Rue 21bad service

I was shopping in rue 21. Standing in line a metal sign fell and cut my leg. I ask the clerk for a first aide kit. She kept working with the people in line. I ask her if she had something to clean the cut that I have cancer and this is not good for this to happen to me. Finally she went and got the kit there was nothing in there to clean my wound. But it was not bad enough to go the the er. I filled out a report about this and nothing happen no im sorry from the company nothing. Its sad when this happens and u have to go to the store next door (old navy) and ask for help. Its been months now and no letters phone calls nothing.

• I agree with your complaint. However, until recently I have always liked shopping at Rue 21. I know I only spend about 500 to 1000 in this store a year...gift certificates, clothes, shoes, etc. It only takes one bad experience for me not to return. I went in recently after Christmas on New's Years Eve to return a pair of boots I decided not to keep. I had purchased them nine days before. Although, I had my receipt and also knew by looking at my back account that they already received the money for the boots the sales clerk or the manager would not let me return them to get my cash back. They said something about a policy that I could not return the item for a refund until 10 days. Ok...snow on the ground and they wanted to make me come back later. My josh...one day and I could even prove that the money was subtracted by the company. Both sales clerks were young and both said that they were managers at the Rue 21 in Shawnee Oklahoma. This may be really bad thinking of the company hiring children as managers who can't think for themselves. All they would say it is company policy. I will not shop there anymore, nor buy gift cards there. I am more angry that I didn't know about this policy...it is not on the receipt and about the inconvenience it has caused me having to come back a day later to make it 10 days.

Disappointed in Shawnee, Oklahoma

rue sucks Jan 02, 2010

I agree also Rue 21 is starting to be worst place to shop the the employees are rude unhelpful and are so busy on thier cell phones or talking about the customers in the store, everytime somebody walks through the they role thier eyes or huff and puff ... Guess what if you dont want your job thier are alot of people who would gladly take it to help their family and give service with a smile ! I dont know what kind of training they do for Rue 21 but it must not be much. The reason im on here is because i was waiting in line at Rue 21 in jackson tn which was so slow because the workers were complaining and mad because they were ready to go out, while in line a woman was returning some items she had a receipt for one item and the other was a christmas present well the manager of the store whos name is Matt was jerking her clothes out of her hand then when he took the clothes out of her bag she brought he starting screaming oh my god nasty nasty this shirt is wet my god what do u have on this for the whole store to hear run and grabbed the hand sanitizer dumped it on his hands and her receipt she looked mortified she said it was not wet when she left and he said it so nasty and that he could only give her 2.00 for it and that now he has to smell like hand sanitizer all night and told her she needed to check her things before she brought them back ... I put down every item i had in my hands and walked out with her and so did two other women we will never shop there again. when we got out the door the girl was crying he had embarrassed her so bad .I hope the owner or any person in some kind of power would secret shop in this store the manager is AWFUL he needs to be fired!!! . This might affect this young lady forever and you better believe i will tell everybody i can not shop there anymore and also i touched the shirt it was not wet is was just cold so was the sack it was 13 degrees outside ***hole!!!

• Mi
    mitanna Dec 01, 2010

I've had experience's with some cashiers being rude at rue21.They act like they don't want you there.But I once emailed the company because the girl would not exchange my pants and they responed very quickly, and they called the store and within 1 hour I went to exchange my pants.So if anyone ever has a problem just email rue21.and I believe from my experience doing so, you will be pleased.

• Ta
    tayla b. Feb 28, 2011

i disagree with you guys rue21 is a great store and i get alot of things from there and you guys are just jealous that rue 21 gets more customers and is growing. soon you'll be eating your words. because rue 21 is going be the most shopped at store in america, i mean where else can you find low priced skinny jeans and perfumes that are amazing. no where. so stop being haterz and shut up.

• My
    Myawn Jul 18, 2011

Tayla b., you are an idiot. Why would customers be "jealous" that a store is successful? I also had a HORRIBLE experience at the Rue 21 in Estero, Florida at Gulf Coast Town Center. My mother and I were discriminated against by a young, Hispanic woman. It was very apparent and obvious that this was a racial matter. My mother and I both love the clothes and apparel at Rue 21, but we will never shop at this location again, and if the other locations are like this, we will stop shopping at these stores, period. We e-mailed Rue 21 with our complaint today and are extremely interested to hear what they will have to say about our shocking story. (Very long story. Too long to re-type again. Haha.)

RueReject Sep 29, 2011

Listen guys...it totally sucks to work for Rue 21. I was an assistant manager there for 2 years and wanted to [censored] almost everyday! The company sets super high sales goals, gives you little payroll hours to work with which usually means you're understaffed everyday. They send around 30 large boxes of stock every weekday (and saturdays during christmas) that has to be processed (opened, sensored, hung, and and crammed onto the sales floor) within 24 hours. They make these toilet water fragrances and expect you to sell 20 bottles a day, and threaten to fire you when you cant. They care very little about their employees or their customers. While I worked there, they took the part-timers vacation time, and cut the mangers vacation time in half. My store lost two of the four managers right before thanksgiving. Because the lazy district manager wouldn't get off her ### and either help us out or hire someone, me and the store manager each pulled 50 and 60 hrs a week without breaks and lunches, working open to close during extended holiday hours. They have a high theft rate because they cram so much ### into their tiny stores that there is no room to walk, much less pay attention to everyone shopping. They make you lock the fitting rooms, but yet won't let you assign a person to the fitting rooms...no he or she has to be somewhere else sensoring and working out stock. On top of the mass amounts of stock each week, you have 10 pages of markdowns a week, mannequins to change each week, a floor move every other week, fragrances to sell, table changes every other week, and on a good day you MIGHT have three people working at a time. Please don't waste your money on their clothes if you expect them to last. Most of the shirts get holes after just one wash, trust me I had to buy enough of them. I got no training whatsoever...and I was MANAGEMENT!! They gave me the keys and I closed by myself on my SECOND day...barely knew how to do a deposit much less run the store on my own...I went home and cried my eyes out! The chain of communication between the district managers and the stores sucks so bad, we didn't know what we were suppose to do half the time. They give you these policies you are suppose to follow when taking returns and exchanges, but if you can't make the customer happy within these policies and they email the website. Then the district manager tells you to do the total opposite, making you look like an idiot when all you were doing was following policy. I didn't follow half the time. If you're going to have a "every customer happy return policy" you don't have so many rules! So yea, most of the employees hate their jobs. Take my advice and spend your hard earned money elsewhere. The money you spend at Rue is not worth it. Take it somewhere else who gives a ### about their employees and not how much money they're making. I guarentee CEO Bob Fish doesn't even step into the stores, and neither does is wife (who designs the nasty ### fragrances btw)

RueReject Sep 29, 2011

Oh, and I was helping a young lady on her shopping spree from the Make A Wish Foundation. The district manager was there for a visit threatened to fire me if I didn't sell 5 more fragrances in the 15 minutes of work I had left. I laughed, handed my keys to her and walked out with a smile on my face!!! I will never step foot in the store again!! I just drive by and cringe at the thought of it!

• Se
    seriouslyupset1975 Oct 02, 2011

I totally agree with you. I was the store manager for 4 years and everything you said is true. They expect you to do everything, and set impossible goals. I hurt myself while working there and they soon terminated me for it. They do not care about there employees or customers. They always told us that we get the stupid customers, so sell them fragrances, and they would ride our ### if we couldnt sell them...I challenge anyone to work at rue and not get sick. I have to take medicines because of the stress and cant eat properly anymore. But people do need to realize that rue is a degenerate company

• Cu
    Cust with headache Oct 14, 2011

Customer service was horrible! I waited for a dressing room time and time again as the store employees text on their phones and chatted away. I had a coupon and was told could not use it because the items I was purchasing were "sale items". Everything in the store was a sale item! One cashier was VERY inappropriately dressed (Boobs hanging out). When checking out cashier sprayed EVERY single fragrance trying to "upsell". She sprayed on the clothes I was purchasing and it gave me a headache. I will never shop at this store again, I will also let EVERYONE I know about their HORRIBLE service and advise them to shop else where.

PEOLPE SHOULD KEEP BOOBS OUT OF WORK AND DRESS APPROPIATELY

i know my rights! Dec 30, 2011

of course they are lovely jugs of milk

i know my rights! Dec 30, 2011

mine are bodacious and bouncy i should know and so is every other women's

NO YA PERV

rue can be stressFULL Aug 08, 2012

I am an assistant mngr at rue21. @ Disappointed in shawnee, oklahoma. Don't assume that bc the mngrs were young that they were too unwise to handle your situation properly. They did exactly as they were trained. Im assuming you paid by check(that is the only time the 10 day rule applies), and whether your money had cleared or not, those associates could have been written up for breaking that policy. Being a customer who is dissatisfied with a company's policy does not mean the associates "can't think for themselves" An issue like that, you should take to the corporate level bc you are correct, no where on the receipt is this policy mentioned. Some else mentioned the lack of support district managers give their employees. This is absolutely true, (bc of the ignorant way they are trained). They burn into your brain how extremely important it is to follow policy, but when a complacent enough customer actually contacts them they bow like slaves, telling the customer how very right they are and wrong the employee was, making the employee look like an idiot. To top it all off you get scolded by your DM and SM, and a customer complaint is recorded against you. All of this for following the policies and procedures you were threatened w from the start.

• Ca
    Cait2801 Sep 24, 2012

I love rue 21, I actually just shopped there today. But as everyone is saying, the employees have no interest in greeting me when I walk in, making me feel welcome, or anything of that sort. I actually feel unwelcome. Also I went in to the auburn store about a year back to ask them if they were hiring, the manager put me through some tests where I have to pick out a night outfit and day outfit which is a stupid way to give someone a chance at a job, and I know I looked a hell of a lot better then half of the run down employees working there who gave me ### looks and rolled their eyes. Plus I have never experienced a rue 21 employee helping me pick out an outfit for day/night. Overall the place just seems to be not put together too well and I hope the company sees people commenting on this and rethink things

And that story about that customer crying is absolutely ridiculous, I feel so bad for that poor woman. More than anything in the world I expect to be treated with respect and I feel like employees need compassion towards the customers. Maybe stop hiring stuck up snobby high school students.

• Re
    [email protected] Sep 25, 2012

Rue's employers and managers are stuck up! On my second interview, i was told to wait for the 20 year old manager, while standing there, she comes out, didn't greet me at all when she was suppose to be talking to me if i was hired or not. instead she looks at my outfit and goes back in the back room. Then the assistant manager comes out and says, "oh you know what were going to do more interviews and will call you if we want you or not." A week later, I call. And it was the manager Jessica in Puyallup, who answered the phone. I told her I was following up on my interview. She says "Oh they will call you if they like you" which I know shes the manager... Then I asked how long do I wait, her rude ### self starts laughing and says i dont know a week or 2. OK! bye. RUDE PEOPLE! How are they able to keep their job when they don't even know the meaning of being friendly to others and customer service! I dont even care about a phone call anymore, all I know is I lost respect in the whole company, and yes from only one mistake. It only takes one event for me to get disgusted!

• Re
    reva21 Oct 18, 2012

i agree with you above. i hate rue 21 now. i used to love that store. but for the first time. i bought a blouse and don't have time to try it inside the store because of my 2 kids.. so when i get home, i tried it and i doesn't like the fitting so i decided to return it the following day with receipt.. i don;t like the way that i hand my receipt to the cashier, and she start asking personal information, name, address, phone number. WTF. i hav emy receipt on me. and she answered that if u will buy blouses/clothing there they will ask personal information. that is ###.. why not just be smart, use the receipt and done!! i will not shop there anymore!!!even u have cute clothes but now i don;t need it...

• At
    atmtenthreethree Oct 25, 2012

The information is needed in case there is a 200$ return, they may or may not call... Ask you why you were unhappy with the clothing or things you returned, they may send you coupons as well to apologize about the inconvenience...

• Ne
    neverWork4Rue Oct 30, 2012

I agree with all of you and sadly, I got stuck working here for almost two years. I am sorry that all of you had to deal with such crappy customer service, one of the main reasons I put my two weeks notice in last week. I worked at my local Rue 21 for 8 months as an associate and then was promoted to assistant manager. I have been working as an assistant manager for over a year and I cannot begin to tell you the amount of crap employees go through. The company is horrid. This could be partially the reason you were treated so badly. I know there were days that I got chewed out for stupid reasons and was irritated the rest of the day. Is this an excuse to treat people badly? HECK NO. But it happens. 6 months after my promotion, I was working closer with my store manager. I caught her stealing money from the registers at the end of the night and using it for her own personal reasons (starbucks, pizza, etc). So I started to keep track of it on paper--when I audited the drawer and it was over, did she close it out even later that night. Also, she would be there way before anyone else got there and would stay late putting in around 70 hours per week but never getting anything done. She claimed she was working on stock. So I started keeping track of how many boxes we had when she stepped back there and how many were left after she was gone. She would get maybe 2 boxes done in 12 hours time. Something was wrong. Me and the 2 other assistants went to our District Manager and told her what was going on. We were told they would look into it. Months passed by and nothing happened. Then it got to the point where she was trying to get associates to steal. On top of all of this, she was the rudest most bitter woman on the planet. She would yell at employees on the sales floor for all the customers to hear. She cursed at us and would threaten you for not making fragrance goals. One day, she scheduled me "off" so I went home for the weekend (which is 5 hours away). My other manager then called me saying she wanted me to come in and work stock. I told her to tell the store manager I could not do that because I was out of town. The manager then called me back SCREAMING at me for not coming in on my day off. This pushed my last button. I said screw the DM and I went to our Regional Manager, our Loss Prevention Manager and Human Resources with a LIST of complaints. A hostile work environment is a serious matter. 3 months later, nothing has happened and I submitted my two weeks notice. This company is AWFUL. They walk all over you, take you for granted, full of negativity and down right pathetic. Not to mention, they let the store managers treat everyone like crap--heck and steal. I dreaded coming to work every day just because she was so horrible to me and the other managers. I got to see all of the flaws in this company by working in management. I am surprised this company has held this long and I won't be surprised when it goes down hill fast. Absolutely awful.

• Au
    Audri&Bella Nov 12, 2012

Hey everyone!I was going to submit an application to Rue 21 to apply for holiday help but I will not anymore after hearing about how bad it is working there.
    I was in there today with a friend and she bought some sweaters that she thought were on sale (I can't remember what the sign said) but when she checked out, the store associate said that they aren't on sale.My friend told her about the sign and the associate told her that she knows it's confusing and false advertising but the manager wants it that way.The store associate also said something about that she doesn't get paid to think just enforce rules whether they are right or not.I would not want to work like that especially for minimum wage pay.

• Bl
    blemon Nov 19, 2012

Hello every one i totally agree..rue 21 is turning out to be the worst store ever .I had a coupon so i decided to shop there the is past weekend w my friends and our children .Keep in mind the mall is 45 minutes away from home, but i had gotten such good deals there i did not mind.I ask the is rude sales person ( not knowing she was thee store manger)for a basket, she became snappy withe me and said very loudly when I'm done withe the is others customer i will help you.I let the at go ...I began to look for show against thee wall in which was on sale ..ask an other's associate if they had mind getting them down...they said no problem ..and gave me thee correct size i needed.I didn't noticed we were being watched until more than one associate came to thee area in which we were.My friend and i were looking at the jewelry..and it was late evening so of course everything was a mess...they had looked at us as if we had made the is mess, while we were in thee store .My friend placed some items in thee bag to relieve her hands ( she was gonna Buy bag too) .my sister in law had our shoes we were going to purchase all over baby stroller i ask if something can be taken to front ..once again got the response ...When we get a chance..I heard one of them whisper " we were rude .I took my friend the is was worst service ever .The store manger Justine told be if i didn't like it i could lave thee store ..I had asked her why was she in my conversation withe my Friend...she told us everything in the store was her business..I had ask for a store Manger, She stated she was thee store manger .I ask for corporate number to speak withe district manger ...she told me she wasn't going to give me the at info...She told me i was being rude called for mall Security to escort me out of thee store ..and told mall security I can pay for my things thorough one of my friend but i was banned / not allowed back in thee store ...So we left.I give the is place Very poor Customer Service.I would not recommend anyone shop at thee Scranton / Dickinson City PA location...she has a problem withe people of color.Very Unhappy consumer

rue who? Dec 05, 2012

I work for rue just started working there couple months ago and I agree with the people who have worked there before. All they care about is selling the ### fragrance. And all my assistance managers as younger than I am. Its a shame how bad I realized this store is once I started working for them. I'm deffintly not appreciated on all the hard work I do and my hours are now being dropped because we just hired a bunch of new kids for seasonal. I agree, please don't waste your time on buying rue21 clothes itS not worth it, I don't even buy them. All my managers talk poorly on one another and the customers. To work for rue21 im ashamed because I'm nothing like the other employees.

RueCommunity Dec 05, 2012

hey everyone if you have compaints about rue21 come to ruecommunity.com and post them!!! They will be heard!

• Ju
    June buggggggg May 30, 2013

I'm just freaking mad because I just freaking bought a freaking phone case from rue freaking 21 and put it on my freaking phone and now it won't freaking come off it's freaking stuck and I'm pretty freaking pissed off about it too.

• Pr
    Proudsister Aug 19, 2013

Hey does anyone have any info about how much a full time assistant manager makes an hour in Swansea MA? Or any info on that specific store?

• Qu
    Quit Bitching Apr 29, 2014

I'm sorry but rue21 is seriously not THAT bad. You can't say you haven't been to Forever 21 or freaking Hollister and not treated the same way one time or another. The fact of the matter is, people who work retail don't discrimate on who they hate, they hate everyone. Don't make yourself look special. The people who shop are their stores, make their jobs living hell. And you can sit on your high horse and say "Well if you hate it so much, get a new job". Some of us in retail are working 2 maybe 3 jobs at a time, barely scraping by to pay bills and make sure our kids get what they need. Some of us. Some of us are just ###. As for Rue21, y'all don't know all the facts on this company. If y'all knew what happened behind closed doors, maybe y'all would stop wasting y'all's time ### on a online forum and realize we are getting just as screwed as y'all are.

• Ms
    msc2014 May 11, 2014

I have been an Associate at my local Rue 21 for the past 8 months. When I started working here, I absolutely loved it. I was available to work all hours. I was NEVER late, missed a day or even called in. I was praised all the time for the type of employee I am. But, when I was there for about 6 1/2 months, I put in my first request for a weekend off and my treatment by my manager changed immediately. I would walk in on her gossiping about me. I would catch her rolling her eyes, or making faces towards me while talking to other employees. I was confused as to why she was doing this to me when I have busted my butt for this company. But, I should have known. The whole entire 8 months I was there, all my manager did was gossip about other employees to me. She would tell me all about their personal lives, tell me how she couldn't stand them and how she wished they would quit. She even told me that she just wished she could "clone me" and get rid of the rest of the staff. I busted my butt with fragrance. Went after every single person that went into our store. I was the #1 fragrance seller the whole time I was in this store up til 6 months of being there. I gave up. My manager was NOT motivating. She belittled all of us, she would threaten us that if we didn't sell fragrance we would lose our hours and she would hire other associates because we are "easily replaceable". She would even come up to the store when she was not scheduled to work and stare us down literally scaring me and other employees that were working. My manager also talked terribly about other Rue 21's in our district. Always belittling the other store employees and even our district manager. My manager was good at two things - Lying and gossiping. The team I worked with is full of great people. People who literally bust their butts to sell fragrance so my manager can look good and get her bonuses. THE MANAGER CARES ABOUT NO ONE BUT HERSELF. I got FED UP working here and having to feel like I was walking into a battle ground when I was going to work here. I will never ever, walk back into this store. And, I will make sure that everyone knows about the way this store treats people. I was promised a promotion my second month working here, and reminded of it 3 times after I was offered it. I was supposed to get it after the holidays, so I was promised. But once the holidays got here, not a thing was mentioned again about my promotion. The manager only likes people who do whatever she says, when she says it and how she wants it to be done. Multiple customers have even called her out on her poor attitude and told her that she shouldn't be working if she is going to act that way. She also talks about 99% of the customers who come in there. Also, my manager would even make me and the other employees send in great comments about our store acting like we were customers so we would look good to our district manager (that she hates). She also would try to force us to purchase fragrance if we weren't making our day and go return it to other stores in our district the next day so it wouldn't effect us. I don't know how other Rue 21's operate, I hope not similar to the one I have been working at. I put in my 2 weeks notice 2 weeks ago and my last day was this past Thursday. When I left another employee informed me that my manager said "Good Riddance" to me, but yet she hugged me and begged me not to leave as I was quitting. I hope and pray that the other employees I worked with realize that they deserve more than the treatment this store and the manager gives.

• Un
    Unknown201 Nov 26, 2014

I currently work for rue21 and they treat their employees like total crap. We have a snow storm going on and I couldn't get to work because of
    Travel conditions . When I spoke with my dm all she said was is you're store going to be ready for tomorrow. Granted it is the day before thanksgiving and we open at 6pm on thanksgiving, I still believe our safety is more important than anything. They do not care if you get killed on your way to work all they care about it getting stock done and setting promos. Absolutely insane!

• Id
    IdontknowwhyImhere Mar 09, 2016

I love Rue21. It's where I normally shop for all of my clothes, and I shop a lot. However, I do most of the shopping online. Anytime I go into a Rue21 store, the workers are normally rude. Some of them have been just fine, but sometimes they are just plain rude and don't care. Sometimes, the workers sit there and talk to each other forever when I'm checking out. Like... I have somewhere to be! Stop talking and let me check out!! Not only that, but the prices are always messed up in stores, especially for the clearance section. The sign will say one thing, but the actual prices are something completely different. Some of the tags are without a sale tag, so I never know the price. And sometimes, the sale price on the tag is the wrong price. I always have to make sure the prices are what they say they are when I check out, because a lot of the items end up being more expensive than the sale price says.
    Typically, I only shop online. The online store is great, and the prices are always the right ones. The shipping is too expensive though. But they do have a day or two about once every two weeks where the shipping prices are dropped a lot. Kinda disappointed that you can only return things within 30 days of purchase though... but at least they clearly tell you that on the receipt.
    Rue21 stores really are disappointing when you try to go into them and buy things, but overall their clothes are good quality clothes. The online store is much better than actually going into the store.

SamR632 Aug 21, 2018

I walked into rue21 I smiled at one of the ladies working she gave me a dirty look! I wasn't greeted either. I don't appreciate getting looks when I first walk in a store.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices