TCF Banktcf takes advantage of their customers!

I am furious with this bank. I set up a savings account so that I would have emergency funds. When I set up the account I specifically asked if the funds from my savings would be move to checking to protect against NSF fees and I was told that it would. I found out later that this was a lie. The product they offer for overdraft protection is a separate service and you have to apply for it like a loan. Anyway I had two tragedies happen within 2 weeks. Two of my family members were killed in terrible car accidents and i had to leave town. Upon my return my father in law was hospitalized for open heart surgery and my father was also hospitalized. I also come home to overdraft notices from TCF bank. They charged me $300 in NSF fees. I had over $600 in my savings which would have been more then sufficient to cover the charges on the account avoiding the NSF fees. I went to the downtown branch and asked to speak to a manager. She was extremely rude to me and sneered as I told for about my recent tragedies.I asked why the bank would not adopt the practice of many other banks as it pertained to savings accounts protecting checking accounts. She said that customers would be upset if the bank transfered funds from one account to other without the customers knowledge. I said you honestly think someone would be upset that you saved them from $300 in NSF fees? Yes, she replied. It is obvious that this bank uses NSF fees to take advantage of people who are having difficulties. Why else would they not allow an automatic transfer to cover a checking account. I was out of town with no internet access and no cell phone access. Needless to say that was the last thing on my mind when I was trying to bury a family member. This bank had no problem taking money from someone in a dyer situation.

• Po
    pobarjenkins Jun 15, 2016

The majority of banks are starting monthly charges to compensate the loss of profits due to limitations on overdraft fees.

• Fr
    Fred232 Jun 15, 2016

TCF bank, prior to new laws being passed in regards to bank practices, changed the account agreements of members, including me. The new agreement forces customers to pay the account fee if the balance is less than 500.00 dollars, even though I have opened my account long ago and it was TOTALLY FREE CHECKING, without such fees. It is clear, that the bank is engaged in such practices to victimized those who got stuck with TCF bank and are unable to open the account elsewhere. The fee is 10 dollars per month just to have the account open. TCF BANK also is fraudulent in charging online baking fees even though they advertise with adds online and in store stating "Totally free banking".
    This is deceptive and requires attorney's general investigation in the headquarters of the bank's state. I have tried to discuss this matter with many reps, who state that they are unable to make any changes to account - they are unable to reverse the account to being free and without fees as the original agreement stated. I do not have the agreement, who dates back almost 10 years, but I am pretty sure they did not include a clause stating that they could suddenly make changes to the account to start charging customers. They did not warn the customers in advance, thus, making it impossible to increase the account balance to the required 500.00 or more.

Comments

• Po
    pobarjenkins Jun 15, 2016

Maybe you are just at a bad branch? I don't usually bank with them but they have always been straight-forward with me.

• Tc
    TCF BANK IS FRAUD Jun 15, 2016

STAY AWAY! I was charged two 4.95 service fee for not keeping a minimum balance in my account when I was never told that this was the case. I was toldy by the Elmhurst branch located in JEWEL that there was no minimum balance only to be told by the location in McHenry that there is a certain balance. Leads me to beleive that the tellers of the bank are not being trained very well. To clear this up I deposited 800 dollars into the account only to find that I was charged another service fee. This bank is a fraud and really reminds me of the idea that if something is too good to be true in life it proably is. Take my recomendation and stay away!

• Bl
    bluefrog Jun 15, 2016

As I said, I saw no notice.

TCF has been doing this without notice. Since TCF was going to charge me to close the account, I kept it open, and it has been a no-fee account for over 25 years.

I frequently checked my statements, but didn't pay too much attention to them until seeing the collections notice for the unpaid fees, and the statement with a negative balance. I had actually thought someone had gained access to my account and was withdrawing funds.

I received no notice the unpaid fees would go to a collection agency. No notice that I was NSF.

• Bl
    bluefrog Jun 15, 2016

This crooked bank wanted to charge me to close my account, so I kept a small balance in it for years. My balance was 47¢.

Five months ago they changed my account so I would need a minimum balance to avoid a fee of $9. Their customer service said this notice was in the corner of one of my statements, but I have yet to find it.
    Yesterday I got a statement from them and a bill from a collections agency for the $64 they charged to my account in NSF fees. No separate notice was give for the NSF status of the account.

I HAD an 800 credit score, but this bank has ruined it.

So, yes I am following the little blurb that I did see on my last statement asking me to tell people about TCF Bank.

TCF Bank. Run!

• Za
    zaj Jun 15, 2016

I agree with Jed. They are counting on the fact that you assume if they show money is in your account it is really there. So if, for example, you check your balance and it says $200 and you then spend $170 you shouldn't be expecting a charge for $40 from a week ago to come through. I a better (trustyworthy) bank for which all transactions are always posted immediately at the time of the sale. TCF is inconsistent and charges huge fees. They have a terrible reputation and I've heard from an insider (a financial manager who worked for them as a consultant) that they make pretty much all of their profits from these fees. I just started using my TCF account again because I am waiting on a replacement money card from a bank I trust, but they will see very little activity from me when my card arrives.

• Je
    JedH43 Jun 15, 2016

The way the that they process youre payments from youre checking acount is very suspicious they hold off payment for extra days till youre account is getting low and then they process multiple check debit card transactions from three plus days ago, when theres plenty of money in the acount they process it that day they do this to create overdraft fees i know of three other people that say the same happens to them and they put paypal payments as paid when i checked the money wasnt transfered to paypal but they did so ahead of them selfs to charge overdraft.

• Ta
    taylorwyatt Jun 26, 2014

I cannot see my savings account anywhere in online banking. I JUST opened and checking and savings and all that shows up is my checking.
    fix this.

• Ei
    EILEEN LAMONT Dec 18, 2013

They did the same thing to me. I had 5 od fees for items that cleary were posted. I called and they said because it wasnt a bank error they can't reverse any fees. THEIVES. If they ran the charges in the chronological order there would of been no overdrafts. Now isn't Wells Fargo being sued over this? I think I may contact the Better Business Bureau.

• Ki
    Kirkpatrick Jul 02, 2013

They leave transactions and deposits pending in order to cause overdrafts, then charge $37.00 per transaction. I was charged over $500 for transactions that only occurred over a 2 day period. They prey on people and then refuse to help you while being rude and condescending. Stay away!!!

ANNOYINGWHINERS Jul 19, 2012

BALANCE YOUR CHECK BOOK, DONT SPEND MORE MONEY THAN YOU HAVE, EDUCATE YOURSELF ON WHAT THE POLICYS ARE BEFORE OPENING ACCOUNTS. YOU ALL LOOK PITTAFUL...PERSONALLY IF I EVER BOUNCE A CHECK I WOULD BE TOO EMBARRASED TO GO AND ASK FOR ANY FEES TO BE REIMBURSED, MUCH LESS TO FEEL THE NEED TO PUT MY IGNORANCE ON THE INTRANET FOR EVERYONE TO SEE.

ANNOYINGWHINERS Jul 19, 2012

BALANCE YOUR CHECK BOOK, OR EVEN BETTER EDUCATE YOURSELF ON WHAT YOU ARE OPENING. HOW EMBARASSING FOR YOU ALL TO HAVE TO AIR YOUR DIRTY LAUNDRY ONLINE BECAUSE YOU WERE A. IRRESPONISBLE AND DONT KNOW HOW TO BALANCE A CHECK BOOK(FYI YOU CANT SPEND MORE MONEY THAN YOU HAVE, IF YOU DO THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES) B. IGNORANT ON WHAT YOU WERE OPENING, NEWS FLASH IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILTY TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SIGNING UP FOR. READ YOUR PAPERWORK.

ANNOYINGWHINERS Jul 19, 2012

BALANCE YOUR CHECKBOOK. READ ALL THE DISCLOSURES GIVEN TO YOU! EDUCATE YOURSELF!

nona Perkins Jun 20, 2012

TCF Bank allowed 24 checks to be cashed against my account and says its a civil matter and I have bring charges against supect
    I signed signature card when I opened the acct Ive been a customer of theirs since 1991 never had a problem since now Im out all this money and they will not reimbuse me .
    never once did they check my signature on these checks . This is a nightmare, I have to file bankrupcy
    Nona Perkins

• Ti
    Tired of being stolen from Feb 15, 2012

I hate this bank! It is the worst bank ever. I am going to tell anyone I know who banks there to leave and go to another bank. there are plenty of more friendly banks out there that don't rip people off. How they are even in business is beyond reasoning. I hope they go out of business and it will become my mission to complain and voice my opinion about them to anyone and everyone that will listen. Why would anyone even work there? Good-bye TCF...I hope you close down one day. I will do waht I can to help that to come true.

• Un
    unhappy now former customer Dec 21, 2011

TCF changes their rules and does a piss poor job of communicating the rule changes to their customers in a bid to rack up fees. This bank is no better than you pickpocket thieves.

• Fj
    fjoseff1 Nov 15, 2011

Re: 4 days of ISF fees, even though cash deposit made to teller.

My account went insufficient on a Friday. I found out on Saturday, so I rushed before its 2pm to make a cash deposit directly to the bank teller, so this way I do not have to pay an ISF for Saturday (that would be usual operation in other banks). Instead, the cash payment made to the teller did not post until Monday, at which time I was charged 4 days of ISF fees, for Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I am being charged a fee for the days that the bank is closed during which time they had my money? So they do not process the deposit, yet they process the ISF continuously? That sounds like a catch 22 scandalist scam trap. I hate TCF (the customer first, my ###). I called the bank in attempt to reverse the fees, aside from that of the first day. The lady only accepted to remove one of the four fees, as standard courtesy (meaning regardless of the situation). I will be extra vigilant until I receive the 100$ opening bonus, not accumulating any fees and then close my account.

In the mean time, I have done some shopping around. Citi is reasonable in this regard. Better yet is Ally banking online. They do not have a physical branch to which a customer can go, but for most people, this would not be a problem. There is no minimum balance or minimum transactions needed per month. ISF fee is $12.50 per day (much more reasonable!).

• To
    TotallyCompledCustomer Oct 14, 2011

TCF customer = Totally ###ed Customer

• To
    TotallyCompledCustomer Oct 14, 2011

TCF = Totally f*** Costomers. TCF bank has stollen money from my account for the last few years now, so why did I stay with such a bank? Because TCF would not let me close my account and put me in checks and balances even though I had paid the money I was past due on my account. Today I log into my bank expecting to see a $1200 deposit of my work check only to find TCF had taken almost my entire paycheck with a 11 $28 fees for overdraft charges. I am closing my account this time if I have to get a lawyer to do it I will. I am also joing the class action suit that is against TCF for NSF fees. I too HAte this bank and I hope karma bites this bank in the ###.

• Ki
    KillerCupcake Sep 13, 2011

Denver, CO Any one interested in trying to get a class action lawsuit?

[email protected]

angiemad Jul 29, 2011

We are having that same problem right now we deposited a check and we had over 1200 in the account left for a camping weekend with the family came bank to know money and in the red by almost 400 that is so wrong the money was there and they took it all and i am so pissed and when i talked them they were rude and i can't stand people like that cause then i get even ruder back it was my money they had not reason to take and now i have no money to get my kids there school supplies

jade42 Jun 29, 2011

Maggie, your a condescending, insensitive ###. Didn't you read any of these posts clearly? It was TCF Bank that caused the NSF fees by withholding the money and not playing fair. Not the customer! What the ### are you on this thread anyway ###!!!

• Jd
    JDnPhx Jun 17, 2011

I've been banking with TCF in Arizona for over a year now. The service I receive has always been friendly and prompt. I recently had a situation where Express Scripts (a mail-order pharmacy) caused several NSF charges on my account, despite the fact that I had removed my account information from Express Scripts before placing the order.

After arguing with Express Scripts for almost a week, I finally went ahead and drove over to my TCF branch. I showed them the e-mail communications I'd had with Express Scripts, and TCF reversed the NSF charges without a second thought.

I've had prior NSFs with TCF, but guess what? It's because I wasn't keeping a check register. I've chatted with friends who bank with other institutions, and all of them agree: The majority of NSFs are account-holder caused, and can be completely avoided through keeping an accurate register; the remaining 5% are due to system glitches or problems, and thus far I've had no problems with the bank reversing them once it became clear they were incorrect.

• Yo
    YOHOBOTTLEOFRUMSKIES Jun 01, 2011

The overall lesson here is that it is not the bank's fault. First of all, keep a register of your transactions. An NSF is only received if the account is overdrawn which means the person used money they didn't have. Being that it is 2011, TCF as well as other banks had to give the customers an opportunity to opt-in or opt-out. The decision was regarding TCF's overdraft service which allows the usage of unavailable funds at the time of a purchase. People are sometimes thankful for this service because it has gotten them out of a jam before. For example, you buy groceries at the grocery store and when you get to the cashier for payment, your U.S. bank check card gets declined because there is no money available in the account (opt-out) However, if your opted-in to TCF's overdraft service, then the purchase may go through ultimately saving the customer some embarrassment. There are many irresponsible people who don't track their finances at all. If people would watch what they spend and have their account balanced and know how much is in the account, then overdrafts wouldn't happen. I read a sob story on here that involved a man that had two tragedies occur, then he got home and there was a $300 overdraft notice waiting for him. Yeah it sucks that he had the 2 tragedies, but dude watch what you spend and you won't have overdrafts. PROBLEM SOLVED. PEOPLE NEED TO KEEP TRACK OF THEIR FINANCES FIRST AND FOREMOST, AND OWN UP TO THEIR ACTIONS. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY $35 PER ITEM THAT DRAWS YOUR ACCOUNT NEGATIVE THAT'S GREAT, BUT IT IS MORE THEN ATTAINABLE TO NOT GET AN OVERDRAFT. AND MOVING BANKS WONT SOLVE THESE PEOPLE'S PROBLEMS. IT'LL JUST CREATE ANOTHER CUSTOMER/BUSINESS STRAINED RELATIONSHIP. LEADING TO MORE OVERDRAFTS AND ###.

Samantha1023 May 04, 2011

I completely agree with everyone, the customer service was horrible when I asked about my NSF fees they explained you have to transfer money that very day you were charged even though they don't post the fee until the next day (aka when I got paid!) I talked to 2 separate women who were so inflexible. Then I talked to many other people and honestly nearly ALL OF THEM had something to complain about TCF.

I plan on writing a nasty letter to corporate in home state, this woman I talked to on the phone was actually very nice and changed it for me now I won't get any NSF chargers, my card will just reject at the transaction which is fine by me!

• Ru
    RunsWithScissors Apr 29, 2011

OMG! I am so fed up with these idiots! They are charging my son about $280 in fees for overdrafts when his account on line indicated he had a positive balance! So, they are up to no good, and I'm already moving accounts to another bank...we have four accounts with TCF, and they are ok with losing those accounts for his $280 and another $200 for my husband's account where they did the same thing. Just wait, TCF, your number will be up as soon as the Fed gets all of our complaints!!!
    COMPLAIN, COMPADRES, COMPLAIN!!!
    If you have a complaint about TCF, you can go here to the OCC and file online: http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/
    AND REPOST THE WEB ADDRESS ABOVE EVERY CHANCE YOU GET, TO HELP OTHERS WHO GET SUCKERED LIKE WE DID!!!

• Th
    TheDude85281 Apr 18, 2011

I was trying to transder money from my savings to checking, I found my savings account is closed? I didnt close it I had more than $3000 in my savings... What is going on?

• Ba
    bank customer Apr 05, 2011

What annoys me the most is that they will keep a cash deposit pending. Are they waiting for the $20 bill to clear? That has been an issue several times and I have received an NSF. Say all that you want about people not balancing their checkbooks, but there are several practices by this bank that are misleading and unethical. And for those of us who are living paycheck to paycheck these practices are most detrimental. Also, I wouldn't be so quick to judge, I am sure that there are many that could avoid the NSF fees with a little attention, but there are many others who have made a mistake and the consequences have been unfair.

Maythe Truth Mar 29, 2011

TCF is a horrible bank! Those NFS are ridiculous! I am constantly checking my balance, and its NEVEr been accurate! I go to the branch to ask for a print out of my pending, posted transactions and even so, they DO NOT show all pending transaction! I've made this mistake time and time again (I check my balance and let's say its $11.50) I do not use my card for a week or two and I might decide to eat out for lunch that day) use $7, but then for some reason, the charge something on my acct, from a 3 or 4 weeks ago, so if las week I went to the store n used $5 and $20 over her, that's how I keep getting my NSF fees! [censor]! And I've gone to the ONLY brabch in (Elgin, IL) and asked to speak to the manager because I asume a MANAGER can waive a fee or two, however this 'woman' Brenda Estrralla was very rude, she came out of her office with this attitude, "wow" that's all I could say, and there were two other tellers who had a staring problem, anyway, long story short, she refuse to waive a fee, so I ended up calling the 800 telling them that I will pay this $200 NSF charge that I was unaware off, but I was gonna close my acct, however if she could waive a fee, I would not close my acct, so she waived one fee, and the tellers the whole time, kept giving me these looks! I was so mad! Gosh, I wish this was my only bad experiance but sadly its not!!...-ts just the most recent one. People if you do not want to end up broke, close your TCF accounts today! And don't give in to those $25 credit on those new account, or you"ll regret it!!!

• Tc
    tcfhater Mar 24, 2011

I got a letter in the mail yesterday that they are freezing my command credit line. Not really a big deal as I haven't used it since I got it 3 years ago. However, it seemed strange so I called the number on the letter. BIG mistake! I was treated like a deadbeat BEFORE I even gave her my name or account number! She said that usually they freeze command lines for default over over usage. I tried to explain that I haven't used and certainly have not abused it. She said that there is no way they would close a zero balance account. I again told her that there was zero balance. She flat out told me there was no way this could be true. She finally asked for my account number and agreed that my balance was zero. Here is the terrible part: She said that my account is frozen based on the declined appraisal value of my house. Understandable considering the economy. Here's the kicker: she said that I would be able to close this command line and reapply for a new one. However, I would have to pay $375.00 for a new appraisal. Really? Didn't she just say that my old one was froze based on the declining appraisal of my home? How can they freeze my account if they actually don't know the appraisal value. Seems to me like a scam to get another $375.00 out of me. I asked her to call me back to discuss this further and now she and another gentlemen refuse to answer my calls. It's no wonder how many negative posts there are out there. I was a loyal customer for 13 years. I will now be going to Wells Fargo and I'm writing the BBB. Beware!!! There is something shady going on there.

• Worst bank ever. They lie, steal and cheat, its like the mafia opened a bank in America, only I think the mafia has common courtesy.

ChicagoRene Mar 05, 2011

I was also scammed by TCF Bank if anyone knows about a class action opened against TCF email me please [email protected]

Jodella2011 Feb 03, 2011

TCF received 80 million dollars last year in overdraft fee charges. I have had this account for many years and was happy with TCF until I got divorced. Since my income has shrunk considerably I teeter on the edge from month to month trying to make ends meet. Despite meager earnings, I own a home and car. I pay bills online according to monthly direct deposits. Every once and awhile, TCF deems it necessary to pay bills early, when I do not have funds available, which in turn causes a domino effect of overdraft charges. If you catch this happening, one previously was allowed to print the statement online, so you could prove what deposit and purchases where done at the exact time, which is no longer possible. If you watch your bank statement, they move and change the withdrawals around like a bag of bingo chips. This of course benefits them and YOU, will have no proof of their scam. I suppose I could take pictures of the online game of jumble, but would have to do so daily and then some!

Tellers claim, they can pay bills when they need to and not on the days requested. If you receive some credit back from them, you can not receive more credit within a 6 month time period. Hence. I was charged over 300$ in one weeks time. Bills were paid early, by them, purchases by me where not covered from 4 days previous to this event and they somehow THINK this is good customer service. Are you kidding me? This is illegal and unethical. TCF is in the process of being sued and I look forward to the outcome.

My advice...do NOT get an account with TCF and tell all of your friends as well. I have lost a lot of money from a bank I once trusted, who I thought was a bank of integrity. This is no longer the case.

• Co
    Compl12347 Jan 23, 2011

I have been a customer of TCF for all of 1 month and they have [censor]ed me out of almost 200$. Choosing this bank could have been one of my worst decisions ever!

• It
    its not important Dec 30, 2010

THEY ALLL ARE [censor] thats all. [censor] THEM ALL FROM EVERY POINT. Such a creepy keep calling for Opt-In i told them many times not to call me but they idiots does not want to put it in their systerm. They want every one to opt-in so as soon you go negative they will start to charge you fees such an [censor] hole.

• It
    its not important Dec 30, 2010

TCF is simply fraudulant institution i have ever bank with. They try to clear the largest amount first then small amount in order to charge you extra fees and when you go to them get it waived they always give you hard time and look at your account like something happend to your account or you feel yourself standing there like you are an idiot. I JUST HATE TCF and want to tell others not to bank with TCF ever. SUCH A CHEAP BANK with cheap ATM and Cheap attitude. every time you go to Jewel they always come after you to beg for the accounts but when you are stuck there they want you to beg to withdrawal your own money. Idiots.

• Da
    DarkNightRD Dec 15, 2010

join boycott tcf bank on facebook, state your complaint and let them know how you feel

• Xm
    xmonasdasdasdasd Dec 06, 2010

and to amy gibbons, walmart and check cashing places will gash government checks, payroll checks and tax returns, for 5 dollars, which is nothing compared to what your bank account is raping you for.

im sure your land lord would accept a money order from western union, which you can buy at kroger for 50 cents, equally as much as a check, if you have a mortgage, ask them where you can mail a check every month and mail a money order,

It seems to me that the bank took your Christmas, but for all of you if you think about it, its because you let them, you allowed them control over your money, take control back, buy a small safe, put it in your closet and save! maybe you can use some of that savings for a little gun, if anyone comes after your money, you kill them. <-- this IS the REAL American way!, you may not like it, but thats what this country was founded on.

in Arizona you can still read the law that allows you to hang someone for trying to steal your horse.

if the banks fail because the American public turns their backs on them, no congressman would dare approve a bailout, as it would surely be suicide for their career.

• Xm
    xmonasdasdasdasd Dec 06, 2010

and why does this website make weired symbols and stuff in the place of apostrophys?