The History Channelprogramming

H Review updated:

The history channel should change its name to "crappy reality tv show channel" - they've definitely taken the emphasis away from history. Its primary viewers don't care about ice road truckers, axmen and celebrity biographies. People who do watch zone reality and e! Entertainment for that stuff. This channel is going down the toilet and its very sad because there is so little educational programming on offer these days.

• Mi
    Michael Holly Apr 13, 2021

I agree History channel is now Junk Channel. Boring filthy reality shows such as Curse of Oak island and Ax Men. Also, the p.o.s. show called Ancient Aliens which is racist against the accomplishments of ancient people by attributing their monuments and works to aliens. I think Ancient Aliens should be cancelled immediately! I will no longer watch History Channel unless they cancel those filthy shows and go back to the fact-based history shows like they used to do.

• Ir
    Irate Taurus Nov 30, 2019

It seems that someone thinks loud background noise (music?) adds something to a documentary. I was just watching a program on the revolutionary war and the background music was so loud and distracting that I missed way too much of the dialog. Please, please, eliminate the noise or at least turn the volume down so that the narration can be heard.

• Ji
    JimT1956 Jun 07, 2019

You guys cannot be serious about the new "Nariator" who voice makes my skin crawl. We don't need someone reading the screen for us and if we did, seriously could get someone way better...I'm not sure I can watch any longer.

Who is this person? Must be a big wig and wants to be noticed or something because I cannot believe the powers that be there on the History channel could think this was a good move. You had a Nariator who was very good and only nariated when neccesary. I feel like a child being read a book...please send this guy his walking papers. Jim

• Ro
    Ronnie700 May 18, 2019

I am guessing that the Alien format of The History Channel is more lucrative than a history format why else would they leave the history buffs in the dust. The channel has really adulterated themselves and went awhoring after other gods instead of the God of the Bible.

• De
    Debra Rigby Mar 23, 2019

The medieval warming period is what allowed the VIKINGS to settle in what is "now" the cold, Greenland/Newfoundland area. Back in 1, 000 A.D., the summers were longer and warmer due to LACK OF VOLCANIC activity, which normally blocks the sun's rays. THIS IS WHY THEY SURVIVED and then dispersed, died off, and/or moved back to Scandinavia areas when farming became good again. The Newfoundland/Vinland settlement no longer existed when the LITTLE ICE AGE came. FYI: GLOBAL WARMING is a natural event (and is not always related to human wastes). GOOGLE SCHOLAR: LITTLE ICE AGE and MEDIEVAL WARMING PERIOD. **** The next ice age is on its way - and this is what helps to negate (cancel out) fears of GLOBAL WARMING ... get an education dudes !!! Your History Channel explains the VIKING settlement in the DUMBEST and most ignorant fashion... do your homework before airing History specials !!! It's all about global warming and intermittent ice-age periods that continue to occur and will always be part of the Earth's nature.

• Ar
    AresRules Dec 28, 2018

I don't care about watching people cut down trees, dig holes in the earth at Oak Island, drive semi-trucks in Alaska, hunt alligators, nor buy stuff whether in a pawn shop or going house to house. Get back to history programs or change the name to "Another Reality TV Network".

• Ld
    Ldollar Dec 20, 2018

Please eradicate American Pickers from my TV! I hate this show!

• Cu
    Curly48 Nov 20, 2018

Reconsider staying with the Navy Seal show SIX

• Cm
    CMCummings Aug 17, 2018

...what is time but dimensional stepping...On certain levels time travel is no secret...however it does cost money to use the app...it is immediate and not chancy...however it carries stiff penalties should you be apprehended by The Royal Federal Federation...Royal Estates are more common...Democracies are much less in number but more popular...Yes eternities here and eternities there...this has been my passing...and my Chronicles Story Blog might be interesting to some...however I'm still not as smart as a School Book... conradmcummings.simplesite.com

• Pa
    Patty Hallmark Dickey Aug 12, 2018

You have RUINED the show ALONE by having a "narrator"...describing every leaf and tree that can be seen. The guy jumps in the water and splashes it on his face and arms...I see it, I dont need you telling me every single movement. It was Soooo much better without you. Keep on narrating this show, and you will be watching it ALONE! way to go history channel...fix something that aint broke.

• Ad
    adpfl Jul 04, 2018

I have watched the History channel for a long time, and I know it's a geeky show but, I have always enjoyed "Ancient Aliens, " until this season. What is with the female voice being randomly interjected? There is no rhyme or reason to it. Have the amassed such a large audience of people that are unable to read that it is necessary to speak the names of the people on the screen (whose names are there in large letters)? One person is about to speak, the name is announced, the same with the next speaker, but then for the third the name is announced after he is done speaking. And, please tell me why, when I can see the picture on the screen, so I need to be told "The sun is setting on the Vatican" or "a shadow is over the earth?" I find this so annoying it makes me want to stop watching.

Of course, I am unable to send my comments directly to the History Channel, so I guess they don't much care what thier viewers think. They are cheapening thier programming and I am truly disappointed.

Christopher Ross Jun 02, 2018

Bottom line it SUCKS BIG TIME

• We
    Wendy J (wdjny) Jun 01, 2018

?? who decided to get rid of the BIO channel and put biographies on the History channel??? Ok if it's actually related to history-yes! but if it's about a celebrities' life then it should be on BIO channel like it used to be! History should be about history end of!

• Sp
    Special K Apr 24, 2018

Probably the sorriest channel one could watch! First The course of Oak Island! Lol. Repeat the episodes every other week! Then Forged in Fire Knife or Death! The butcher with his 13 inch knife!!! Are you serious???? What a joke the History Channel has become!!! Show a few more Sallyboy's with kilt's!! The butcher that handle's a knife 8 hour's a day Bwahahahaha! See ya, will never watch again. Ba Bye!!!

Christopher Ross Jun 02, 2018

@Special K We need to find their office, and require a refund for their sorry excuse of programming .

• Oi
    Oille22 Apr 23, 2018

Most of the posted comments are not complimentary of how the History Channel handles the many reality shows they produce. I feel the main reason is the same announcer seems to be used for Curse of Oak Island and Curse of Civil War Gold. Whoever writes his commentary is obviously clueless as what people want to hear about those two shows. Your primary viewer is typically NOT a mindless, uneducated person who is unemployed, but that is how your stupid commentary comes across. Why would anyone believe there is The Ark of the Convenient, or priceless lost gold artifacts in the area being searched? OK, mention it once, but then give it a rest. People interested in the shows are interested in 'something of value' that may be found, but the carrot is the process of determining if that is true and how they do it. The over the top commentary about mentioning one-of-a-kind artifacts or millions in gold is ridiculous and makes the show appear ridiculous. These types of reality shows do NOT need BS drama injected to hype the ratings. That tends to turn people off in this case, but some other reality shows may warrant that. Looking at minor areas of clues and what was used to locate them is far more interesting. I would change your thinking on how specific search and discovery shows are assembled.

• Rv
    R. Vaughan Mar 15, 2018

I love the History Channel and almost all the presented programs. However, I do have several things that you may want to consider.

ITEM#1. These things have to do with the presentation of the actual presentation of the series. The background "noise" and/or constant drum beats, and cymbal crashing do NOTHING for the actual enjoyment of the series, except to attempt to fake drama. The background noise is totally unnecessary, in my opinion, and actually detract from the enjoyment of the program.
    Watching the "Oak Island series" I have begun to become very irritated at the constant drumming in the background, that covers up some information that is needed to keep ahead of the outcome.

ITEM #2. The inane announcer on the Oak Island series need to work in a few elementary school drama plays, instead of trying to keep the viewers interest up with wity sayings, such as..."Is it possible that this may be...?" or "Could they have found the long lost...?" This, to me, is unnecessary and only for school children's entertainment. Let the unfolding of the story or discovery tell the story, instead of these inane comments form the announcer.
    Thanks for reading this )I hope) and letting me vent me own irritations and suggestions. Keep up the excellent programming, explorations, and allelse that you do very well.

ITEM#3. Please stop the beginning of each and every episode of each series with the same introduction and recap that was presented EVERY DAY! It is totally unneeded and uses up too much informational time.

I realize that my lay opinion will most likely go unread or unheeded, but I thank you for giving me an opportunity to have my say.

Bob Vaughan, Clovis, CA
    2113 Austin Ave, Clovis, CA 93611
    [protected]

• Br
    Bruce Grimes Feb 20, 2018

I watch The curse of oak island. Lately I keep seeing the same thing over and over, but the view date makes it look like it's a new show., Watching tonight and the view date is 20 Feb 18, the current date. This show was on last week! Where is the new stuff? Stop going over what happened on previous shows and only showing maybe 10 minutes of NEW material!

• De
    Des5812 Sep 21, 2017

Is the only show that they can run anymore is American Pickers my God I used to enjoy watching The History Channel but everytime I turn the station on that's all they're doing it's constantly runs of American Pickers and Pawn Stars there's nothing new and exciting coming out with the History Channel they make multi-millionaires out of guys one of the pawn shop in Las Vegas and a couple of guys from Iowa who couldn't rub two quarters together when they started the show and now they're in Europe of buying $200, 000 cars my God what happened to u.s. history absolutely nothing apparently they can't come up with anymore unless it involves some type of reality star that they can make into multimillionaire

• Ba
    BarbRN Jul 22, 2017

I agree with the above comments. I really used to like the History Channel but now hardly ever watch it. I'm so sick of American Pickers and Pawn Stars I could cry. The one show I love, however, is Alone. Well, until this season. I wonder who the genius is who decided it would be interesting to watch people wade through underbrush for days on end. Then, (after half the people age now gone) once they are reunited with their partner, we get to watch them sit in their shelters for days because of the unending rain. Really, I'm forcing myself to watch and hoping something interesting might happen. So far, nothing has. I have been on the edge of my seat for every other season of Alone. This one is torture!

Joshua Smith80 May 18, 2017

Also tired of the all Spanish commercials for telemundo. I speak english, it is an American channel with American shows. Why are we running commercials for Spanish tv. And I also agree that most of what is on has caused me to tune out. I used to never changed my tv from history or h2. Now h2 is gone and my shows went to late ours replaced by reality tv b.s.

• Ox
    oxo Apr 29, 2017

why do the producers pay money for music?If i want music I will turn on the radio, I do not want to listen to some person describing what is happening and a whole drum roll going on or in the program i was watching I think some one was hitting a cast iron drain pipe with a very large hammer, think of the money they could save as well, Like the person before I had to turn off the show because i was getting a headache trying to watch it.If you want suspense try watching some of the danish, Scandinavian programs where there is no music at all best in the world for suspense.

• Da
    David Wallis Apr 20, 2017

History Channel and H2 archaic programming methods are enough to drive sane people into suicide. Two minutes of programming interspersed with so-called info commercials about other programs being broadcast later in the schedule.

One of the reasons why I enjoyed European television was because programs were interrupted with the fewest commercials---and they were really selling stuff. In one hour, I can't tell you how many times I had to listen to advertisements about Larry traveling in America, that Franklin was thought to be a serial killer, and the myth about some Secret Book only the president knows about.

It is no wonder so many people prefer to go "elsewhere" to view History Channel and H2 programming, if for no other reason than to escape the mind-numbing repetition of these unnecessary info commercials shilling for other programs.

• Sh
    Sharon Minielli Apr 19, 2017

I rarely watch the History Channel anymore. I am a total history buff (especially the Civil War) The used to have programming on about that and other actual HISTORICAL shows. Now we have ridiculous Mountain Men, Pawn Stars, and American Pickers non of which have much to do with historical facts. Please change the name of your channel to more bullcrap TV

• Ay
    Ayman Hasani Apr 01, 2017

We are watching the program about the end of the world here in Brazil with the name " o juizo final " and I noticed that you missed a little detail about the eruption in yellowstone, it was said that the sound of the eruption would be heard for three times in the whole world until it gets weaker and weaker, but don´t forget that the sound does not go one way only, and that means that it would be heard twice at the same time somewhere on the opposite side of the globe ( which could be Australia or nearby, that is not the case) and the waves of the sound would be coming one from the east and other from the west at the same time, so if it supposed to make three turns around the earth, then it would be heard 6 times in each point on earth

• Am
    Amy Wegner Mar 29, 2017

Please take swamp people off the air!! It is a disgrace and disgusting to show these hillbillies pulling these poor reptiles out of their habitat just so they can make money! AND the History channel supports this horrible act by giving these people a show??!! This is inhumane and disgraceful to be showing this and calling it entertainment!! DO us a favor and take this ignorant excuse of a tv show!! I'm rooting for the reptile to have its day when it gets to chomp down on those swamp people in the boat!!! Hey...There's a show for ya!!

• Bu
    BusterF Feb 02, 2017

20 minutes of advertising the same rubbish during 60 minutes of program is unacceptable.

So I will not be watching "Six" any more - I will download the torrent and watch 40 minutes uninterrupted.

History channel, you are your own worst enemy.

Charles Cottrell Jan 29, 2017

I too are not happy with the mindless programming on what is called the history channel. Other channels have followed this trend. We all know what the motivation is...Money. I paid for cable when these shows. Stood up to their names. When there was history, when you could really learn something on learning channel and discovery really discovered. it's obvious what group of people they are pandering too. All I know is I'm saving $100 a month now because all that's on cable now is sht.

Charles Cottrell Jan 29, 2017

@Charles Cottrell Oh ya doesn't that guy on counting cars ever take that rag off his head?

• Va
    Var D'ovoli Jan 02, 2017

The history channel should be renamed to the american pickers channel since american pickers airs all day every day. It's such mindless drivel. The history channel used to be my "go to" channel however, now i skip right past it unless i happen to catch one of those "not airing that ####ty american pickers show" moments.

• Ti
    Time Limit Dec 30, 2016

It has an agenda, it to change history . By omitting the truth and inserting B S .. Now it insult to viewer ..

• Va
    Vanessa Manis Nov 15, 2016

why is gangland undercover season 2 not on demand???????????? the first one was. i am so annoyed...going to cancel my subscription to history channel

Charles Cottrell Jan 29, 2017

@Vanessa Manis I cancelled cable altogether. That$100 comes in handy. My friends are doing the same.

[email protected] Oct 23, 2016

I've had this feeling for many years, and it's obviously not my own. The history channel sucks!!! They should definitely change the name to "historeality". I will never watch it again. H2 was ok, but gone now. Even the discovery channel is crap. I will watch smithsonian, nat geo, pivot, ahc, science, bbc world, bbc america & pbs. ( free advertisement) i wish we could get cable ala-carte...Hmmm... Just an idea for any entrepreneurs out there. I hope this "reality tv" era we're in gets shunned like the "disco sucks" revolution did in the 70s. And disco wasn't even as bad!!! Ok... I even liked that a little. But i find nothing entertaining about reality tv.

charles sleath Oct 08, 2016

I have hearing aids and when there is a program with music playing with the narration i can't understand what the narrator is saying. This is a common problem for the hearing impaired especially when the music is louder than the person talking. The music is not necessary. Please stop it on all you're shows.

Joanne martin 13 Jul 30, 2016

I am in a process to delete or remove history Chanel from my sky just because they are due to play the worst tv program ever the ### executioner ! That simple !

• Ju
    Judy Dowell Jun 12, 2016

Reality? Really? Tune in to Mountain men, turn your sound up, now tell me, is the bird sound really necessary? If they were real, I wouldn't mind, but it sure sounds like a looped noise, plus it is still tweeting away in the night time shots! Do you think we are stup? Birds sleep from sunset to sunrise! It is an annoying looped sound! I have heard the same soundbytes on other shows. Grow up, just because there's not really too many natural sounds in the background sure doesn't mean to fill the void with bird noise!

• Ca
    Calijoe May 12, 2016

I agree with a lot of the complaints that have been posted, but i have noticed no one from the HC has commented back, and i have noticed the programming has stayed the same. So i guess all this complaining is being done in vane. The bottom line is my friends, if you have more money than me, then you can show what you want, if not, then watch what i show and deal with it. No money no controll

• 00
    00poppie Apr 30, 2016

History channel used to be my favorite, most watched channel. Since the big change a month or so ago, there is nothing worth watching. I am thinking about dropping my Dish service.

• Ka
    Karen Waeltz Apr 01, 2016

I used to love the history channel, now just looking at the lineup makes me sick. The channel has become nothing but a bunch of hillbillies boating around a swamp, cutting down trees or driving a truck across a frozen lake (do you notice a pattern). In the few times that crapfest of a lineup isn't on to viewers have to endure some weirdo talking about aliens. The saddest thing is that the show about the two garbage pickers is the closest thing to history and that is only because they are looking at log junk. The history channel used to provide some educational entertainment, now it kills your brain cells with each minute you tune in. Please return this channel to the way it was and let those who like reality tv tune in somewhere else. Lord knows there are plenty of other channels playing that BS.

• Ka
    Karen Waeltz Apr 01, 2016

i used to love the history channel, now just looking at the lineup makes me sick. There is nothing historical about watching a bunch of hillbillies boating around a swamp, cutting trees or driving across a frozen lake. What used to be a channel that educated people now zaps brain cells every minute you watch. This has become a reality show nightmare, and when a reality show isn't playing you have some weirdo spewing bs about aliens. Please drop all this crap television and go back to the way things were. The reality junkies can find their fix somewhere else. Lord knows there are plenty of other channels with that reality crap playing.

• Jm
    JMT62 Mar 29, 2016

Good morning A&E.

I am writing to you regarding the show Pawn Stars and in particular, Chumlee.
    I just read on the internet that Chumlee was arrested and charged with 19 weapons and drug related charges on March 9th.
    I cannot say I was surprised.
    I watch the show and do enjoy it. The only part of the show I never enjoyed was Chumlee.
    He simply played the part of the bumbling idiot.
    Well, it would appear he is not bumbling idiot, however, a drug addict/trafficker and perhaps a violent sexual deviant.
    I read that the reason the police went to his residence was regarding the alleged sexual assault.
    He sure tried to fool everyone as to "who" Chumlee really is.
    I am writing to you from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
    I, myself, have been self employed since March 1983.
    That is 33 years.
    I think that when it comes to future shows, History Channel may want to think about deleting Chumlee from those shows.
    I sure don't want to see him anymore.
    I realize the presumption of innocence till proven otherwise, however, he was caught with the goods in his home.
    It will be very difficult to fight that many charges and be found not guilty on all of them.
    He definitely will be going to prison.
    Its not a matter if he is, its a matter of how many years or possible decades he receives.
    Wow, if he did in fact rape a woman, that is really terrible.
    To do that to a defenceless, helpless, woman and, assault her in a sexual way is the worst of crimes, behind murder, in my opinion.
    I am sure he will be charged with the offence of sexual assault very soon.
    What a terrible, deviant, violent individual he turned out to be.
    He was always like this. He simply is a good actor on the show and portrayed himself in a different light, rather than the person he really is.
    Thank you.

• Lo
    LouanneST Mar 27, 2016

I understand that the a&e channel rebranded h2 to viceland. So now where are my favorite h2 shows? Viceland doesn't offend me, i'm just not interested in any of the shows there. Very upset that h2 is gone. I also find it very interesting that there is no way to email this network a complaint. So consider this a complaint, a huge complaint.
    Also the history channel - how in the world are these shows considered history???? American pickers? Ax men? Pawn stars? Swamp people?