Midwest Clearing, Inc.Fraud business practices!

On November 7th, a woman came to my door selling magazines for Midwest Clearing Inc. I told her I had too many magazines already and didn't need anymore. She told me that I could buy 3 magazines for a special deal and send them to the tent cities in New Orleans and make someones Christmas. I listened to her - that was a big mistake. So in December, I started receiving 3 magazines, magazines I have no interest in but magazines that I believed the people of New Orleans would have an interest in. One is on Computer games (I hate computer games), second is raising children (I don't have any) and the third is family life. (I don't have one)

I called them, informed them of their mistake, asked them to right it, they haven't called me back and I have just now recieved another magazine from them today. I just filed fraud with the BBB in Chicago Illinois, and I am now writing this. I plan on documenting this on the web as many places as possible. And because of this fraud, I have posted a NO Soliciting sign on my door, I am tired of this kind of crap, it is plain and simple FRAUD. And Fraud not just for me who has lost $140.00 but also the people I was trying to help in New Orleans.

I want my money back, period. I do not believe that they will at this point make it right and send it where it needs to go. I even questioned the gal multiple times at the door and told her "are you sure you can do this" and she just kept saying oh yeah (Under the address of where to send the magazines, she wrote something about the tent city in New Orleans etc..- I am sure this company has taught their contractors to lie to get the sale. She even told me it is tax deductible, which was untrue. This type of behavior gives magazine sales people the same type of reputations as used car saleman and frankly they have now wrecked it for further people.

January 11th, update, called Family Fun - one of the magazines to tell them about the fraud. Plan on doing that with all three of them. Was told that they said that the magazine subscription came from National Publisher Exchange in Florida - and gave me a phone number. She says they sell these things all the time. So I call the number - it is disconnected. I look it up on the web, it has been shut down. I do a google search and there are several complaints about this company. Frustration continues.

Donna Dec 08, 2007

Same thing happened to me. But my story was that I was helping the young man that was selling me the magazines. I was paying more for 2 years worth of magazines than getting it directly from the magazine company. The extra was for this young man to have a place to live and get education. I paid $210.00 for 3 magazines for 2 years. First I had to call them when I never received a magazine until 3 or 4 months. They refunded me for one magazine and said that the People magazine no longer was with their program. I started to receive the other 2 magazines then they stopped after about 6 months. I called Midwest Clearing again and they gave me the same story that the magazines are no longer with their program. I spoke every time with Dave , he would never give me his last name. I have reported them to the BBB in I ll also and they told the BBB that I was getting a check refund. But I have not received it still. I too have a No Soliciting sign now and tell everyone that attempts to sell me something to leave. When you think you are helping someone it turns out you are not. Very Sad.

• Bi
    Bill Dec 08, 2007

I never thought this would happen to me, but last night it did. He claimed that this was for earning college credits and/or tuition to a school through a program to assist underprivileged minorities. Looking back on it, I knew I should have been suspicious when he conveniently started to stutter while mentioning his speech impediment, but for whatever reason I inexplicably fell for it. After 20 minutes of talking to the guy I found myself writing him a check for $382. After he left I immediately started asking myself "what did I just do?" I looked at the back of the Midwest Clearing Inc. receipt he gave me, where it stated that their sales people would never represent themselves as doing this for college credit or a government program. I immediately filled out the cancellation form on the back of one of the receipt's carbon copies and drove to the post office and mailed it. For good measure I also called my bank and stopped payment on the check. Normally I'd balk at any bank service that carries a $30 fee, but that sounded a hell of a lot better to me than spending $382 for magazines, and if there's a lesson to be learned from this, I'm more than willing to spend those $30 to learn it.

• Ge
    George Brown Dec 10, 2007

Tonight I had one of these people come to my door. I had heard horror stories about how these people end up getting paid less than minimum wage, they're hundreds of miles from home, and they have no way out. And I told him all about that, and he swore up and down that they had treated him well and helped him earn his GED before he got sent out.

I still didn't believe him, so I checked with BBB. I went to http://chicago.bbb.org/ (which is the Better Business Bureau's Chicago office) and did a search for Midwest Clearing. They've been a BBB member since 2004, and they're maintaining their accredited status. This means, basically, that if you have a complaint with them, that you can call BBB and get it resolved. And the BBB report says there have indeed been complaints, but that they've been resolved, at least enough to the BBB's satisfaction. The company is similarly concerned about customers; it's not enough for them to get their subscriptions; they expressly call you back to make sure you were treated fairly, to ask if you want a refund, etc.

I must have grilled the guy for 45 minutes about whether or not he actually sees any of the money, how he gets paid, whether he gets treated well, and I gave him every out including just telling him I'd give him money, but he was adamant about not taking donations, getting a fresh start on his life, and on and on.

In the end I gave him some money to buy subscriptions and send them an MLK center in Chicago where he was from. He thanked me profusely, said no one else that he talked to cared so much to be sure he was doing well, hugged me and left.

Look, if you want a good deal on magazines, this is not the company to go with; they cost 2-3 times as much as you could get if you ordered direct. Seriously; it's a really bad deal.

If you want to help someone get a fresh start on their life, then order some mags.

And if you have issues, contact the BBB and get'em resolved.

• Na
    Natalie Mar 17, 2008

Two salespersons from Midwest just left my front door. I wrote a check for $178.00 for magazine subscriptions but was suspicious after they left. I tried to look up the website that's listed on the receipt and it's down. So I just cancelled my check with the bank. It's a scam. Watch out!

• Cb
    CB May 07, 2008

This nice teenager tried to sell me magazines from Midwest Clearing Inc. He couldnt accept a check from me becasue I had written "Magazine Donation" in the memo section of the check. I told him that was the only way for me to prove that I was donating the magazines. I took the check back and ripped it up. This young man was very honest and polite.

The young man was hungry so I fed him lunch and wished him goodl luck. These teenagers have no idea how much they are being taken advantage of from these companies that pay them pennies for walking around all day and night.

Donna May 08, 2008

Today a middle aged black man with a young female Katrina
    victim whom he was training came to my door and i swear to you that every word I've read here tonite was exactly the same pitch I heard, right down to I just received my GED. I wrote them a check for 102.00 and gave them some drinks as they were exhausted from walking all day. I became suspicious after the male thanked me profusely but the female just lit up a smoke and tossed the empty can on the floor. I googled the company and found all of you. I too placeda stop on the check and it will be worth every penny of the 32.00. But I still dont feel too comfortable. What if the come back and are not so pleasant? Thanks all, we are the good ones ... Tdacc

Samuel Chell Aug 29, 2008

Pretty much the same story. Perhaps the "twist" was that the salesperson (who had 2 young "trainees" with him--for whom I sensed he was performing as much as for me) actually discouraged me from buying the magazines for myself. He said that by not doing so, I would qualify for a tax deduction as well as help him in his quest for point totals.

Problem: the fine print on the receipt he gave completely contradicts his line about a tax write-off, saying the organization accepts no donations and that salespersons are prohibited from representing Midwest Clearing as a charitable or non-profit organization.

The experience is disturbing at many levels. All 3 young men struck me as being victims of, or scabs in, a profit-making scam, and they are no doubt congratulating themselves on getting money out of me in exchange for their imagined rhetorical slickness. As much as I'd like to contribute to their self-esteem, they struck me as more in need of honest work and a good meal.

One part of me says kiss the 75 bucks goodbye and forget about it (be happy it wasn't more--he started out mentioning figures in the thousands); another part says that if these guys (and their "employers") aren't held accountable in some way, we all lose--the biggest losers ultimately being the 3 young men. This is the ugly side of capitalism and the "American Dream" (the boys were clearly impressed by my Lincoln LS, which I purchased used for less than the cheapest Honda Civic).

• Al
    Albert Oct 23, 2008

Samething happened to me tonight!!! The young gentlemen told me he was from Detroit trying to earn his GED, and that he did not want to end up like the rest of his friends. I felt bad considering the fact that I myself came out of the Bronx. I almost bought $500.00 worth of magazines from him for my business. Fortunatly, I did not have any business checks on me. I turned around and bought a personal subscription for 26 months for a total of $93.o0. As I wrote the check, something did not sit right in my stomach about the whole deal. I became more worried when he brought up the fact that if I were to cancel the check that it would come out of his pocket. I also asked him where his ID was and he had explained that he had accidently left it in the car which was to far away. After he left, I decided to do a search on the company and was extremly disturbed at not only this site, but police records on individuals consulting for this company. I have not only canceled the check right away, but have also contacted the police for them to look after the neighborhood for these individuals. It's getting harder and harder to trust people now a days!!!

PS- On the receipt has a website written "www.urbans.com" guess what, , , , doesn't work!!!

• Sc
    scammed Feb 21, 2009

Glad to see this site and to know that I was not the only one who got ripped off... it happened to me here in the San Francisco area. A man in his mid-20s approached me as I was leaving my apartment to go to my car (otherwise I wouldn't have answered the door) and gave me the same story that has been described here. He was dressed nicely, had what looked like a legit city permit (stamped, on city letterhead that I've seen before) to solicit in the city. I actually did want to order a magazine, but unfortunately he didn't have the one I wanted. He was very nice, patient, etc and told a great story, so I thought I would give him $20 as a donation for his cause, but he said that he couldn't take donations. Fine, so I looked through the list and couldn't find another one that I wanted, so I ordered one "for charity" and wrote him a check for the $40 subscription. I went back inside, found this site, and just canceled the check. I lost $29 on the stop payment, but it could have been worse I suppose.

I do find it strange that he didn't take my $20 donation. If the charities were lies, then why stop there? I would have rather lost the cash than a check that I had to pay to stop, that had my name and address written on it.

I was gullible for the whole thing probably because I used to sell magazines when I was young back in the good old days for ACTUAL charities...it's sad how times have changed.

• Ap
    Apollo Feb 21, 2009

Pretty much the same thing happened to me tonight. The salesman opened by talking about believing in second chances. He said he was trying to get back on his feet, and that if I didn't want the magazines myself that I could have it sent to the local Boys and Girls Club. I was a bit reluctant to do so, but I couldn't really think of a polite way to tell him to go away, so I went with it.

After ordering ESPN "for the kids to help them develop their literacy, " I read the back of the receipt that stated explicitly that these subscriptions were not a donation. At first, I decided to just tell the company to cancel the order, but after reading up on the responses here, I decided to also cancel the check. It cost me $15 for the stop payment, which I though was a bit high, but it's still less than letting the check go through, especially since it seems that my chances of getting a refund are minimal at best.

• Da
    David Mar 25, 2009

Just had an extremely nice African-American woman leave my house. She said most of the above and talked about her 3 year old daughter. She was incredibly nice, warm, etc. I listened and honestly wanted to help her, but the "system" was very confusing. I could buy magazines to be sent to Big Brother in San Diego for a certain time period and pay Midwest. She said if I owned my own home or business it was tax deductible. This made no sense and I asked if it was a 501(c)3 which is for non-profits. She said it wasn't. If I make a tax donation, it doesn't matter if I own a home or business.
    I told her I'd gladly write her a check to Big Brother so they could get the money directly, plus I didn't see why they would need magazines. She explained that "Reading is Fundamental". Great line, but I think a charity would rather get the money and buy their own books/magazines, etc.
    I told her I'd look into this and gladly send her a check if it was on the up and up. She didn't really like this answer and said she wouldn't be in the area for a while. I told her I'd gladly call the number and provide them her name to get her credit. She didn't think I could do this. I asked for her employee id and she finally said I could use her agent number (211). Now that I just googled it, I found this website. I'm glad I went with my gut. She was very nice and I hope she finds a better job. She would be great selling cars or clothes. This scam needs to stop.

anon Apr 03, 2009

Do any of you people realize that Midwest Clearing is not in charge of any of these people? They do not hire any of them they have no control over any of what they tell you. All they do is process the payments and place the order with the publishers. It's the individual groups and agents that cause the problems and lie to all of you. I've ordered with them numerous times and have had no problems. You can't hold a few bad apples against the whole bunch. You people really should be ashamed of yourselves. I'm sure a big part of your uneasiness and anger with this poor company is that the agents are african-american and you feel duped because you'll believe anything you read. It's people like you that make these situations worse. Why not just keep your bad experience to yourself and let these people run their business. You all make me sick.

Domo&Da Dude Jun 23, 2009

Suck my nuts people.you muddy suckas make me sick wit ya wack ###.The majority of the young adults who comes to your doors are really sweet sincere individuals. Some are really working hard to be successful adults and maybe that's their only option. I know when you were their age you had to find a job. It's not that easy for some of them to find a nice job like some people. So they sell magizines since they are the only ones who are gonna give them a chance. I got my dam magazines what yall did wrong? alot of people contribute to the individual instead of the funky ### magazines. that's just a tool that the program gives them to use, its the individuals future you are taking interest in. Instead of sending them back to the streets which is the negativity in their lives, help keep them doing something positive and keep them feeling good about themselves and making honest money and also learning different job training skills. DOMO-Da Dude

• Ro
    roy palmer Jun 25, 2009

hello world my name is roy palmer i wold like to talk about door to door sales. a lot of you think it is a scam or using people first of all it is not a scam people recieve there magazine's for those who don't wont the magazine's my suggestion is in the box where it say purchare's you prsonally field this out yourself then o the other side delivery address write gift order the reason we don't except donatin's because it is not charity when you are working so if we was to except donation's then we would be a fraud. midwest clearing has nothing to do with the sales people they just clear the magazine's so they first are not using or taking advantage of paople and most important dave don't no the sale people who goes door to door so give him a break he's just doing his J.O.B like everyone else with a legal job. so get off midwest clearing they are not doing anything wrong. now let's talk about the people who goes door to door, they are your every day people from the hood who is trying to change there lives for the better some of them have been through a lot in life and looking for some postive help like a J.O.B. with the back ground that some of us have. you no aot of people don't wont to gives us a second chance in life but some of us do wont to change and even become sucessful like myself. and the person who they work for. mr. walker is one the of the most important people in this world he has changed people live's for the better he has tooking people with no sale's experince and taugh them how to become sucessful and taught them how to teach other people to do the same he is loved by people from across the states and help alot of people with his own money i have witness this with my own eye's and he has hep me when i could'nt help myself i was in another state when my grandmother passed away well he made sure i got to the wake put me on a plane that was my first time on a plane in my life he help me overcome my fears now how many boss'es you no will do that or have done that an you probally would say you no smeone thats good now how many you no and you tell them they business is a fraud and for the finally thing people say that the company make all the money well who make more you or the company you work for. you pay them or they pay you so get off midwest clearing and my mentor mr. walker. i will be checking this page often you have any question hit me at [email protected] peace out AND fOR THE RECORDS I DON'T WORK FOR midwest clearing or mr walker following his foo step

• Sh
    shellann Jun 26, 2009

So, I just paid $65.00 for a Rachel Ray subscription (2 yrs) and decided to google the company after doing so and found this site. I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about; not being facetious, just confused.

I live in an affluent neighborhood and receive 'sales people' all the time, and will turn people away if it doesn't sound right (I do need a 'no-solicitation' sign lol). I know I paid twice as much, maybe even three times as much for the subscription, but I believe the young man's tale about working hard, staying out of trouble, getting points for each subscription, etc. Took a chance...would I have spent hundreds, no!

Website is up and running...says on form and on site that magazines take 90-120 days for delivery...so what is the scam?? That you can't deduct it? You can't deduct something for which you rec'd an equal value in goods...right!? And, says right on form they can't take 'donations'. I guess I need to watch out for other magazines being delivered, but that doesn't even make sense, I'd receive an additional bill, right? Oh well, we'll see...

• St
    stuffette Jun 28, 2009

I have ordered from these door to door companies in the past and never had a problem. I ordered again from one of these door to door kids because I am a big sucker. The kid was adorable, polite and very eager. I immediately told him I knew he was selling magazines and to skip the bull. I asked him to take a seat and chatted with the kid for about 1/2 hour. I found out he was from Louisiana and was staying with a large group in Suffern, NY. I was spared the whole "feel sorry for me" bit because I told him to cut to the chase and show me what he was selling. He did approach me with the line "do you believe in second chances?" and "what do you do for a living?" I truly believe these companies take advantage of these kids and work them FAR too hard but I also heard about the fun they have on their off time. This kid was going into Manhattan after getting off work. This kid gets a chance to see another city and meet new people. I hope he is able to get to the next level and is not stuck in rut with this company.

Now I just hope I see the magazine within the 120 days.

• Jk
    J Kennedy Jr Jul 16, 2009

I had the same thing happen to me and i fell for it like a dummy. After the young black man left my house i went on line only to find out that this was a total scam. I ran down the street about ten minutes after the transaction and noticed the salesman sitting on a bench at the end of my street. I walked up to him and demanded my check back and told him to get lost. He knew right away that i cought on to his scam. I was lucky because he was probably going to be picked up by his fellow theives in a few minutes.

• M1
    M1dog Jul 18, 2009

Hey guys guess what?

2 African-American guys came to our door while me and my dad were out in the lawn. They were all over us telling us how they were in prison for the last few years and how they want to give back. They asked about city problems, education, guns, and blah blah blah...

When I asked them who they work for, one of them pulled out his drivers license (that has nothing on the back LOL) and showed it to me.

Then after almost half-hour (we are very nice people), they got to the whole points and magazines topic! After a bit more of talking, my dad asked me to go get the chequebook and he started to fill it out for $144!

Then when my dad asked them to who it should be written in, they said "Midwest Clearing Inc" The moment they said that, I thought to myself "what state run city prison progam" sounds like Midwest Clearing?

Infact, they sounded so shady when they mentioned it like as if saying "Midwest Clearing" out loud was bad. I just rushed inside my home, got on the computer and Googled "Midwest Clearing"...surprise surprise!

BINGO! I got to this site and what a bunch of crooks these people are! I rushed back down to my dad who was about to sign the cheque and whispered what a fraud they are. Soon my dad somehow managed to give excuses and he went inside.

LOL! Those 2 guys were saying how they "liked the way it was going"...yeah hell, we ain't gonna lose money for crap. And they said how this would have given them more points and opened up more oppurtunities for them and how our refusal to give the cheque will make it tough for them blah blah...

And just as they were leaving, one of them said to me "what goes around comes around" like as if it's a THREAT. I am going to tell my dad to file a formal police complaint. These guys are dangerous. Clearly they were disappointed how they came THAT close to getting my dad's hard-earned money by lying.

IF THESE GUYS COME TO YOUR DOOR, PRETEND YOU GONNA GET THE CHEQUE AND CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY.

• Dr
    Dr. Shepard Jul 25, 2009

Midwest Clearing is a great company. In fact, I've never had any problems. I feel that it's the people in the program and not the company. One persons mistake shouldn't narrow someone elses future... It's a great program and some people do want to better themselves.

• Po
    POKECHOP Jul 26, 2009

THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL COMPANY SOME PEOPLE MAKE IT BAD FOR OTHERS AND IT''S UP TO OTHERS TO STRAIGHTEN IT UP THATS NOT GOOD SO TRUST IF U WENT TO ONE DOCTOR AND HE MESS UP WILL THAT STOP U FROM GOING TO ANOTHER U HAVE TO LOOK AT IT LIKE THAT

• Ex
    exposedalie Oct 13, 2009

Its obvious "Dr. Shepard" and "Pokechop" work for midwest clearing. Don't believe them! They are a scam, and use deceitful practices to sell overpriced magazines.

• Sp
    Spice09 Nov 03, 2009

Two young men came to my door the other day and I spent about 25 minutes talking to them. They seemed pleasant enough at first and I was thinking I would help them out because they probably did come from a disadvantaged background and I could afford to help. Then they told me the minimum was three magazines for 2 years each, coming to a grand total of $160.00. I said that I really wasn't prepared to spend that much on magazines I didn't want in the first place. They insisted this was the minimum order I could place. I became a little suspicious at this point so I asked what the company they worked for was called and what the website was. I told them if I can look it up and it's legit, I'll by one subscription from them. I pulled out my iPhone to look up Midwestclearing.inc and one of them asked how much my iPhone cost me. He said "I know those are about $300". Then he began to say that if I can spend $300 on an iPhone why was I making a big deal about $160 for some magazines. This was the final red flag that killed their chances of getting any money from me. I've read comments from former "sales associates" talking about how great this company is and how it helps inner city kids. That may be true, but here's a suggestion, don't try and guilt people into buying magazines. You may sell some that way, but it's a long term loser and a terrible life lesson. Let your sales skills develop, and let your personality and knowledge do the selling for you. If someone doesn't want to buy anything, just be polite and thank them for listening and move on. You will do much better in the long run and it will help you develop the skills you will need later on in life. Good luck.

• Na
    NancyJR Mar 13, 2010

I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago. A young African-American man came to my door saying "he wasn't selling anything, but wanted to talk to me about second chances". As nice as he was, our talk was a guilt trip to get me to buy magazines. He had told me he'd been in jail and now wanted to change his life and wanted to work his way into management. Asked me what things i was proud of and how i got to where i am today. he was actually very good at making me feel bad. i genuinely wanted to help him. The worst part was i had to spend a small fortune in order to get him ANY sort of commission. A 2 year subscription to a certain magazine was $70 (I just spent $15 for a 2-year subscritption for the same magazine just a few weeks ago). I had to buy i believe 3 different subscriptions from him to get him any financial gain (i think even with that he had said it was something like 5-10% commission he got off the sale). Anything less earned him "points" so he could be a manager. These people are making a fortune off these kids. Its awful. If this company was paying towards college and giving them a bachelors degree in business/management i'd be fine with it but they are using them. I would have much rather given him a donation towards his education. As for saying this is just a standard magazine business, i have had people solicit at my front door before and they don't pitch themselves before they pitch what they are selling. Bought a security system very recently from a door to door salesperson. I know NOTHING about his life history, just about the product i was buying. This isn't a standard business practice. I don't think these people are harmful and i think they genuinely believe that this company is out to help them. Unfortunately, i think their bosses are dirty and crooked. I did cancel my subscription but wish i could have just given this young man the money i had used to cancel the check.

• Ro
    RockyMom Mar 24, 2010

One nice looking African-American young man just left my home. He was wearing shirt and tie, told me that this was his first job, and he could points and promotion if he earned enough points; he was selling me magazines; I told him I don't have time for more magazines they can send the magazine to other charity organization. I thought that was great, so I wrote a check to him and signed, but put on "Donation" on the memo just for reminding myself.
    He said I can not put "Donation" on the check, I thought that was weird; he asked me to write a new check, at this moment, I went to computer and googled Midwest Clearing, Inc and found this site; so I told him that it might be a fraud, I changed my mind.
    He got very upset with him. I told him that just took this as a challenge if he is really working hard. I just need sometime to do more research. Then he called me ###, and said "you have wasted my time".
    My God, this confirmed this is a fraud.

• Dc
    DC_Guy Apr 07, 2010

Watch out for these magazine sellers. They come through my neighborhood once or twice a year, they tell the same story each time (i.e. troubled inner city young adults trying to turn their lives around). Last week one of the magazine sellers forced their way through my front door and stole my laptop. I called the police and filed a report. I had no idea who it was until the next day when the seller returned to my house and tried to sell me magazines (I was home this time, maybe he was coming back for more loot). I asked him some questions, i.e. had he been in my neighborhood all week, had be been @ my house the day before. I think he knew what I was beginning to get at. It turns out he was @ my house the day before, he said the door was open when he arrived. One of the first questions he asked me was if I thought that the laptop could be traced. The conversation was very shady, but there wasn't any proof. I called the police after he left. The next day the police pick him up, arrested him, and I got my laptop back. I don't know if this is true or not, but the police told me that when these kids are selling magazines crime tends to increase in the neighborhoods they're working in.

• Bv
    BVH_CA May 03, 2010

I wish I know about this before. I too was a victim of this fraud. On 10/1/09, an early 30 black female come to my neighborhood and talk about how she needs help to get out of the project by selling magazine and she would get a small commission. So I decided to help her out and purchased some magazine. By February 2010 I still have not received any magazine so I email Midwestclearing.com and received a reply from Dave saying that I should mail them the receipt and I will get the refund. I did that more than 2 weeks ago but still have not received my refund nor heard anything from them.

• Dr
    Dr. Mo May 06, 2010

I think we all know as soon as these nice kids come to our door that we're either going to give in, get suckered and hope some of what they say about making money for themselves is true or tell them to leave. We know the magazine prices are too high and the $15 handling fee doesn't help. I would NEVER give them cash. The 25 year old woman from Texas says she lives in New Jersey and they have caretakers to take of her 3 and 2 yr old girls, while she is soliciting. If they DO pay for her to relocate and stay while working, it's not such a bad gig for her. The question is-how much do we want to be involved! I'd rather give money to her, then to someone who is sitting on the street, drunk and asks for money. I'm in Nyack, NY. I wonder if this happens all across the country?

jonathan willis May 23, 2010

For everyone that thinks that midwest clearing is a bad program its really not because it really is people out their wanting to better them self and it people that dont but just because one person mass up dont take it out on the company by writing [censor] [censor] lie give sum one els a chance and stop [censor]ing tryin mass up the company.

• Jj
    JJMOM Jun 23, 2010

You can cancel the transaction on the company's website within three business days of the sale and there is no penalty for the cancellation. Why you people pay $30 to your bank to do this?

• Da
    DarrylF Jul 28, 2010

The exact same thing happened to me that happened to all of you. A pair of teenagers, a male and a female--from North Carolina they claimed, something to do with getting cash for college, etc. I normally don't fall for this stuff but I was in the middle of feeding my daughter when they knocked (I thought it was Fed Ex) and, for some reason ended up writing a check for $102.00. I think part of the reason I fell for it was that my wife subscribes to the Chicago Tribune through a fund-raising program by a local high school. That program is legit. Midwest Clearing is not.

After they left, I had a bad feeling and Googled. I saw the BBB rating and read everyone's testimony here. I also read the back of my receipt and saw that the kids had violated several of the prohibitions listed there. I tried to call my bank but they were closed. I tried to call Midwest Clearing but got voice mail which re-stated their dubious refund policy. Then I got pissed. I got up, ran out the door, and down the street. One of my neighbors cried out, "Oh no! You didn't fall for that magazine scam did ya?"

I caught up with the kids three blocks away just as they were about to ring someone else's doorbell and said, "Give me my check". The kids balked, putting on hurt-feelings faces and asked why. I told them why and they said, "Oh those complaints are just from a few people who weren't satisfied with the service." I told him, "You can give me my check or I can call the police and let them mediate this discussion." So, he gave me my check back. As I was walking away, he asked if he could have the receipt back and I said, "no, you can't".

As I went home they stopped soliciting and followed me. After I went back inside they looked at my house for a few moments as they passed. That, didn't give me a good feeling so I called the cops and filed a report. The police said they'd send a car out looking for them. So, that's what happened to me.

• Bs
    BSuper Aug 06, 2010

I had the same experience, now on week nine waiting for my $45 from Dave. To make matters worse, while the salesman was at the door and we were finishing up, he asked for a drink of water (I live in AZ). While I was getting him a water bottle, he hit on my wife! I've been without my magazine for over seven months now. I finally gave up and filed a complaint with the Chicago Better Business Bureau. Dave is a liar, the company is a farse, and I will NEVER buy magazines from someone on my doorstep ever again.

• Mn
    mnviv Sep 19, 2010

I have a similar story, but Midwest Clearing cashed my check and stole my $48. It has been over 1 year, no magazine and no refund, despite Dave's apologizes and promises to refund my money. Since Midwest Clearing is no longer a BBB accredited company, I doubt that my complaint will be resolved, as with so many others who lost much more money than me.

As the original post suggests, I have written the magazine and shared my experience. My hope is that magazines start to feel the pressure from so many dissatisfied consumers that they only sell subscription rights to companies with ethical business practices.
    As for helping those who need a second chance, I donate to charitable foundations where I know that my money is going directly to the cause, and I volunteer.

san_francisco Dec 03, 2010

i don't know if this is a scam or not. a nineteen year old male came by my place last night selling magazines. he gave me a story about wanting to make a better life for himself - we talked for about 20 minutes and i ordered about 150 dollars worth of magazines and had them sent to a charity (he informed me that most people don't care about the magazines - which i didn't). he seemed sincere and had a good attitude and will no doubt make a good salesman someday. i contribute to charities but i like the feeling of contributing to an individual. if nothing else, he got a chance to "practice and perfect" his craft and start building experience for his next job. we all started somewhere and it's always better to try something vs not try anything.

• Vr
    vranc82 May 16, 2011

Has anyone gotten there money from this company. Is the BBB doing there job. This is when you need a dog that Bites. Been trying to get my money back since 6/8/2010. UPSTATE - New York .

• Cs
    csteph Jul 30, 2011

My husband gave in to some guy who came selling the magazines. Our check is dated Dec 14, 2010 and we still have not received a single magazine. Our check was deposited and cleared just days later. There is a stamp on the back of the check but I cant make out what it says. I don't know who's fault it is that we did not get the magazines but its someones! The number on the receipt is disconnected. I feel for those selling door to door because most are just trying to make some money and its the only job they can get...Or I guarantee they would not be out there getting doors slammed in their faces. Self esteem would surely be low! C Stephens

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices