United Steel Building Complaints & Reviews

United Steel BuildingTakes Your Money..... Then nothing

Received a phone call at 6am in the morning after inquiring about a steel building. Was told they have a distributor going out of business and have a building in stock for a reduced price. Not knowing prices on any buildings I was told that this would be a steel of a deal and agreed to go ahead. Received an email with their sales contract that was barley legible and did notice that page 2 was missing and inquired about it and was told it's just more boiler plate standard stuff. I insisted that the second page be sent and after signing on continued to insist. I have never received a second page to which they refer to on a paragraph by paragraph basis when it suits them. Bottom line they got into my credit card before I could stop them and any calls to them end up with dead silence or if I call from another phone I am put through to someone's voice mail with no return calls ever. THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO MORALS OR SENSE OF HONESTY AND INTEGRITY and are DOWNRIGHT CRIMINALS IN THE WAY THEY DO BUSINESS... IS THIS THE WAY AMERICA IS HEADED?

• Cl
    CliffC1 Dec 07, 2010

I filled out a web inquiry this week and got a call from the same SOB telling me the same exact story about a distributor going out of business due to a forced medical retirement. The SOB wouldn't listen to me at all, all I wanted was a quote for a freakin building to my specs. He wanted to know my budget, etc. so he can try to manipulate me, I wouldn't go for giving him info he didn't need and he hung up on me. These people are crooks on the prowl, DO NOT WASTE your time!!! BEWARE!

United Steel BuildingTook Money did not recieve building

I have paid this company a large amount of money and was PROMISED a building. I have called and left messages, now the number has been disconnected. I would like to know what action I can take to get my money back.
Thank you for any assistance...

Burned in SC Sep 07, 2010

Go to:
    unitedsteelbuildingscam.webs.com
    for more info and updates
    Please sign the guestbook and provide some basic info for others. Thanks.

Resolved United Steel BuildingTook money and got no building

Initial Quote was not the end qoute witch was much higher. Gave them final payment to begin construction in July 2009 and have not heard from them since. Tried several times to call them with no return calls and did not receive any letters from them for any reason for the delay. My building permit runs out next month and I just want my money back because I do not trust the company in any way!!!

Resolved United Steel BuildingPhone Harassment

I received so many calls the last two or three months from [protected]. This number is to United Steel in the Fort Lauderdale Florida area.

I made a mistake of filling out an on-line form for a free estimate approx. Nov 2009, and have been harassed by telephone ever since. They have an extremely aggressive sales staff. A building just the size I am looking for is ready for a small deposit. They can deliver in six months if I like with a small 25% deposit.

Just this morning I received a call at 11:00am, and two more at 11:02am. This is ever couple days or so. I am so glass I found this web page and noticed similar problems. Money was never sent to them, thank GOD.

• Mi
    Mike in Austin Mar 27, 2010

Two years ago I called these guys because I was in the market for a building and spoke to someone who gave me a high pressure sales pitch. Not being experienced with metal buildings it still sounded too good to be true. I finally backed out (no money paid) and went with a site built barn instead. Told them I had already built another building and that I was no longer in the market. Thought that I wouldn't hear from them again. I was so wrong.

About 6 months later they started calling every day. When I told them to stop calling, they started calling twice a day. They stopped for a while because I threatened to sue for harassment. Then they started calling at 7:00am on Saturday mornings. Imagine how I felt about that.

Recently I had a shouting match with one of their loser phone reps and yelled "hang up" at him for 2 minutes before he finally gave up.

This morning they called at 10am.

How does one get them to stop without filing a suit?

-Mike

• Je
    Jeffsyardcare Mar 28, 2010

Call the Police department and make a phone harassment complaint with them. Where you live first. Give the Officer the information as to how to reach these loosers. If they do not do anything, call the PD in their home town. Phone harassment is a CRIME.

Jeff Parshall Greene Maine

• Ju
    junglecat Dec 14, 2010

I also filled out an on line form for an estimate - high pressure sale, buy today for deal, now they call occasionally, but tonight they called at 9:30 and blew a whistle in my ear after asking for me by name. I tried calling back and they hung up on me. What to do -police?

Resolved United Steel Building — Failure to deliver with no refund

We were rushed to sign a contract to take advantage of a quote without being told by signing said contract...

United Steel Buildingscam, fraud

UPDATE...

Do not rely on BBB to verify if a business is reputable. If USB is any indicator... BBB ratings are way off. My negative complaint actually improved USB's rating. Dozens of unsettled complaints and rating improves?

BBB has also been made aware of questionable practices, current litigation, and other ongoing activities but has not listed those on website.

If you are considering United Steel Building ...BEWARE...you may never see your money again. The complaints posted speak for themselves.

• Do
    doug scott Jan 05, 2010

Has anyone who gave these people money actuly got there building? I also have gave them 11, 000 deposit and can't get them to return my calls.

Marcus Whitfield Feb 03, 2010

There is a reporter in Florida who is chasing these guys! Eme with THE SCOOP has apparently made some progress with getting money back for some people. She is also pursuing the individuals WILLIAM KNOTE, HOWARD ZIMMMERMAN, and others for Fraud under the FDUPTA laws. These guys need to go to jail. I was told they are currently operating another metal building company called SUPERSTEEL! Stay away from these terrible people! Here is a link to THE SCOOP http://www.v1-p.com/unitedsteel.html These guys, along with their attorney Jeffrey Berlowitz, have been deceiving folks for more than two years. I originally contracted to purchase a $37, 000 building in February of 2008 and immediately made a deposit of $15, 000 (more than required). A year later, I was still trying to take delivery of the building, and they sued me giving no legitimate reason for the lawsuit! It was their attempt to use the Broward County courts to "WIN BY DEFAULT". I am in Texas, so I was forced to hire a Florida Attorney for another $5, 000 who managed to get the case DISMISSED, but getting a building or even some portion of my deposit back never happened. I have heard that almost 50 people were victims of this scam and the Florida Attorney General Office has still not opened an "Official Investigation" as of Feb. 2nd

Resolved United Steel Buildingtook money, didn't deliver building

BEWARE: UNITED STEEL BUILDING

Do not conduct business with United Steel Building. This company will take your money, and not provide any satisfactory goods or services.

I attempted to purchase a building from United Steel Building about a year ago. I sent them a set of drawings and specifications, and they sent me a price quote for this building. I paid them the required deposit of $8, 585.46 so they would provide me the final engineering drawings for the building. Since that time, I have only received a completely useless set of drawings for a building which cannot physically be built. The plans are full of obvious mistakes. For example, the measurements are inconsistent from page to page (sometimes even on the same page).

United Steel Building has requested that I pay more money because they say they bid the job wrong. I have tried to resolve this with them to no avail. At this point, United Steel Building will not return my deposit; they will not supply me with working engineering drawings, nor will they deliver the building they bid, at the price they bid it.

They have also tried to charge me an additional $5, 400 for canceling the job, which I have not done.

I live in the state of Hawaii and short of going to court in Florida (the home state of the company) I have no recourse.

I have called the Florida State Attorney General, Better Business Bureau and the Fort Lauderdale Sheriff’s office. None of these agencies were of any help.

The company’s information:

United Steel Building
2700 West Cypress Creek Rd
Ft Lauderdale, Florida, 33309

Phone: [protected]
Fax: [protected]

Burned in SC Apr 11, 2009

Dave- Sorry for your troubles, the same thing happened to me and dozens of others. Please contact me. My info is in your message board.

chris mc from nc Oct 29, 2009

At least Im not as big idiot as thought seems lots of others have been scamed.We sent 7500 to start and recieved as set of totaly useless drawings.Then was told to make changes and send back.Then asked to send another $10, 000 for half down and building would be started and shipped.After 2 months we finally got thru to someone.Was told building couldn't be shipped because we didnt sign some paper giving permission to start.Stupid me I thought a check for 10 grand was permission.
    After singing all documents we where told nothing would be shipped without the other half of cost.Unforfunately this is where we started to realy investigate these people and found this site.I called them and said I would hand deliver check and follow my building back to NC.Was then told they shipp from another state.My banker called and told them he would hand deliver a certified check to the driver when building was delivered.Again a no shipping till paid in full.
    we have sence contacted state attourney general, and comissioner of consumer affairs.What did we get in return"Sorry nothing we can do"

Chris M NC

MASK MARRODO Nov 03, 2009

Contact FBI ICU3 unit file complaint Call IRS Call 5616747070 Yankee Boy stole your money call him that is his number. File theif by taking in your state Names Mr. WilliAM kNUTE AND mR. HOWARD ZIMMERMAN ARE THE GENTLEMEN THAT GOT YOU MONEY. new web site soon

• Da
    David Pop1111 Apr 03, 2010

I was ripped off $3500 by the crumbs at USB. Trust me...what comes around goes around. I feel so bad for all of you that have lost major amounts of money.

STEEL PRICE INCREASE
    FAKE PRINTS
    HIDING BEHIND FLORIDA'S LACK OF FRAUD LAWS
    ABSOLUTE ZERO PROFESSIONALISM
    JACK JACK JACK JACK...DO THINK ZIMMY BOY IS GONNA COVER YOUR ### WHEN IT ALL GOES DOWN?

GOLDEN RULE HUH?...UH...RE YOU SURE YOU KNOW WHAT THAT RULE ACTUALLY IS?

HAHAHAH
    DAVID AKA...'RAPED IN CT BY USB'
    EAST HAVEN, CT

Burned in SC Apr 04, 2010

I agree. When the sh*t hits the fan, these guys are going to scramble and hide. Every man for himself. I hope the authorities don't stop at Knote & Zimmerman. Rachlin, Podlas, Alder, and Ketabi should be nailed to the wall as well. Berlowitz should be never be allowed to practice law in any state, he's a rat too.

I can comprehend ripping people off for big money, its called greed. But why work for someone and rip people off for wages only? Do you think Jack and the others were part of a profit sharing scheme? Knowing Knote & Zimmerman, I'm sure the 'staff" at USB didn't get payed very well and probably got jammed up at the end.

AG should have issued a 'cease & desist' months ago. Next, seize Willy & Howards's house and holdings, sell 'em on the open market, and almost everyone could get their money back...with damages. The rest should be considered for fraud charges as well, not just assessories...they will claim "we were only employees" without a doubt.

United Steel Building — Intentional Misinformation

I was pricing buildings in November 08. United Steel Buiding contacted me stating that they had a building...

United Steel Building — Fraud

BEWARE!!! This company will take your money and give you nothing of value. Same as the other...

Resolved United Steel BuildingFalse Advertising

United Steel Buildings advertised the could diliver a building in 5 weeks. I have been waiting for 5 months. But for $5, 000 more they can delever it much earler.

• Ho
    hot in the city Aug 31, 2009

I had to wait 7 months before I got part of my order now its been 5 weeks and still waiting for the rest of the building so I can finish it. Was told it the rest of the order would arrive a week after the bulk of the building was delivered to me and paid for. They are very rude on the phone and will not return my calls anymore. Wish I would of read these complaints sooner as I surly would have found another company to deal with and they lie alot

Resolved United Steel BuildingBad Business Practices/Fraud

We saw the bad publicity and were thinking of using another company but Jack Racklin convinced us that it was just one unhappy customer out of 2000 happy ones. Well now we have given them $35000 dollars on a promise that we could inspect our merchandise before it was exported to the Bahamas and if all was not there we didn't have to pay until it was.
Imagine our surprise when immediately after they received a $25, 000 payment to start fabrication that we received an email from Jack stating that oh by the way export has to be paid in full before fabrication can begin. And yes you have 5 days to inspect the merchandise but that is after United Steel has 100% of their money so they can leave you hanging.
He then turned us over to Sue who says fabrication has not begun because they have not received full payment and we were promised our building by the end of September.
Now they say we have nothing in writing to confirm their promises and that if we cancel the contract they keep the money, even though we have received nothing but some details and elevations that could have been copied out of a book somewhere. There is not even a plan view of the building on the plans. Run from United Steel, they are very deceiptful people.

charles thomas Jan 13, 2009

RUN!! RUN!!! RUN!!! from Jack Racklin and any promise that might come out off his mouth AND his (supposed) supervisor, Melinda. I ordered a building that "was already built" except for the panels, that somebody ordered and didnt pick up. What a sucker I was. At the wonderful price of 5500.00 I could get a 20 x 30 x 10 metal building. The approval drawings were an up front charge of 1800.00. No problem, or so I thought. AFTER they get the approval drawings and the 1800 they contact me and say I HAVE TO HAVE a building with a 110 MPH wind load capacity. They say I have to have a letter from the county I live in to prove otherwise. We have no building codes for the county I live in. They know there isn't an engineer on the planet earth that will stick his neck on the line for this. I told them to prove to me I had to have it and where it was in the building code requirements on the website that the eng. dept. told me to send them. They said it was my responsibility to prove to them. First of all, I didn't ask for an upgrade, second, its not required, and third I signed the approval drawings for the building I wanted. I asked for my down payment (1800.00) back and they said it was nonrefundable. Now I ask you...IS THIS A SCAM OR What???? Like I said at the beginning...RUN!!! RUN!!! RUN!!! from united steel building. How dare they tarnish Dan Marino's good name with their fraudulent practices.

Burned in SC Sep 09, 2009

Have you made any progress? I have yet to hear of a complaintant receiving a building or attaining some satisfaction from USB.

• Ro
    roaddog Dec 29, 2009

I think they went under with their 500 buildings behind work load. Or so i was told by Melissa back in Augest. Their website is down and me and my lawyer must be on thier black list because we haven't been able to reach anybody since mid October...

• Ve
    Vegasjoe Dec 31, 2009

I seem to be in the proverbial boat without a paddle. I too am waiting for delivery on a building. I can't locate anyone in the company. I had a friend visit thier offices only to find them vacant. I checked with the Florida courts and can't find a bankrupcy filing. If you look on the Florida Secretary of State website you will find MORDECAI BUDNER listed as a corporate officer/contact person. His phone number is 561-482-3499 (listed on the website). You will also find WILLIAM KNOTE as another of the owner/officers. Good luck.

• Js
    jstarr Jan 06, 2010

Has anyone recieved a call from USB saying they are going into bankruptcy and if you would still like to have your building finised?

Marcus Whitfield Feb 03, 2010

There is a reporter in Florida who is chasing these guys! Eme with THE SCOOP has apparently made some progress with getting money back for some people. She is also pursuing the individuals WILLIAM KNOTE, HOWARD ZIMMMERMAN, and others for Fraud under the FDUPTA laws. These guys need to go to jail. I was told they are currently operating another metal building company called SUPERSTEEL! Stay away from these terrible people! Here is a link to THE SCOOP http://www.v1-p.com/unitedsteel.html These guys, along with their attorney Jeffrey Berlowitz, have been deceiving folks for more than two years. I originally contracted to purchase a $37, 000 building in February of 2008 and immediately made a deposit of $15, 000 (more than required). A year later, I was still trying to take delivery of the building, and they sued me giving no legitimate reason for the lawsuit! It was their attempt to use the Broward County courts to "WIN BY DEFAULT". I am in Texas, so I was forced to hire a Florida Attorney for another $5, 000 who managed to get the case DISMISSED, but getting a building or even some portion of my deposit back never happened. I have heard that almost 50 people were victims of this scam and the Florida Attorney General Office has still not opened an "Official Investigation" as of today.

• St
    steel building guy Jun 07, 2010

As a reputable and established metal building supplier for over 15 years with NO complaints, my heart goes out to all those who were scammed by these people. I have been warning prospects about this company for a very long time. Apparantly(I have seen many of their quotations) they have been selling buildings well below cost and then "bumping" the customer with change orders after the sale. It is amazing in this day and age that customers would not first research the company's reputation before sending a check. In this case it wouldn't really take much. Yes, I too heard about their latest venture. I hope they nail these telegangsters to the wall and make an example of them.

Burned in SC Jun 09, 2010

At the time most people were scammed, BBB had less than a dozen complaints over a two year period. In addition BBB gave them a "B" rating.

BBB is completely unreliable. The site still has incorrect and misleading info after numerous attempts to have them correct listing.

The price quoted was in-line with other estimates, no red flag there. After dealing with a half dozen metal building outfits; Heritage, Ceco, Nucor, Rockford, USB...
    All played games and for the most part showed signs of being untrustworthy or unreliable. Seems to be part of the deal.
    The key is to get a contractor to commit to a price for the building and put him on the hook. If the supplier(or contractor) is local you have recourse. Otherwise, you are S O L.

United Steel Building — United Steel Building Scam United Steel Bad Business Practices - Charge You a LOT MORE than initial 'Quote' or YOU LOSE ALL!!!

I PAID IN FULL! After I Paid in Full and Was Waiting for Delivery of My Building I Received a BILL For a %35...