###! In every thing that you sign up for you should always have the right to cancel it anytime. But when i called them last time and told them that i want to cancel it, they wouldnt let me do it. I have lots of bills to pay and its more important than a stupid magazines. I closed my other bank account coz they usually take the payment out from my account. They keep calling me and telling me that it will go to collections. And ive got a mail from the collections saying it will affect my credit. And of course im scared coz i still building my credit and now this people are goig to ruin it

• Sc
    scottbux Jan 01, 2012

same thing for me. if you google vip readers the only thing you get is a list (and a long one at that) of complaints. would anyone be interested in getting together for a class action lawsuit? if we can get enough people together to file the lawsuit mixed with all the complaints this case would be a slam dunk.

JakeSh Nov 02, 2011

Big Red Mamma you obviously had a different experience than the rest of us. There is no reason to accuse the people on the forum of being idiots because they had a different experience than you. I personally had a much similar experience as the consensus of this forum. I was told I was paying for 12 months and was receiving 24 months of subscriptions. In my recording it states that the term is 24 months. At the time, I interpreted that as the receiving term not the payment term. They are telling me now that I signed up for 48 months of receiving and 24 months of payments. The recording they have is only the second conversation, not the first. In the first conversation they told me I was paying only 12 months and receiving 24 months, at no time was 48 months ever mentioned. I would have never signed up for 48 months of magazine service. I made the incorrect assumption that the agreement conversation (second one) was going to simply be a regurgitation of the first, my mistake. However, I have learned my lesson never to agree to anything via phone and record every conversation possible.

• Bi
    big red mamma Nov 02, 2011

I'm sorry but you guys are all idiots. In this contract is is clearly explained that you are paying 3.95 a week for a weekly publication which is 19.95 a month (including shipping, handeling and taxes). This is a 48 month service so you pay 39.90 for 24 months but receive the magazin.es for 48 months. You have to agree to the terms of the contract on a recording so if you don't understand by the end of the conversation that you are paying 39.90 for 24 months but receiving the magazines for 48 and that you cannot cancel then you are the problem, not them. You have to agree not to cancel to complete the order, so how could you not understand? It's sad that people agree to things they don't understand and choose to blame their stupidity on hard working people. I receive the magz and love them. I'm getting everything I agreed to.

ChelseaNBrent Aug 16, 2011

I am stuck in a contract with them now. They call me 3 times a day and threaten me. Once, I had accumulated 3 months past due and late fees due to breaking my foot and the astronomical medical bills associated with that. The agreed to drop my payment and extend it for 48 months...So I realized at that moment that I will be paying these DING DONGS until 2017. NO WAY!!! My scam was I was entered in a contest to win a million or a vacation plus a discounted rate on magazines. She kept saying the magazine was $3.99. At the time of the call, i had a newborn I was trying to tend to so instead of hanging up on her (as i should have) I agreed because $3.99 a month isn't a big deal. Till I got the first bill of $32.99. I haven't got that kind of money to spend every month. I don't have a credit card on file with them so they call me every month and drive me nuts. I am filing today! Thank you all for this information!!!

• Lo
    Losi May 16, 2011

I filed my complaint today.
    These people are so ruthless and are very sneaky in their tactics.

lynn2182 Mar 17, 2011

well, i filed and also put his website on there so they know how many complaints there was! This is ridulous, they rip people off and its frustrating because i am paying 40.00 a month and when it doesnt come out on my credit card they wait till its 129.90 to then charge my card. That is ridulous. They dont even try to call me, so screw them! They accomulate late charges..its just horrible what they do. i will see what the BBB does for me!

lynn2182 Mar 17, 2011

I filed a complaint with the BBB yesterday and they sent a copy to the company and they said if the company tries to work with me then we should try and settle our differences. If it doesnt happen then they are still investigating them as we speak. Everyone should file with the BBB of OHIO. The company is located in Ohio, so please file. We can get them banned. They are scammers. They never tell you the full story. Vip Readers told me how much i owe and i was like man for magazines i havent seen in 5 months. This is ridulous and i told them that. I want to ensure no one else gets suckered like we all did! Please file a complaint with them! Thank you for your time.

• Ca
    c.a.o. Mar 17, 2011

i got out by writing to the better business bureau in cincinati, ohio the supervisor called me and i canceled it out then

lynn2182 Mar 17, 2011

The sad part was that i completely agree with everyone. I have been scammed by them again. I like getting magazine but we should have the right to CANCEL at anytime. Ok, i moved and it takes up to 12 weeks before you start getting them again. I should get refunded for the months i havent seen them. Does anyone else agree? This crap to me!I think we should file a complaint with the BBB. Even if you cancel your card or your credit card company declines the charge from VIP Readers, they email you saying your account is past due! So then they wait until it gets up to 129.90 that you owe, then they decide to charge your card after its paid off. This is a bunch of crap! I wanna cancel it but they wont let me. you can only cancel within the first 30 days.