Sprintadditional fee

I opened two mobile numbers with Sprint in November 2009. The first line I understood it was a two year contract and with that new line I received a equipment discount for a BB phone. The second I provided the phone and was told by the Sprint sales person that if I chose to purchase a new phone during the contract period I would still be eligible for the discount. That was good news since I did not know if the phone I provided would last two years. I received a letter from Sprint in December 09 just two months later with news of a fee that would be added to my account $4.99 monthly because my account is in their ASL Account Spending Limit program. The fee however will be waived if I allow them to automatically debit my checking account for the monthly service.
I called their customer service and spoke to two supervisors after going on and on with the customer representative who was not knowledgeable. It turns out that the fee only applies to the ASL customer (not explained when I opened the account) Discrimination?
I think so... Also that equipment discount for my second line... LOST! The sales person was apparently wrong. If I purchase a new phone for that line it will extend the contract date 2 years from the date of purchase. On the front end the Sprint store and customer service was pleasant to deal with and helpful. After the 30 days trial period expired that friendlyness and will to service the customer evaporated. I am disapointed with their customer service, added fees, and cell coverage. I hope to to get to someone at Sprint that can actually resolve my complaint to my stratification.

• Sd
    sdegroff Aug 22, 2006

After accepting service with sprint over two years ago, I became completely disenchanted with their customer service. I was never sent the promised rebate on the phone I purchased. A couple months later, I added another phone and line for my son. Every time I called about anything there was always very much confusion and none of the representatives could ever find any notation left by the last customer service rep that had answered my calls. After about three months, I was determined to ride out my two year contract then change services.

In mid May I called to find out when my contract expired and after getting no human response I pushed the number that would allow me to use the "automated response". What I wanted to know was exactly when my contract expired. The verbal robot told me that it expired on July 2008. This incensed me as I knew I had not renewed my contract. I tried unsuccessfully for three days to get a real live person on the phone. Finally when I did, I complained clearly and loudly that I had not renewed my contract and would not be renewing my contract. The clerk acknowledged that no, I had not elected to renew and that the July 2006 expiration would still apply. Within the next few days, in checking my post office box, I found little sprint messages that almost looked like advertisements informing me that my phone contract ended in July 2008. Feeling I had settled this matter earlier in the week on the phone, I laughed at the absurdity of their manipulative tactics. Here is the most irritating and indefensible part of my complaint, after I changed to another phone service my bill showed two $150.00 charges for early contract termination. I called and after spending over an hour on the phone and speaking to four people (all adept at handling this kind of "problem" ensuring that the customer is intimidated into submission of the fees), I was told that I had renewed in April on their automated phone service. I told the clerk I most certainly had not renewed with them and that I was told in June that my contract ended in July.They told me that it was right there in "the notes". I told her that I'd like to see those notes or her a recording of them. She told me she couldn't provide that. I asked the clerk if she saw the notes in which the customer service rep told me that despite the information given to me by the automated recording my contract would end in July. She finally said, yes, she did see it, but only on one phone. She would remove that fee but not the other one. I told her that when I called about the account I called about both numbers. She said the termination fee will stand and it is legitimate. I told her that I would rather pay $400 in legal fees than to pay Sprint $300 for termination of a bogus contract they had attributed to me. The clerk said, if you don't pay it you will be charged a late fee. Finally, I gave up, and out of fear of my credit being affected I considered paying the $150.00 fee. But, I am resolute in fighting this anyway I can, even if it just means publicizing their lousy dishonest business practices. Final recompense for their regretable business transaction with me would conclude with a credit to my account of both $150.00 termination of contract fees.

• Jd
    JD Nov 17, 2006

Sprint mobile phone plans

I bought my 2-line plan in August 2005 and added a third line shortly after. I have moved twice and hence changed the numbers. Their billing system has made 12 or more errors in the year since then.

1. First, "taxes and surcharges and government mandated fees" (fees in
    short) should be based on the billing address and sprint accepts that. In my case they have added fees for the county I purchased the plan and my billing address. Then every time I moved they added these fees for the new location without removing the old ones. As they don't give detailed calculations for these fees and moving from one "Orange" county to another "Orange" county, I didn't notice this error until the fees began to top $25 every month. Once I informed them (in April 2006) they send me around for about 4 months. (25+ emails and about the same number of phone calls. Promises to fix the problem, promises to call back, please contact that department, etc.) The last guy I talked to first offered to refund $25 despite I have been overcharged $10-15 for 7 months. After another 10mins of talking he told me that the max he can give me is $34. By that time I was sick of this issue and accepted it. Sprint stand is that according to the contract they do not make refunds for errors older than 2 months. They were never apologetic of making the errors and on few times tried to deceive me that there is no problem at all. Also they don't accept anything in e-mail and want you to call, probably because they don't want any evidence. 2. Apart from this, Since February 2006, there has been 5 unrelated billing errors, each time overcharging me about $5-$10. Add a line charge when no line was added, extra $5 for one line for no reason, minutes on one line being counted outside the plan, list goes on. Every time I call the girls first try to tell some story and convince me that there is no problem. After I hammer in the point, put me on hold for a while and later credit the amount back to me. Sometimes they try to sell something extra at the same time. Last couple of times I asked if they give any extra credit back when they make repeated mistakes as customers have to spend lots of time - no luck there. Basically I have been doing their billing calculations for few months. For the number of hours I have spent checking and getting things corrected I should get a fair compensation I think.

Another thing that I keep pondering is how all these "mistakes" (6 separate type of errors) happen to benefited Sprint and never me.

Renu Prinja Dec 01, 2006

I called sprint to ask if my 2yr agreement had ended and was told by a customer representative that it had. I then went to Verizon. I have been on the phone for several hours with a sprint reprentative who has not been able to get any records of my phone conversations except notes from a representative that I had inquired about phones. And now they state I had two months before my contract was suppose to end I received a bill from Sprint stating that I need to pay a cancellation charge of $600. I am very disappointed with the service I received from sprint and their dishonest customer service information. I just want people to know that they should make note of every Sprint call they make to their representatives because they will not give the customer the benefit of the doubt.

And they are very selective about what they chose to make notes on.

• Valerie Dec 08, 2006

I had been with Sprint for 6 months when my daughters cell phone fell into the pool. Trying to replace it (yes, buy a new one!) has been a nightmare.

Since I hadn't been with them for a yr, I wasn't entitled to ANY discounts and only phones to buy are $200+. (funny, the cheapy free phone I was given when I signed on is "not available anymore-huh?) You're told one thing via the phone, another thing in person at store. They dont care one bit about customer service AFTER the sale, they're ONLY interested in signing up new customers. . Was told by a Radio Shack mgr, "try buying one on Ebay" So i did, now Sprint is telling me I now have to wait another year to receive a "discount" on replacement phone. Can i purchase a new line with existing contract, get a new phone? Nope. Can I buy a used phone thru you? Nope. Ask in store employee for suggestions? His answer " you should have bought replacement insurance". Thanks for the help. Terrible company, even worse customer service.

• Ak
    akv Dec 11, 2006

Never call sprint pcs service desk as they will renew your contract without telling you. They will tell that a discount is being applied to your service and will send a mail which will look like an advertisement. So please ensure to read the mails which looks like advertisement and ensure to call them and cancel the change so that you will not be duped into a contract.

• Lu
    Lumpy Dec 15, 2006

Changed phones from nextel to sprint, nextel service was ok, in order to have bluetooth. this was done in Atlanta Ga.to accommodate a new auto hands free use. I was assured that i would have the same coverage at my home in Fl. that was provided by nextel, this sounded reasonable. However when I returned home I found sprint service unavailable in my neighborhood although Cingular service was excellent. I spoke to customer service at Sprint and was passed thru to other depts. and finally was assured that the penalty would be waived. Nextel and Sprint advertise as one co. so my presumption of same service was reasonable

• Er
    Erica E Dec 17, 2006

I do not know what scam is going on between Wirefly and Sprint. I ordered through Sprint's Employee Referral program and they are telling me I ordered through Wirefly.com I had never heard of Wirefly.com until Sprint mentioned it to me. The reason I contacted Sprint about my account is that I noticed that there has been an $8 charge for 500 text messages package for the last few months. I never ever signed up for this... I only use one or two text messages a month, I don't need 500. Sprint says that Wirefly added this service to my account and I have to take it up with them since I purchased through them. Well I did NOT purchase at wirefly.com and they added these 500 text message package without my permission. It is not noted on a single one of my invoices, but magically appears hidden in my first statement. It took me a long time to notice this additional charge because they hid it on page 4 of my statement.. shouldn't basic charges be on the first page under Your Sprint Bill ?

• Valerie Jan 18, 2007

During my 2 years of service with sprint pcs, I was told that the only way for me to make payments to my account was to go to a sprint center or mail a check. I tried to change this so I might make payments on-line or over the phone. The company's customer service REP. told me this was impossible. When my contract expired I switched to Verizon. This morning I checked my bank account and found that sprint has withdrawn over 200 dollars from my account WITHOUT MY AUTHORIZATION. Is this illegal? I would like to know.

• Valerie Feb 01, 2007

I have been a Sprint customer since 2001. The last few weeks I have begun to receive telemarketing phone calls to my cell phone from Sprint.

When I answer the call, it asks me if I would like to hear about new offers or promotions, press whatever number, etc. These calls are received during the day, thus using up my "anytime minutes". Today I received 2 calls, and this comes after I contacted customer care and requested my name be removed from their call list. In the past 5 days I have received 5 calls.

I have been signed up on the "Do Not Call" registry since 2003, and this is the only telemarketing call I've received since that time! When I have spoken with the customer care rep, they have been apologetic and given me "free anytime minutes". The number that I'm receiving calls from is: 866-463-3020. It is an automated call, and I'm not sure if you will ever get to a real human being, or not? I filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and am told they will pass this information along to the department that enforces the law on this.

My contract is due to expire in December, and I intend to seek wireless service from a competitor. Since Sprint merged with Nextel, I have found they are very inflexible, and SOME of their customer care reps are not trained as efficiently as in the years prior to the merger! I've heard they are laying off employees. So, I would imagine customer service call-ins will suffer.

• Un
    Unhappy in Michigan Feb 02, 2007

Sprint's terrible customer service. One guy lied to me and said he could not block text messages on my phone. Then his supervisor , transfered me, then tech dept trans me, then billing transfered me to business, then business promised me some credits. then my bill had charges on it instead of credits. Plus the technical dept could not help me, they put a block on text messages and I still get personal messages. Plus I was told your company can not stop the advertisement text messages, but the reply button for the ads DO NOT WORK!!!! I can not stop the charges from reaccruing on our bill !! Every time I call customer service I get someone who can't fix the customer service issues. I don't have access to email at home and it gets blocked at work. One lady told me I couldn't get a credit for a game that didn't work with out internet service ! This is the worst cell phone service I have ever had (customer service and phone service).
    plus when we got our phones , the 2 phones they sent in the mail NEVER worked properly, the fully charged battery only lasts 1/2 a day .so if you work full time do not count on your phone working. Plus, the phone doesn't ring and goes straight to voicemail ALL the time on mine and my husbands calls. The phone will be sitting on the charger and no ring. Someone will call my home number and ask why I did not answer. The voicemail is delayed 1/2 a day to 1 day. I wanted sprint's customer service to send us 2 new phones that actually work since they never worked from the start of service. Then I could send back the ones that don't work right. But they kept telling me I have to go to the sprint store to ACTUALLY get our cell phones working properly ! One sprint worker told me you can only charge your phone for 3 hours or the battery will not work if you charge it to long. Do you have time to send alarm clocks for your cell phone? If you don't then don't get a sprint phone.

I have more complaints but I got other things I need to do now.

• Co
    Colleen G Feb 02, 2007

I started with Sprint September 2002 and the customer service has been horrible since they merged with Nextel. Currently, I'm being telemarked twice a day by Sprint 866-463-3020. I have called Sprint numerous times to get the telemarketing to cease. The people who answer the phone are ineffective, and unaccountable. It will cost me $200 to get out of my current contract, which I never would have renewed had I known about the telemarketing.

• Valerie Feb 09, 2007

I spent 6 months attempting to correct fraudulent billing issues upon cancellation of my Sprint long distance service in November of 2005.

I was so frustrated with misinformation and their inability to resolve my issues I cancelled two home phones and one cell phone with nearly a $200 credit they refused to credit despite multiple clear statements to the contrary. Imagine my surprise when two years later I receive a "Welcome to Sprint" notice in my mail. Believe me I would walk to a pay phone before I would ever subscribe to Sprint. I immediately called only to receive the same conflicting information I was accustomed to receiving from Sprint. One person told me I had been a customer that entire without year time but could not explain why I had received no bills but had no balance prior to that day, the other insisted I had just activated the service the prior month. (I had made no changes to my phone service since cancelling Sprint two years prior, in fact I had a block on my phone to prevent them being added). One Sprint representative even insisted the block was to maintain Sprint as my long distance carrier and I could not have them removed ever. Wrong answer. After more frustrating conversations I was assured by both my local phone service as well as Sprint that I had no active account with Sprint. February 8, 2007, two years and three months after initially cancelling Sprint service with a significant credit balance I was never able to receive refund for I receive yet another BILL from Sprint. Sprint is worse than AOL in their inability to resolve their mistakes and permit cancellation of service. It is like a fungus that won't go away, no matter how many times you eliminate it, it just keeps coming back. I hope to post an update that I do not receive further bills but my experience with Sprint tells me that will not be forthcoming.

Matt Hamilt Feb 11, 2007

This exact same thing happened to me, but I never called Sprint. I knew I was moving in a few months but wasn't worried because my contract was up then. I get a letter a few weeks later stating my contract was renewed for another 2 years and if I canceled it, I was out $200.

What a company...

• Su
    Sue Hwang Feb 16, 2007

I made a contract with Sprint on Feb 2005 for a family plan with 2 phones for next two years - I am not sure the exact amount but it was under $90/month plan. The bill never stayed at this amount and every months I've been paying a way over one hundred dollars. Because this reason, I talked to someone in their retail store (Seattle Downtown)to help me so I wouldn't ended up paying so much.

Anyway, make a long story short, I took their advice from the store and add to more minutes in my cell phones (that's what I thought but found out yesterday that they did only with one phone and not only that, after the change, I was ended up with two different plans - and paying two different plans instead of one every months. I was tried to save money on monthly billing but I ended up paying more. I was paying around $125 max on my original plan but since they change to the new one, I've been paying anywhere $200-$300 each month.

Including bad reception and their terrible services, I've been waiting a long time for this contract to be ended and finally this year February is the expiration date - I couldn't hardly wait to get out. But my happy thought was destroy yesterday. I found out something I had no idea about until yesterday when I was on the phone with Sprint. I found out when they put me into an another plan, I didn't know they were extending one phone (only one) for the contract year to the next year, 2008. And, they put me in two different phone plans for the original share plan - they keep me one phone for the original plan and the other phone for a new plan.

I've never authorized to have two different plans. The worst of all, when they changed the plan to other phone, they also extended the contract date to the next year (one year from this date). So now exactly I have two different contract. They said two plans but actually if one ends this year and another ends in the next, it is two contract which I have never authorize to do that.

The result of this: I have been paying more because I had to pay two plans instead of one share plan - I've been paying anywhere between $200-$300 every month instead of I would of paying around $120 max with the original plan. And, since they locked one phone till the next year I won't able to get out unless paying the penalties.

I spent already so much time trying to resolve this issue with them on the phone, but they were insisted either I stay with their plan or I will get the penalties (one that expire in the next year). I am getting out early from work to find somebody in their store today to find a way to settle this issue, but I don't see it's going to be easy. I already spent so much time on this and am very frustrated. It angers me because I don't see much of fairness in their business practice and there is no one there to really want to take care the issue.

If there is any mistaken in my part would be I trusted their customer service (or sale's rep) and taken an advice when I was looking for a way to save and not get over charged.

They told me yesterday that when you change your plan, you are extended your contract date to one more year - no body told me this before - it was the very first time I heard; it seems they make up their own policies as you go without telling customer about it at up front. It seems, either way goes, I would be damaged: I would either spend so much time and energy on this to correct the issue or I would ended up paying the penalties or if not paying the penalties I would get a bad credit reports and am afraid I do not have much time dealing with these kind of problems. The worst way to run a business!!

• Je
    Jessica Darnell Feb 20, 2007

I recently cancelled my subscription from sprint. I have yet to receive a bill to close my account that i have had for 5 years never had any problems till now our phones were turned off twice in the same week after a payment was made now they say we owe 400.00 dollars but we haven't received a bill for no one can explain to us why our bill is so high. We will take this to court because i have good credit and i intend to keep it that way and i don't plan to pay for something that i haven't used. Thank you for taking the time to read my email.

• Br
    Brian M. Apr 20, 2007

Sprint - Florence, SC

This is a copy of a letter which I sent to the Sprint Corporate Office. The phone number I found for them is 913-794-0000.

As time passes by, we appear to become more dependent on the latest technology.

I am one of these fools who depends on his cell phone/email/PDA.

I have three personal lines and a number of business lines with Sprint.

In January of 2007 I upgraded to the Treo 700WX. From the moment I opened it I experienced problems.

* Network connection continuously failed.
    * ActiveSync would not connect to my Exchange 2003 Server

I started out by going to the local store for help. They were unable to find an answer. I was instructed to call tech support at Sprint or I could try Palm’s tech support.

Neither was able to help.

Eventually I found the trick to get the Treo to sync. Where the fault lied is unexplainable still.

From there I continued to have numerous problems that apparently graduated from one to another.

* ‘BlueTooth enable’ would automatically deactivate itself.
    * Not a matter of repairing the device but having to place the tick mark back on the ‘Turn On Bluetooth’ location. The Bluetooth headset I know works without a problem with my office phone, so I can’t blame the headset. The Bluetooth connection was so untrustworthy, it became routine for me to call my voicemail prior to making the intended call. Many times this would lead to numerous calls to my voicemail due to troubles. I’m sure this is all notated in my call log on the sprint system.
    * Occasionally the buttons would not lock. I had the keyguard set to enable when power is turned off. I would hit the power button and it appeared to turn off but it didn’t. I would discover that the tick mark on this also disappeared.
    * The phone would go into Roaming within the Sprint peak locations. The only way to get out of roam was to pull out the battery. This happened in the sprint store and still they refused to find that the problem was with the phone.
    * Phone calls would mute. This could happen right from the start of a call or during a conversation; my voice would mute and the caller was unable to hear me, yet I was able to hear them.
    * Phone would freeze during a call (and sometimes reboot itself).
    * To reboot – pull battery
    * Headphone jack did not work. I received volume through only one side and I was unable to use the mic with a stereo headset/mic.

Sprint techs did offer to trade the phone out for a refurbished phone but being this was a brand new $650.00 phone that was defective right out of the box, I refused to accept a refurbished model. They suggested I go to my insurance company but that was going to cost me another $50.00 which again was not acceptable to me (my phone was defective, not broken. Insurance is there for when I break, lose, or the phone is possibly stolen).

After maybe 3 months of complaining with the Sprint store and the Sprint tech’s they decided to get me a brand new phone. This process took 2 weeks. The day it was supposed to be in, I expected a phone call whereas I received nothing. I called for information. I then was told the data was entered wrong and I needed to give them the ESN number again from my phone. The next date I expected the phone to be in I had to call again to find it still was not there.

Finally when I did receive the “NEW” phone, I made one test call that lasted for 10seconds and left the sight. Within the next 30 minutes I noticed no activity only to find the phone was off. Hitting the power button 3-4 times it booted up (not turned on).

Confused, I let it go to find another hour down the road I attempted to make a call and the phone was now turned off. During that conversation the call was disconnected. I could not call back. Eventually I received a return call. This lasted for maybe 30 seconds.

I immediately turned around to take the phone back. The tech shop was closed so I went to the Sprint store. This phone was not new. It was a refurbished phone and I was lied to!

Now the Sprint store tells me that they are no longer responsible for this phone since it was swapped out by the tech store. Apparently it is a third party store with a Sprint sign out front. I now question why I was not informed of this when I was originally sent to the store for technical help.

My experienced problems with the new phone were:

* Phone reboot by itself
    * Phone disabled itself
    * Could not make calls

* It would attempt to dial
    * Error: connection failure

* Freeze up
    * Screen would flash

I spent two hours in the Sprint store that night. They could not get this phone to work at all. They would not swap it out. They could not sell me a phone at cost. Because of their new “updated” policies I was stuck without any contact.

That night I called customer support and spent at least an hour on the phone with Stephanie. I was promised action first thing in the morning. She was supposed to contact the Sprint store and the Tech shop and make arrangements to get this matter solved. As the day progressed I received no update call.

I attempted to get back in touch with Stephanie but failed. I was cut off 3 times from customer support. I then tried to call the local store and again was turned down for help.

At this point I went back to the tech shop. I discovered that Stephanie had never attempted to help me that morning. Neither location was contacted by anyone other than me regarding this issue. Since no one was able to help me with getting a working phone I suggested a renewed contract on one of my lines, allowing me to purchase a phone at minimal cost and putting this new phone on my direct line. The agreement was accepted and I went to the Sprint store to follow through with this process. When I arrived, I then was informed that they were unable to follow through with this due to the manager not being available. No manager because he is on vacation! No assistant manager! On one to make managerial decisions! This is a great way to run a store! I asked for someone to contact the district manager only to be informed that this was not possible. Customer support was the only answer. Again!

Customer support only assured me that a new phone was being sent to me and they would credit my account $25.00 for my troubles. Personally, this was a slap in the face at this time. Quite simply, a phone could have been removed from inventory and placed in my possession. When the “well assured” new phone arrived it could be replaced back into the local inventory. It’s not like this is not possible! It was just too much trouble for someone to go through to help out a fellow long time customer. Apparently it’s not important to try and keep the long time, big spending customers happy.

The reason I am a long time customer of Sprint is because in the past, when I had a problem, the local store would take care of me. Now that Sprint policies are “updated” I find it hard to consider staying with them. I need onsite local help.

I will be calling Verizon this week to see what they can offer me for contracts and whether their technical support is local or not.

What’s really ironic is that a sprint salesman called me this morning to see what he could sell me. I found it hard not to laugh. Thank you for the morning laugh! I really needed it!

• Li
    Lisa York Apr 28, 2007

I have been with sprint for 4 years and until recently i really was quite satisfied. I purchased a new phone in feb. Of this year and was swindled into buying a red razor because it was buy one get one free. I was not supposed to be paying but 10.00 more for the 2nd line with a renewed contract for 2 lines. My normal bill was never more than 110.00 dollars. Imagine my surprise when i received a new bill for 555.45. I felt as if i had been raped by a cell phone company. When i called the tech at customer service could as she said only reduce it by 50.00 and needless to say by the time i got this first bill my free time to change my mind deadline had past. So if you don't have sprint don't get it they are a rip off.

• De
    DeP May 08, 2007

Get a life and ready what you are singing up for before you click SUBMIT.

It is clearly stated in the TOS who the firm is that manages the SERO program.

• Fr
    Fredereick Stocker May 23, 2007

Had I known the poor quality of Sprint Tech Support, I'd have never signed with this rip-off company.

• Ed
    Edna Neal May 24, 2007

At least you were told that you would have to pay $200.00 to get out of your contract. I was told that I would have to pay $200.00 per phone.

• On
    onis baize Jun 12, 2007

I have been with sprint since 2002. I got hybrid phone and was switched to nextel. They sent 2 phones. Wrong ones with wrong sims card wrong phone numbers to the wrong place. No one could call me. Got phones on fri the 9th of june. Called sprint and nextel talked to 18 different people 3 supervisors and still could not use phones. Lost business from fri to mon. pm 18hrs later of phone calls and 2 nextel siores later it tool one great tech. Support guy 20 min. To fix problem thx jake. Lost alot of faith from customers and sprint wants to make it right. They offered me 200 free minutes. Wow put on hold ignored lied to false promises/ i want to talk to someone to fix this. Unsatisfied customer!!!

• Mi
    mike pule Jun 29, 2007

On may 22nd 2007 I called Sprint PCS to inquire if I qualified for new cell phones yet. I have been loyal customers since 2002. At that time I was told if I renewed to a new 2 yr contract I would be eligible for two new phones (one per each line I have) so I agreed even though my original contract would not be up till later in the year. Well, I did receive the confirmation letter from them outlining the details but NO MENTION OF ANY NEW PHONES! Well, after many attempts to order this by the WWW and by phone (never being connected to a CS Rep after waiting 30 minutes at a time) I decided to walk in to a Radio Shack to pick my new phones. I was informed there was no such "agreement" on file. Upset as I was we called Sprint right then and their and the young lady, Jennifer, stated "'NO MAAM' ... THERE IS NOTHING STATING THIS AND THE SUPERVISOR WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCOMMODATE YOU EITHER!!! " So, what next! Another 2 yrs of dissatisfaction...?

• Vi
    Vivek Bhatnagar Jul 14, 2007

I have been billed for chat room messages which I did not initiate. I spoke with Customer Solution Specialist Dematra on 07/14/2007 at 12:30 pm EDT and she told me that some of these messages were sent out from my phone. I DID NOT SEND OUT ANY MESSAGES TO ANY CHAT ROOM. All the messages were incoming and I never responded to these messages. Finally I got so bogged down from these messages that I requested Sprint to cancel text messaging service. There is no way to block these messages and now I will end up paying for these unwanted messages. I am thoroughly disappointed with Sprint after being their customer for 7 years.

• Vi
    Vivek Bhatnagar Jul 22, 2007

This complaint has finally been resolved to my satisfaction on July 22, 2007. Sprint is a good company. I have had a few issues over my 7 years of subscription, but each and every issue has been resolved fairly. I have no reservations in recommending Sprint Service.

Anthony Burkhead Jul 30, 2007

I have been a Nextel customer for 1 year and have not really had any problems with my phone or service outside of normal dropped calls which is expected. I recently added on the Wireless Broadband card for my laptop PC. The card is through Sprint. I received the card and installed it on my computer. In order to use the card I had to call the customer number on the manual and activate the card. The card looked like it was a little bent but it seemed to work. I mentioned that to the rep when I called. Well, this is where it all started. I got transferred to 12 people over the course of 2 hours just to get my card activated. Finally, the last person I spoke to activated my card in less than 30 seconds.

The card has been giving me problems, it works, it doesn't work. I called Sprint numerous times and got shuffled around from person to person, I even got transferred to International Sprint! I finally gave up calling because I have to work for a living and didn't have time to wait on the phone for 2 hours every day. A few days go by and I am now outside of my 30 day period (by 3 days). I was not asked or told that my current insurance didn't cover the card when I purchased it. I walked into a local Sprint store and talked to the manager who couldn't help me because I bought the card through tele-sales. The manager then jumps on the phone and he gets transferred around for an hour and a half!! He finally had enough and got a hold of someone that could help. He then came back with 2 toll free numbers for me to call. He said that they will be able to send me an email with a "code" and for me to bring that code back to the store and they can do the exchange no cost. If for some reason I continue to have problems then I would need to take a drive to the Sprint Corporate office in Kalamazoo, MI (45 minute drive). So I get out of work and call the number. Start speaking to a gentleman and explained the whole situation and what I have experienced. He now tells me that he can't do anything because I am outside of my 30 days (by 3 days). He then says I will not transfer you but I am going to put you on hold and I am going to make the calls for you to get this resolved. I then talk to a lady in Account Management. She said they are crediting me $150.00 to my account, sending a return print form for FedEx and they are sending me a new wireless card. I am also told I will be credited $50 when the old card is returned to them. This seems to have resolved my problem after paying $133.08 for a new card!!! We will see if my account is accurate in the next month or if I have to spend another 94minutes and 12 seconds on the phone with them.

I feel now that if I have any more problems I will have to call the corporate number or take legal action with Pre-Paid Legal Services. The way they treat their customers is absolutely horrible and very exhausting. Once my contract is up I will be ditching this company for a new provider or may just end up dumping them all together and fighting a $400 early termination fee which absolutely ridiculous!!

Anthony Burkhead
    Grand Rapids, MI

• Mo
    Monique Caron Aug 03, 2007

Their Customer Support is an absolute joke. Our cellular tower is down again - for about the 4th time in 3 months. Can't make or receive any cellular calls. I have to drive 15 minutes away to get on another Sprint tower just to contact Customer Support. I was just on hold for 25 MINUTES and then they disconnected me!!! There is no place on line to report the outage I am sick of this problem and their non-existent customer support.

And forget trying to resolve the issue because you can't get anyone from Customer Service to respond or speak with you. The $100 fee for breaking my contract will be well worth it. My time is far more valuable than the hours I spend on hold trying to get service issues resolved! I have yet to receive any response from Customer Service or any compensation for the numerous outages and the hours I have spent on the phone trying to get through to their CS hotline.

rebekah lynn christman Aug 11, 2007

On July 01, 2007 I purchased a money order for 200.00 dollars at western union to pay my sprint pcs cell phone bill. Three weeks later my phone was shut off by sprint, I called sprint to find out what was going on. My 200.00 payment had never been processed to my account! I asked several questions to someone by the name of adam. I gave adam my check number of the money order my account number the date purchased and the amount of my money order.Adam said we have not received any payment. He advised me call western union.

I called western union on july 24, 2007 they tracked my money order. IT HAD BEEN CASHED BY SPRINT ON JULY 20, 2007. I called sprint right then and spoke with a John,he stated the same thing no payment has been received.

On July 31 I received a letter from sprint In the mail Stating the following
    *SPRINT'S LETTER*. We have received and deposited your payment, listed above, which cannot be processed and credited to your account because of insufficient information received with the payment. Please assist us by indicating what Sprint account to which we should apply these funds

Please complete following information:

Your name:
    name of account holder
    account or customer number
    phone number
    payment amount

When contacting us, please reference the number in the right corner of this document, and have a completed copy of this letter and a copy of your original invoice or bill, or similar documentation with your account information.

REFERENCE NUMBER: *******
    CHECK NUMBER: ********
    DATE OF CHECK: 7-1-07
    AMOUNT OF CHECK: 200.00

So all this time they had my money order which was never processed to my account due to not enough information which is A LIE! They did not have any information but yet were able to have enough info to send me this letter!

On July 31 I then again called sprint and spoke with a manager jennifer told her everything I have just stated here. She assured me she would fix the problem and return my phone call in the morning which would be Aug 1,2007 never received any calls from sprint.

On August 1,2007 I called sprint I spoke with a dan which he hung up on me! From Aug. 1,2007 to Aug 7,2007 I spoke with a John,Terri, Jason no help at all. I was called a liar and was told I never sent a payment out or else sprint would have it. That was said by terri.

On Aug 8,2007 I spoke with a manger by the name of mike in disconnecting/cancel accounts I told him everything that had happened, He would not even listen very rude in every way He again pretty much called me a liar about me sending a 200.00 payment. I asked mike if I could have a fax number to were I could fax the letter I had received from sprint he stated that there was no fax number! I asked him if there was anyway he could turn my service back on? Mike stated that he could only if I was to make a payment of 308.00 which was the 200.00 I had already paid once and my recent payment of 108.00. I stated I would pay the 108.00 but not the 200.00 payment I was not going to pay it twice because of some mistake or game that they are playing. Mike stated that he WOULD NOT TAKE THE 108.00 THE ONLY PAYMENT HE WOULD ACCEPT WOULD BE THE 308.00. Mike would not even take my 108.00 payment. Mike would not turn my phone.

On Aug.9,2007 I spoke with a keith from the financial department. I again told him the whole mess and what I had been going through and the way I had been treated Keith was very upset. Keith stated he promised he would fix the problem. I gave him all my Information he asked for. Keith took his time with me and talked to me got the information and found my payment that night on Aug 9,2007! Keith was the only one that treated me like a normal person after a month of fighting with I know at least 20 different sprint pcs workers and MANAGERS ONLY ONE PERSON HELPED ME THAT'S IS SO SAD. I have been a customer with sprint pcs for four years! IT'S SAD THE WAY A CUSTOMER IS TREATED!!!

rebekah lynn christman Aug 15, 2007

On July 31 I received a letter from sprint In the mail Stating the following

*SPRINT'S LETTER*
    We have received and deposited your payment, listed above, which cannot be process ed and credited to your account because of insufficient information received with the payment.

Please complete following information

REFERENCE NUMBER: *******
    CHECK NUMBER: ********
    DATE OF CHECK: 7-1-07
    AMOUNT OF CHECK: 200.00

On Aug 8,2007 I spoke with a manger by the name of mike in disconnecting/cancel accounts I told him everything that had happened, He would not even listen very rude in every way He again pretty much called me a liar about me sending a 200.00 payment. I asked mike if I could have a fax number to were I could fax the letter I had received from sprint he stated that there was no fax number! I asked him if there was anyway he could turn my service back on? Mike stated that he could only if I was to make a payment of 308.00 which was the 200.00 I had already paid once and my recent payment of 108.00. I stated I would pay the 108.00 but not the 200.00 payment I was not going to pay it twice because of some mistake or game that they are playing. Mike stated that he WOULD NOT TAKE THE 108.00 THE ONLY PAYMENT HE WOULD ACCECPT WOULD BE THE 308.00. Mike would not even take my 108.00 payment. Mike would not turn my phone.

On Aug.9,2007 I spoke with a keith from the financial department. I again told him the whole mess and what I had been going through and the way I had been treated Keith was very upset. Keith stated he promised he would fix the problem. I gave him all my Information he asked for. Keith took his time with me and talked to me got the information and found my payment that night on Aug 9,2007! Keith was the only one that treated me like a normal person after a month of fighting with I know atleast 20 different sprint pcs workers and MANAGERS ONLY ONE PERSON HELPED ME THAT'S IS SO SAD. I have been a customer with sprint pcs for four years! IT'S SAD THE WAY A CUSTOMER IS TREATED!!!

• We
    wendy richmond Aug 21, 2007

Sprint Customer Service is horrid. This is just one example from the large number of horrible experiences I've had with them.

Sprint has sent me three collection notices, three months apart, for a past due balance of $35.18. However, every time I've tried to pay the balance, they state I have no balance due. Yet, I continue to receive these notices. I have tried calling all the customer service numbers available to no avail- all claim I have no balance due. So, WHY ARE THEY STILL SENDING ME COLLECTION NOTICES IF EVERYONE CLAIMS I HAVE NO BALANCE DUE?

I am also receiving monthly bills for my phone service, which I am paying. Still no mention of the mysterious $35.18.

Oh, yeah, I'm a Sprint employee also. Longing for the days when I was still a Nextel employee. That was a great company, how Sprint could taint it so quickly is depressing.

• El
    Elaine Hartle Aug 27, 2007

I am now in the 5th hour of trying to resolve the simple issue of switching the phone lines on two phones of the 5 phones on my account. There seems to be a problem with putting one of the lines on one of the phones. Three times I was told tech support would call me back in order that I not be kept on hold any longer that I already had. Three times there was no call at the appointed time (or after). I have spoken to seven individuals over two days. I have yet to be able to speak to a supervisor even though I've been repeatedly told, "Sure, no problem". This is the most outrageous and frustrating example of the lack of customer service I have ever experienced.

• Hb
    H Bets Aug 30, 2007

I've suddenly started having problems with telemarketers. I'm on the Do-Not-Call list, but these aren't legitimate businesses. For example, I've gotten half a dozen phone calls recently which promise to give me lower rates on my credit cards -- if only I tell them all of my credit card and bank account information over the phone. The "callback" number in one case was an advertisement for a sex chat line. The local consumer affairs agency confirms that it's an organized crime operation with identity theft on their minds (and so long as you're smart enough to keep your private information out of their hands, that government office really doesn't have the resources to do anything about it).

Today, I received a new one. This is a man with poor English (South Asian?) who didn't seem to know anything about the Do Not Call laws. There was no caller id number. Whenever he didn't want to answer my question -- "Will you please transfer this call to your supervisor?" -- he kept reverting to his script: "This number has been selected to receive a free mobile phone." He claimed that he was his own supervisor.

I'm 100% certain that the person whose name he gave did not, in fact, request information on a free mobile phone, especially from Sprint Wireless.

I'm still on hold; after five fruitless minutes, he put me on a (silent)hold. The timer is ticking up towards 18 minutes as I type. I really doubt that they have any relationship at all to Sprint, so this is just a warning to remember that If it seems too good to be true, it probably is!

• Valerie Sep 05, 2007

Dear Sprint Representative,

I am writing you to let you know that I am very displeased with the Sprint service. My name is SSG Brown and I have been a sprint customer for almost a year and the service sucks. I went to your office to get my phone repaired, but as usually they never have any phones on hand and they have to request one with takes between 3 to 5 days which is an inconvenience to me due to the importance of my mission. Not only that but the sales representative deleted all my contact numbers as well. So not only I'm I with out a phone but I have to somehow try to recover all my important numbers. I am on a special team that deploys rapidly and for me not to have a phone for 3 to 5 days is crucial to me and my soldiers. I would not recommend this service to anyone and will advise my military comrades to do the same

Pamela Brown

"A wish changes nothing; a decision changes everything"

Anonymous Consumer Sep 14, 2007

SPRINT NEXTEL RATED LOWEST AMONG U.S. WIRELESS CARRIERS IN OVERALL SATISFACTION AND CUSTOMER CARE BY J.D. POWER AND ASSOCIATES

SEPT 2007 (www.cell-phone-ratings.info) - In the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 U.S. Wireless Customer Care Performance Study (Volume 2) which measures customer satisfaction with their wireless carrier's customer care service, Sprint Nextel was rated lowest (2 of 5) among wireless carriers. Alltel, AT&T, and Verizon Wireless rated "About average" (3 of 5), while T-Mobile rated highest receiving the J.D. Power award (5 of 5).

2007 Wireless Customer Care Ratings (Volume 2)

T-Mobile (Award Recipient) - (5) Among the best
    Alltel - (3) About average
    AT&T - (3) About average
    Sprint Nextel - (2) The rest
    Verizon Wireless - (3) About average

The study also found that "among customers who contacted the service department, 43 percent had a billing-related service inquiry, and 56 percent of these contacts were attributed to inaccurate charges.

In the J.D. Power and Associates 2007 U.S. Wireless Regional Customer Satisfaction Index Study (Volume 1) which measures overall wireless carrier performance, Sprint Nextel received the lowest ratings in Overall Satisfaction in all six U.S. regions: Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, North Central, Southwest, and West, while T-Mobile rated highest or among the highest in all six regions.

ABOUT www.cell-phone-ratings.info
    www.cell-phone-ratings.info is a consumer-driven website. It is not an advertising/marketing website, and is not affiliated with J.D. Power and Associates or any wireless service provider.

RESOURCES 25 July 2007 J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Wireless Customer Care Performance StudySM

19 April 2007 J.D. Power and Associates 2007 U.S. Wireless Regional Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) StudySM http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/pressrelease.aspx?id=2007058

# # #

• Valerie Sep 27, 2007

It is difficult to imagine that Sprint is a communications company by the manner in which they treat their customers. I renewed my Sprint PCS phone service with a two-year agreement when my telephone suddenly died a year ago. What a mistake. I had just started a new consulting business and didn't want to risk problems with transferring my phone number to a new carrier. When I lived in Chicago, I was near a Sprint Store where I received excellent service and several nods of agreement when I said that I was so frustrated by Sprints telephone and online "customer service." My most recent complaint-the latest in the litany-is: I received a call from Sprint saying they were going to cut off my service if I didn't pay my bill. I had already paid the bill. When I called I was told that they hadn't received the payment. So, I paid by credit card and cancelled the check. When I received my bill, they charged me $25 for a cancelled check fee!!! When I tried to reach someone I was frustrated by their endless voice prompts that took me everywhere but a useful place. God forbid that I speak to a person. Finally, when I the point where I was transferred to someone, I was told the wait would be 10 to 15 minutes (The same as the last time I called.) Then I tried online and had to do some creative maneuvering just to find how to send an email. Several times the system defaulted me to useless FAQs.

• Ph
    phoebe ndurere Oct 09, 2007

I have been receiving these text messages for about a month now and whenever i try to contact my customer care they keep referring me to other associates who tell me they dont recognize the service of which they charge $24 a month and $6.00 per week. Am lost i dont know how i can stop it. Someone please help.

• Valerie Oct 19, 2007

Sprint: Sprint PCs
    www.sprint.com
    11686 Plaza America Drive
    Reston, VA 20190
    (703) 742-7778

Where do I begin. I have been a Sprint customer for approximately three years. I was incredibly satisfied with my service until recently - when I actually needed customer service! When I renewed my contract , added a line, and upgraded phones, you would have thought that everyone I talked to, and there were several people, had just started their training as customer service agents. I kid you not, I must have spent 5 hours on three or four different occasions trying to straighten out one customer service blunder after another. Too many phones coming, no order for the phones found, billed several hundred dollars when the upgrades were suppose to be free, etc. I simply couldn't believe the lack of knowledge and the communication breakdown between customer service agents.

Finally, after approximately one month and several hours of phone calls, things finally straightened around. However, my issues were not resolved until I contacted the cancellation department and threatened to leave.

All was wonderful with Sprint for about three weeks, that's when I need them again. Our brand new phones (2 of the 4) started to malfunction. I was pleasantly surprised when they agreed to send two new phones to me, and a return kit for the others. However, little did I know that once again, there was a communication breakdown. The girl only sent me one return kit and told me to put two phones in the mailer. Upon reading the directions, it stated that positively only one phone should be enclosed. I called AGAIN and ordered two new return kits (now the first one was ruined), and only received one in the mail. Keep in mind, these phones need to be returned within thirty days or I'm charged for them. So, I ripped open the sealed mailer, recycled it, and returned both phones.

I knew better than to expect proper handling, so before my bank account was deducted for payment(I HAD it on automatic draft), I called Sprint customer service AND utilized the on-line service to double check my statement balance. In both instances, I was reassured that the proper credits had been made and my new corrected balance was $91.00. I decided the day my payment was due to check my bank balance, and low and behold another communication breakdown. My bank account was deducted $453.08. That is $362.08 over what was suppose to come out. When I called, I was told that I would need to wait until it posts (apparently people actually think Sprint will give them money) and then an investigation will ensue. After that, a check will be cut and a refund mailed! It would take approximately 2 weeks to receive my refund!

I don't know about anyone else out there, but I'm a teacher. $362.00 is a lot of money. I am now concerned about checks bouncing and bills not getting paid.

Let me tell you, I wilto stay with Sprint until my contract expires, but I'm stuck. It's only because I'm stuck. If their customer service doesn't improve, I will be sure to keep spreading the word, and I encourage others to do the same. The more we get this out, the less others will have to deal with such inadequacy.

I can't imagine who's teaching their customer service representatives, but I think they had better find someone else. This is despicable.

I intend to call corporate tonight. I was given two numbers and they are as follows: 703 433 4000 and 913 794 0000. As of this point, I don't know if they're legitimate, but I hope it helps. Maybe if we start calling corporate then they'll hire more competent trainers.

• Je
    Jennifer Bethea Oct 29, 2007

Receiving at least two texts a day from fun mobile charging 5.99 per week, and never signed up for anything.

• Ni
    nina Oct 31, 2007

After 6 years with the same phone i decided to get a new one. i got katana with add. line (cheaper) from kiosk at the mall. FYI do not go to kiosk, they are not affiliated with Sprint at all. they are not corporate what they promise does not have to be honored. anyways, i was promised better plan, more features for basically $5 more. deal right? my phone got turned off yesterday, and i found bill for $414.29??? in my mail box... WHO SPENDS THAT MUCH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD??? anyways, i called... i was put on hold for 18 minutes, to get hung up on. i call again, nice lady unable to help me transfers me to Brandon. he is at dispute department. gets my phone # and says, We will contact you about this in 4-6 days??? what? i need to explain what is going on...that Brandon starts literally yelling at me. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME? I CANT HELP YOU< THERE IS NOTHING ELSE YOU CAN DO. i was in total shock... i got transferred again, and i broke down. Dorothy answered, calmed me down, called Brandon an idiot (: and got me Julie a manager... finally (2.5 hrs later) i explained that i was charged for months for stuff i did not ask to have, for late fees because they are unable to process check (oh sorry he got wrong acc # for your bank... long story short, my bill got down to 179... i wonder who gets rich of the stuff they just put on the acc. thinking we are all stupid and wont notice. Advice... do not go to kiosk! check every bill you get, and don't bother with customer service, go to manager straight... or start crying, the are some compassionate people there... i was humiliated non the less, but i am sure you will here from me here soon... probably i was told whole bunch of lies again... we will see

Jon Weber Nov 05, 2007

Two years ago, this coming Feb., my wife and I got two cell phones from Sprint. I got what I thought was the replacement plan. The store rep assured us that this was all we needed. This last Sept., I took my phone in because I was having problems with it. They couldn't fix it so the sent for a new one. According to the company's phone reps (this is a joke because it took me over an hour to reach a person and then almost another hour before I finally hung up the phone.), Since I got a new phone that automatically changed the contract. If they had just repaired the phone, which they were unable to do, the old contract would be in tact. Further I learned that my wife's contract did not end until April 2008 (not Feb. 2008). According to the rep we must have had something done earlier on hers. They are charging us $350 to cancel the contracts. The people at the local store never once told me that by getting the new phone I would be taking a new contract out on my phone.

About 6 mos.-1year ago, their collection agency called and told us we owed Sprint between $1400-$1500. Come to find out, they had allowed someone else to purchase phones using my name and social security number. We had had problems with this with another phone company who caught it and notified us. We in turn notified the three credit bureaus. Sprint allowed this to be done over the phone and the phones were sent to another address. Obviously the Sprint people were not smart enough to figure out that these were two different addresses. We were working with the local police to try to catch the people. In the middle of the investigation, Sprint called these people and told them that they did not owe the money and disconnected the phones. Needless to say that killed the police investigation. I was so angry that by the time I was done, I was screaming at them. I rarely lose my temper. I have contacted the Attorney General of the State of Missouri's office to file a complaint with them. if enough of us complain to our state officials, maybe we can get something done. Also tell all your friends and neighbors about it. My neighbor also had similar problems, but I didn't know until yesterday.

• St
    Stephanie s Nov 08, 2007

I have been dealing with billing issues from Sprint for over a year now. Every month I get my emailed bill and look it over for errors. First, I had some sort of premium message charge that never should have happened. That took two calls. Then, I had some text messages that were charged as international when they weren't. That took two calls. Then, I had a roaming charge that the rep didn't want to credit back even though the call was made from a covered area. Then, I canceled a line and switched which line should be my primary line. The next bill showed the canceled line, but it was a $0 charge, so I called to verify that it was canceled properly. I was assured that it was. The next bill came, and the line was off, but my mobile to mobile calling wasn't being calculated and taken off, so I had overage. I called in, and the recording said I would have a 10-15 minute wait. That wait turned in to over 50 minutes! When a rep came on the line, I mentioned the timer was wrong, and he told me that I should have called in the afternoon when they were better staffed. Next, he told me that the calls not being calculated right was because I had gone over my minutes anyway, and he gave me a one time "courtesy credit" to take care of it. I also voiced that I wanted to open a trouble ticket for a poor area, and he told me that since I am in Chicago, they were probably already aware of it and he would put a note in my account. I wound up having to call back to put in my ticket. This month, the same thing happened with my pcs to pcs, so I called back in. The rep I spoke with got a supervisor right away to get the issue resolved. At no time did I ask to speak with a supervisor or get irate so that I would have to be directed to one. The supe. got on the line, I explained the issue, and she told me she could fix the plan, but I would have to print out the bill and highlight all the pcs to pcs calls and call back to discuss it later. I asked why I needed to call back when I had the bill right in front of me, and she said she didn't have time to go over it with me. I asked her to forward me to someone who could, and she told me again to print out the bill and highlight the calls because she didn't have time. When I saw that she wasn't going to do anything because she "didn't have the time," asked asked to be directed to the cancellation department, and she promptly did so. Finally, the cancellation department took care of my issues. I don't advocate saying everytime you have an issue you have to threaten to cancel, but at this point, I am seriously considering canceling for real.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices