Hawaiian Telcom Complaints & Reviews

Aug 21, 2021

Hawaiian Telcom — Internet service, customer service

Hi, We have been moving 3 times while we've lived on Oahu. Each time we have requested a move order...

Hawaiian TelcomCharge for a service I did not order

The customer service representative I spoke with today was very unfriendly and accused me of being dishonest. Here's what happened. I moved into my rental apartment 2.5 years ago and from that day on I had cable TV and Internet. I never questioned it because condos often times come with extras. I only had a Hawaiian Telcom home phone account. Then about 3 months ago I wanted to sign up for a Hawaiian Telcom Internet business account. The customer service representative, after many questions, told me that I currently shouldn't have any Internet because I'm not being charged for it. I was surprised to hear that because I assumed it is included in my apartment (just like my cable TV is).

Shortly after I signed up for a business Internet account, I received a bill for past Internet service. So now they suddenly want me to pay for their mistake (which I wasn't even aware of nor signed up in the first place). I spoke with another agent about 2 months ago regarding this invoice (which is over $950) and she told me to disregard it, which I did. She said it will be fixed and I don't have to pay it. So I also disregarded the following 2 invoices.

Today I received another one and this time it says that they will disconnect my account if I don't pay and send a collection agency. So when I talked to another agent today, he was nasty and told me it is my fault that I didn't notice that I'm not being charged for my Internet service. I will cancel my account and switch to another provider. That's for sure!

Marcus Pringle Nov 13, 2015

Long storry short..My experience with this company ..Extremely rude and unprofessional customer service. The classic bate and switch, overcharge scam! I'm done with Hawaii Telcom. Back to cable..next step filing complaints with the BBB!

Hawaiian Telcomcontinues errors

SENCE HAWAIIAN TELCOM BECAME THE TELEPHONE COMPANY IN MY AREA OCEANVIEW HAWAII
    IT HAS BEEN CONTINOUS ERRORS. WHEN I CONTACTED TELCOM ABOUT MY LONG DISTANCE PHONE BILL APROX 8 TIMES THAT THEY WERE CHARGING ME 12 PER MINUTE ON LONG DISTANCE
    IT WAS NOT CORRECTED UNTILL I GOT IN CONTACT WITH THE HEAD OFFICE. WHEN I PUT MY PHONE ON VACATION PLAN THE LAST TIME AND GAVE THEM A REFERAL NUMBER, WHEN
    THE NUMBER IS CALLED IT SAYS OUT OF SERVICE. WHAT IF SOMEONE IS TRYING TO GET IN
    TOUCH WITH ME. PREVIOUSLY WHEN I PUT PHONE ON VACATION PLAN THEY HAD THE WRONG
    REFERAL NUMBER, I CALLED ABOUT THIS 4 TIMES BEFORE IT WAS CORRECTED. WHEN I CALLED IN ADVANCE BY 2 WEEKS AND ASKED TELCOM TO TURN ON MY PHONE FROM VACATION ON A
    SPECIFIED DATE, I RETURNED HOME AND OF COURSE THE PHONE WAS NOT ON.I COULD GO ON
    FOR SOME TIME ABOUT THE UNPROFESSIONALISM OF TELCOM. THE MOST IMPORTANT ERROR
    THAT HAS HAPPENED LATELY . I HAVE CALLED AND LEFT MESSAGES AND EMAILED SEVERAL
    TIMES FOR PUME. SHE IS THE ONE THAT CORREDTED PROBLEMS IN THE PAST. I CANNOT
    GET A RESPONCE, I ASKED IF SHE WORKS THERE STILL AND WAS TOL SHE DOES. thankyou

• Bo
        Bob S. Apr 05, 2021

They didnt bill me for 6 months months after installation. No contact what so ever until they switched off the fiber optic.
        Then I spent 3 hours sorting out THEIR problem with billing! Disconnected (?) twice. Misinformation from 3 different so called agents !!!
        UNBELIEVABLE this outfit is in biz.

Hawaiian TelcomTerrible customer service

Every month at the dinner hour Hawaiian Telcom calls us to tel l us we haven't paid our bill. The story never changes. We always do pay it, but they call us and ask us to pay it before we ever receive our bill. I suggest that they send us our bill in a timely manner and stop the "bill collector" style phone calls to our home. It's obnoxious.

Hawaiian Telcom did not receive our internet business when we moved because the Hawaiian Telcom guys couldn't figure it out and didn't keep their appointment to send out a technician to fix the problem. We went with the cable company instead. We have been disappointed with Hawaiian Telcom.

• Hi
          HI resident May 11, 2011

I just moved to to a new address and try to use the same number with DSL internet. After three working days, no services at all. I kept calling for solution, no luck. All they can do is turn on the Hawaiian music and let you wait. It has bean over a week, my phone and internet lines are still down. Terrible service...

Hawaiian Telcom — Scam and fraud

On June 13, 2008, Hawaiiantel.net 'upgraded' their email system. When the upgrade came on line, my...

Hawaiian TelcomThe worst customer services ever!

I disconnected my phone service with Hawaiian Telcom on April 21,2006. I am still receiving bills for the very same telephone number that was disconnected (It is now October). I have contacted the billing department numerous times. After waiting in their cue for up to 30 minutes at a time, I am told that it is an ordering problem? I have told them that it isn't possible it is an ordering problem as I do not have a valid phone number with them (I got this info from the order department). I have spent countless hours waiting in the cue, being bounced around from one department to another and being promised resolve. Obiviously, nothing is farther from the truth! I would strongly suggest that if you have the opportunity to do business with a company other than Hawaiian Telcom you do so and fast!

2 Responses
          • Pm
            PM Feb 06, 2007

I also disconnected landline and DSL back in April of 2006 and I am still getting bills for the internet!!!! I had so many issues that I requested a credit of $75. Well, no credit but how about some nice charges on each bill. I am so sick of this company. I filled a complaint with the HI BBB and today (2/6/07) was the day that Hawaiian Telcom was supposed to respond to my complaint. But guess what? They didn't respond. No surprises there.

• Di
            dingus magillicutty Feb 06, 2007

Based on similar personal experience, I can confirm that Hawaiian Telcom still doesn't have their act together and continues to demonstrate gross neglect regarding their billing issues in my opinion.

I discovered that the HI Public Utilities Commission (PUC) is probing Hawaiian Telcom in 2007 and this could result in penalties or fines levied by state regulators.

If you've got issues with Hawaiian Telcom, I'd recommend letting the PUC know. HI PUC URL:

The HI Better Business Bureau is also anther consumer resource for filing a complaint. HI BBB URL: