Motorguide Complaints & Reviews

MotorguideMotorguide Pro Series 70 Trolling Motor

In May 2008 I purchased a Motorguide Pro Series 70lb thrust bow mount trolling motor, it lasted all of two months before the 1st & 2cd speeds went out. The store where the motor was purchased said after 30 days the motor had to be sent to Motorguide for warranty repair or replacement, but after pleading with the manager they exchanged it for the same motor. They told me if I had trouble with this motor after 30 days it could not be returned and would have to be sent to MG. The new motor lasted about two months and the same problem occured. I soon learned Motorguide's Customer Service is about as dependable as their motors. I was told they do not repair or replace their own motors, you have to send them to authorized repair service, most of which were so backed up for months with bad motorguide motors. NOW WHAT!!! I'M GETTING A MINN KOTA. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MOTORGUIDE PRODUCT.

• Bi
    Bill Hutchison III Aug 11, 2013

I have a Motorguide Wireless 75 lbs thrust motor. I bought it in 2009 and used it six times. In 2012, I took the boat out and discovered that the trolling motor was frozen. I took it to an authorized dealer and had to have the entire motor internals replaced. Now, 2013 out comes the boat again and (after using it twice) the trolling motor is frozen. I had to take the motor to a different authorized dealer, because the first one had gone out of business. The new dealer told me that Motorguide was having a problem with the seals on the motor shaft. I had to purchase a new shaft and motor assembly. Wow, I had to pay over $800.00 for this unit and have spent about $600.00 for repairs. Could have bought two MINN KOTA's for what I've spent on this unit.

• Hu
    Husabergs May 19, 2015

You know it's a shame when a big company won't deal with you I spent about 30 mins on the ph with motorguide about parts for my 36v tour edition bow mount trolling motor olny for them to tell me I could not buy the parts from them why did they waste my time I'm not trying to get somthing for nothing but why should I pay a 100 to 200% mark up on a part they should carry the part in fact is a modual in the motor this is the 2and one in two years at the tone of. $175 hey I'm not rich just want to go fishing this motor is a 2007 I know things go bad but two in two years hell they made there money help the people that help them the service centers make there money no problem! But being and electriction and tec I work on my own stuff also I owned a boat repair busi just want the thing to work right this is getting old I stand behind my work! They should atleast be a little more helpful $ 175 for a fifty dollar part

Josue Stennis Sarah May 17, 2016

"I'm thinking of putting a trolling motor on my bay boat this winter to hold me over wrecks instead of anchoring. The boat is 21' chaos. Any suggestions?"
    The site i found at Google search: http://www.batteryreviews.net/trolling-motor-battery-2/

MotorguidePoor Motorguide replacement policy

In April 2008 I purchased a new Tracker bass boat. It came with a Motorguide trolling motor. I had the boat on water three times. The first was for break in time on the Mercury gasoline motor. On the third time I began having trouble with the trolling motor. The trolling motor has 5 speeds; I started lossing speeds until I finally only had the highest speed. To make it more of a problem if you ran the trolling motor very long (30-40 sec) on high it would cause the resetable breaker to open. I was on vacation at the time. When I returned home I took the boat back to the dealer. They advised it was up to Motorguide whether the trolling motor is repaired or replaced. I had replaced the 5 speed foot control switch while I was on vacation and it didn't change anything. For that reason it appeared to be in the motor. Being it was a new boat and only used on 3 occasions I felt the trolling motor should be replaced. After talking to Motorguide support I was told they have a 30 day replacement policy and the motor would NOT be replaced. I also found out that Motorguide doesn't repair their trolling motors they send them to dealers that do. I did speak to Tracker boats and the boat dealer in Ponca City, Oklahoma. Neither could or would offer any help. So I don't beleive I will every have another Motorguide product.

• Ro
    Roosterfish Aug 06, 2008

Both the dealer and Motorguide should be turned into the better business bureau. They both suck.

• Ro
    Roosterfish Aug 06, 2008

I have a Motorguide wireless series that started showing out soon after purchase. I went through all the trouble of finding someone authorized to fix it. Found out Mecury/Marine still hadn't registered it after driving 100 miles to the authorized repair shop. After trouble-shooting, Foot pedal was bad and replaced. Now I'm trying to locate an additional mounting plate. Nobody will help. Not even Motorguide; except for giving me a part #. What a crock. Wish I knew who to slap around.

• Ph
    Phil Stackpoole Sep 14, 2008

I have also had problems with Mercury Marine responding in a positive way about a difficulty with the fuel pump on my 60 HP Big Foot engine. Mercury has recalled the first engine that I purchased and took the wh0ole first summer to replace the engine leaving me without the use of my boat the first season. The replacement engine has gone through 5--FIVE fuel pumps since the boat went into service. Now they want me to buy a new motor for an additional $3, 160 dollars and the original cost $5, 800 so I will have $5, 960 in and engine and they think I should just dole out good money after bad. Good Luck