Picture Me Portrait Studio (CPI)unprofessional, shady practices

M

I have worked for this company for 5 years as an hourly studio manager. Let me enlighten you as to how this company works.

They advertise a $4.99 package for 30 portraits of one pose. Then we're suppose to sell you at least $80 more, or we're written up & fired for low numbers. It doesn't matter how loyal we are to the company, or how good we are. Money talks.

We're harassed via email, and voice mail on a daily basis. Our jobs are constantly threatened because YOU, the customer, can't afford to purchase more. When an employee argues that the economy is bad right now, people can't afford luxury items, we're told this is just an EXCUSE. Do whatever it takes to sell more, or lose your job.

I've spent thousands of dollars on props for my studio, to give the customer what they want. I've gone out of my way to keep things new and fresh, and quite frankly my customers are spoiled.

Corporate doesn't provide ANYTHING other then equipment, cheesy numbers, and a god-awful bear.

I spend a small fortune on lollypops for "My kids" as well as balloons for those who can't have them. I do this because I love my job, and I love what I do. As a result I have a solid clientele base in 3 states. I have people who travel up to 3 hrs or more just so that *I *can photograph their children. What an amazing compliment!!

I will miss you all.

You see, I won't pressure sell. I don't like it when it's done to me, so why would I do that to my customer? In fact I'll go out of my way to show them how to get what they want at a better value. It's why they always come back.

I've trained some of the best photographers in this region, without being paid to do so. I'm the one my Market Manager, and Market Director ask to cover their vacations. I've been offered both jobs at the laughable wage of $28, 000 -$35, 000 a year for either job is NOT incentive for advancement. Since turning down said positions, I've refused to do either training, or cover for them due to no raise in years. I've gone above and beyond, and have had no raise due to "Low Numbers" and yet I'm offered a promotion?

I've won their portrait competitions; I've worked when my doctor wanted me hospitalized, under the threat of losing my job if my studio is "Dark." (Closed) I've been vomiting in the studio and told point blank "You can't leave."

I've also been written up for insubordination when I walked out of the studio the day my 7 yr old daughter broke her arm at school, and my boss said I should be thankful I wasn't fired for leaving.

This is how this company treats US.

Recently we were all told we had to be on call 24/7. We have to work on our days off, even if it is "Just a phone call" - mind you I am an HOURLY manager. I do not get paid to do these things, so I refused.

I recently found my job posted as available online and they (my boss') won't respond to me. So I don't know if I'm fired, or what's going on. Very professional behavior, don't you think??

I emptied my studio yesterday, and it was a sad moment to realize all I've done, all I've accomplished, and what I've lost because THE CUSTOMER can't afford to buy what I shoot.

So for those of you complaining about horrible studio experiences, and how the photographer didn’t know what the hell they were doing, etc. This is why none of the good ones ever stay.

• Th
    The woker Aug 22, 2008

I work for CPI picture me studios as the assistant manager. If I didn't love the children, I'd never do it. Customers yell at me all the time over corporate policies I can't change. I so understand. I'm slowly going bankrupt for all the props that I buy and "they" just keep piling on more and more that they want done everyday. I do what I have to do. I run a $112 average most of the time, but that one day out of 30 that I don't, I get to hear about it...and then hear about it from someone higher up...and then again. Thanks you guys.

Jane Doe Aug 24, 2008

I am DM for this company and have been here more than 3yrs. I have been told that I to will lose my job if my associates do not run the numbers I have 3weeks. I am to write up one week if does not get better we are told to recruit and rehire. We are verbally abused on a regular basis by our regionals and above. I am trying to hang in there until I can find something else. I have a family to support and can't just walk away, but if I can't bully people into buying then they will just fire me any way. No matter how many days in a row I work (6dy 7:00am to 8 or 9:00pm is a day)or the 5oo miles I travel for them a month on my dime. What was I thinking when I took this job? I am sorry to hear about your situation on feel for you since I agree this is a horrible abusive company.

• Sl
    slave to strayer Aug 26, 2008

Yeah, well I can top all of you. I run $100+ averages every single day, and just found out that they're closing my studio due to not shooting the MINIMUM of 40 people a week. I get on average around 20-25 a week, but it is typical for this time of year, as it's slow season in a small town.

Corporate doesn't care that I make more money then most studios that ARE shooting 40 a week. I am closed. I've lost my job without any warning, after 7 years with this f'ing company!! Betrayed doesn't even come close to what I'm feeling right now.

To the DM... I feel your pain! I've watched mine get put into tears compliments of her regional's abuse. I've seen her have to drive 4 hrs to open a "Dark" studio for 10 min, just to say it was open. I've witnessed her rolling coins to scrounge enough money for gas to get to the next "Priority" studio, on day 7 straight with regional breathing down her neck as to why she isn't there yet. I've told her several times to record her Regional. The verbal abuse she puts up with blows my mind! It is illegal to treat your employee's in such a manner, but until enough of us stand up for ourselves, nothing will change. We're all replaceable.

What the hell is wrong with this company?? Nothing has changed since CPI took over, in fact it's gotten worse with their micromanaging BS. With all the new reports and what not, it's like they're phasing out the Dm and MM jobs.

I know a girl who was removed from the schedule for 3 weeks now. One of the best in the region. She hasn't been fired, but we were all told not to speak to her about company business as she is no longer with us. She Hasn't been written up. They just refuse to use her, and are waiting for her to quit, so they don't have to pay her unemployment. Boy are they in for a surprise! Do these ###s even know the labor laws??

CPI is famous for taking over a company and wiping out everyone that dares to voice their opinion. My previous manager who was hourly mind you, was fired 2 months ago because she refused to train anymore for her market manager, aka training the District, which is not in her job description. When she was denied a raise again for the 4th year in a row, she refused to do any extra duties.

She refused to work from home on her days off (confrence calls, scheduling, meetings) She refused to go to the mandatory meetings every single week, because we WILL NOT be reimbursed for traveling. She refused to spend a dime of her own money on balloons, or star bursts the company wants us to use to run a promotion. If they want it, they can provide it! Why go to a meeting you won't be paid for? Why spend our money because THEY want us to? Why should we be asked to work from home and not get paid for it? These people are unbelievable!

So yeah, I feel your pain guys... this company sucks to work for. I love what I do, which is why I've stayed as long as I have. It's like an abusive relationship working for this company. Once your in it for any length of time, you just come to accept it as normal, no matter what they do to us.

• Wo
    Workin4aLivin' Aug 26, 2008

"It's like an abusive relationship working for this company. Once you're in it for any length of time, you just come to accept it as normal, no matter what they do to us."

*Clapping* I couldn't of said it better myself!

I use to run a studio in FL, (3 1/2 yrs) and you all know there is the 13 week rotating average, that allows for a few bad weeks, as long as your 13 week total average is at the min. $80. I had ONE BAD DAY, where no matter what I did, I couldn't get anyone to come in. We're in the middle of hurrican season, and it's been down right scary in my area lately, but that's just an "Excuse" as Mercy said.

I got written up for shooting no one that day. I got a "written" 2 days later for having only a $74 average. A week after that I received my "Final" for running a $67 average. Then I was pulled from the schedule, and fired after not working for 2 weeks.

What is the point of the 13 week rotating average then? I don't care who you are, NO ONE can hold an $80 EVERY SINGLE DAY. We all have bad days. It's a given. According to company policy it's what you have at the end of 13 weeks that counts, but apparently they don't have to play by their own rules.

• Me
    Mercy Aug 26, 2008

Wow... I don't know weather to feel relieved or sad for all of you. It's nice to see I'm not alone.

A note for the parents who happen to read these statements:

1. CPI does NOT drug test prior to employment.

2. I've seen a coke feloney on parole get hired without a GED or diploma. So you can safely assume the screening process is a joke.

3. Background checks are simple, and basic. It's a pedophiles dream job.

4. 9 times out of 10 refrences are NOT checked prior to employment.

Basically if you can read, and write enough to fill out the application, you can get a job working with kids at this company.

cannon Aug 27, 2008

Welcome to my nightmare.

I've been at the Sears Portrait Studio for 8 years. What you at Picture Me are experiencing is just the beginning with this company. Trust me, it WILL get worse.

They won't phase out the DM/MM's - just lighten their workload, so that all they have to do is train, coach, and fire. Keep each District a fine tuned machine. All the other paperwork crap falls onto each studio manager.

Watch out for the "Realignment" it usually happens 6-8 months after digital conversion. You'll know it's coming when suddenly a lot of people are harassed to the point that they quit, get fired, or are just removed from the schedule. They'll start these "Mandatory Meetings" each week for like 5 weeks before the Realignment. This is your corporate Brainwashing. Those who argue any policy or demand are replaced. CPI is of the mind that YOU will do it our way, or someone else will. We're all replaceable.

They're going to clean house, then hire idiots who know nothing at like $12 an hour, which if your like me, you'll be pissed off, and wondering WTF? But here's the thing. Corporate can mold these minions into what they want, and they will do it without question because of the money.

Besides, there’s no one left who would voice an opinion.

Stores will close. You’re going to get down to 1 person a studio, to absorb the strays, and not have to spend $$$ in training. Don’t panic, CPI will send in the suits to scare you into shooting and selling more, so you’ll learn to work together, or cut each other up. Either way they make money so they don’t care.

If you’ve made it this far into their “selection” process, you’re job is secure until January.

Why the hell do I stay here? LOL…. It’s gotta be that abusive relationship!

• Do
    Doe Aug 30, 2008

The sad part about all of this is the company has strayed away from actual photography to promote sales. A lot of the workers in the studios have a fundamental lack of knowledge concerning digital photography, yet are given very sophisticated cameras that they are given minimal training on. To top it off, a lot of studio managers are off on Sundays, and leave inexperienced reps there who largely have to fend for themselves. If knowledge and photography skills would be focused on instead of sales skills, high sales would not be an issue because that would happen naturally.

• Ph
    Photojerk Aug 31, 2008

I agree with you doe. My work sells itself, but I could sell more if I could move the lights, or actually adjust the settings according to the color of the subject.

This company tries to make it "Idiot proof" since for the most part all they hire are "Idiots" (no offence to anyone) We all know about the bodies they hire.

Plus they're into quantity, not quality. It would take time to adjust the settings, and lighting. We can't have that now can we? And that would leave more room for error for those "idiots" who know nothing.

I've been here for 4 1/2 years. This would've been my 5th Christmas, but I've given my notice, and will be gone in 2 weeks. I honestly can't take the BS anymore.

When I shoot one in the morning and I'm sitting on a $149 + average, and I feel the need to lie to customers, and tell them my camera is broken for the rest of the day, just so I can hold onto my average, there is something seriously wrong.

When did sales become more important then the customer? This company has sucked the fun right out of this job.

I feel bad for the customers I leave behind, and the newbies who will no doubt take the brunt of their anger, but I don't love it enough to take the abuse we deal with on a daily basis. When I feel I have to lie to the customer to save my job, I know I've reached my limit.

It's the customer that signs our paychecks. It's the talent of the photographers that keep the customers coming back. Lose the talent, and you'll lose the customer.

CPI will learn this the hard way.

wally mcgeever Sep 02, 2008

I am a relatively new DM. I’ve only been in this position for a year and a half, and quite honestly I don't know how the hell I've made it this far without going postal!

I have 18 stores in my district, and out of the 18 only 14 were dependable. You’ll understand that “were” in a moment.

Corporate solution is to fire everyone, legally or otherwise who cannot maintain the $80 PRS and 40 customers per week. Replace them all. I am forced to treat these employees like they’re a bunch of 2 yr olds. Ride them. Harass them. Basically treat them as I am being treated, which is not encouraging a productive work environment. CPI spent 92 Million dollars on THIS? One would think they’d want a return on their investment. Not a revolving door, but what do I know?

I’ve had to let go some of my best photographers for voicing their opinions. They were aware of the labor laws, and weren’t afraid to inform others, I had to remove them from the schedule to stop the spread of information. Find something, anything on them that I could fire them for, and do so. And they wonder why revenue is DOWN? Why Volume is DOWN? Lets see GENIUS, you made me fire my BEST, and replace them with ###S! When you lose the talent, you LOSE THE CUSTOMERS. You can’t force people to work off the clock. You can’t with hold someone’s overtime. You cannot declare mandatory meetings and then say “No we’re not paying you.” And not expect a negative response. Basically you can’t treat people like ### and expect to get away with it.

So out of the 14 that “were” dependable, I’m now down to 0. Out of 18 studios, I have 0 that are reliable, and I’ve had it. After the mass firing spree I was forced to go on, the rest walked. Regional makes a mess of our entire flipping district, blames ME for it all, and gives ME a time frame to clean up HIS MESS, or I’m fired. Yeah, I’m sure you all can guess what I think of that.

CPI needs to take a nice, long hard look at WHO they have in upper management, and then they’d learn the WHY.

Why is volume down?
    Why is revenue down?
    Why is morale down?
    Why is there a revolving door?

Mark Sep 09, 2008

I went to store #1796 in Amherst NH Sunday evening and had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting Stacy, the new manager. She was busy, which I understand. I have no problem waiting my turn, especially when I can clearly see this girl is doing her “best.” But when I have to wait 45 minutes to be acknowledged, and there is only ONE customer she is currently working with at the computers, then yes I am going to get annoyed.

She knew I was there. She looked up several times, and not once did she say a word to me. Not once. I grabbed a magazine from Wal-Mart, and sat in the studio’s waiting area and read it. When I finished with that one, I got another.

Finally I got sick of waiting, and said, "Excuse me" and Stacy came over and asked how she could help me. Customer service at it’s best right there.

I explained how I was missing photos from my order, and I'd like them re-ordered. I had the envelope with me with the photos that did arrive, the paperwork showing the original order, and the receipt.

Stacy looked everything over, looked back at her customer at the computer, then asked if I could go shopping, and come back in about 30 minutes or so? That she had to finish up with her sale, and then she could re-order my pictures.

I told her politely that no, I can't do that. I've all ready waited an hour at this point, for something that should've been a 5 min fix. It's their mistake, and I'd like it fixed please. I'm trying to remain calm, and be civil, and Stacy actually ROLLED HER EYES AT ME! She told me that I could either wait for her to finish with her current customer, or come back at another time.

I asked if I could have customer service’s phone number that maybe they could help me, and she said she didn’t know it. So I asked if I could speak to a manager, and she said she WAS the manager! This floored me. What manager doesn’t know how to contact customer service? A new one apparently. And a poorly trained one at that, but I digress.

Stacy told me there was nothing more she could do for me, she gave me my options, wait, or come back, and she went back to her customer at the computer. Apologizing TO HER, for the wait! Can you believe that?

I have been going to this studio for 5 years, and I don’t know what happened to the previous manager, but had she of been there, THIS wouldn’t have occurred.

THEY made a mistake, and pictures are missing from my order. Stacy made me wait an hour was juvenile, then thought I’d wait longer, or come back to fix what shouldn’t have happened to begin with? No. That is not customer service.

Once I have what is owed to me, I will never use their services again, and would strongly recommend everyone else do the same.

S.A. Braff Sep 09, 2008

If some of these CPI employees would look at where Picture Me was verses where they are now, it might help them understand somethings. First, if CPI hadn't purchased PCA(former owners) a year ago, none of us would have a job today. PCA would never have come out of Chapter 11 and would have been forced into bankruptcy. Second CPI has invested over 25 million to bring Pic Me current with Digital equipment. Not to mention what they spent to purchase PCA and the Debt service they took over. In fact CPI's stodk value went from $80 per share in April of 07 to under $20 a share now. They have to make Pic Me a money making concern. They have to ask for more then Pic Me's previous performance and sales average.
    As far as the addional work being placed on studio managers, each one got a $1.50 raise when they accepted the position in May. As far as hiring practices go, if the Studio Manager have not checked references before they turn the applicant over to the DM for approval, who is at fault?
    Yes CPI has made some misstakes. They have no clear idea of the Wal-Mart Customer's desires. They will learn, if we help them. Not run and complain the first time going gets tough. I've been in sales management for over 25 years and there is 2 kinds of employees, winners and complainers. In sales, that is what our business is, you, the sales person will achieve what you really really want to. It is up to you. By the way any sales managment position has a ton of reports and paper work.
    Yes I've been hurt, CPI eliminated my positon as a Trainer. A postion I really enjoyed, but now I am a studio manager and I enjoy it too. THINK POSITIVE!
    Let be positive and show CPI that it wasn't the fields fault that PCA had problems. DMS most are going to a meeting soon, voice your concerns!

• Jc
    JC Sep 19, 2008

Same exact story only in the Mesa, Az store, only worse. Where do they hire these rude, arrogant, flunkies???

APhotographerWhoCares Sep 20, 2008

I highly agree with every complaint here. I myself work for PictureMe Studios and have been dealing with almost ALL of these issues lately. I was so shocked when I read all of these complaints because I thought the higher managers were just picking on my studio but it is good to know we are not alone in this. In my opinion this company has gotten alot worse since we went digital and I don't expect things to get any better.

Some people say we should stop complaining but when you do your job and try your best and still get put down on a daily basis and your being threatened by upper management that your going to be written up or fired for the stupidest things its hard not to complain. The upper management in my district are a very unproffessional, unorganized, group of people who I wouldn't trust to hold a knife for me, it would be my luck they would stab me in the back with it. Its easy to say "don't complain" but I am being treated like dirt and I have let it go on way to long and I am not going to deal with it anymore. I have been made to work holidays without holiday pay, I never hear from upper management unless my average is too low, you know, there is no way they will have time to call or email me and say "Hey, your doing good, keep up the good work!" and the posing thing is making me nuts! I am constantly getting griped at because I can't "make" everybodys child stay on the table to take 7 poses.

That is one of main problems, not every child is going to let you get the pictures that you are required to take, sometimes it is just impossible. I have been told to tell the customer that I cannot sell any pictures to them without taking 7 poses unless they just wanted to buy by the sheet, how ridiculous is that?! Back during Christmas of 07' I actually sold a $59.99 with only one single pose. There is no reason to tell a customer what they can and can't buy after their sitting.

Our job description changes on a daily basis which is no way to run a successful business. They have associates doing things that are the responsibility of managers, I am in that situation right now and the way I see it, I didn't ask to be a manager so I should'nt be expected to do their job. I feel like this company went digital way too soon, they dont have their facts straight, they are constantly changing prices, they don't live up to their return policy and they don't care about their customers. Its all about money, money, and more money.

There have been times that I have explained our return policy to customers and they get ill because they don't like it (I don't either, I agree with them 100%) and call customer service and what do they do? They tell the customer something totally different and then the customers get mad at you because they think you lied to them.

I knew things were going to get bad the first day I met my digital trainer. All she did was brag about how the company chose her as a trainer and how proud she was to finally be a professional photographer. Sorry folks but thats a lie, some of us are awesome photographers but we are NOT professionals.If we were we would not be working in a chain store studio. She also had nothing good to say about anybody in the company except the managers she had to kiss up to and her friends that she works with. She targeted one associate in particular that worked in the studio I was training in. She had NOTHING good to say about this associate, she even went as far as to use her pictures as examples of "what not to do" when shooting a sitting. She was talking about her one day during lunch and she said "she runs her mouth about me all the time and I don't understand why", HELLO!!! I can't think of a reason why she would talk about you either you dummy!

In my studio we get no praise for doing a good job, we only get put down when things are not going so good. We have no support at all. I feel like I have way to much to much talent to stay in a studio like this. I thought by working for PictureMe I could gain confidence and learn more about photography but thats not what I am getting out of it. I am more confident but the only thing working here has taught me is that sometimes in life, you just have to stand up for what is right. You can't let people walk all over you no matter how hard they try. I LOVE photography, I want it to be my career for the rest of my life but when I walk into my studio, I just don't feel it, I would much rather be doing something else. I hope that in some way this helps somebody else who is going through this and I want to thank all of the associates managers for being so honest about the way this company treats their employees.

Gossip is "in style" in my district and that is something I have no use for. I don't care about my employers personal problems, this is work, leave all that mess at home. NOBODY cares!

wally mcgeever Sep 22, 2008

Our District is falling apart. Everyone is either quitting, getting fired, or just plain doesn't care anymore.

We are running a skeleton crew, with studios always needing coverage, which leaves OTHER studios with the same person working 24/7. These people are burning out, and their numbers reflect it. They will be on the "Recruit and Replace" list very soon, which sucks, because it's this type of dedication that we WANT in our company. Corporate doesn't see it that way though. All they see is the bottom line.

When did hard work & loyalty cease to matter?

Our own employees don't want to be there! Why then would the customer want to come in? We have GOT to do something to build morale!

Threats have the opposite of the desired effect. Threats do not improve performance. Threats of the Regional being in the area, threats of write ups, or losing their jobs only make an associate miserable for the rest of the day. They take it out on their customers, which reflects in their sales. It's not rocket science, and yet this is the only tactic used why again??

When the Market Manager whines over voice mail how he/she may lose his/her job if the numbers don't come up, and you hear the desperation in their voice, do you think this "Scare tactic" is any more effective? No. Half the district is sitting down deliberately doing nothing hoping it's true.

Common sense is seriously lacking in this corporation.

wally mcgeever Sep 23, 2008

I had a similar situation in the same location (NH) with the same girl. She was extreemly rude, her photography was horrible, (Feet were cut off, off center, text was missing, mis spelt words, etc.) and when I pointed these obvious errors out, she actually asked me "Well do you want them or not?"

That would be not.

Then I had to wait 25 min while she tried to find someone who could help her do a refund, after she argued with me over policy, something about a 50% refund, to which I pointed out this was HER ERROR. Therefore according to the sign posted, I was entitled to a full refund. Then she tried to say I had to wait for a check from corporate, due to the amount, and I told her to call corporate now, as I wasn't waiting, and I wanted this resolved.

Needless to say I got my money back, and I will never return to that studio, nor will I ever use Picture ME's services again. I'd rather pay more elsewhere, and know the product I'm getting is quality. Not to mention better customer service.

I wasted 2 weeks, and $149. Now I have to wait 2 more weeks for that charge to be returned to my credit card, before I can go elsewhere, and I've lost my son's "First" pictures. I can't get that time back.

It was frustrating, infuruating, and exhausting.

Thank you for nothing Stacy.

• We
    wentpostal Sep 25, 2008

Oh My Gosh!! I am relieved yet saddend by how true my feelings were! I am an hourly associate who took the managers position at first but had to give it up (which I am reminded isn't how it works so I should be thankful to still have a job). They did not train us new managers for what they wanted done. We are now doing the work of our DM's so he can do what? Have a break? The other girl of 5 years quit and it's only me and a floater that is terrible. I have worked here a year (still haven't gotten my picture package...won't hold my breath) and I can't believe how long I have stayed...it is like an abusive relationship, I actually feel terrible for not doing perfect. Our store has two other stores within reasonable distance and so our traffic is way down. Not sure how that's our fault that it's the economic depression that is causing people not to spend $300 on pictures..but that's just an "excuse"! People can't afford their homes or car payments but they can blow money on pictures. I am not the best sales person, I admit, but I will not force anyone to buy something they don't want!!

Here's an idea, let's not sell the AO for 4.99!! Hike it up a bit so that we aren't giving pics away, or maybe reduce the package way down...DUH!! I had to deal with a light control box issue for TWO WEEKS!!! I was on the phone with tech everyday and they sent different parts and told me to do different things, ya, it works for now but it's just "patched". I asked the guy if they ever send someone to actually look at the equipment and he said, "The company doesn't really like to do that"!!! OMG!!

So I am no longer manager but was asked to go to the mgr. meeting and I was shocked at what they are having to do...practically run their own "business" as it was put! Well, we make an hourly wage and have to be on call everyday and fix our own problems and budget our own money and etc...sheesh! And I was harrassed at least 3 times about coming back into the position. It's so secretive and shady now...I don't like it! Oh and I met our Regional and he's a sexual harrasment lawsuit waiting to happen...gotta love the quality of people that we work for! One of our bosses called me the night before to tell me to dress nice for our Regional because "he likes his girls looking nice"...yuck yuck yuck!!!

I have never asked for a whole weekend off...I have worked when asked, done everything in my power, bought props, been great to customers, love being with the kids, but when I ask for a weekend off after a year on the job, I was told, "we'll see"!! No, it's like, "I'm going whether I gotta quit" They are pushing the good ones away and hiring any piece of crap to work there given they can sell!

They don't care what you have to do to get to work, you better get there!!! A girl at another store broke her toe and they told her to take some extra strength tylenol and keep working, she needed to go to the doctor!! I had a blow out and almost wrecked and the first words out of my DM's mouth..."how long will it take you to cover the studio"!!

It sickens me to know that they really don't care anything about you...they have sold their souls to work here and I won't!! When I was given the mgr. position, the other associate was manager and they never told her, they just slowly took her off the schedule until she was in tears wondering what was going on...I finally begged my DM to tell her since I wasn't allowed to. After she found out she went postal and was doing things wrong out of spite...they wouldn't fire her though, they waited until she quit so she couldn't get unemployment. I saw her the other day and she looked 10 years younger not being in this stressful job!!

I don't quit because, one I do need a job and two I don't want to leave a mess, I do take pride in being a good employee and they force us to not be!

I hate to agree with the statement about the lady saying she turned away customers when she had a good avg but that is how it's got to be done now...I hate when a AO blows my pkg plus 3 up sale!!!

• Ha
    HaveMercy Sep 27, 2008

According to the new handbook, you have to be with the company for 5 years before you get a free portrait package, so you've got another 4 yrs of hell before you see that, Pictureme Fed Up.

I agree they should shrink the AO, or raise the price to reflect the amount of pictures, but they can't get people in now at $4.99, imagine what would happen if they raised it? LOL... I get a kick out of it now, as I've stolen most of my regular customers, hence their sudden drop in revenue. oopsie. And I can tell you I do not have some ridiculously low priced AO. But my people get what they pay for. That is where this company goes horribly wrong. But it works for me. *wink*

I love what I do, and being fired for a "Violation of company Policy" via email (yeah, wasn't that nice? lol) will not stop me from doing what I love. It's actually made me get off my butt and get my own business started. It's great having creative freedom, and no rules other then my own. I made more money in one day, then I did in a week working for Picture Me.

THAT is priceless.

For those of you still stuck in that Picture ME rut... ask yourselves Why? We all have bills to pay, and any job will do that. Why are you staying where you're not appreciated, and abused on a daily basis? The christmas season is almost here, which means it's only going to get worse. But the upside to that is other places are now hiring like crazy.

Get out while you can.

Cameron Sep 27, 2008

I am the former manager of that location, and can't believe how horribly wrong things have gone since my departure 2 months ago. I am soo sorry you guys! That studio was built on MY reputation, and to see what's being done to it hurts more then you will ever know.

To my local angry customers, I hear your pain! Please feel free to email me. I am willing to shoot locally, and will come to you. My prices are reasonable, and I can do amazing portraiture you won't find anywhere else.

I've been a photographer for 12 years. Had a brain cramp and gave corporate a try for 4 years (never again) and am now back to freelance photography. It is my passion. Let me show you what you've been missing!

• Se
    Sears Photo Sucks Oct 05, 2008

I've gotta agree with everything above. Well, I guess I can't completely agree since I was over at SPS, but PictureMe sounds exactly the same. If you've got any stories, hop over to my website which my name may be a link to or just type in "Sears Portrait Studio Sucks" into google and you'll find me.

What really got me is you get no recognition for doing well, but the moment your sales average went down you were in trouble. This is a job where you will get sales experience, not photography experience and it's sad that everyone goes in getting to think they'll get to, you know, be creative.

• To
    TomakeMoney Oct 07, 2008

How many of you are having issues with the online appointment scheduling? I had a group of 11 booked for 10am that must have booked after I closed, as it wasn't on the appt sheet when I printed it the night before. So I had NO TIME to call and warn these people that I can't fit 11 people in my tiny little studio.

Needless to say they went up one side of me, and down the other, and will never return. All due to a computer that can't discern between studios and what we can and can't do. Not to mention the computer only allotted me 30 min for this group, which is impossible, and a newborn baby was booked right behind this.

How hard would it be to have each studio in put the max they can photograph at one time? (Not hard at all) Why haven't they also included a spot for ages on the online appointment scheduler so that we know what is coming at us? It shouldn't matter my ###. Get two newborns back to back, which are not in the mood to be poked, and moved. Who need a feeding, change, etc. and then tell me you can shoot them, and sell in 30 min. YOU CAN'T. Not quality photographs anyways.

Christmas is going to be a nightmare, and I plan on being gone wayyy before that happens. Can you imagine customers unwittingly booking online appts every 15 min. ?? They're going to be pissed when they show up for that mob. At least over the phone you can warn them, and it's their choice to brave it or not.

I'm sick of coming home stressed out, and worried for my job after an 11 hr day, because my sales weren't what corporate wants. I'm tired of being yelled at, written up, and berated over voice mail due to "performance." It's not my fault everyone is broke. Deal with it. I was told to never turn someone away, so I end up at the studio until 8-9pm every single night. We close at 6pm!!

I'm the only one who works at this studio. I'm lucky to get one day off every two weeks. I can't deal with this. Nothing I ever do is good enough.

This is not worth $11 an hr.

• Va
    Valerie Oct 14, 2008

I totally agree with everyone, I walked out of my studio after 11 years.
    I was told I couldn't take a 2 week leave when I broke my foot.
    CPI policies suck & I will be happy when the company folds, its only a matter of time.

• Lc
    LC Oct 15, 2008

Glad I'm not the only one that hated working there.I watched a friend of mine get fire while on leave cause she just had a baby.One that took her along time to have cause she kept having miscarriages.One because of the same Dm that fired her on leave would not let her go to the hospital when she was bleeding.But this was back when it was PCA not CPI.I worked for CPI once and they arent so bad if you work for the other side not the walmart picture me side.

• Wo
    wow Oct 15, 2008

Yep. I've only been with this company for about 3 months. I'm shocked at the things my district manager does. The job itself isn't bad. I like it just find. I don't even mind all the reports. The new EVP system is great!!! The studio managers are getting a lot more control over their own studios. I don't like how my district manager runs off my employees. I can't keep staff! Plus I can only offer them a low low pay. I've had to work wayyy too many 7 day weeks, and I don't understand why managers are required to close every saturday. However, I'm stuck until I find something else. It pays wayyy to well. I mean, the SPIFF is spectacular. I hate the 4.99 package, but I know that running a higher average is not that hard. Just take spectacular pictures, do your session planning, suggest suggest suggest...and just make sure people know you are the best at this...AND the cheapest. I rarely have people walk out just spending 4.99. Of course, they aren't spending much more, and I want to just cry sometimes...but it's a tiny victory. I definitely want out as soon as I can.

Cannon Oct 20, 2008

I was trained by the best in this region, and deeply regret losing her due to corporate politics. But she left me with a bit of advice that I will pass on to all of you.

"Love what you do, and it will show in your work. When it becomes a 'JOB' it's time to get out."
    **************************************************************
    I had to train my manager to do her job, who has now after 2 months decided that I don't know how to do MY JOB, and that I was never trained properly. I find this laughable. As I said before, I was trained by the best in this region. I think that alone pisses her off.

But in order to keep this job I have to go through the motions of allowing this ### to "Re-Train" me with everything that I taught HER - which was taught to me by the best.

Does anyone else find this odd? lol

• Dr
    DRESKI Oct 21, 2008

THIS COMPANY SUCKS ### THESE [censor]S THAT WORK THERE ARE WHORES AND SKANKS TRYING TO RIP EVERY BODY OFF I HOPE THESE [censor]S GET FIRED AND BECOME BROKE AND THIS IS THE WAL-MART LOCATION IN POST FALLS SHAME ON THOSE HO'S>>>>

• Je
    Jen Oct 26, 2008

I think it is wrong for someone to roll their eyes at you and how frustrating that must be to wait for so long to be helped! At the same time, when I read these complaints, someone is either complaining because the photographer won't stop everything and help them (even if they don't have an appointment or don't realize that maybe a phone call could have fixed the problem) or complaining because the photographer is trying to take pictures of their customers and answer phones and deliver pictures and make appointments and reorder photos and make sure the lousy parent is sitting next to the table instead of walking to their shopping cart to grab a cute bow or prop while baby (cute enough without that stuff) is rolling off the table. Seriously people! We need to get it together. If we are going to go to a discount portrait studio to get good shots at a reasonable price, then we need to understand that in order to receive those reasonable prices, we are going to have to be patient with one person running the show. The reason why they can offer us such a great deal is because they don't have to put as much into their labor budget. Can it be frustrating? Sure. But whatever happened to people being decent with each other? And that goes on both ends. I know that when I see someone who has lousy customer service, I am irritated, but at the same time I don't always know the whole story or know if that person is having the worst day of their life. Why is it when people walk into Wal-Mart, they leave their humanity and common sense at the people greeters stations. It's like as soon as you hear "Welcome to Wal-Mart" the devil comes out. Makes sense though I guess, it is Wal-Mart. And manager lady... get it together... all people want is to be noticed and feel taken care of, no matter how busy you are. Maybe you could take a time management class or at least stop by the vision center to see if they can fix that nasty eye rolling condition you have!

• Lo
    Loving PictureME Oct 28, 2008

I have worked for this company as an hourly studio manager for a little over 6 years. Let me enlighten you on the points that you are right and the ones that are totally off base!

The company does advertise a $4.99 package for over 30 portraits of one pose. And it is our job to try and sell the customer more portraits. The average the company expects us to run is an $80. Our managers utilize email and voicemail to let us know how our studios are performing and to let us know what we need in order to make our goals.

Now let me start on the things that are totally off base! How is it considered harassment when our managers use voicemail and email to communicate what our studios need to be doing better? How is it that even though our economy is suffering greatly right now that the studios and employees in my area are running the numbers we are supposed to run? As for the props in your studio, my studio has a ton of nice props that have been sent to us by corporate as well as some I have purchased on my own. I did spend my own money on them but the money I have made in commission by using them has far exceeded what I paid for them. Lollipops and balloons? Those are against corporate policy so why are you buying them? I have worked in numerous districts in numerous states and have met almost all of the upper levels of management. If you are doing your job they take very, very good care of you. In fact, I have received 3 different raises this year for good performance. With that being said, I do NOT pressure into sales. I simply follow all sales scripts and tips we are given and the good photography sales itself. As far as being written up when you walked out of the studio, I'm sure theres more to that story than you are willing to tell. "Dark" (closed) studios are absolutely unacceptable and as studio manager it is YOUR job to make sure it does not happen. If you were with the company in the conversion from PCA to CPI you were given the studio manager job description and you could either continue with that and know that there were going to be extra responsibilities (with a raise for doing them) or you could step down to a regular associate. Part of that studio manager job description states that you are responsible for your studio making comp. sales, being opened during the scheduled hours, hiring and training all new associates, and you are also responsible for the consequences of not performing those duties. As far as corporate only providing equipment, cheesy numbers and an awful bear...apparently you haven't heard about the great new things coming to us at the first of the year, including a green screen that will make background choices absolutely endless.

I have interviewed many, many people for positions in this company. The first thing they are told is that this is A PERFORMANCE BASED SALES COMPANY!! We are sales people first and digital photographers second. If your job is being threatened then do something about it!! Get out from behind the counters, stop sitting down reading books on the clock and get out there and talk to people and get them in the doors!!

Now to move on to address some of the comments left about other issues...

To "The Worker" if you cant afford the props then don't buy them!

To "Jane Doe" your area obviously has not been running the numbers it needs to for quite some time. This company constantly gives you chances and help in getting numbers up to standard. As far as traveling 500 miles a month on your dime, that is complete and total crap. All DM's are paid .35 a mile for travel.

To "Slave2thegrind" $100+ averages are amazing but if you do not have the volume what good is it? And I'm sure that if you are running that kind of average you were offered a position in another studio that is not closing. By the way, it was not corporate's decision on what stores to close, it was Walmarts. As far as your previous manager being fired for refusal to train, it IS in her job description if she was the studio manager!!

To "Mercy" again, CPI does random drug testing, with the background checks you will NOT be hired if you have a felony, references are checked, and you do have to have a high school diploma or GED.

To "Photojerk" I'm amazed you haven't already been fired!! Why would you LIE and turn away customers? Learn good photography and the portraits will sell themselves!

To " S.a. Braff" AMEN

To "PictureMe Fedup" I have 3 studios within 15 minutes of me and we ALL have volume and average, what's your excuse now? And the part about "Oh, since I do actually have a day off...I am always so depressed when I am home, I get nothing done because I really dread going to work the next day!! I feel sick when I come to work, that's not good!" See my note to everyone at the end for comment on that one!!

To "Sears Photo Sucks" you obviously have to much time on your hands if we can find your site simply by typing "Sears Portrait Studio Sucks" into google. Grow up!

To "Tomakemoney" If you can't shoot a group of 11 in 30 minutes something is wrong. And yes, I can shoot 2 newborns back to back that are in a bad mood in less than 30 minutes total and they are great portraits. Just ask my regular customers! And if you are sick of going home stressed out etc etc, you also need to read my comment at the end of this!!

To "Blahpms" If you are going through re-training there's obviously something you are doing wrong!!

TO EVERYONE COMPLAINING: IF YOU HATE YOUR JOB AND THIS COMPANY AS BAD AS YOU SAY...THERE'S THE DOOR, DON'T LET IT HIT YOU WHERE THE GOOD LORD SPLIT YOU!!!

• 1h
    [email protected] Oct 29, 2008

Since beginning working here, the expectations of what CPI has for their houlry low-paid part-timers is rediculous. I applied for a job less than a mile from where I lived because I don't have the world's most reliable car. I got a call @ 8:45 in the am the day they hired me and expected me to begin my 'training' in a town 70 miles away that I had never been to in an hour and 15 min. Needless to say I didn't get there by 10 am instead I got there @ 10:40, but to top that off, the DM who called me sent me to the wrong store. And of course for 45 min I was unable to get a hold of them tofind out where i was supposed to go. The girl at the studio suggested I go to the next studio over (another 15 min drive) . I did and got there about 11:20. The 'Trainer" they assigned me was rediculous with the lack of knowledge she had. By the time she got me 'clocked' in it was 11:40. Guess what.. CPI has YET to pay me for that hour from being sent to the wrong store to getting to the right one and clocking in.
    I have entire laundry list of unprofessional AND illegal things that CPI is trying to put on us part-timers.
    this by far is the WORST job I have EVER had.

APhotographerWhoCares Oct 31, 2008

I understand the above comment but you have to consider that you don't work in every single district and therefore you may not know the shady things that go in them. You say if we don't like our job we should quit but some of us, myself included, went into this job with excitement and promise. We didn't expect to be treated like dirt in the future. Some of us don't have a brand new job to fall back on, that can take time, especially when your looking for something you love and not cheating yourself. Nobody in the world deserves to be treated like some of us are being treated. I have actually started standing up for myself in my studio and things are getting a bit better but not much. My studio has a new manager and a new associate. Our manager has very, very, little experience. That is absolutely crazy to me. I still plan to go soon but right now all I care about is making beautiful memories. Anyways guys, wait it out till you find something better because believe me, you will. Good Luck! :)

Jane Doe Nov 02, 2008

I am so sick of you people who see what you buy and then complain thinking you deserve something. I am a photographer and I don't nor will I except customers BS about they deserve this or that. You buy it or you dont. If you dont, go elsewhere. I don't need your annoyance. I am very good at what I do and have the customer flow to prove it. Pissing off your photographer is like pissing off your hair dresser.

Jane Doe Nov 02, 2008

To loving me. BS my district is running the numbers and it was not until Sept that the 35C came into play and that is if your Regional gets it in on time. Before commenting maybe you shoulf read a little better, being it was stated that she could not fit 11 in her camera room, and not many can shoot in 30m session and I can guarantee that you can not do it all the time.

• Na
    nanner Nov 04, 2008

Hello!I recently was terminated from national studio much the same as sears. Was a SM. Been shooting for 30 years. Was treated much like you. My DM was from CPI. Thanks, I know understand the mentality of her. Horrible manager. Makes you wonder how these folks make it to that level. I was looking to jump the creek and go to cpi. I wonder if this is a good idea. I can not believe the complaints that pic me and sears have.It is an eyeopener. Good luck to you. A word of advise, sales ave can be increased if you believe it can, quality photos will sell themselves. Keep making memories and everything will fall in place.

• We
    wentpostal Nov 06, 2008

Loving Picture Me...where do you work because you got the dream store!! We ARE told to buy balloons, that isn't against policy...I can show you the email from my DM!! As the other said, some studios CANNOT fit 11! I worked in one where we could barely fit 6 plus having two associates and more waiting, it was unbearable. I can't stand the appt schedule because if they schedule another appt at closing, I'm going to snap. I live an hour a way and they WILL NOT pay mileage!! We have gone through two managers in two months...they think they can train anyone to do it. They have to have the photographer experience so that they can focus on the running of the studio business.

On the upside, things are getting better with us now going to the limited sheet AO and session fee and 9.99 enhancement fee...thank goodness and about time!!

Now, I'm tired of not being able to get ahold of my dm...you can call her and she will not pick up, you can leave messages and she will not call back, then she sends an email barking at us because we aren't doing good...well, if we could talk to her!!

We are threatend daily...it's always, do this or lose your job, better do this, you will lose your job!!!

Most of us aren't complaining to be babies but if we could get some recognition for being reliable and good then maybe we could enjoy our jobs a little more!!

Good luck this Christmas season!!!

• Va
    Vaughn Nov 26, 2008

I've worked at Sears Portrait Studio, we were the best in our district, mostly due to loyal customers who came back time and time again for every occasion suc as birthdays, easter, thanks giving, christmass, fourth of july, every single year passed at school, and even just because they were in the area.
    They would always come spacificly for my manager Terri who was awesome, but hiring new people and training brought our numbers down, and the company never cared about the customer or the photographer in any way, telling us to "shoot 15 seperate poses indescriminant of age or ability"... they wanted 5 full legnths, 5 3/4ths, 3 close ups, one extremem close up and one "creative" shot. and if we didnt achieve atleast 12 of the 15 we were written up, and they had to be seperate poses, try that with a 90 year old woman, or a 2 month old baby.
    Needless to say, after 12 years my boss left, so did her clientel when they found out.
    I've opened my own studio since and am doing well, pleasing the customer, not my wallet.
    I am glad some one had the nerve to say something public.

• La
    Laura Nov 28, 2008

I had an awful experience today at Sears. We come year every year and I usually buy them all! My family consists of 5. Mom, Dad, 3 boys ages 16, 15, 13. We all dressed in matching tops and jeans. Easy enough right? We arrived promptly for our appointment and waited. No problem, it's a busy day. During the shoot she (the photographer) kept the white sheet as the background and never changed it. Honestly, I didn't pick up on it until after reviewing the photos. We waited for 30 minutes or so for our photos to be ready for viewing. Meanwhile, my family is getting restless. Teenage boys and husbands don't appreciate this process as much as I do. Finally, our photos. What a disappointment. First rule of photography should be posing your subjects...if you can't do this...why are you in this line of work? As I am looking them over I realize that I hate all of the "family shots". I don't order them. What about our holiday cards? The sales person shows me a card that has a couple different shots available. Okay, let's try that. I find 3 shots that will make up a "family holiday card" $50 for 30 holiday cards. Next she crops in a couple shots and adds a background...okay that helped a little. I later discover her correcting them will cost dearly! I decide on 1 8x10- 3 5x7's. She asks if I would like the disk for $39...I always buy one to put in a safe in case of fire. After another 10 minute wait at the ONE register..I about stroke when I hear the total of $173.40. For what? I look over to my family and can see that they are more than ready to go...(our appointment was at 10:30 a.m...it's almost 1:00 p.m.)
    I decide to go...let's get lunch and look them over. We walk across the street to have lunch. I can't get over how badly we are posed. My husband asked what I ended up with and about fell out of his chair when I showed him. I call Sears and explain my disappointment. The manager, Kim, tells me there is nothing wrong with the photos and she can only offer another sitting. Could I come back tomorrow? I explained I couldn't because my step son (16 year old) is only here for the day and he lives 2 1/2 hours away. I call customer service and ask for the district manager's contact information. Sorry, we can't give that information out. I explain the entire situation to CS rep who states that is Sears policy. I can only get a refund for $40 (some prints) because now my disk will be $120 and they are not refundable. The disk with these horrible pictures cost me $120--what happen to the $39 dollars I was charged. That was with your portrait purchase. Now, I will pay full price. Don't you think someone should have told me that? It wasn't a secret that I didn't care much for the photos when I was selecting them, again I was trying to make the best of it. We were never offered a retake then and there on the spot. No one has contacted me from Sears. I asked CS to have a district manager contact me. I'm extremely disappointed in my photos and the lack of customer service. If anyone is interested in seeing these photos...email me at: [protected]@ao0l.com, I would be happy to share this horrible experience with you and would welcome your feedback!

Laura
    Bloomington, Illinois

APhotographerWhoCares Dec 01, 2008

Hi Laura, I am a photographer at PictureMe Studios but we are also owned by the same company as Sears. I understand your frustration. Holiday portraits are a huge deal. I have to say, you saw the pictures that were taken and you had the choice to buy them or not to buy them so a full refund is a bit unreasonable. However, I can't agree with a photographer not knowing how to pose subjects, if you can't do that, you don't need to be a photographer. It was also not right for the photographer to not explain pricing to you. If I were you, I would have demanded a reshoot before leaving. Yes you were already in the sales process but you still had an appointment and they should have glady reshot the pictures. Since a full refund is not possible, maybe you should schedule a reshoot with a better photographer, like the manager or something. We create memories so customer satisfaction is key! I can tell sometimes when customers really dont like what they see, I just wish they would speak up and make their concerns known before making a purchase, that makes the problem easier to fix. Don't back down on this, make sure you get what you paid for. :) Hope this helps. Happy Holidays!

• Un
    unknown Dec 02, 2008

Listen these people work for Sears and walmart portraits studios making 6.50 - $7 an hour. No they don't have experience, but they are attempted to be trained within 21 hours on how to shoot your portraits, run the cash register and know all the sales process. I guarentee you wouldn't do the job of this and having rude people treat you like s*** for this amount of money. If you want professional pictures go to a professional photographer. If you want to spend $4o you are going to get $40 worth of portraits. Give me a break and put yourself in someone else's shoes. Most of these women working at these stores are trying to take care of thier kids because the fathers aren't, so be glad someone was there to take your cheap pictures.

• Ho
    Howard Dec 10, 2008

I am DM and have been told by corporate that the Sears side of the business is struggling mightily this holiday season. Wal*Mart studios doing okay in sittings but Dec-Dec comps will still be down 10-20%. We have all been told no more bonuses in 2008 and confidentially I have been told that payroll will be an issue in 2009, unless business can recover in last 2 weeks before Christmas. Three DMs I konw have started looking for new jobs for 2009, as they don't expect company to survive much longer. So complainer may get last laugh.

I agree the company was #s driven but that's sales. Business was okay until this year. But there is a lot of talk about Wal*Mart changing the deal (again) and that would probably end things even sooner. W*M loves to squeeze margins.

Cameron Dec 19, 2008

Key issues here:

1. MM's, DM's, and Regionals: Corporate needs to take a serious look at who are in these positions, and what their turn around is like.
    I've seen a MM struggle with expenses, because corporate doesn't reimburse in a timely manner.(that's with handing in expenses on time)
    I've seen DM's get promoted who were caught stealing, had sexual harassment suits filed, as well as child abuse reports.
    And Regionals are glorified paper pushers/babysitters who haven't actually stepped into the field in so long they have no idea how to do said job anymore, let alone how to make it better.

Until corporate gets a handle on the above mentioned, nothing for the little people will ever change.

For the ### who basically stated those who have "dared" complain here are full of it, I suggest you enjoy the ride. It will be over for you soon enough. Then you'll understand.

• Bl
    Bloodsweatandtears Dec 22, 2008

I worked for CPI for over as a studio manager for over 14 years, until I was fired because numbers were down for the first time ever. I grew the business from low volume to super high volume during my tenure. I was nominated for studio manager of the year on several occasions, and often traveled to assist other studios. I was 6 weeks from retirement when I was terminated. I found my job posted online before I was ever approached by my DM, who began writing me up for "poor performance". Instead of trying to help me fix the sales/sittings decline this DM instead LIED about time he spent in my studio- a two day visit was actually him showing up after 5:00 pm to bounce a ball around the studio for an hour and then leaving. The next day's visit consisted of him not showing up at all. I'm not sure why I was deemed unworthy of guidence and counseling from my DM, but I'm thinking it has something to do with my refusal to have a relationship outside of work with him. Too bad... I was one of the "good guys" who actually cared about this company.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices