Source Marketing DirectScam recruiting

K

I had originally applied for various jobs via reed.co.uk, I had applied for this particular one and send off my cv via reed. The following morning I received a phone call from Courtney Sagar who is thr receptionist with a South African accent. She asked me if I was available for an interview the following day at 5pm. Which I agreed on. On arrival at this shady office in a small alley way near southwark station, I was greeted by Courtney at the reception desk asking me to complete a form about myself and my experiences etc. looking around me, there are about 10 others waiting for an interview. After speaking to to a few of them, I found out they had all been booked in for 5pm. (Strange, as usually interviews are allocated at different times). Speaking to one of thr girls, she had told me last year she escorted her friend to an interview with source marketing direct but in a London bridge based office. So in my interview with a bloke by the name of James, I asked him if the company also had an office in London bridge. He nodded his head as if to come across clueless. During the end of interview 1 he said he would like me to come back for a second interview tomorrow and there will also be some training involved with a sales rep. I asked him what he liked about me and his response was I had a great aura about myself and that looking at my cv I was in this top one or two candidates. Once the interview was over, I spoke to a girl who had her interview just before mine and told her what James had said about being in his top one or two. She replied and said he said the same thing to me, which was quite bizarre.
Anyway, the following day I was introduced to a bloke by the name of Harris who is supposedly the top salesman in the company. We visited an event whereby I watched him and a recent recruit selling charity fundraising to the general public. I thought ok, top salesman and yet he has only made one sale all afternoon. He could certainly talk to the talk when it came to telling me about how much of a big shot he is, how he was too good for his previous roles etc. but when push came to shove he generated one sake all afternoon. I reckon I could have done more. I mean he went off for half an hr having breakfast when we got to the place. Setting me three tasks to complete to keep me occupied all afternoon so I couldn't hear his awful selling techniques. At 2pm he read my tasks I had completed and made a phone call to his superior to made a recommendation about myself. Which he did in two mins and returned. I was told to go back got the southwark based office for final round interviews with the head of the company Hector. Filled in another form, and there are another new set of young candidates waiting to be interviewed which was quite strange as both days, morning, afternoon and evening there seemed to have been numerous individuals waiting for their first round interviews.

20mins later hector calls me into the office for my final interview. Raving on about the company and James caan etc. 10 mins later he says to me that after my recommendation by Harris he would like to offer me the post. Very simple. I ask him what happens next, he says text Harris and he will inform u about the next steps. I txt Harris thanking him for his recommendation. He calls me back at 8pm telling me to come to work tomorrow at 8am and to bring my ID, NI number and proof of address. I asked him what about my p45 and bank details. He said no, which I again thought was bizarre. I then get a txt from my gf saying she has been doing research on the company and this is where I found this forum.

The company are scammers, they use graduates or whoever they can find their dirty little hands on, make them work like slaves with no basic salary. 100% commission based earnings. £20 per sale. Based on today's experience with Harris it is difficult make a single sale, let alone more. This would leave me with £20 in my back pocket ... Times that by 7 because ppl here actually work 7 days a week. Which would generate £140 per week for over 40 hours of work. Worth it? I'll let u make ur mind up. My advice.. Stay WELL clear!!!

• Je
    jetsky28 Dec 03, 2012

hey is what you said about harris true? he just talks about himself lots?

• Al
    alexosk Dec 16, 2012

yeah, i was so excited when i got this 'job'. I mean you read all these stories about 5 year graduates working anywhere and there i was, barely out of uni being told i could be making 2k a week in less than a year if i played it right... That harris guy is a joke, he thinks too much of himself and is 49% the reason i would not work with the company, the other 51% being of course, that its all a scam!!!

• Ar
    ArwaK Aug 17, 2017

Yeah its all weird.They contact you immediately, interview you and ask you to return as youve progressed.Its the way that they try to make you feel chosen continually implying theyre impressed with your CV, your phone interview and then you face to face interview stating that you have been selected.Yet it seems from the interview process that EVERYONE is selected.My thing is just be up front tell people at least at first interview that its commission based and essentially your a door to door style sales person generation customers who have zero interest in signing up to contracts.People arent trying to sign up to stuff maybe 15 years ago this sort of thing worked but people dont want to be harrassed making it near impossible to make a serious living off of this if your the average joe, not a high energy, money obsessed energiser bunny.Its also odd that you just dont get an idea of what the role actually entails.I think the website is deliberately vague about what they actually do.If you do go for the interview just ask what a day in the job typically involves.I think getting people to do a 9 hour shift without this information is misleading.Dont be too naive .

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices