Having problems with Protection 1?

Protection 1 Customer Service Contacts

+1 877 776 1911 (Support)
1501 Yamato Road
Boca Raton, Florida
United States - 33431-0835

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Protection 1 Customer Service. Initial Protection 1 complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Protection 1 above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Protection 1. Discuss the issues you have had with Protection 1 and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Complaints & Reviews

Protection One — Early Termination Fees

I activated an existing alarm system in a house I purchased one year ago. I paid your company over $500 for...

Protection OneThey are Liars!

After my contract was over; I received a letter stating that they need to charge me more or they going to take "calling" feature from my plan because I don't have a landline phone but a payphone at the business. Every time my alarm is arm or disarm I would receive a call from my business through the pay phone and protection one one said it costs them money (i doubt it). I then called them and told them I want to cancel my service since it's over and move to ADT because it's cheaper. After our conversation, they decided to go over some of the features I don't need to lower my plan. i agreed to the new term which was to keep all the features I had except for the Patrol and the calling feature for $40. After I renewed the contract they took out the opens and closes (enable me to view who and when they arm or disarm the alarm), and wanted to charge me $10 every month plus $25 to program it. I was upset because they lied to me about the features and I don't understand why I need to pay for such feature. It's like I have to pay to view my billing statement online. After this experience, I will never recommend nor do business with protection one again because they are all liars!

Protection OneRip Off!!!!

Please dont get scamed like me and so many others. They will lock you into a contract that you can't get out of. Unless you are planing on never moving or never dying dont sing up.

• Ro
        Rosalinda Jun 09, 2010

My name is Susan, and I am with Protection One’s Executive Customer Relations team, where our focus is on resolving unique issues that sometimes occur.

At Protection One, we do strive to provide an excellent level of customer service, and I regret learning of the experience you describe here. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to review your account more closely with you. Could you please contact us anytime between 8:00am and 5:00pm CST Monday through Friday at [protected] or at [email protected]? Please be sure to provide your name, contact information or account number. You also may reach us at [email protected] seven days a week.

Thank you for your time. I sincerely hope to hear from you.

• Ts
        tspills2 Oct 05, 2010

Hi Susan,
        I am not the person who first blogged on here, but I would love to hear from you. I have had the same experience with your company and plan on taking it to Facebook, Twitter, and every other social network I can find. I am tired of getting ripped off by companies like yours.

Tammy Spillers
        [email protected]
        Account #[protected]

Protection One — failure to repair/billing practices

I put an alarm system in my home. I was never told before the installation that the system could not be used...

Protection One — Contract fees

I had Protection One activate a system already in the home I bought. They told me the equipment was old but...

Protection One Wichita, KSMISC CHARGES ON BILL

I have had Protection One since Nov. 2008 and have had nothing but problems since going with them.

Every bill I get is wrong and I keep getting charged misc. charges that I have already paid!

I was out of town for over a month and my alarm was 'shut off', un beknownst to me.

I called in about the unusually large bill and they told me I had to pay six months in advance, are you kidding me? Because I missed ONE month?

Then, I wasn't even setting the damn thing and for two weeks it would go off in the middle of the night, I kept calling in and they said it was my cell phone tower????? Are we on the same planet? I didn't set the alarm people!!

They instructed me how to disconnect it, which, for a girl is difficult and sucked. Then, to reconnect was more than enough trouble.

So, they sent out a tech who said the wiring from the beginning was messed up and spent most of the day out here.

I talked to one lady in particular who finally got everything straightened out, promised my bill was set and I wouldn't have additional charges, if I did, call her only.

1 month later I get a bill for over $200, are you serious? I can't wait to get rid of this company!

I did for TWO WEEKS with no return call.

Finally someone else calls, rude as can be, says I just renewed my contract, are you out of your mind????

Now they say I have to pay the last 4 months when I have a bill saying it has been paid!!

I wish I had a lawyer to help me because this is highway robbery.

Does anyone know who 'governs' the alarm companies, like the FTC, etc?

I know I can complain to the BBB but I need to go beyond. I have of course faxed a letter to the supervisor but it is like talking to a brick wall.

Any advice of who helps protect consumers in this field would be appreciated, thank you!!

• Ro
          Rosalinda Aug 07, 2009

Thank you for your time. I sincerely hope to hear from you.

Susan

Protection Onewrong number - harassing phone calls

I have never had a contract or services with this company. About six months ago I started receiving phone calls and messages from Protection one about "my" alarm system with them. Sometimes they call up to 3 times per day and if I am not home they will leave 3 messages on my answering machine.

I have called them three times and have told them that they have the wrong number and I beg them to stop calling me. I even had a supervisor promise to remove my number from their call list. Each time they take my number and promise to leave me alone. I still get calls daily.

Today I had two more messages on my answering machine from Protection One and they were asking to speak to David. Once again (fourth time) I called them and told them that they have the wrong number!!! I was promised that they would stop calling me. How in the world do you get this company to stop being so bothersome?? I'm so glad I don't use their services because it is clear that they don't know when to stop harassing their customers to death.

Protection One — Harrassment, threats, fraud

I had a 2 year contract. I noticed them that I wanted to cancel it 6 months ago. I told them 2 weeks before...

Protection OneRip-Off ! ! !

I paid for nearly two years of service only to find out that Protection One wasn't receiving any signal from our house. And, THEY WON'T GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK !

Here are the facts: We had a Protection One, whole-house, system installed nearly 20 years ago when we purchased our home. My husband died about nine years ago and I continued to faithfully pay the monthly service fee and 24-hour monitoring fee. Over the past few years, I have accidently set off the alarm a few times (hasn't everyone?) and would immediately call Protection One and tell them that there was no problem and to ignore the alert. Then, several months ago, I had to have an upstairs bathroom window replaced due to a water leak. I called Protection One and told them I didn't want the window alarmed any longer and inquired how my contractor should cap-off the existing alarm wires. Protection One gave directions to the contractor and advised that I would still have to have a service representative come out and remove the window from my system or it would always show on the alarm pad and would require entering a by-pass code. The service representative came out and re-programmed the system and went on to "test" the system by sending a test signal to Protection One. He then advised me that my system was "not talking" to Protection One. He went on to investigate and determined that the problem was that the phone wires had been cut. Apparently, this had occurred a couple of years earlier, when I had hardwood floors installed -- during the installation, the phone wires were somehow accidently cut.

Here are my issues . . .
          1. If the wires were inadvertantly cut by the floor installers, why didn't Protection One get a signal that something was wrong? What if it had been the "bad guys" who cut the wires while breaking into my house? I guess I'd be dead.
          2. When I accidently set off the alarm over the past few years and called Protection One to tell them to ignore the alarm, why didn't they tell me they hadn't received a signal? If I set off the alarm and notified them and they didn't receive it, why wasn't that reason enough, in an of itself, to investigate further.
          3. I repeatedly asked, over the phone and in writing, for a full refund of the money I paid for services I didn't receive. They have REFUSED.
          4. Protection One says that I failed to do a "monthly test" of the system -- something, I might add, my husband nor I have ever done! In any event, setting off the alarm accidently over the past few years and calling them is a test in my book!
          4. Their solution is for them to keep my money and have another service representative come out and upgrade my system, at "no charge, " and that I should continue to make monthly payments. Oh, and by the way, the monthly payment for the upgraded system would be more than I was currently paying.

Crooks!

• Je
              Jenaque Apr 27, 2009

This issue has been resolved to my satisfaction. Protection One contacted us promptly after this complaint and has provided us with a complete refund.

Jenaque

• Jm
              Jman1020 Jul 01, 2010

WOW - thats hard tp believe.

Protection OneStay Away From Protection One Alarms

I signed a 3 year contract so I thought. I've had them for over 5 years now.I'm paying over $30.00 a month which included the insurance plan. So I have a problem with 2 parts in my system and go online to speak with them, and was told that parts are not included with the insurance. They could bill me for the part and send it to me. I've wasted hundreds of dollars on the insurance. I call the call center and was lied to again, until I get the supervisor who told me that the other two ladies were incorrect. Now she says they can send me the part and they have changed their policy again a couple of months ago to include the main system battery. Of course us customers never get anything in writing when they change their policies. Must be nice, that they don't have to inform us of changes. She tried to give me the run around thinking I was stupid. Now I want to cancel my service and it's like pulling teeth. They asked me did I read the SMALL PRINT that says I'm still under a contract. That I only have a small window to cancel my contract when it renews each year. I hope the rest of you read this. She also told me that she would review my contract and maybe even come out after I cancel and rip the system out. WOW!!

Stay far, far away from Protection one and read the small print.

Email me at [protected]@aol.com if you have any questions.

Thank God for Lawyers!

markcrosenthal May 27, 2009

Update

I went ahead and canceled my service and paid the $100 early fee, even though I only had a few more months left on my contract.

I spoke with Karen at the home office and she told me that she would just charge me 100 and I could be done with them. I paid 2 more months andthen $100, because I had to mail something to them 2 times, before they said they got it.

Now they want to come to my home and rip out the system and it says in the contract that they are not responsable for any damage they may cause.

When you goto their website and do the live chat now and ask them if you will own the system after the contract is up, Melissa Dietz will tell you yes, even if it is not true. My rep told me that I would own it also.
                SO after a total of 8+ years and 2 different homes, this is the thanks that I get.

Read everything before you sign with them, if you do decided to go with them.

The emails that I got from them, told me that after the 100 they would be done with me and you can't go by what they tell you.

Protection One — Protection One Punishes Loyal Customers

Regarding Protection One (aka Protection Service Industries or PSI, Integrated Alarm Services or IASG) and...

Protection Onefraud

I was leaving town on a 3 week vacation when my security system went down. There was a four to five day wait to get an appointment with a technician. When I explained my circumstances, I was told that they would send someone out for an emergency situation at $85.00 an hour. This incident led me to cancel my service, which had 2 months left on the contract. I paid the additional 2 months, but I continued to receive bills. The customer service rep said that company representatives had called me twice to convince me to keep the service, but since I didn't return their calls my contract was extended for another year. I asked that a copy of this policy be sent to my attorney. It was never sent. When I called back to report that their policy provisions for extending my service had not been received, I found out that they had altered the notes in their computer: removing the fact that I had canceled my service in accordance with the terms of the contract. A supervisor refused to talk with me. My account was sent to a collection agency.

• St
                  Steve Frazier May 24, 2009

You can get a full service warranty for just $6 a month. How many companies do you know that don't charge a visit fee for service? Pro 1 will not charge anything if you have a warranty. I'm sure you were offered this but, you did not want to pay the extra 20 cents a day for it.

• Ha
                  handy Jun 04, 2009

Protection One does everything that is legally within their power to retain you as a payee and as little as possible that is ethical to keep you as a satisfied customer, just like many other businesses. They don't know how to cut costs effectively without curtailing service, and I don't think they care. They sold too many systems too fast and don't have the backing to support those systems. That's why they use private contractors to help out. It isn't just Protection One either, several other security companies operate using the same methods. The best defense against this business practice is word of mouth. Tell everyone you know to read the contracts completely before signing and test that system every day if you have to. Keep in mind though, there are just as many customers making ridiculous demands as there are companies using poor practices.

Protection OneService Contracts and poor customer service

I have the exact same complaint that John Smith wrote about earlier. How this company can continue to treat customers like this in today's economy and survive is beyond me.

This is the quote from Smith earlier and it right on. Buyer beware.

Protection One is the greatest band of thieves to walk the earth. One of their greatest scams is to say you have to cancel via letter. They "accept" a verbal cancellation (calling an 800 number from your own home phone, they get your number even if it is blocked, you give your password, you state your intent, so they damn well know it's you and what you want to do), but then they don't tell you that you need to do it in writing, according to them. So they try to rip you off for another month or two's billing, which you don't find out about until they bill you

• Gr
                    grapeman Mar 02, 2009

I am having the same problesm with Protection One. They are not an honroable company.

• Tg
                    TGlidewell Mar 02, 2009

We bought the alarm system in 1989. A friend went into the business and for the same price we decided to switch. We were told that our contract renewed automatically in January (we never heard from them) and we would owe an early cancellation fee of $100. 20 years and I owe a cancellaiton fee?

• Ob
                    OBEEET Mar 08, 2010

PROTECTION ONE IS THE BIGEST RIP OFF EVERY, DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO MONITOR YOU HOME. I WAS WITH THEM FOR 10 YEARS AND THEY SCREWED ME FOR 2 MORE MONTHS AFTER I REQUESTED MY SERVICE BE TURNED OFF. PLEASE PLEASE BUYER BE WARE

Protection One — Fraud and cheating

When I had problems with their previously installed security system that left half my house unprotected, I...

Protection One — Rip off

Protection One Security has a 2 year contract that is written to make you think it's for 2 years, but if...

Protection OnePoor service!

We signed up for Protection One in January. When we signed up, we asked the sales person if we could cancel anytime. He said "Yes, no problem." We paid an installation fee. In July of this year, we asked to cancel the service. We were told that we have a 3 year contract. Sure enough, if you look on the back of the contract in writing so small you need a magnifying glass, it says the contract is for 3 years. We called and said there is no way we would have signed up for 3 years. We don't even anticipate living in this same house in 3 years. They said we cannot break the contract unless we pay a $300 cancellation fee plus pay for the months we have already asked them to cancel. This company is a rip-off and extremely difficult to work with. NEVER SIGN UP FOR PROTECTION ONE. We've learned our lesson.

• Xp
                      X-Protection One employee Oct 16, 2007

I used to work for Protection One for two years as the person who monitored the alarms and made the necessary calls as the alarms went off. I can tell you that back then at the age of 23 I was considered an "old fart" because most of the people working there are kids around 18 and 19 years old and they DO NOT care about you, your home, business, property etc. Occasionally you will find an operator who is older, but they usually work the day shift and leave the night shift to the kids who like to stay up all night and goof off at your expense. You would think, "where are the supervisors?" They were there, but they were schmucks, who spent their time surfing' the net on their computers, or making out with subordinates in the server room. It was crazy disgusting. The customer service department was no better. They will lie to you with the greatest of ease with their main goal being to get you off the phone. You asked if you can cancel at anytime? They will always say YES, when in reality the answer is always unequivocally NO, NO, NO. I always felt so sorry for the poor customers who would call up to cancel their account and then find out they were in it for five years no matter what the reason. I had no power over that being in the monitoring department, but I sure did get a lot of misdirected calls and always got an earful from irate customers in regards to their contracts and other various things.

• Da
                      David Mar 12, 2008

I have a similar situation as Tom. We live in Washington. We were in a rental house which had a pre-existing Protection One system, installed according to the landlord at least 5 years prior to our moving in. We activated the system. When the guy came out to turn it on, I told him we would only be living in the house a year or so while we looked to buy a home. "No problem". Moved out 4/07 & canceled the service. At that time, they said we owed them for service until 2009, the original amount being $660. I called last April & said we did not sign up for 3 years, and would not be paying them ~$700 for NOTHING. They promised a call from a supervisor. No call & no contact until this week (nearly a year later) when we received a letter from a collection agency, claiming we owe $785! I would rather SET FIRE to 8 $100 bills then send the money to these people. If anyone has had a similar situation & resolved it in their favor, I would like to hear about it.

Josh Jun 04, 2008

These guys are scammers and protection 1 is a rip off. These guys conned my mom and grandmother into signing their contract. The alarm system never worked right and they had only put censors on a few of the doors and windows. It has been years now and they will not cancel the contract by phone and my grandmother has had a stroke and is not able to write anymore.

a year or 2 ago I unplugged the thing from both the phone and electricity. A few months ago the cops and fire dept showed up at my door saying the alarm had gone off? this is impossible since its been unhooked for years now, and now on top of the money protection one steals from my poor old grandmother every month, now she has to pay the police $100

• St
                      stephanie winkler Nov 05, 2008

Dear Customers and former employees,

Due to the seriousness of the above allegations, I would like the opportunity to investigate your situations. Please contact me at your convenience to discuss your concerns. Protection One strives to provide an excellent standard of customer service as well as provide a safe, friendly, and efficient work environment. I look forward to hearing from you.

Respectfully,

Stephanie Winkler
                      Executive Customer Relations
                      Toll: [protected]
                      Email: [email protected]

Bell South Security /protection One5 year contract

I signed with Bellsouth/Protection One in August of 2006 and paid an install of $149 and agreed to $29.95/month. Our business lease is up in December of 2007. When we called to cancel, we were told this is a 5 year agreement! Who signs a 5 year agreement? Who pays for an install on a 5 year lease? Bottom line, the salesman had me signing papers and NEVER explained it was a 5 year agreement. I would NEVER have used them. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS COMPANY!

• Ck
                        C. Kaye Sep 29, 2007

These Protection One people are the WORST people in the world. First they had me pay over $800.00 in installation fees, using my OLD sensors! Then $34.95 a month and took their time when I needed them once in 1 year, service was TERRIBLE. When I moved out of my home, 140 miles away...they're now billing me for 2 more years, even tho' I'm an ill senior citizen and screaming at me in the phone I "still had to pay for another 2 years"...I've never in all my life seen such worse crooks, and making a person pay for 3 years, 2 of which I'll never use in the house I left and am selling (if possible in today's market!)....plus the salesman told me it was a "YEAR-long contract" not the 3 years you can't even find except in fine print if you spend over an hour looking through the Harvard-attny made up long contract.

These people are greedy, full of misrepresentation, and are not even quick to respond to ANY emergency....they're ONLY AFTER THE MONEY, while promising the world. Stay away from them. I'm going to report them to the BBB and any governing, licensing government body I can. They'll intimidate you and scream at you on the phone to pay for something YOU'LL NOT GETTING!! With ARROGANCE! Of course, it's with arrogance - crooks NEVER respect people they're scamming from like this company scams their customers!

John Peters Oct 14, 2007

Who signs a 5 year agreement? You do!
                        Who pays for an install on a 5 year lease? You do!

I work for Pro 1 and I have never had a customer complain about a contract. If it is properly explained there is no issues. A contract is there so that companies can stay in business. With all the penny pincher's in the world today, companies need some kind of guarantee. All alarm companies don't see a profit until after the 3rd year of the contract that is why you don't see a new alarm contract for less than 3 yrs. Unless of course you pay twice as much per month. On Average you should be paying $25-$30 for residential security and $30- $35 for Commercial Security. You think Pro 1 is bad try getting out of a contract with ADT or Brinks, they count the days until your contract ends so they can automatically renew it for another. Good Luck!!!!

Angela Harper Aug 07, 2009

My problem with Protection One is that they did not install what they were hired to install. We had a home under constuction with impact sliders (open walls). We requested a hardwired system. They insisted it was not necessary. We insisted that they hardwire the system since we knew the sliders are designed in such a way the sensors would fall off with the wireless system. We were give some load of garbage about the wireless were better, they were much less noticeable. We said NO. They agreed to hardwire the house, then hardwired the panels (we needed 4, they only would give us 3) and then said OOPs we cannot Hardwire the rest of the house. We insisted and they refused to come out until we agreed to wireless. The costruction was held up over a month because of this company. Finally we said OK put in the wireless. Guess what they constantly fall off and now they want to charge us $99 for a new one since it broke falling off the door. DO NOT DO BUSINESS with this company. We also paid over $1500 in installation for this product, so since I could have bought the system and done it myself for $300 I do not think they need 3 years to recoup!!

• Cd
                        c deming Jul 08, 2011

If they were forthcoming, the 5 year term would appear as a line item that requires an initial by the customer. And, if it takes 3 years to recoup at their current pricing, than why not offer different plans with graduated terms and pricing? If they are proud of their request for a 5 year commitment, why hide the 5 year clause deep within the contract under a section that has nothing to do with the duration of the contract? I see no reason to hide this and not tell your customers up front. No one told me, the sales guy was in a hurry and now I am in a bad situation with my business closing. pretty sleazy protection one! Watch yourself with them, might be better to get robbed outright than install one of their systems!

Protection One — Stay away from Protection One!

My wife and I signed up with them 2 years ago. We are moving to a new home 1 mile away. Their rep assessed...