Union Telecom Serviceconnection fee + wrong billing!

A telemarketing person called me stating that India calling is available at 4 cents a minute. I signed up for that. After a month I got a bill showing connection fee of 39 cents for each call. I called them and the customer service person stated that they have 2 plans: one without connection fee which is 7 cents and other with connection fee + 4 cents. After lot arguing he agreed to give a refund of $10 in next months bill. I got 2nd months bill, which showed 12 cents per minute and hefty tax of 30 %. I called them again. They were talking rubbish and I didn't waste more time with them.

Don't sign up with them.

anonymous Feb 02, 2008

Same thing happened with me. Now they are misusing my credit card information. I am going through lots of pain getting it resolved with credit card company and this fraud union telecom company. Never ever sign up for this service.

• As
    Asim Zaidi Apr 02, 2008

I have been faced with a very similar situation. Union Telecom Canada marketer called me and explained the company information and asked me to sign up for the company and took my credit card information saying that it was the only method of payment since the company was located in U.S.A. After signing up with the service, they charged me $41 for no apparent reason on my bill, and every time I try to contact the customer service department, the voice quality is bad, and I hear the same excuse over months period of time and they say that their system is down, and I should call the next day. Just a while ago, I called them about cancelling the service and they said the samething about the system failure, and after some strong arguments with the representative, he said have a nice day and hung up the phone. This is exactly what they do whenever you try to call them saying you want to cancel the service. I advise EVERYONE to NEVER EVER sign up for this service!

• Am
    Amrin Apr 24, 2008

A telemarketing person called me stating that making calls to India from USA would be cheaper at the rate of 6 CENTS a minute. I signed up for that. After a month, I got a bill showing a connection fee of 39 CENTS for each call was added onto of the 6 CENTS i signed up for. I called Union Telecom customer service person..about the 'connection fee' which was not disclosed in any document, verbally or otherwise. Since they failed to commit to any of their promises they made to me, I demanded that they Cancel the Service, but Union Telecom gave me the run around. Eventually, Cynthia Castillo ( supervisor) working for Union Telecom, tried to resolve the matter with a pay-out amount in an email..to me. Amount was paid as agreed in July 2007. We had canceled the service and paid the amount, as agreed with Cynthia Castillo. The Following month, Union Telecom persons, dipped into my account and withdrew an additional 248.24 dollars. I contacted my bank, tried to dispute the charges since they were again fraudulent. About 8 months later, they have started making harassing phone calls to me, my family at our home, on our cell phones, demanding 160 more..The person called as a representative of Union Telecom from 1800 697-9234, This person called himself, Krony ID 1069, telling me that he was calling from the Credit Bureau and said that I owed 160 dollars to Union Telecom with case number 40077126, and that Richard Anson is the attorney handling the case and If that money is not paid, it will reflect negatively on my credit report. When I called this number, the number to talk to Richard Anson, the number directed me to a Union Telecom representative, not any attorney's office. I was furious because not only did these individuals steal 248.24 out of my account, overcharged me fraudulently during my time of service with their undisclosed 'connection fees' and now were threating to destroy my credit..that I have worked hard to build; if I don't pay the ransom amount of 160.00, they would destroy everything I've worked so hard to maintain. These people should be sent to jail because If I wasn't a spiritually elevated person, I would have been dead right now of a Heart Attack!!!

PLEASE HELP ME TAKE DOWN UNION TELECOM AND GET YOUR MONEY BACK. I HAVE CONTACTED FCC AND REPORTED UNION TELECOM AND WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO UNTIL THE MONEY THEY STOLE FRAUDULENTLY, IS RETURNED TO ME. WE LIVE IN AMERICA AND WE ARE BEING TREATED LIKE THIRD-CLASS CITIZENS. I REFUSE TO GIVE UP, SINCE CONTACTING FCC AND THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OFFICE, BOTH COMPLAINTS HAVE BEEN FILED AGAINST UNION TELECOM..EMAIL ME FOR INFORMATION ON HOW YOU CAN DO THE SAME. I AM VERY HARD TO CONTACT EACH AND EVERY ONE ON THIS PAGE BECAUSE I TOO AM A VICTIM OF THEIR TELEMARKETING CRIME. THE FCC AND ATTORNEY GENERAL WOULD LIKE TO HELP OUR GROUP, GRANTED WE MAKE A CLAIM TOGETHER...UNDER THE BANNER, UNION TELECOM IS RAPING ME FINANCIALLY. ..HELP ME PUT A STOP TO THIS ABUSE TODAY..EMAIL ME AT [email protected]

• Bi
    bilal agha May 12, 2008

Hello, I receive a call from India, and a lady sound in rush, and she gave me th erate to Pakistan $0.399 Cents per minutees, And she was asking $40.00 as asequrty deposit. I agree on it. when I rceive the bill, they are chanrging Tax, in Voice over IP. As per USA Govt Rules, there is no tax on VOIP. I tred to cancel the account bu they said it will be close in 22nd if this month. I'am trying to close since December 2007, but it took more then 5 months to close it. Please dont take the service. and don't forget to close the account of the Credit card you gave then in the begning. send the money by Money order.
    This is not a good company for VOIP services,
    From Gainesville, va 20155
    [email protected]
    5/12/08
    Thanks for reading.

Sarika Jun 28, 2008

They (Union Telecom) are bunch of liars, theives and thugs.

Do not sign with them. They are charging for those calls that you are even connected to.

I got the bill $91.23 and $70.58 for month of April and May 2008. I had not spoken to my husband and my relatives in India but I was being charged. They are totally ###. Why someone should pay the charges for the calls not connected to the destination numbers. The only thing happened that the destination telephone bell was ringing and nobody answred my phome. I got a lot of arguments with United Telecom and spoke to Mithultha, Neha, Tarun, Deepti, Rajbeer, Karan etc.. spoken to customer care service but the problem has not resolved for the last 2 months. It is been more than 20 times that the indian sales rep. idiots, stupids are ruining their india image in front of foreigners, canadian & americans like telling lies on the phone.

I do not understand why someone pay for the calls not even connected to destination. The telehone bell was ringing for 2 monutes or 3 minutes and they are charged me 0.49 cents or sometimes 0.59 cents which is totally unfair and illegal.

I would everybody recommend not to sign up with United Telecom. They are money stealer.

Sarika

Andy Jul 02, 2008

I have been getting a lot of calls from Union Telecom. The agents do not provide all the information and when pressed for information, they lie. I was told that there was no fee of any kind and the rate would be 3.9 cents per minute. When I asked what my charges would be for 1 minute call and a 10 minute call to India, I was told it would be 4 cents and 39 cents. This is not correct as they have a connection fee which they do not disclose. They have a 3 minute rounding instead of 1 minute rounding. Since they are cheating, that is why they ask for a security deposit. When I told them that I do not believe in security deposit as my credit is good. Then he offered a 5.9 cents per minute offer. When I asked him why would the rate be different, he could not explain. When I refused to sign up he used the four letter word.

Union Telecom is doing business by cheating people. They want people to sign up by providing false information. When I asked them to send all the information in an email, they refused, telling me that they do not have access to an email. They only provide information over the telephone. This way, acustomer can never prove the offer he was given when signing up. Obvoiusly I was smart enough to ask lots of questions and not sign up with them.

NEVER do business with this company.

• Mu
    Muhammad I. Jul 14, 2008

They are just a bunch of thugs and liars. The telemarketer called me and told me a weird story, which was confirmed by his supervisor, that they had few connections left from previous month for 2.9 cents per minutes to Pakistan. Of course, I signed up. I agreed to a charge/deposit of $39.50. Well, first thing, the charge was in US dollars. A week later, they charged me another $120 US dollars again. So I contacted my credit card company and had them reverse the unauthorised charge. Finally, I got a bill for over $200 (once again in US dollars) which in my mind should have been only like $60. The rate they charged me was 7.9 cents plus connection fee. The bill included some unknown charges (supposedly US taxes) which I think is an outrage because services were provided in Canada and no US taxes should be applicable. Anyway, then these goofs put another charge for the partias amount of the bill on my card in US dollars. Looks like to me they have no ethics or control over themselves and feel free to charge people's cards whenever they feel like it. I am going to dispute that charge as well until they provide me a good explanation why they are scamming people like that.

• Ra
    ravi Jul 14, 2008

Union Telecom is very unethical company. They are real ###. I have more or less the same story.
    In Feb 2008, I got a connection with the same 4.9 cents a min to India. They took $39.50 as deposit. Then I used it for one month and for one short call I made, I got more $14 bill. I thought wtf, called the customer service and asked them to cancel my account and refund my deposit. One lady spoke to me and then her supervisor trying to convince me to stick to the plan. They offered one with 5cents and no connection fee. After my insisting for a long time, they said they would cancel the plan and return my deposit. But they asked me to pay my bill immediately, obviously I am good and I paid. She told me it would take 45days to get deposit back. Finally, I patted myself on the back...
    After 2 months I didn't get my money. I called them again. Now they are arguing that I took the plan without the connection fee they have offered me 2 months back. I asked them if they see calls that I made in the past 2 months. Ofcourse they answered no. Then I asked why the f... do you think I would have taken the offer. Then they said sorry blah, blah, blah.. and again tried to convince me to take different plan. I didn't agree, again the supervisor told me it would take 45days for the deposit to be paid back. I said whattttt? I told them seriously if I don't see my money within a week I would report to the consumer bureau.
    Result: I still didn't get my money. Ofcourse I did not complain yet. But I am willing to asap, need to do a little research on how to do this so that the union telecom gets screwed.
    I am thinking the most efficient way is to write the reviews wherever we can so that nobody becomes customer of that company of ###.

• Ka
    Kashif Atta Jul 20, 2008

My credit card showin deduction of the

UNION TELECOM 212-4470217 NY $112.41

I never made a single call using telecom services, i also paid from my credit card last month.

Please send this money back to me.

Kashif Atta
    Res: 416 233 1782
    cell: 647 403 8172
    Apt# 1206, 25 Mabelle Ave
    Toronto ON M9A4Y1

• - - Jul 23, 2008

These ###s talked all nice on the phone and said their call center was in Pakistan. They claimed to offer cheap rates so I (stupidly) signed up. Turns out they charged me 3 times what I had originally indicated, 40 dollars times 3. I immediately changed my credit card, and filed a report with the Miami Beach police, where they are located.

Indications for why you shouldn't trust these people:

1) No address listed in their contact information
    2) They are totally unknown despite their flashy website
    3) The people on the phone do not talk honestly--also, they are a a telephone service provider with horrible connections. One guy even called me through a computer connection. Would you trust a dentist with bad teeth?

Please avoid these people.

• - - Jul 23, 2008

Here's what a whois? lookup returned for the website address holder, probably another fake address:

[email protected]
    Telecom, Union
    222 E 34St
    New York, NY 10016
    US

• Po
    Poonam Jul 26, 2008

I am also a victim of Union Telecom. They did the same thing to me. When I went ahead and cancelled the service. They are refusing to give me the refund. When you call back, the customer service representatives are rude. They say there is no supervisor on the floor. Somebody would call u back. Nobody calls back. They are rude and hang up on you saying you are not a customer anymore. I am so fed up. This is causing me harassment. Can somebody advise me whom do I complain to? Can we all get together and tackle this company who is cheating North Americans? Is somebody listening?

• Hv
    HVP Jul 26, 2008

They give us wronge bill and than they don't even talk to us. they told me to give my deposite in 3 day's but they didn't send me any money.

• Je
    Jeevan Jul 29, 2008

Please put complain in http://www.ftc.gov

• El
    Eldee Jul 30, 2008

First week of July 2008 I got a call typical telemarketing lady calling me saying about 3 cents per minute calls to India. Initially I did not find anything wrong. Then she passed on the call to her manager. Again so called manager told me that no extra charges and so and so please confirm with account dept. Then 3rd person came on line and took all billing details. Then told me it is 3 minutes rounding (which was never told to me before) then also told me about additional 39 cents to each call (which was never told to me before). He told me all this after taking credit card and home address info. Then he said do you understand. Fortunately I understood and I told them to cancel everything they have recorded so far in the call. After that started my night mare. More than ten calls in less than two days from the same company with threating calls to me also to my wife to misuse my credit card. etc etc. A person so called Rahul (may not be real name) calling me to give confirmation number of order for which I never confirmed the order. Immediately I called my bank to cancel the credit card. Fortunately no money charged and no misuse of card till that time. Govt should take action against this type of company, I can stand as witness and provide my phone records.

• At
    Atul Aug 10, 2008

Yes, I strongly agree with this complaint. They charged my credit card for which I never used their service. when I told them that I never called India and number that you have in my bill is not mine. They had some other phone line in 'from' and 'to' phone numbers. I never subcribed any other phone number. THEY ARE RIP OFF.
    Union telecom is realy fraud company

maryam shah Aug 12, 2008

i agree with all of the above complains but can sombody tell me where to call for there complain in usa or in canada thanks or cant we all press charge them or atleast tell the media about it ?let me know plz my email is [email protected]

• Sh
    shelly Aug 13, 2008

i have been charged for the calls i never made.
    somebody has been making calls to Egypt, France, nigeria, kuwait, iran, saudi-arabia, iraq.
    this company is charging me again and again, instead of refunding me.

John Aug 20, 2008

Union Telecom is a big time FRAUD company. they said they will give me 3.9 cents flat to all the destinations, and said there was no connection fee with it. I was also not informed about the security advance that they charge.
    They deducted $40 from my credit card, I received a huge bill from them for the few calls that I made, witha connection charge of 55 cents, and now i want to cencel my service, no body picks up the phone. I am planning to sue them up if it does not get resolved in the next one week...
    can somebody give me their direct no.. i really wanna blast them, , ,

PLEASE DO NOT GO FOR UNION TELECOM (UT).. They are reckless Frauds !!

• Al
    allis Aug 24, 2008

I have gone through the same stuff. I m thinking the only way is to rip them off the same way. Cancel your credit card. Use their service as much as possible for the last month and dont pay them. Change your phone number if possible after one month of cancelling your crdit card so tht they cant call u. If everyone does it atleast they will not make profit or go bankrupt. Also lodge complaints to BBB business bureau so tht their rating is the worst.

• Fa
    Far Aug 27, 2008

gentlemen, I had gone with same pain with UT. THEy ARE FRAUD, and treating us like we are from 4th world. i agree with the person above me to cancel your credit card and then behave with them the same way they did.
    they are rubbish may be fraud is a very polite word for them they even don't cancel your service when you request.
    their rep offered me 5.5c including everything to back home and then charged me 12c+tax + $39.95 ( non refundable as they don't believe in refunding )
    So hit them as hard as you can.

• Fa
    Far Aug 27, 2008

could anyone tell me exactly how to report against them in Canada? details please. thanks.

• As
    Ash Aug 27, 2008

I had a similar negative experience with Union telecom canada. their agents lie openly without any hesitation on being questioned on the plan even when recording the transcation confirmation on voice recording they lied to me about the charges etc, there after when I recieved the confirmation email - the plan was very different from what they explained to me and recorded. they will not go back to the recording and check it - voice quality on customer service is pathetic and their response to my complaint at the most was lame, actually the CSR sounded like an accomplice in the fraud, he asked me to go complaining to whoever I want - after all I have to decide how I use my time. They are frauds and liers.

If you value yr money and work to get your money stay away.

I will be reporting this to the BBB.

• Ra
    Ramin Aug 28, 2008

I sined up with them and gave my credit card numbr, they kept to getting money from my visa account and visa company not doing anything, they are thefts.

• Ab
    Abdus Sammad Aug 30, 2008

Please be aware of theses scammers.We all should file with BBB
    For Pakistan with connection fee the rep told me the rate of 2.9cents per minute. I signed up with them and now I have a bill of over $100 with no apparent adjustment of referrals. When I called them, the customer service have a very bad connection and on top with Jamaican accent. Its hard to understand or communicate with that guy as they have been trained as deaf people with two or three sentence of repition. I give up and to hell with my security deposit.
    Unfortunately I got my brother's number as a referral who also been robbed with hefty amount as well.
    They are charging credit cards with no authorizations and without any prior billing statement. The CC companies favour the merchants obviously because thats their source of income

DONOT SIGN UP WITH THEM PERIOD

• Fe
    fernando Aug 31, 2008

FOR ONE MONTH THIS COMPANY HAS BE CALLING ME TO CHARGE ME 200 MDOLARS IN CALLS THAT I NEVER DID, THEY HAVE SEND ME AN INVOICE 15 DAYS LATER AND IN IT APPEARS 3 TELEPHONE LINES THAT ARE NOT MINE AND THAT HAVE BEEN USED TO CALL TO ALL THE WORLD, WITH OUT MY PERMISSION THEY HAVE DEBITED ONE OF MY BANK ACCOUNTS, I ONLY OWE THEM 3 DOLARS AND THEY HAVE DEBITED $ 100.00, I HAVE CALLED THEM SEVERAL TIMES AND NOBODY WANT'S TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM, THIS IS A FREUD FRO SURE.

• Ro
    Roy oommen Sep 01, 2008

I am very much disappointed with their service. THey had told me that I have to pay only $7.95 and that is for the month of july and after that I changed my credit card. Now some one called me and telling me that I have to pay $200 and started arguing and they agreed to pay $20. But fortunately I didn't give my new credit card number. I tried to call their office and I told them I need to cancel your service and I need my advance deposit of $40 and they are keeping on holding the phone without no answer... THis is the ever big fraudulent company in US and I ask everyone not to join this company and never give your credit card information to them..

• Ab
    Abraham John Sep 02, 2008

This company is formed by some crooks. They took a deposit of $39.00 told that they will return upon cancellation. I cancelled the service as it was not upto any standard and requested for refund but I never get it. Theses bunch of thieves are looting people. Ugly beasts.

• Mi
    Mike Sep 14, 2008

Your best bet is declare it a fraud and get back as much as possible from your card compamy. close your card.Also write a certified/registered letter to UT asking them to remove charges/close your account and don't pay. Talk to Depat of consumer protection.

• Ta
    tarum Sep 26, 2008

dont worry about that, i gonna give you $30 discont. thank Union Telecom your long call distance service

• Pr
    prithvi Sep 27, 2008

Telemarketing compnay cheated me with quote fo call of 2.9 cents and never mention about .39 cent connection fee, but once i came to know and call them back they say they did told me about connection fee. they took 39 dollars as security deposit anda re not fefunding now .

• De
    Deepthi Oct 11, 2008

Same thing Happened with me. One of agent named chandan from UNION TELECOM called us and told that india call is for 2 cents per minute, and they charged 39 cents more and they are even charging 30% taxes. they are very rude and behaved like an idiots. I strongly suggest You to not to accept any Deal from this fraud company.

DONT DEAL WITH THIS MORALESS COMPANY WHICH IS GOING TO SUCK.

• Se
    Senthil Oct 14, 2008

Its a fraud company. They deducted the dopist from my account, after I knowing about the 0.39 cents per call service charge, i disconnected. It is been more than 2 months, they have not refund my deposit. What to do with thse fraud companies. Can we take any leagal action againts them??

• Na
    Nayyar Oct 14, 2008

Hi, Every One

I have the same complain with this fraudulant union telecom company. They charged me on my credit card for the phone calls I never made and I am trying to cancel my services with them since start of september. They even gave me the cancellation number but still my account is active with them. About the security deposit it not refunded back yet and also the amount they deducted for wrong billing. If any one call from union telecom for cheap rates don't believe it and don't sign up with them.

• Ni
    Nico Oct 15, 2008

Union Telecom is a big time FRAUD company.They charged my credit card for which I never used their service. when I told them that I never called India and number that you have in my bill is not mine. They had some other phone line in 'from' and 'to' phone numbers. I never subcribed any other phone number. THEY ARE RIP OFF.When I went ahead and cancelled the service. They are refusing to give me the refund. Also lodge complaints to BBB business bureau let see what happen next

Jasbir Bhatia Oct 15, 2008

I have made so many phone calls re my billing. They charged me 120 USD though I never made those calls. They did not even originate from my phone number. They were from different phone numbers. Everytime I call them they put me on hold and never solve the problem. Now they have taken the money out of my credit card. The company is not trustworthy. It looks like their own sales people are giving away the access numbers to people and making money and charging the customers. Be careful. I am going to report the matter to BBB and other organizations. Beware of this company!!

• Am
    Amitabh Dubey Oct 16, 2008

Union Telecom is the telecommunication fraud. They do following things
    - Call you and talk to you nicely.
    - Offer a plan ( 2.99 per call with no connection charges and security deposit of $39.00)
    - They charge your credit card immediately with $39.00
    - They would call again saying your plan was sold by a wrong agency and they now intend to ractify it by merging your account
    - If you say no they refuse to give you your deposit and if you insist, they call you by names
    - They literally abused me ( Calling bad words and dared me to do any thing)

Recommendation: Cancel your credit card as soon possible. Banks recommends to cancel the card itself, since they would have to honour any payment requested by Union Telecom

• Na
    Nassim Oct 28, 2008

Yes, I strongly agree with this complaint. They charged my credit card for which I never used their service. When I sign with them, they told me, I can add my cell phone as call phone. After three months, I got call from my cell phone company. They wanted to verified that I am using Internet on my cell phone. I never had Internet usage at all. I was billed for $3800.00 from my provider fro Internet. I was pain to fight with my cell phone provider and prove that I never sign for that service. I did not give my cell phone number toThe first month was OK. After first month, I got the invoice fo anywhere, except to union telecome. after two weeks, they call me and they wanted to charge me on my credit card. I did not give them info, until they email me an invoice. It was very little. I gave them my credit card and the problem stated. They charge me as much they wanted. Until I call them and asked for invoce on line.
    They had some other phone line in 'from' and 'to' phone numbers. I never subcribed any other phone number, for example 416-318000 calling myfamily in Iran. I never singed for that phone number.
    I called them, They gave me credit and $176.00 charged became $21.00.
    THEY ARE RIP OFFI read all the story about union telecome long distance company from UAS and CANADA. They are bun.
    I will cotact Canadian government and I will asked them to answer all questions. They have to close such these companies or watch them.

• Ve
    venkat Nov 01, 2008

Hi,

I am lucky. I have Reliance service and I don't have any issues. Of course I pay 7.9 cents per minute. Recently I am getting lot of calls from Union Telecom and those guys are telling the same old story $39.00 deposit and 3.9 cents per minute with one minute rounding off. After seeing all these postings I told them to go to www.complaintsboard.com and resolve all issues and come back to me.

Thanks you all for sharing your experiences.

Venkat

• Pi
    Pisssed Customer Nov 04, 2008

This is abosulutely true, i know many people have been victim of this... people looking for better service and rates please do not make a account with union telecom...they are cheater and will never give you your money back and will charge you more than you make calls.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices