ShoppersDiscount.co.ukunauthorised deductions from my bank account

It seems that since I booked flights with Easyjet over the internet in Feb 2008 I have had £8 per month taken, by Shopperdiscount.co.uk, and without my knowledge. It also appears to be a regular and similar complaint by other Easyjet customers.
I have e-mailed Shoppersdiscount demanding cancellation of my so called 'membership' and a return of my money. So far without acknowledgement.
This must be highly irregular and probably illegal.How can they do this on such a wide scale?

Tony Theobald
e-mail:[protected]@talktalk.net

• Cm
    CMD Jan 08, 2009

i was checking my bank statement and there was £8 taken off my account as well
    and did not know what it was for and when i checked it online saw this...
    how can that be and why is there a membership..i did not sign for any membership or agreed or signed to a fee to be taken off my account

• Cm
    CMD Jan 08, 2009

i never flew with easyjet and since sept there has been an unauthorized deduction from my bank out
    i can't seem to find a number or an email address so i can contact them and i am waiting on a phone call from the fraud and identity theft to take this further.

john burns Jan 09, 2009

8 pounds taken out of my account. why?

• Da
    D A Smith Jan 26, 2009

I'm glad it's not just me. I have never knowingly signed up fot this hookum but whilst checking my statement online I noticed that these crooks have had £10.00 from my account. So now I have to put up with the hassle of going to my branch and get a visa dipute form and filling that in and then endure all the nonsense that goes with it.

D A Smith

• Xt
    xtoph Jan 30, 2009

I too have had £8 taken from my account. I have never booked or flown with Easyjet but have used the account for other on-line flight bookings. I have no idea how to email these people (not for want of trying) so have been unable to express either my discontent or to cancel my 'membership'. Anybody got an email address they would like to contribute?

Chris Leaney

• Be
    Beth Feb 02, 2009

I have tried to contact them, their phones dont work and the emails get returned!! Look out. Its a huge scam, I got caught through easy jet but there are lots of other companies doing the same thing

• Gw
    Gwen Leader Feb 06, 2009

It’s not just Easyjet, I bought some flowers for my aunt’s 95th birthday last October from Interflora via the net, and have been getting emails from shoppers discount ever since. Because I didn’t know what it was I have deleted them, now I find that they have been taking £10 a month since November from my account. Needless to say I have cancelled my card. Definitely a scam
    Gwen

• Em
    Emma Feb 15, 2009

I ordered shampoo from lookfantastic.com and ended up entering my deatils into shoppers discount website to claim a free £15 cheque which i did recieve and cashed however since making the purchase from lookfantastic.com I have had £10 each month deducted from my account. Can anyone help??

Emma

• Gs
    g staton Feb 19, 2009

I have recieved my credit card statement with two £8 deductions from shoppersdiscount.co.uk. i have no idea who they are but have a telephone number obtained through my credit card company. 08082341539. automated system asks for credit card number. unwilling to give my number stayed on the line then put through to customer service dept and canceled membership, also asked for refund of payments and told would be refunded.

Geoff

• Km
    kmosscrop Feb 23, 2009

Me too! how do we get our money back? what is the email address you used?

• Fi
    fiore Feb 26, 2009

just phone the number on credit card statement and go ahead until they put you trough an operator. i have been told they will refund last 3 payments back, and they are sending me a claim form for the rest. good luck

• Ti
    timmo Mar 04, 2009

We were "done" with this as well, bought something last may from Allposters, have been payuing since, call the number and follow the instructions seems a good plan to me!

• Ck
    C K Mar 06, 2009

we too have done by easyjet, they have taken £8 a month from our account since august last year, we phoned shopperdiscount.co.uk on 08082341539 they promised to refund last month money and send us a claim form for the rest of the money. they also terminated the so call membership with immediately effect. most likely they know that they are in the wrong so ring them up and get your money back .

C.K

• St
    Stephen Mar 08, 2009

A lot of people have been caught out by this scam. See this website discussion for more details and advice:

Jane Mar 19, 2009

I've just got my bank statement today and on checking my account have also found that £10.00 has been taken out. I booked plane tickets through Expdedia, can only think its as a resulkt of this. I will try the number given and see if that works to cancel.

• Ke
    kellymai Mar 22, 2009

there is the same thing happen on me¬how can I solve this problem?

• Su
    susan Mar 23, 2009

The same thing happened to my mother, she booked train tickets via national express and has just realised shes had £10 taken out her account for the last 3 months! I have spoken to consumer direct and they suggest writing to shopper discounts and requesting a full refund, i intend to do this on my mums behalf but im also going to send the BBCs Watchdog programme an email!!

• Pe
    Pete Mar 24, 2009

I have also had £8.00 per month taken from my account on Nov. & Dec '08 and Jan. Feb &march ' 09

Pete.

• Mr
    mrs salt Mar 30, 2009

ITS ALSO HAPPEND TO ME I NOTICED £10.00 WAS DEDUCTED FROM ACCOUNT 4 TIMES RANG THE BANK THEY SAID I HAVE SUBSCRIBED TO SOMTHING BUT THEY DONT KNOW WHAT AND THE WOULD STOP PAYMENTS AND SEND ME A LETTER AND ALSO SEND THE PEOPLE WHO ARE TAKING MY MONEY OUT ONE TO STOP THEM TAKING MONEY OUT. I DONT EVEN KNOW WHO THEY ARE I HAVENT SUBSCRIBED AND HOW DID THEY GET MY CARD DETAILS. IF ANY ONE CAN HELP ON HOW TO CONTACT THEM PLEASE LET ME KNOW! SEND EMAILS TO [email protected] THANKS MRS SALT

• Pr
    PresuminEd Mar 31, 2009

Ya, they take £10 now... I got stung when I bought tickets from thetrainline.com; the rotters promised me £15 off my next ticket if I signed up - there was no mention of any monthly fee... why do reputable companies get involved with these a-holes? :(

salsajon Apr 05, 2009

ShoppersDiscount is a subsidiary of WebLoyalty.com based in the US. WebLoayalty have been running this scam for years and it is growing by the day, yearly income is around £150 Million!
    The reason so called reputable companies get involved with these Scam artists, is because WebLoyalty pay them a percentage of the take (a kick back). I think Interflora, EasyJet, Expedia etc all get about £10 per person scammed!
    Webloyalty is currently the subject of a Class Action for exactly this kind of scam -> http://www.dmnews.com/Webloyalty-Named-In-Class-Action-Lawsuit/article/92717/
    We have got to put a stop to this, please make your voices heard and register a complaint with BBC Watchdog, the more complaints they get, the more likely they are to run a story on the "scam". Complain to Interflora, EasyJet or whoever else passed your details onto Shopper Discounts. Also, tell your friends, family and work colleagues about it. If we avoid sites that operate in this way, they will feel the pinch and have to review their policy!

1) Contact ShopperDiscount, there number will be next to the charge on your statement (or ring your credit card company and they will give you the number). Be polite but explain you did NOT want to join the scheme and were not aware you had been signed up. Ask them how you got signed up, they will tell you the name of the comapny you bought items from (Interflora etc). Tell them yuou want your subscription cancelled and all the charges refunded. If they kick up a fuss (which they shouldn't) tell them you will be taking them and Easyjet/Interflora/Expedia etc to the small claims court. In my experience they WILL refund ALL of the charges if you push them.
    2) Write an email/letter to the low life web ### you bought your items from (Interflora, EasyJet...) and who passed your credit card details onto the scammers. Tell them exactly what you think of this practice and their company and inform them that you will also be advising all your friends, relatives and work associates that their credit card details may not be safe if they use their site. Tell them you and your family will never ever by anything from them again!
    - the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) -> http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/how_to_com...mplaints_form/
    - BBC Watchdog -> http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/gotastory/

• Ar
    Arthur Apr 08, 2009

8th April 2009. On checking my credit card statement I discovered that I had been charged £10.00 for the months of March and April. It would appear that whilst purchasing an item on the web, I must have inadvertently ticked a box that enabled me to receive Shoppers Discount Emails. There was, as far as I know, no reference to a monthly charge for this service. It is a sneaky con which lots of unsuspecting surfers have fallen for, judging by the number of complaints on this site and others.

On a more positive note, I rang them and have received an email confirming that a refund of the £20.00 will reach my account within ten days. They also are cancelling my 'membership'.

Arthur

marianonthegreen Apr 09, 2009

I have had the same experience as others re: Shoppers Discount. Initially I thought I must have 'accidentally' signed up, so felt the blame lay with me for not being sufficiently diligent. I decided, though, that I did not want the 'membership' and, when looking for contact details, found this website with lots and lots of other people complaining that they had also been caught out. This made me feel a whole lot better and gave me the confidence to ring Shoppers Discount to complain. When you ring you get an options menu. I would suggest pressing 3, as pressing 1 leads you into potentially giving them your credit card details (and although, of course, they have them already, you don't want to encourage them to make further use of them!). The person I spoke to told me that it was through Interflora that I had be given the opportunity of becoming a member, and a £15 cashback voucher. I don't recall any voucher, so it has certainly not been of any benefit to me, and I would not have willing become a member. I don't like such schemes, however legitimate they may or may not be. I prefer to look out for my own 'special offers'. I don't see that there is much to gain if paying a company £10 per month for doing so on your behalf. Anyway, I have been told my supposed membership will be cancelled with immediate effect and I will be refunded, although I have a feeling that this might only be the most recent payment (14th March) and not 2 other previous payments. Thank you, though, to everyone who has placed their comments on this site. I was unsure what to do about this matter until I read through a number of them.

• Vi
    Vidu Apr 23, 2009

I booked my ticket to thailand online through ebookers.
    There was 2 x £10 taken from my accounts from feb to april.
    I checked the website and found this complaints forum with a contact number on one of the complaints-
    turns out I signed for a membership with them for future online shopping!

I asked for a refund and Ive got to wait for 10 working days.
    To be continued!

• Ge
    George May 04, 2009

I seem to be in a unique Club of people Scammed by this Company, SHOPPERSDISCOUNT.CO.UK, will attempt all given advice, re 10 pounds monthly debit to credit card, thanks to all

• Jh
    J.H. May 10, 2009

I also have been "STUNG" by so called shoppers dis, I book regularly with easy jet, & have noticed lately that £8.00 has been taken from my account twice a month, without my authorization. I thank caller C.K. for posting a contact number, as i plan on contacting them Monday morning, I just feel so angry about this & if I am not refunded in full, I WILL BE TAKING LEGAL ACTION.
    J.H.

margaret rogers May 12, 2009

the same is happen to me how can they do this

• steve May 14, 2009

Ditto for myself when I ordered a DVD from dvd.co.uk. They passed on my CC details to these scam artists who helped themselves to a tenner from my visa card. Your Credit Card people will give you the shoppersdiscount number to call. Call them and explain that you did NOT intentionally sign up for this (there's no other word for it) scam and demand a refund from them and be sure to remind them that you want this malarkey cancelled FORTHWITH !! Don't list to their BULL and excuses and remember it's a scam.

• Mi
    Miffed May 21, 2009

This happened to me too. I've only just noticed but apparently I've been paying £8.00 per month since last July. My credit card company gave me the number to ring 0808 234 1539. The person I spoke to was very helpful - she explained how I became a member (Easyjet in my case) and that she would cancel my membership immediately, refund the last three payments and send me a claim form to recover the rest of my payments. My credit card company also gave me a disputed claims number to ring in case Shoppers Discount do not refund in full.

I've tried to contact Easyjet to complain but without success - I can't find a contact number or email address for complaints. I will let Watchdog know about my experience as well. I also intend to contact the Information Commissioner - I'm sure this practise must be illegal under Data Protection - even though Easyjet mention that they will pass on details to 3rd parties, including payment data, in their terms and conditions. Obviously the box that we all seem to have ticked is very misleading with no real information and in my opinion, designed to defraud.

• Sc
    scooby11 May 23, 2009

I also have been losing £10 a month threw my Tesco Credit Card.
    I am now trying to reclaim that money, but Shopperdiscount refuse to give me their address, so that I can write to them to cancel the payment.
    Tesco's say their is no way legally that they can stop payment.
    Tesco's admit they have a lot of trouble with this company. I asked them why they do not alert their customers, but they say they cannot!
    It appears I booked flight tickets with Thomas Cook and they, it appears, passed on my details to this company.
    WHY ARE THEY NOT BEING STOPPED.
    IT IS THEFT.
    It appears to be conected to all airlines. Are THEY aware that their good name is being dragged through the mud. I will not use Thomas Cook or Easy Jet now.

• Pi
    pippa May 25, 2009

I went to my local store today to buy some groceries and my bank card was declined, I phoned my bank to ask wht and was told temporary block had been put on my card because it appears shoppers discount had tried to take payments from my account on 14th and 24th may bank had declined. although am pleased bank was vigilant wished they had let me know, because was very embarrassed when card declined. shoppers discount had a few wrong details but certainly had my card number how i do not know. will be contacting my banks fraud team 1st thing tomorrow to ensure this company cannot access my details again. makes me worry now about internet shopping, when have been told that so called respectable companies pass details on to shoppers discount, this is highly illegal and shoppers discount must be stopped

• Mr
    Mr Brown Jun 13, 2009

I too have had £10.oo deducted from my account after signing up with them. I think they count on us not bothering to chase £10.00. There was no mention of a fee for joining. I have instructed my bank to stop all further payments.

• Bi
    Bickies Jul 04, 2009

i have just opened my internet banking account and i have a nearly monthly deduction of £8 to these ###ers called shopperdiscount, shoppers discount for who?? Scamming shower of you know whats. I will contact the above numbers to sort this problem out and get a full refund ASAP.

• steve Jul 05, 2009

Further to this I can tell you that shoppersdiscount.com refunded my tenner. I also let dvd.co.uk know that I would NEVER order so much as a stale sandwich from them in the light of what they did with my CC details.

You really DO need to keep a sharp eye on ALL your card/financial statements whether online or postal. A lot of people give no more than a cursory glance at their statements and that's exactly what these scam artists are counting on. It's rather like theft by stealth.

Chuck Turner Jul 05, 2009

Folks should make a list of all the companies that deals with shoppersdiscount.co.uk and boycott them all.

Chuck Turner Jul 06, 2009

Warning "Shopper Discount & Rewards"

• Pi
    pippa Jul 06, 2009

This company must be stopped. Don't let them get away with this it is THEFT.

• Sh
    shoppers discounts Jul 07, 2009

shoppers phone number and e mail is
    [email protected]
    I have talked to them they were helpful and they are going to cancel my direct debit and give me a refund
    steve

Maryo Jul 08, 2009

Hello All:

We want you to know that we’re here to help you. However, it’s difficult to do that in a public forum when we don’t know who each person is or the details of their membership. We can help you better and resolve your specific queries or concerns if you contact us directly. You can do so by calling our customer service team at 0808 234 1539 (this is a free phone) or you can contact me directly at [email protected] If you contact me, please reference this forum.

Thanks,
    Mary
    Consumer Affairs

• Tr
    Trevor Scantlebury Jul 14, 2009

There is a small tick box on these sites, if you DO NOT select it, you are automatically signed up for 'Shoppers Discounts and Rewards'. Some reward, this sadly is legal and you have to contact them to stop it, a very lucrative, but legal SCAM. Contact your card company, don't be silly and cancel your card, they will put you in touch with a number to let you cancel any (!) membership. They have made a great deal of money with this scam. Read everything carefully when ordering, it is just not only online but in magazines as well.