Montreal Children's Hospital Complaints & Reviews

Resolved Montreal Children's HospitalWorst hospital for kids

Here's my terrible experience with MUHC, the worst hospital for kids!!!

Week 1:

It happened in mid Feb, 2009. We sent our 2-year-old son to ER of this hospital for extremely bad whizzing coughs; nurses gave him masks and sent us back with a prescription for 4 days for Asthma. Is it Asthma or Pneumonia? The doctors there never gave him an x-ray or any test;

Week 2:

Sunday - We sent him to ER again because he suddenly got a high fever and vomited several times, lips turning blue. After TEN hours waiting, Doctor Konstantin checked his throat and said it was red but OK. He suggested using Tylenol; he met with us for five minutes, gave him a dose Tylenol and did no test at all;

Monday - Several hours after we came back (already midnight), my son screamed in the dark and had hallucination due to persistent, 40-degree plus fever. We called ambulance and rushed him to ER again, a triage nurse warned us that it would be a 10-hour-wait and said all his symptoms were because of fever. We had to leave.

Tuesday - My son was trembling in the morning and his lips were blue, temperature still above 40 degrees, we went to ER again of the same hospital (How STUPID!). After 6 hours waiting, a doctor checked his ears and lungs; it took him 3 minutes to decide it was OK and gave him no test or prescription again;

Wednesday – My son already had high fever for 5 days! We were crazy and knew that sending him to Montreal Children's Hospital would be the worst choice. We went to the local CLSC, the doctor immediately sent him for X-ray. It turned out he had had Pneumonia for quite some time! Probably since he had Asthma (according to Montreal Children's Hospital) two weeks ago. The CLSC doctor prescribed some antibiotics and my son had to take it for ten days.

These days were the hardest time in life for me and my wife; we were so terrified by my son’s symptoms of Pneumonia. But now I realize the more frightening part is that these cracks at Montreal Children's Hospital had not the least medical skills or ethics (or both) to save our kids! They get 6-figure salaries ruining our children’s lives!

Chuck May 01, 2009

Here's my terrible experience with MUHC, the worst hospital for kids!!!

• Su
    Sullivan May 08, 2009

Sorry for what happened to your child at MUHC. But most doctors now are not ethical and they see it just as a trade to make a living (of coure a much better one than most of us), so don't regard them as saints with a lofty mission, that way you'll remind you when you need to tell them what they should do but nothing was done. I don't know in Montreal, but here in Toronto, things are NOT much better.
    I don't know what will happen if it was Stephen Harper's kid, they'll wait for 12 hrs and be ignored for times?

chocolateluva Feb 06, 2011

wow! that was a hellzone! dont go there again! i know i wont!

Resolved Montreal Children's HospitalThese doctors are killers

Montreal Children's Hospital or Dungeon? - Abysmal experience with these crazy quacks!!!

These doctors are killers

• Ke
    KeptUnknown Mar 12, 2009

here's where i did my complaints and this lady got back to me right away.

Complaints & comments

It may happen from time to time that you have a concern about the hospital services provided to you or your child, or that you feel you're not being given enough information. You might simply have a suggestion how something can be improved at the hospital. If so, please share your concerns with a member of your child's care team or other hospital staff. Most concerns can be resolved quickly by talking with staff in the area involved.

If you have difficulty explaining what is troubling you or if you feel that not enough is being done about your concern or complaint, you can contact Patricia Boyer, the hospital's Complaints and Quality Commissioner (Ombudsman). She can help with these matters as well as offer advice and information on hospital practices and procedures.

To reach the Ombudsman, please call (514) 412-4400, e

• Ke
    KeptUnknown Mar 12, 2009

oh...the website url;

• Re
    rebeccadobbs Apr 08, 2009

I'm sympathetic but these things do happens and I don't even believe the hospital ombudsman could do anything about it. As you mentioned, you sent your child there multiple times and saw different doctors and they were all irresponsible. Therefore, the unethical mentality has been embedded in the hospital culture and takes too much to change.
    Avoid these hospitals seems to be the only way.
    Rebecca

• Ra
    ray h Apr 10, 2009

Hey, come to the states, we got better hospitals here. Only problem is you need to pay for insurance.

• Ca
    cathy Apr 20, 2009

I agree with some of what you say, but I think the MUHC did the right thing in this case:

Montreal couple suing the MUHC and their doctor, claiming their daughter's birth was botched and a committee overruled their wishes to let their comatose daughter die. Marie-Eve Laurendeau and Stephane Mantha are seeking $3, 475, 000 in damages, claiming the ethics committee at the Children's illegally overruled their decision to take the severely-disabled girl, Phebe Mantha, off of life support.