Southern Magazine Promotions Complaints & Reviews

Southern Magazine Promotions — FRAUD AND SCAMMED

I received a call in December 2008. I told the employee i wanted off the list and didnt want to purchase any...

Southern Magazine PromotionsTried to cancel

I too had received a call from from Southern Magazine Promotions. When I answered the phone, they said that I had been entered into a drawing by one of my credit card companies and that I won a free vacation and three magazines subscriptions. The only thing was that I had to pay for the fourth one. By the end of the phone call, I had signed up for six magazines and was paying $50 a month for 20 months. Of course I didn't do the math and was caught off guard. When I hung up the phone, I had realized that I just signed up for a $1000.00 magazine subscription. I called them back from my caller ID and said that I wanted to cancel the order that I just put in. I was also told that I could not cancel my order. I have been trying to cancel and cancel but to no avail. I will gladly pay the two months that I know owe, but would appreciate anything help that I can get to get this cancelled. So, I looked up their name on Google and found a link with a letter describing a similar situation listed on your website. I was able to get the whole canceled through the pushiness of my father.

I just wanted to add a complaint to let people know that they are out there again, and preying on anyone they get a hold of. They are fast talkers and will tell anything you want to hear, and then ask for a credit card number. I was gullible to fall for it, so I wanted to try help warn other consumers.

2 Responses
      Steady Jun 19, 2009

I got sucked into the free vacatoin thing too but i took actions to get all of my money back this is what i did:

1st. I filed a police report (they more then likely can't do anything but you can use the info for your bank)

2nd. I went to my bank and had them fill out papers for fraud, they did an investigation and i also gave them a copy of the police report.

3rd. I ended up gettin all my money back in less then a week

So see there are ways to cancell you subscription and still get all your money back. These people need to be stopped. All of their fast talking and promises are crap. So that is what i did hope it helps you all.

• La
      Laura Jun 01, 2009

Melissa,

I you happen to get this.. Please let me know how your dad managed to cancel this. Unfortunately my boyfriend fell for the same scam-- which, I never thought he would.. and I don't want him to have to pay so much.. Not only is it costly, he's getting all these magazines neither of us would pick or will read!

Southern Magazine Promotions — need customet names

hey if u have been scammed by this company n already have money out of your account n never recieved...

Southern Magazine Promotions — Scam

I get this call form a nice lady named Carrie, She says that I am a finalist in a free vacation contest. She...

Southern Magazine PromotionsFRAUD

SOURTHERN MAGAZINE PROMOTIONS****IS FRAUD****
    ALSO KNOWN AS **CRC** or **READERS RESOURCE CENTER**

Some lady named: CARY/CARRIE/CARRY *I am not for sure how she spelled it, but she called me saying to me that I was selected to be one of the finalist for a drawling, all I had a to is ver. My credit card number and then I would go on into the next drawling, then she asked me if, I would like a magazine I said no I do not want any magazines or my card to be used for any other purchase, I told her if anything shows up on my bill I will dispute it and I did put a hold on my card that day cause something just did not seem right to me after the phone call was over... she used a phone number which is based out of *GA* I tried to call her back and talk to her but all it was a message I was getting saying hi you have reached my desk this is carry leave a message.. Her number is #[protected], which she never answered but this is how it all started... they did send me a Dispute Letter which I am fuling out right now as I am leaving this on here, I did Dispute this with my credit card company as well, but the company now is trying to take me to collections just because I closed down my credit card and changed my number.. I did make copy's of all the paper work that was sent to me, that I will be sending back to them.. I hope that they catch this company or who every they might be and shut them down

1 Response
      • De
        dee May 25, 2009

Stewart G Carswell III, President. Phone Number: [protected]. [protected]. Fax Number: [protected]. BBB Accreditation: This business is a BBB A+ : Emailed the BBB about the rating also.!!!
        THANK GOODNESS MY BANKING INSTITUTION ISSUED NEW CREDIT CARD NUMBERS AND THEY COULD NO LONGER USE IT. THEY WANTED MY NEW ONE AND I SAID NO I WOULD PAY CASH . THIS COMPANY CALLED ME ONCE AND TWICE A WEEK AT HOME AT WORK AFTER THAT WANTING PAYMENT THAT WAS NOT DUE. I TOLD THEM IF I GET ONE MORE CALL, JUST CANCEL MY SUBSCRIPTION. NO MORE CALLS RECEIVED, JUST WISH I HAD SAID CANCEL IT ALL TOGETHER AT THE TIME. GOT A CALL WANTING TO VERIFY MY CREDIT CARD AND IT BEGAN WITH "5" TOLD THEM TO READ IT TO ME, SAID COULDN'T OVER PHONE BY LAW, BUT WANTED ME TO READ IT OVER THE PHONE. WHAT CRAP.

Southern Magazine PromotionsFraud and Lies

My son was sucked into a scam by this company. They called him about a vacation. That's literally all he remembers about the phone call. He knows they asked a bunch of questions but wasn't sure what. then all the sudden all these magazines start showing up. We live in a small town so even though the mailing address was WRONG, the magazines still ended up in my box. I didn't know what was goin on. It was my son's name but I know he would never order "Time" or "Handyman. He was called by the company today and was told what I've read in several stories, about how he agreed and they have verification and stuff and that he better pay or they will ruin his credit. (By the way, my son is 19) He told them he would have me call and then he hung up. I called them back and asked to listen to the verification tape. They were right when they said it was his voice. But something was off. First a computer would ask him a question, then a lady would come on. My son's voice would be garbled, and then a lady would repeat the answers. (or her version of the answers) He had pauses before some answers and no pause for others. There is no way this was an actual conversation. It's cut and pasted. The lady asked me what I was going to do and I told her I would call my son and visit with him. But we are gonna let them know that we will just turn this over to the Better Business Bureau and that I've found large numbers of complaints of this company with fraudulant claims. If needed, I'm sure a lawyer will be able to get this taken care of. We were some of the lucky ones. They didn't get our address right or the credit card number right. So they have no way to charge him. As for his credit. I don't think so!!!

4 Responses

• Wo
          worried, thank you Feb 05, 2009

I am nervous now, I did not give them my information but I did say that I would call back after I considered the offer. But they had my address on file, so is it possible they have my credit card information too. I called the number back but received a busy signal. If you get the second call does that mean you confirmed the order in the first call?

anonymous Aug 23, 2008

I had someone call me on my cell phone! I'm 18, I have no idea how they got this information, and they said something about a trip, then she said that she was billing me for a magazine and I said, well wait, no no no, if I have to pay for something, I don't want it. She notified me that someone from billing would contact me. Two minutes later, I receive a phone call from her supervisor asking me what the problem was. I told her, that I didn't want to the magazines or anything because I have to pay. She very rudely then said, "Why did you give her verification and authorization then?" (While being on the phone, she asked if such and such was my address and I said, "well yes". AGAIN, this was on my cell phone and I assumed it was something vitally important for a deposit I had just made. They also claimed that I won because I am a visa credit card holder. I said yes but in all actuality I'm not. The supervisor hung up the phone as soon as I said that I didn't want anything and said it was going to be billed anyway. They didn't ask for my credit card information, so I'm assuming that they can't do anything. I might be wrong, can someone tell me what to do, so they DONT begin billing me?

• Er
          Erin Jul 08, 2008

This company pulled the same crap on me. They promised me a free vacation and I never recieved one. Fortunatly for me my bank caught this company trying to access my account and blocked them. I then changed my credit card number so they can never charge me. They keep calling from all kinds of different numbers that I keep blocking on my phone. I called them a few days after they had first tricked me and told them I wanted to cancel. Then when I called a few months ago they said they had no record of me trying to cancel my subscription. Of course they wouldn't! This company is as sleezy as they come and I will never pay them anything.

Southern Magazine Promotionsdon't take their crap!!!

holy crap, these guys are persistent. thanks everyone for posting the crap these horrible people are pulling. i was so close to giving them my debit card number, but i told them to call me back so i could do a little research and this is the only sight that let me know it was a scam. thanks again everyone, you all really just helped me out more than you know.

2 Responses

• Sh
            shay Jul 03, 2008

damn i wish i would have done the reasearch before i bought the ### but i really like the selsctions of magazines that i was subscribed and it really is cheaper that gettig the magazine from a local store plus it shows up at my mailing address. i still have yet to recieve a vacation package.

Southern Magazine PromotionsDo not be taken in...

I was dumb enough to subscribe to SMP for the same deal, knowing that i would be moving overseas soon. They assured me that i was able to receive the magazines to an overseas address, and that all i had to do was to call back and change the address on the phone. What happened after i got the package was that they told me that they do not ship overseas and hence i was stuck. However, i managed to push for a refund after complaining to them about it. They told me to send a letter in, which i did, 1 mth later, still nothing. Only after speaking to the supervisor did i mange to get a refund immediately credited back into my acct. WTF...... if they could do it now, why put me through so much trouble in the first place?

Respond

Southern Magazine Promotions — Fraud & cheating!

I was promised a vacation package to Florida with an outstanding deal on 3-7 magazines. The order was placed...

Southern Magazine Promotions — Never give your credit card number!

I recently received a call from Bradley Evans and his supervisor, Melissa, from Southern Magazine Promotion...