FILE A COMPLAINT

Complaints & Reviews

booked (subsequently cancelled) and still awaiting refund

I booked and paid for a Speeddating event on 17 June 2019, for a relative. On the day of the event (9 July 2019) the event was cancelled (due to not enough attendees). I requested a refund by email. Was told 10 working days to process. I phoned a couple of days later and was told it had been 'issued' but would be 10 working days to get back to my account. I emailed again a few days ago. No reply. I still have had no refund (£15).

I would like a refund of £15!

• Updated by Frankthecat · Jul 30, 2019

I have copies of booking, their response saying they'd issued refund, and my bank account.

Boring

I decided to try SpeedDater because it seemed like a great idea and a great way to meet new people. There wa...

They lied about free event

I joined the website www.speeddater.co.uk couple of months ago. I recently joined one event on the website, and it was mentioned that it was for free. After 2 days I got the invoice from them. I needed to pay for the participation about $20. I was surprised, but I paid. I just wanted to warn other people that such dating websites are total rip off. Please leave comments and share your views about this website. Thanks.

Speed dating scam

Booked and paid for a Speed dater event on their website speeddater.co.uk, which indicated "women sold out"...

billing

I was introduced by a friend to single parties organized by Speed Dater, an online meeting website (owned by...

credit card charge

It all started in June 2010. I was introduced by a friend to single parties organized by Speed Dater, an...

refund refused; auto charge

It all started in June 2010. I was introduced by a friend to single parties organized by Speed Dater (http://www.speeddater.co.uk), an online meeting website (owned by Cupid plc) that is also organizing single events in London venues.
One day I realised looking at my bank account statement that the website was charging me even though I have never been interested in online dating. It appeared that I had forgotten to uncheck a box that was giving me a free access to the web services for a month while booking for a single party event.
I called the company which initially refused to give any refund. I reiterated that I never intended to register as a paying online member. I had to exchange many emails to be granted a refund and I found the argument unpleasant. This is when speed dater’s staff really started to wind me up as I really dislike this kind of commercial attitude on the internet (you suddenly get charged for services you never willingly agreed to subscribe to because you missed a small asterisk somewhere).
Subsequently I registered for speed dating events and decided to use the guarantee given to clients to claim a free event if they chose not to tick anyone during the speed dating. I didn’t tick anyone and asked for a free entry to another speed dating event. Still I have decided to stay in touch with some of the ladies I was not interested to meet as dates but simply as friends
Speed dater company is so greedy that they decided not to give me a free access to another event on the basis that I had contacted some attendees which suggested that I wanted to date them. In fact it is indeed written in their general conditions about activating the guarantee that “If you are seen to be handing out business cards, exchanging contact details or sending site messages to event members, this suggests you do wish to see members again. Such acts will forfeit an activated guarantee.” Who reads such TCs?
They spy over your shoulder and read the messages you may exchange with some attendees to withdraw their guarantee. You have been warned! I haven’t heard of any other speed dating company having this attitude.
This is where Denise comes into the picture. I will be charitable and call her Denise even though this is not her real name. Denise organizes events. Denise is tight. Denise became very very very upset because I had tried to use the guarantee to book a free event (for which I initially paid no less than 20 quids!). Denise said that she would not allow me to attend any other event! Denise is strict. I like Denise.
Very recently I decided to join a friend into one of those single party events and then guess what dear reader! Denise was here, at the entrance! I swear, dear reader, that I would have never recognized her. In fact I was not even expected her to be there. How would I? It had been nearly two years since we had exchanged (exclusively through emails). One would have though that Denise would have moved to new professional challenges, in a more rewarding environment. But she was there!
Denise denied me access, it appeared that she thought she was remembering me pretty well. She has also refused to give me any refund.
Frustrated Denise? Frustrated of handing over locks and keys during those events after so many years with the company? Who knows! Anyway she thought she had to tell me proudly that she “had shares in the company” before adding that she was not a director though! Needless to say a director would not spend his Saturday night welcoming guests at a dating event! Denise must have handed over locks and keys for too many years. She is upset. I cannot blame her. Who wouldn’t?

More seriously I think this company is has-been. They didn’t manage to reinvent themselves. They treat clients like money bags, enrol then through dodgy commercial practices into paying sections of their website, claim they offer a guarantee but are keen to withdraw it at their discretion to cash in as much as they can.
Times have changed, new business models appeared. Many new comers on the lucrative single market industry offer FREE single parties: Love struck (http://www.lovestruck.com/london) is one of them. They organize nice events on Thursdays and Saturdays called laissez-faire. Their motto is exactly the opposite: they don’t ask for money or for you to be even registered (so no need for you to check that you credit card is charged after a while for unwanted subscriptions!). Moreover they don’t spy on you. Their motto is The Lovestruck Laissez-Faires and quite frankly Denise, as Love Struck says “we are sick of being told what to do.” and we want to give our phone number to whoever wants it, guarantee or not.
Other companies I have heard, such as match.com also organize free single events.
And yes Denise, move on, there are other jobs on the market!
However if you fancy a date with me, please let me know. I would love to have a drink with you and see if there is any chemistry.

money

my complaint is pretty simple i am with cupid dating site and i am supposed to be paying 25 dollars a month...

Data Protection Act official complaint against Cupid plc (www.speeddater.co.uk).

To: First Contact Team Information Commissioner's Office Wycliffe House Water Lane Wilmslow SK9...

I am annoyed by this website emailing me with &someone has viewed my profile&

I am annoyed by this website emailing me with "someone has viewed my profile" I don't know who placed me on this site it certainly wasn't me, I complained to them and they have chosen to ignore my comments and do nothing about securing their website, are they placing the adverts themselves in the hope that so many will join? They had got my age wrong and put that i lived somewhere near to where I used to live, how do they get this information? they also knew of an old password I used on other sites!!!

• Fr
    Franckie333 Dec 15, 2011

Dear Crooller,
    If you wish to complain against Cupid plc owning speeddater.co.uk for the above, we would like to suggest that you raise an official complaint under the Data Protection Act 1998.
    This is a free, easy and quick procedure. You only need to fill in a form that you can email to the Information Commissioner's Office.
    Websites such as online dating sites take these complaints very seriously as it is very common they get sued for similar facts.

Details can be found on:

Under the Data Protection Act, those who collect and use personal information have to follow rules of good practice for handling information (called the data protection principles). The Act also gives rights to individuals whose information they collect and use.
    How do I know if my problem is a data protection problem?
    You might have a data protection problem if any of the following apply to you:
    •You have been denied any of your rights, including your right to see the personal information an organisation holds about you.
    •Personal information about you is used, held or disclosed:
    •unfairly
    •for a reason that is not the one it was collected for, or
    •without proper security.
    •Personal information about you is:
    •inadequate, irrelevant or excessive
    •inaccurate or out of date, or
    •kept for longer than is necessary.

Make your complaint
    Please note: some of our online complaints forms are undergoing development. In the meantime, please choose from the following options.
    •By email: If all your supporting evidence is available electronically, you can send your form via email by taking the following steps. Please be aware that email may not be secure and could be intercepted before reaching the ICO.

Data Protection Act complaint form (Word version)
    1. Complete and save the form to your computer.
    2. Open a new email, with 'Complaint to the ICO' in the subject line.
    3. Attach this form and any other documents you wish to send us.
    4. Send to [email protected]

•By post: If your supporting evidence is in hard copy, you can print out the form and post it to us with your supporting evidence.

• Ne
    Neutrino7 May 07, 2012

They ie speeddater did that to me and not only that but took a hefty subscription charge as well