Tampa Bay Surgery Center Complaints & Reviews

Tampa Bay Surgery CenterSurgical experience at dale mabry location

My husband was scheduled for shoulder surgery at the Tampa Bay Surgery Center on Dale Mabry. We arrived on time to find that the office was not opened yet. They unlocked the doors shortly after but only called my husband back 15 minutes before they were ready to start. I was told to wait in the lobby while he changed and then I would be brought back to see him before he was taken in. 20 minutes later, I overhear the staff discussing that my husband is already in surgery! I was never given a chance to see him before he went in for a major procedure.

I was then told that they have a schedule to adhere to and that that is their priority. The nurse actually said that to me! I asked how long the procedure would take as they never told me he had been taken back and I was told he was almost done and that they would bring me back when he was in recovery so I could be there when he woke up. They said between 5-10 minutes tops.

15 minutes later they still hadn't called me, I went up and checked and was told that that isn't their policy and I could see him when I pulled the car around to pick him up. I insisted that they bring me to him immediately and they did.

The nurse handling his care was extremely rude to me and my husband was not able to keep his eyes open as she attempted to dress him and load him in the car insisting he would be fine by the time we got home. I had some post op questions and she told me to read the instructions she gave me and I told her she never gave any paperwork. She jerked my husband around in the wheelchair and took him back inside where she found the paperwork she was supposed to have given me but in her haste to shove us out the door, forgot. Also, her instructions to manage his pain where absolutely incorrect and had I listened to her, my husband would have suffered immensely due to her incompetence.

Our surgeon- Dr. Frederick McClimans at Tampa Bay Bone and Joint Center- was outstanding and I would highly recommend him however be aware that this surgery center is 100% focused on keeping to their schedule and YOU have to advocate for your loved one, because they won't.

Tampa Bay Surgery CenterPoor Service

DO NOT USE Tampa Bay Surgery Center!!!

The worst experience Ever!!! They do not know up from down, which is really scary when you are thinking about getting surgery done here! They were rude, inefficient, and late. I had to tell them why I was there 3 times! It made me so uncomfortable that I left. I am SO glad that I did. I went to another surgery facility about 3 months later and was treated much better. It's SO important to have trust in the facility and the people that your surgeon uses. DO not go here!

• Ni
    Nikki Mar 03, 2008

I strongly disagree!!! With all due respect the person above never even had the surgery, therefore has no right to judge a nonexistent experience. I was treated with the upmost respect, with a feeling of caring and compassion. My surgeon was very knowledgeable and informative and my after care was impeccable. They followed up with my progress, and were very meticulous with my treatment plan.

marie Jun 14, 2008

I have had surgery at Tampa Bay Surgery Center at both of their locations, and the care was of the highest calliber. The experience of surgery can be a frightening thing, but they went above and beyond the "call of duty" to make me confortable, and address any concerns I had. I would recommend this surgery center to anyone!!

Sandie Nov 10, 2008

For six yeaers I received pain management treatment at the surgical center and
    the care was outstanding. Since then, my doctor has been doing procedures in
    his office, no caudal blocks, no cervical blocks and just 8 facet injections under an
    8 minute anesthesia and I was lifted off the "sugical" table and waking up as I was
    "plopped" into a wheel chair, a 1/2 cup of hot soda shoved in my hand and wheeled
    into a waiting room for my relative to pick me up. There is no after care, no after care instructions, no recovery area and I felt I had been treated in a back room garage. I long for the kind of care I received at the Tampa Bay Surgical Center and am now in the process of looking for a new doctor.

• Mi
    Michele Geller Feb 14, 2009

Excellent...is the word I'd use to describe them. From my Doctor, to the surgical area care, to the therapy, - all areas are professional, knowledgable, and interested. I do not hesitate to recommend them. You could not hope for better care and attention. I am so pleased and thankful for my wonderful recovery.

• Se
    Seminole Girl Nov 08, 2010

I have had three procedures done there over the past two years and have been extremely happy with the care I received at the center. ALL of the staff were very caring and attentive.
    I would highly recommend them!

• Bi
    bigpoppa366 Apr 15, 2011

I also disagree. From working in surgery, the reason why you are asked what you're there for by every person you come in contact with is for your safety. Everyone there knows what you are having done. I think that you would rather have that double, triple, quadruple check occur than to have the wrong prcedure done on you. The wait time is no different from a doctor's office. Your surgeon is giving the best care they can to the other patients there and to the one in the OR before you. I'm sure you would not want him to rush through your surgery and make mistakes just so he can get to the next impatient patient.

• Ha
    Happy mommy2013 Oct 17, 2013

My husband and I had our son circumcised yesterday at the Tampa Bay Surgery Center. We were very impressed. They were so kind, courteous, punctual, and clean! They called the next day to ask how our baby was doing. All in all, we were extremely satisfied with our experience and we highly recommend the staff and doctors at the Tampa Bay Surgery Center!

• Ju
    Judi Keith Aug 24, 2014

I also had a bad experience at Tampa Bay Surgery Center. My son had surgery there in October, 2013. After I paid them in advance for the use of the surgery center (surgeon and anesthesiologist also paid separately in advance) both the surgeon and Tampa Bay Surgery Center each charged an additional fee for an additional procedure they claimed to have completed while my son was in surgery. No one told me at the time any additional procedure had been performed. The surgeon and Tampa Bay Surgery Center basically charged twice as much as I had already paid. My insurer advised me this is essentially unethical and they will not pay it either. So I disputed the charges with both the surgeon and the surgery center. The surgeon agreed to remove the additional charge entirely, but Tampa Bay Surgery Center has been billing me $425 for use of the surgery center during the second procedure. This, after I had already paid them $650 in advance for a 1 hour procedure. I'd like to know what the $425 covers. They have not been able to answer that. I sent them a certified letter in January explaining why I would not pay. They have ignored that and my bill has been sent to Transworld Systems, Inc. for collections. Has anyone else had such a negative experience with Tampa Bay Surgery Center? I'm surprised at all the positive feedback after what I experienced.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices