edf energy Complaints & Reviews

edf energyDiscgraceful behaviour

I recently received a threatening letter from EDF energy, saying they had made numerous attempts to contact me regarding an unpaid bill and that if this amount was not paid within a few days they would be taking court action against me and send an EDF employee round to my address to get forced action to turn off my gas supply. At no time have I received any written correspondence, or phone correspondence saying I had money owing to EDF Energy. I was formally on an agreement to pay them £70.00 per month and every month I have duly paid EDF £70.00. In conversations with EDF operators on the phone, I have been told it was fine to pay £70.00 per month and I was lead to believe that I was paying according to the monthly agreement I had with EDF. To come home to a letter threatening me with court action is disgraceful and I will most certainly be changing energy suppliers, due to the disgraceful behaviour of EDF Energy.

edf energyBackdated my bill

Hello,
    i was signed up to nPower which was biling me about £35 a month on gas and electric in peterborough.

then i met an EDF energy rep, who promised he could lower my energy prices if we switch. They said my new price would be £15 a month.

So i gladly changed to EDF energy, who also promised me nectar points, After about 1 year of using EDF energy, they called and said over the phone, they had reviewed my energy prices, and my bill was wrongly quoted and has to be reset to £50 a month and backdated it for one year plus.

They insisted i paid and when i said i hadnt the money, the brought a balif to pick my lock, and change my gas meter from direct debit to pay as you go and charged me £50 for the switch

luckily i was at home when i saw the balif trying to pick my lock and I opened the door for him and they changed my gas to pay as you go meter.

Respond

edf energyStay away from these ppl

On 8 February 2011EDF sent me a gas bill for gas used from 13 October 2010 to 4 February 2011the previous bill had been for gas used up to 19 October 2010 so they were trying to charge me twice for the period from 13 October to 19 October. I was already in email contact with a Manager at Customer Services in relation to a previous error (They had sent me a Prepayment meter statement when I don’t have a prepayment meter) I emailed the Manager and informed her the bill was wrong. On the 23 February they sent a Notification of Legal Action for the non payment of the bill they had issued just 15 days earlier on the 8 February despite the fact I had disputed the bill. The Notification threatened that they would obtain entry by warrant and install a prepayment meter.

On the 24 February they sent another bill it was an estimated bill for gas used from 5 February to the 22 February the estimation was ridiculously low. Knowing they were going to put prices up on the 2 March I went online in the evening of 1 March to provide actual reading. After entering my reading a message came up stating my “Your gas reading is not consistent with previous reads Please re-enter” as I was already in email contact with the Manager I took a digital photo of the meter and emailed it to her at 7.18am on 2 March the reading was 3146. I have just received another bill it includes the amount for previous bill and then adds gas usage from 23 February to 1 March the readings entered for this period are 3070 to 3107 the usage is as 413 Kwh. The next entry is for gas used from 2 March to 2 March the gas usage for this one day is 435 Kwh, readings used are, first 3107 next 3146 and the cost for that one day up to 7.18am is £14.59 plus VAT plus 20 pence standing charge.

This bill then includes five entries listed as Bill Adjustments these five Bill Adjustments total £250.99 and that amount has been added to my bill. Three days ago I emailed asking for full and detailed explanations of each of the five Bill Adjustments shown in this bill. I have yet to receive a reply.

edf energyUnethical practice by EDF Energy

I have a property that I let out. I am not a landlord with numerous properties, just the one that has become available due to life changes. The said property was being let for a period of one year. Towards the end of the year it was brought to my attenetion that the tennant had left recently and had not informed me. On arrival at the property there were numerous bills on the floor one of which was a large unpaid gas bill in excess of £1000. I contacted the supplier and informed them of the situation and that the tenant, who held the account had left and I had no idea as to her whereabouts. The EDF employee listened and said that this was fine, that account would be closed and in the mean time, till new tennants move in a new account in my name would be opened, which was fine. What he did not tell me was that he was closing the tennants account on an estimate, and that when the new tennants moved in and change suppliers and gave a meter reading any thing in excess of the estimate would now be my debt as I was the account holder. New tennants moved in after a short period ( about 5 weeks) and during that 5 weeks the property was unoccupied. I have recently had a letter from debt collectors claiming that court action is in the process of being taken for an outstanding gas bill to the tune of £500+ pounds! Can anyone tell me if this was ethical practise by EDF, and should I have been informed of the consequences of taking over an account on an estimate, or at least advised to get a final reading before closing the outstanding account?

Respond

edf energyChanging energy suppliers online

I signed up for changing my Gas/Electric supply with EDF energy online. I ticked the box agreeing to their terms and conditions without realizing the cancellation period was only 12 days from ticking the box. I was informed I would receive written confirmation by post and I assumed the 12 days would commence from receipt of written confirmation. I received an email confirmation; this contained NO phone numbers or options to cancel, or any reminder that I only had 12 days should I wish to cancel. To date I have not received written confirmation by post and I thought, as I hadn’t received anything in the post this was not being processed. I phoned to check this was the case and if necessary cancel changing to EDF energy as I had made arrangements to go elsewhere. They told me i was one day over the cancellation period. They were very aggresive, rude and unbending. I explained I had not received any confirmation by post and was informed this had been sent, neither was it relevant as I had ticked the box online and this gave me 12 days to cancel from then. This information regarding cancellation is less than a sentance in pages of there Terms & Conditions. There was no stage in signing that made it clear I only had 12 days from that point. I was 1 day over the cancellation period and they refused to budge and allow me to cancel. They were very, very aggressive with there stance and selling. I was informed my only option was to stay with them for 28 days then if I changed I would have to pay penalties of up to £100. I had replied to their email requesting cancellation but initially I was told this was not good enough, later i was told this had also been received to late. They gave me condesending advise informed me accepting their terms and conditions online was a legally binding document. The same as a mortgage or any other legal document I had signed. He suggested in future that I read terms and conditions far more carefully before signing! I have since sent in a complaint about the staff and am awaiting the reply from EDF compalints dept. I think the contract is for a year, if i ever get a copy ( I have requesed it 3 times but still not received) I will make sure I cancel it as soon as possibke and NEVER deal with them again because of the way i was treated. The whole thing was a total wind up. I can't believe they can speak to you in such a manner. I think this should be looked into as I am sure for someone older living alone this would have been a very bad experiance.

1 Response
            • Pi
              pimps1 Sep 06, 2011

Took up the offer from Sainsbury to switch to EDF being offered £50 in Sainsbury vouchers. Have now called 3 times to query when the £50 Sainsbury vouchers were going to be with me. Each time told on way. Last call Monday 16th Feb told by the customer services guy he could try and talk to a manager, but he didn't sound very hopeful. Is this just one big marketing ploy to get people to switch. I thought made sense as get fuel from Sainsburys so collecting more nectar points through gas and Electric. Going to change energy supplier as digusted with both Sainsburys & EDF. How many other people have just forgotten about the vouchers, or have others actually receieved them?

edf energyelectric bill

For the last 2 years my eletric bill has been around the £125. mark and yesterday they sent me a bill for £2, 123.30 out of the blue. They merely said it was a catch up bill!!

6 Responses
              • Je
                JEVAN Oct 01, 2013

IN DEC 2011 I RENTED A TWO BEDROOM COTTAGE . I PAID A BILL FOR £115.00 THE NEXT BILL CAME IN AT £1577.00 I DISPUTED IT AT THE TIME AND TOLD THAT I NEEDED TO SUPPLY THEM WITH READING EACH DAY FOR 7 DAYS I WAS UNABLE TO AS I WAS MOVING OUT, WHICH I DID IN JUNE 2012
                I WROTE TO THEM GIVING MY FORWARDING ADDRESS AND, NEVER HEARD A WORD UNTIL NOW WHEN I GOT A DEBT COMPANY CONTACT ME WITH REGARDS TO A £ 8755.44 OUT STANDING BILL FROM MARCH 2012 MAY 2013 I WAS NOT LIVING THERE WHICH I CAN PROVE BUT CAN ANY ONE ADVISE ME WHAT I DO ABOUT THE ORIGINAL BILL OF £1577.00 WHICH I KNOW MUST HAVE BEEN WRONG, HELP HELP PLEASE .

• Is
                israh Jun 20, 2011

iv just received a bill of 1500 pounds from edf telling me that i have not payed since june last year as ive been paying them buy cash at my local post office i have no money trail to fall back on also ive got rid of all my bills so there is no way i can prove that i have paying i did phone an asked if they wernt receiving anything from me why not send me a warning /final notice it was the classic reply our systems did not update the change.people beware and keep all records even it means a couple of years or so or else

• Fo
                fozzfox72 Feb 08, 2010

My wife and i legally bought a business almost 4 years ago, and purchased through a lawyer obtained all the necessary documentation to enter into a lease/premises. With all the searches, that go with it 2 weeks after "moving in" to the premises we get a £22, 000 bill from EDF!! WOW.

There is no way that we owe/d this kind of money, its not possible and EDF know that, but they say its down to the landlord, and guess what he say's in reply...tuff!

We have tried to fight it, but we are a small business that cannot afford the £250 -400 per hour fees for the lawyers to combat this extortionate bullying which has pushed us to the limits, both financially and mentally. How can this be? how can they get away withit? Why will no one listen or help? Why when we produce documentation do they always put us through to another department?

End of the line EDF (Extortion Depending on Fraud)

Mark

• Op
                ops Nov 12, 2009

I just received yesterday a bill on my door from EDF energy of about £2, 000, a bill that is from June 2005 until July 2009. After having called them, they simply said it was because all bills were estimates and this was just an adjustment! Just an adjusment!!?!?!? why don't they make an adjustment every 20 years and claim a million back?

magoosy Apr 01, 2009

Hi there
                thanks for this complaint wich helped my 77-yr-old mum. She had cold-callers to the door yesterday who said they'd come from Martin Lewis (TV Money-Saving scam) and his research had given them a list of names of people who were being overcharged for their energy bills. They promised a saving of £8/month... she has NEVER EVER succumbed to cold-sellers before but did so. Thankfully she phoned me to ask me to look it all up on tinterweb.. so she is now cancelling. These 'catch-up bills' sound horrendous but they'll have found a small-print way to make it legal... anyway as a result my Mum is cancelling and staying with e-on, who she's been with for many years and has never had a problem with. So thanks for the info...
                kind regards
                chris

• Ka
                Kat Mar 17, 2009

Please let me know what we can do about this. My electricity bill - for a one roomed flat - has always been about 70 pounds. I have just received a bill for 7, 262.66 for a three month period and was also told it was a catch up bill, despite many visits for meter reading.
                In my commercial premises, I switched from British Gas to EDF recently, because they sold me the idea of Green Energy, and I also had a price increase of ten times the normal bill.
                My friend has just received a bill from EDF for Nine Thousand Pounds!
                This has got to be some kind of terrible rip off, and I am just not sure what to do about it.