Shleppers Moving and Storage Complaints & Reviews

Shleppers Moving and StorageGuaranteed Hourly Rates? Ha!

I made an appointment with Shleppers to move my 1 bedroom apartment furniture locally. I spoke with Chris Meimel, who was initially very nice and helpful and gave me a great rate of $95 an hour for the 31st of the month. He specifically told me this was the low rate because I was moving on the 31st and not the 1st. I received the estimate, inventory list and all documents in writing via email that outlined the pricing and hourly rate. I signed off on them, received a confirmation and printed my documents. When the time came- at the LAST minute, late on a Friday night, they had emailed me a quote / estimate for the identical service, except THIS time, the rate was raised to $140 an hour and the total estimate almost double. I did not agree to this! When I called to find out what this was about, I ended up on the phone with someone who was not in the least bit knowledgeable, that had informed me at the last minute that "the manager doesn't want to send the guys out for less than $140/hr." That was not the price WE AGREED to. When I asked for an explanation why, I received none, aside from him repeating the same sentence over again. He suggested it was because my move was on the 31st, when Chris told me the exact opposite thing about the pricing. Even if this was their error, they had already sent me the $95/hr the price in writing and should have done the right thing and honored it. When I offered proof, I was just stonewalled and they refused to keep our appointment that we had set up weeks ago, nor the price they gave me. Of course, neither Chris nor "the manager" was anywhere to be found when I asked to speak to them. None of my calls were returned after this either. This is a very shady way to do business, and nothing more than an attempt to bait and switch customers- hedge their bets that their customer has to move on a specific date with all their belongings packed, and will have no choice but to pay their jacked up price. The advertised "Guaranteed Hourly Rates" on their website is an outright falsehood. Would you trust a company who gives you an hourly rate in writing and then switches the price at the last minute? A company that lies, tries to cheat you and then dodges your calls? If you like people who do business this way, by all means, use Shleppers. I would strongly advise against it.

Shleppers Moving and StorageLies, no response, no service!

This is a complaint about Shleppers Moving and Storage, in New York, New York.

My wife and I recently used Shleppers to assist us in a move from Brooklyn to Jersey this past month. I had every expectation of the move going smoothly, as it did two years ago when I used Shleppers to move us from the Upper West Side to the Brooklyn address. As I was formerly a satisfied customer of Shleppers, I am quite shocked and upset about the experience I had during this recent move.

Their crew arrived on time and promptly began work. The move was going very well, in fact so well that the Shleppers Foreman mentioned to me that he was surprised it was going so fast (perhaps because I'm an expert packer by now). Before the move I had been told by the Shleppers Salesman that if the move was under the scheduled time of 5.5 hours for the crew, I would not be charged the full estimate I was given. Apparently their Foreman was quite aware of this policy as well, as the move soon came to a halt. I actually heard him tell his crew on two separate occasions to slow down, at one point screaming it at his crew down the stairs of my home in front of me. Selling a low estimate and then milking the move time is a very low end way to do business and easy for the client to see through; I'd recommend that Shleppers advise their associates against the practice.

Nonetheless I was determined to not be upset by the issue, nor was I upset by the constant bickering between their team. The Foreman decided early on that he hated one of the laborers, a fact he shared with everyone any chance he got. I was actually thinking in my mind of alternatives to finish the job with only three movers, in the event that one managed to kill the other. During the day I tried to keep everyone moving and happy, pitching in myself in moving the items and giving their movers two pieces of furniture to keep; one was a butchers block, the other was a wardrobe. Both pieces were less than two years old and the combined value was over $600. I then threw in a case of wine for them at that point as well. Once we arrived at my new home, I dealt with the bickering and tried to finish as quickly as possible. I thanked the Foreman for the job and handed him $100 in cash, instructing him to give each laborer $20 and keep $40 for himself.

The following morning on Sunday I received a phone call. It was from one of the moving crew, who wanted to know how much I had tipped them. I expressed surprise that he would actually be bold enough to call me. He informed me it was due to the crew's suspicion that the Foreman had kept some of their tip from them, as many Foremen in their company apparently do (his words, not mine). I told him that I had left $20 for him, to which he gave a long pause (just long enough to make me feel cheap and ungracious) and then said goodbye.

For about ten minutes it was a matter of shock to me that someone would actually call me early on a Sunday morning to question my generosity. The anger set in when I realized that the actual tip was in the neighborhood of $800, including the furniture and wine. An $800 tip on a $900 move should generate a call of thanks, not questioning whether or not there was more. I decided it was truly unacceptable when I looked at my cellphone and saw the same number had called me at 8:00pm the night before. This person clearly intended on calling until they reached me, to question how cheap I was. I decided to call Shleppers at that point to address the issue. I spoke with Ross in their dispatching office, who informed me that he would have their owner call me on the following Tuesday.

Tuesday came and went, as did Wednesday, Thursday and now Friday. No call. At that point I decided to write to the owner, more as an exercise to vent I suppose, rather than any hope that they would address this as a customer service issue. No response from the owner, their staff made it clear that I would not be hearing from her, as she ‘sometimes came to the office, but we don’t know when’ (their words, not mine). Either I was being lied to, or there was no leadership whatsoever regarding customer service with Shleppers, although I believe at this point that both scenarios are true.

Robert

• Tr
    tr0y Oct 21, 2009

a butcher's block and a wardrobe (although generous) are not a tip. it was your trash.

• Dd
    ddemarc Aug 02, 2011

Did you read that he already tipped them in cash? I had problems with them switching the hourly rate (that was IN WRITING), jacking up the price, then refusing to move me unless I paid the higher price. I would never recommend them either.

• So
    sonia n zory Oct 16, 2015

I also used shleooers for a move from california to new york, they were late they vrusedmost of my boxes, and most pictures were broken. They upped the price and didnt evn want to put the mirrow on my dresser that they took off. They gave me boxes that didnt belong to me and when i told him, he said keep them. So i told him to get them out of my house. I was bout 4 boxes short, all my bed linen, and my lamp shades missing, along with a vacuum, and the 4 boxes. All the rest was crushed and or missing. If you love ur belongings dont use shleepers n tell ur families not to use them. I dont know how they stay in business

• Av
    Avi B. Oct 04, 2016

Used Schleppers number of times and have been referring them for years, never had any issues.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices