Run Local Locksmith Complaints & Reviews

Run Local LocksmithPoor customer service, overcharge for services, scam

On April 24th, my husband locked his keys inside his Jeep. I called Run Local and got a quote of fifteen to get the technician out and fifty dollars max. They said they can have someone out in 15 minutes. I called PopALock and they said it will take 30-40minutes. I decided to go with Run Local because of their response time. That was a huge mistake. They took over an hour and a half to get to my husband then wanted to charge him $120 for the call. My husband has a Jeep Wrangler and it's not that hard to get into. My husband said that it was too much and the guy knocked it down to $80. Their customer service was terrible. We spoke to a Jordan who quoted us the price and then failed to disclose that it was $50 minimum not the entire price. He didn't even ask my husband where his Jeep was, he just assumed it was at our home address. They said someone came out to the house, but I was there and no one came to the door to even make sure it was the correct house and where was the Jeep. Then larger that day I called and was told that Jordan was the supervisor and that he would give me a call back. Hours went by and I called back. I then spoke to a woman whose name I believe was Jessica. She tried to placate me and tell me their policy which in no way occurred. She placed me on hold and said she was going to call the technician, when she came back, she was saying she spoke to him and then all of a sudden was saying hello, and then hung up. I immediately called back and asked for her but Ruthie told me she was out of the office which was strange considering I was just on the phone with her not even a minute ago. Ruthie was rude and hung up on me. I called her back and told her never to hung up on a customer again.

Run Local LocksmithUnethical / Illegal Practices

I am providing this information to make the fine citizens of Clarksville, TN and Ft. Campbell, Ky more aware of the unethical and illegal practices of RUN LOCAL LOCKSMITH (a Michigan-based company). I have worked as a licensed locksmith for 12 years in the Clarksville, TN area for a well-established locksmith company. Run Local Locksmith skirts the legal requirements of Tennessee's licensing requirements by being licensed in TN, but they contract UNLICENSED locksmiths to perform services for them in TN. -----> Hey folks... that is ILLEGAL !!! Many complaints of their "tactics" have been reported to us over the last 3 years after their potential customers call us to "get the job done right and ethically." They use a renowned technique of "bait and switch." Their advertised $15 service call is a JOKE !!! Many customers have told me that most vehicle unlocks start at that service call plus additional labor charges due to the type of vehicle (you're kidding me !!!). Example: their technician tells you that the $15 service call will cost you $115 total to unlock your vehicle. (They justify this extortion price because of the type of lock system that your vehicle has... Hello !!! That has no bearing on unlocking your car... If they were TRAINED AND LICENSED, they would know that is a crock !!! It is a way to dupe the customer based on the customer's lack of knowledge in the trade). Comparatively, a fair and reasonable rate to unlock a vehicle in our area is $40-$45 !!! The residential unlocking techniques they use are also a scam. They tell customers that you can't "pick" locks; that only happens in the movies. Really ???? That's why I successfully pick 90-95% of the residential locks I attempt. They take vise grips and rip the doorknob off of your house or apartment. Then, by the time they price the hardware replacement and labor, you have a bill in the $200-$300 range. Their automotive key-making prices are also extortion. B E W A R E !! B E W A R E

• Br
        Brian Matelic Mar 07, 2012

I'm a real estate broker and called them to do a lock change last week and tol them I couldn't be at the property. I was told to sign a credit auth and send it back to them. I did this as she told me the job would be about 100 or so dollars. I told the people to call me from the house to give me the price before it was done. They never called and today I go a charge on my credit card for 935.00 dollars to change 2 locks ... People this is a scam and we need to come together to stop this today...please contact me [protected] Brian Own It Realty Broker Michigan. When I called them the laughed at me on the phone and Jordan said this was very normal charges...look I have been in the real estate business for 20 years and have never seen anything like this!

• Run local Locksmith is a call center and hires independent contractors out to different geographical areas - I am in Colorado and was charged $155 to open a screen door that took about 2 minutes. When I called the 888 number to help me out with this I was told by Jordan the Manager that if I signed the receipt I was on the hook for it - I used a debit card and if it was a credit card, my bank would have done something - This is the worst company I have ever connected to - When a door is locked - the contractor has you over a barrel - I was told by Jordan - the manager - that I should not have signed the recept for payment - if we all did that none would get their needs met.

Run Local LocksmithHorrible Overall Experience

I'll try to keep this as brief and succinct as possible. It's a long story.

I needed a key made for my car because I lost it. I called Run Local and made an appointment for a technician to meet me at the car and make a new key. The technician was almost three hours late, and didn't call once. Once he got there, he broke my door in the process of making my key. (I didn't realize it was broken until after he left.) He gave me a key, and took my $180 in cash, for which he would not give me a receipt. The key would not start the car, or even let me into the car because the lock on the door was broken. I had to pay to have the car towed to a nearby dealership where I paid to have another key made. At this point, I'm out over 400 dollars, and I have to get into my car through the trunk.

I called Run Local to see what sort of solution they would propose to make this right for me and was transferred to Juan in the claims department. Juan suggested that he send a technician out to fix the door. I said okay. We made an appointment for the next Monday morning at 10 am. At 10:15 am on Monday morning, I hadn't heard anything from run-local, or the technician. I called Run Local to confirm that someone was on their way. The girl I spoke with gave me the technician's phone number and told me to call him and confirm myself. I called the technician and found that it was the same idiot who messed my door up in the first place. I was willing to look past this fact, but the idiot started yelling at me and telling me that I didn't know what I was talking about and that he didn't have a 10 am appointment scheduled.

I called Juan and told him what happened, at which point he admitted that this particular idiot (never got his name) is the only technician they have in Houston, and that if I wanted my door fixed, he'd be the one to do it. I refused to even speak to this incredibly rude and incompetent technician again, and asked what other options I might have. He suggested that I could take the car to a shop and get an estimate done, which he "might" be able to approve. Being that this was the only option I had, I took the car to my local, trusted repair shop who told me that I'd have to pay $140 to get the estimate done because they'd have to disassemble the door. Before paying this, I decided to call Juan and be sure that this would be covered. I called him back and left a voicemail explaining the latest developments and asking for a return call. That was almost two weeks ago.

I've called him several times since, and left one more voicemail. Still, nothing. I decided, just now, to call the '1-888' number on Run Local's website, just to see if I could get in touch with anyone else who could help me now that Juan has apparently relieved himself of any responsibility with regard to my case. After explaining basically the entire story to Will, I was passed on to Jordan, the call center manager. Jordan got on the phone with me and immediately said "there's nothing we can do for you sir, you don't have insurance." I don't even know what he meant by that. I asked if he could get me in touch with anyone else who could be of assistance, and after saying no to his repeated suggestions to leave a voicemail for Juan, Jordan told me that he is the highest person in the company who I could speak with, and that his company could not do anything for me.

I've phrased the above story as succinctly as possible. What you won't know from reading the above is the disdain in the voices of those at run-local whom I merely asked to right their wrong. This has been, by far, the worst customer service experience I've ever received, for any product or service. I am blown away by the fact that they have my $180, I had to pay a tow truck and to get another key made, I have to get into my car through the trunk until I can come up with the money to get the door fixed on my own, and I have since been treated rudely rather than receiving even a single apology. I will never do business with this company again, and will not allow anyone I know to do so either.

Do yourself a favor and avoid the chance of this happening to you. Call someone else.

Horrible Overall Experience

• Ad
          Adam In Houston Jan 15, 2012

They wanted something like $260 more for that, so I just got the key. Will probably get one as soon as I can.

• Ad
          Adam In Houston Jan 15, 2012

The passenger door doesn't have a keyhole, just a handle, and the key fob, or remote, was on the original key that was lost.

Run Local LocksmithMisrepresentation

One of our group home directors called their telephone number in error. (When you do an online search for our local locksmith, Run Locals name comes up) (The Run Local representative told me they "were allowed" to do that because they were in the same area) This company totally misrepresented themselves. They were asked point blank "Are you Rap*** Locksmith" when they arrived. They answered yes. But they were not. When they presented a bill, it was for three times the amount normally charged for that service. The worst part is, we strongly suspect that the locks were keyed with generic keys. DO NOT EVER USE THIS COMPANY!!! When I called to discuss this complaint they refused to accept that their technician did anything wrong. They refused to renegotiate the price or even offer a discount. They threatened to send us to collection if we didn't pay their bill. They have a very unethical way of doing business.

• Sy
            Sylvia LB Apr 20, 2012

We had very bad experience with Run local locksmith in Long beach NY. The new lock they install broke 2 hour-es after. We called and the same guy fix it putting second new one and this one broke again 10pm. We have two years old baby and i dint felled safe in my house at night.I end up putting old lock in and then got NEW pricey Multi-lock, happy with this one. We got overcharged for poor work and cheep lock. Next time I will got some one recommended and reliable.

Run Local LocksmithUnlicensed Locksmith

Got locked out of my house and was trying to figure out who to call. They are the #1 paid search result returned on Bing and Google when you search for "Seattle Locksmith". So I called them. They said the locksmith would arrive in 10-20 minutes. He arrived about 45 minutes later. He drove up in an old unmarked car. Tried to pick the lock and after 10 min said it wasnt possible. He drilled the door and replaced the lock. Charged us about $100 extra to rekey the lock even though the web site says rekeying should be free. Total came out to $400. He said his credit card machine was broken and asked for cash. I asked for a business card and documentation after realizing the invoice he gave me did not have his name - he refused saying it was on the web site. After he left I realized that this was a scam and that he was most likely an unlicensed locksmith. Doing more internet reserach confirmed this. I called the Run Local locksmith on his cell phone and asked for his full name and locksmith license number - but he refused to tell me. I tried calling the Run Local phone number to get info and kept getting the run-around.

I ended up calling a reputable locksmith company that is actually local and is BBB accredited to come over and rekey all my locks as I do not trust the Run Local "locksmith".

Please ignore any positive comments about Run Local that show up in response to this complaint because they are from spam accounts (all the complaints about Run Local have these spam positive comments).

Also, please review this information from the ALOA if you were scammed in this same way: http://www.aloa.org/AGMap/AG.htm

• Le
              Lee Jun 05, 2011

Home > Business News from The Birmingham News
              Yelp reviews of Alabama locksmiths don't add up
              Published: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 5:50 AM
              By Stan Diel -- The Birmingham News The Birmingham News
              Locksmiths can definitely help with your lock-and-key woes, but beware of online reviews. (The Birmingham News file)
              BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- There may be no better place on Earth than Alabama to get locked out of your car, if glowing reviews of area locksmiths posted on a consumer review website recently are to be believed.
              A total of at least 84 positive reviews of Alabama locksmiths have been posted on Yelp.com in the past week. The Alabama reviews were posted in large, almost simultaneous batches. They seem to follow the same scripts and include the same misspellings and some idioms and syntax not rooted in American English. And many of the locksmith companies identified in the reviews don't seem to actually exist.
              The Alabama phone numbers listed in the reviews ring through to a Michigan company called Run Local Locksmith. That company, mentioned by name in a handful of the reviews, takes phone calls nationwide and refers callers to local locksmiths.
              A man who answered the phone at Run Local Locksmith said he was unaware of any Yelp campaign and said nobody was present who was familiar with the company's advertising or marketing. This flood of suspicious Alabama reviews comes about a week after The New York Times reported on Yelp's ongoing battle with overseas services that will, for a fee, write and post fake reviews. Many fraudulent reviews are posted by people working in India and making $2 to $3 an hour, the Times reported.
              Run Local Locksmith has the Better Business Bureau's lowest rating, an "F, " because BBB attempts to reach the company to address complaints about its advertising were not successful.
              This item was published in The Insider, a weekly column in The Birmingham News Business section.

Run Local Locksmith — Fraud

This company is a total sham...do not do business with them!!! They advertise a $15 fee and will not give you...

Run Local Locksmith — run local locksmith offer a 90-day guarantee on all of our work

I agree with the services offered by Run local locksmith are great and worth the amount spend . They offer a...

Run Local Locksmith — Run Local Locksmith were extremely justified in their work.

I was so pissed off at myself for getting locked out the second time! Last time, I called some bizarre...

Run Local Locksmith — In future I'll only ring up Run Local Locksmith

I hardly take out time to write reviews for any company but the degree of sincerity exhibited by Run Local...

Run Local Locksmith — Run local locksmith technicians are highly trained

Run local locksmith technicians are highly trained and driving a fully equipped locksmith vehicle and ready...

Run Local Locksmith — Expert Locksmith - Automobile

The keys of my BMW got locked inside it accidentally. I used the internet to find who can open its door...

Run Local LocksmithMisss leading / Rude /

Web sit states Only $15 Locksmith service. Called asked about rekeying, told a service fee of $15 plus if additional fee if the lock need parts. Operator said yes and he will provide a quote before work was to start only if I agreed. Asked price and operator stated $19-$35. So I stated service fee should be no more than $50. She then asked If I still wanted a service tech to come out. Service tech Ali called and stated on his way. He quoted me $80 I said no I wasn't going to have the service done. Ali asked why, so I explained to him what I was told. Ali stated I was pay him $15 for coming out here. I again explained to him what I was told. Ali got up set and proceeded to call his supervisor and tell them. Ali told me he was calling the authorities. The supervisor Ali spoke with called me and I placed her on speaker for all to hear. I again explained what the operator told me. She said he needed to leave, then hung up on me. I asked Ali for the keys and he told me no and said he was calling the authorities and started walking to his car with them. I said go ahead and I want my keys. He walked back toward my truck and tossed them on the ground said go ### yourself you ###. Got into his dark dodge caravan and backup the street where he almost hit another vehicle. I called the company back let them know what had transpired. All he could tell me was he'll pass it on to the supervisor on Monday. The verbal language used in front of my children. Come in a vehicle that was not company advertised. Had no form of Identification and was wearing sweat pants and a tee shirt.

• TwinkleTwinkle Jun 05, 2011

I was rather suspicious of the batch of posts on here supporting this firm and upon further investigation checking the profiles all of their comments have been about this company, they must think people are really stupid.

• Le
                Lee Jun 05, 2011

Home > Business News from The Birmingham News
                Yelp reviews of Alabama locksmiths don't add up
                Published: Thursday, June 02, 2011, 5:50 AM
                By Stan Diel -- The Birmingham News The Birmingham News

• Shirley Hall May 31, 2011

Yesterday when I came back to my house from office, I realized that I had left the keys to my house in the office drawer. It was very late in the night so I could not get any bus to go back to my office. So I called Run Local Locksmith. They reached my house within a short span of time and unlocked the door for me. I am extremely happy with the response I got from Run Local Locksmith, even so late in the night.

• Pam Singh May 31, 2011

Last evening my wife had to leave for a business trip, so I had gone to drop her at the airport. When I reached back to my house, I realized that my wife had kept the keys to the house in her handbag. I tried a lot of ways to open the door myself but was unsuccessful. So I started to scan my phone and I found the number to Run Local Locksmith. They came to my place in just 20 minutes and unlocked the door in another 15 minutes. I would like to thank Run Local Locksmith deep from my heart for their help.

• Emma Watson May 31, 2011

Yesterday I had gone to the gym with my friend. I kept the keys to my house, my wallet and my watch in the bag and put the bag inside the locker. When I came back after an hour, I was shocked to see that my bag was missing. I was really tensed about the lost things. On our way back my friend called Run Local Locksmith. When we reached back to my house, we saw them waiting for us. They unlocked the door for me. I am really happy with the service I got from Run Local Locksmith.

• Margaret Betty May 31, 2011

This morning, I was getting really late for office. I had to sprint to catch the bus. When I reached office I realized that the keys to locker were missing. They must have slipped out of my pocket while I was sprinting. At that moment I called Run Local Locksmith. They came to my office in just 15 minutes and unlocked the locker for me. I could then retrieve the file from the locker for an important meeting. I would like to thank Run Local Locksmith. Without their help the meeting would not have happened.

• Ha
                HarryPanther Dec 08, 2010

My key was locked in my car while it was running! I was in such a hurry I didn't even remember doing it. I called Run Local Locksmith and they told me they would have a locksmith to me within 10 minutes. They showed up in 5 minutes! The gentleman was very polite, told me the price up front and got the car opened right away. He then offered to make me a spare key. I'd definitely use them again.

• Ha
                HarryPanther Dec 08, 2010

I locked myself out of my apartment and it was freezing cold. I don't make a ton of dough so I needed an affordable locksmith who was amazingly fast. The guy from Run Local Locksmith was there in less than 20 minutes and got me in my apartment within 5 minutes. Couldn't ask for more. The payment was easy. Personification of professionalism. Highly recommended!

• Lo
                LocksmithScamBuster Dec 07, 2010

This scam outfit is NOT accredited by the BBB, and in fact has an "F" rating for every location nationwide. Check here: http://www.bbb.org/west-florida/business-reviews/locksmith-supply-stores/run-local-locksmith-in-plant-city-fl-90068396 (If the URL is missing, it's the BBB, use a search engine, then type in "run local locksmith" into THEIR search engine)

They are also NOT members of ALOA, check here: http://www.findalocksmith.com/search.aspx (If the URL is missing, it's find a locksmith (dot) com - No spaces)

They are part and parcel of the illegal foreign nationals running scams out of Florida, but advertising as "local" - Nearly ALL of the technicians are non-work visa'd individuals, and the parent company is under indictment in multiple states. $20 million dollars a year for these folks. See here: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS373US373&q=locksmith+scams (If the URL is missing, search any search engine for "locksmith scams")

Check out the poor English in many of the posts FOR the business. Most of the people are foreign nationals who are NOT visa'd to work here. That $20 billion above? ALL shipped out of the country.

About the original poster? As a locksmith, and a legitimate one, under NO circumstances should any of what happened to you happened.

How the scam works: A company in a different country (always the same one) sets up thousands of "local" phone numbers here, then mass registers them in Google Local and other search engines. When you call, you get an operator in New York or Florida, who has NO clue where you are, but dispatches a "technician" - The "technician again, is generally a non-work visa'd individual, usually here on a student visa. The parent company sets fake prices, shill prices, as lead-in's... $19 car unlocks, $29 service calls, etc. They tell the "technician" that they'll require XX of dollars for the service, ALWAYS a higher than normal price to begin with. Whatever the "technician" forces/intimidates you into paying on top of that is the ONLY money he makes. It is then incumbent on him to charge as much as possible under any pretense as possible so he gets some money/pay. The "technician" then splits out the company's "fee" - Gets a Money Order, and sends it to a collection address out of the country.

Some of the "technicians" sell the key codes and key copies for homes to an lesser element for fast cash - Leaving you open to car theft (not reimbursable without a forced entry), and home invasions and robberies.

If a technician demands far, FAR more than he quoted, call the police, while he's there. Do NOT let him intimidate you. If he knows you're calling the police, 9 times out of 10 he will leave, as he does not want to be found with burglary tools (picks and such) without a business or other license. Then call a REAL locksmith and get your place rekeyed, as the fake locksmith has your codes.

Fake locksmiths are a very real, and very dangerous problem. Be proactive. And remember, "cheapest" is generally not even remotely the best.

Run Local Locksmith — Scam

I had locked my keys in my office, and of course there is no spare. I called run local locksmith. They sent...

Run Local Locksmith — Overcharging

Well, after speaking with the operator on the phone she explained to me that there would be $15 service...

Run Local Locksmith — Overcharge and bad customer service

I wish I had found this website before calling these people. I accessed their website on August 20, 2010 and...

Run Local Locksmith — Overcharge and false quotes

This is the worst service EVER!!! I locked my keys in the trunk of my vehical. I called GM to get a...

Run Local Locksmith — Worst Experience EVER

No other time in my life have I been YELLED AT by someone that I'm paying to perform a service. I called...

Run Local Locksmith — Worst Locksmith Experience

Run Local locksmith service is the worst service you can use. Their advertisement claims $29 service, but...

Run Local Locksmith — Poor customer service

OMG!!! Where do I start... I called this company and 8:15pm on 6/13/2010 because of their that add stated...

Run Local Locksmith — Rip-off, Rude, Deception

My son had locked his car keys in his trunk, which were the only keys for the car as the second set was lost...

Run Local Locksmith — deceptive marketing practices, rude, unproffessional behavior from employees at all levels

This company advertises locksmith services for "Only $29" and service in 15 minutes. The technician took an...

Run Local Locksmith — Rip off!!!

Do not use this company!!! I locked myself out of my car and called them since they were the first number I...

Run Local Locksmith — Overcharged and mis-informed

I called multiple locksmiths to get quotes on re-keying 5 condo doors to match an existing key. Run Local had...

Run Local Locksmith — Over charge, double charge

Add says, $29, 15 minute arrival. The person assigned to assist me did not know his way around and took more...

Run Local Locksmith — Overcharges

I wish I would have read these complaints before I called these yahoos! The name is almost right. One should...