Menardsgender discrimination

N

I held onto this job for a year and a half, and usually never have I let them down. But all of sudden I became pregnant over the summer and was bombarded with the symptoms, such as getting sick frequently, excessive fatigue, and acute memory loss, which all posed a major challenge for me to go to school and go to work and be on time all the time. I tried to take on a second job and was working a total of 60 or more hours a week. That ### wore me out and I had to go back down to the one job that I had before. In the month of October they told me that I had to sign a paper agreeing that I ###ed up and was late. Come to find out they wrote me up for the day I had to call in because I was sick and threw up all over my clothes and had nothing else to wear since I live out of town. I had gone from just this one incident to being on grounds for termination.

Excuse me, but I thought that if a woman becomes pregnant and has trouble meeting all the demands she is entitled to certain rights by law to keep her job. It's not like I have always been this way. They ###ing knew the whole time and just set me up. There's no way any of the general managers will understand my situation enough to give me another chance, because they are all men. I delt with the ### manger this Sunday but I did get along better with the others when I worked there, but still, they are still men. Now there is no way in hell I can pay my bills and keep a roof over my head for more than a month and a half down the road unless I land another job. There's nothing but fast food restaurants and Mayo Clinic here. What do I do?

nookular_il Feb 16, 2010

My advice to you:

1. Stop making excuses- there are millions of pregnant women worldwide with greater pressure than your 60 hr/week work + school (try 100 hrs/week on occasion). Being pregnant is not a free pass to not perform your job well, as you describe ("if a woman becomes pregnant and has trouble meeting all the demands she is entitled to certain rights by law to keep her job") The law only prevents discrimination, it doesn't mandate special treatment!

2. Lose the sexist attitude- mature men (hopefully your managers are mature) understand the demands of preganancy, but just like anyone, managers expect their employees to be reliable, no matter what gender or "situation" they are in.

3. Get motivated- watch The Pursuit of Happyness to see how a homeless, single parent made it in the professional world. Start in fast food or scrub floors at Mayo if that's what it requires. We all start somewhere.

• Du
    dukhuntr Apr 17, 2010

so...it's menards fault that you can't be at work when you are scheduled? btw no employer gives two ### about your "other job." i get that you need to work, but you can't blame them for replacing you if you are not reliable. getting along with people is ok, but you have to get there first. if you really got fired because of one late. you should get a lawyer, not post on some complaint board. i know several lawyers in the rochester area that will take that suit in a heart beat. just type "business law rochester" into google.

MadelineAb May 02, 2010

This is a good example of why women should stay home with their kids instead of trying to juggle both motherhood and a career. Women expect special treatment from the time the pregnancy test shows up positive. They expect sick time throughout their pregnancy. They want time off for when their kids are sick or when they have some lame-### school play. They always want to leave early because their kids have sports or a geography bee or some other boring function. Basically women who were once hard workers become completely useless once they have kids, and the rest of us have to pick up the slack. "I have a child!" is their battle cry and they turn themselves into martyrs because of it and they use their children as an excuse to slack off at their jobs. Do us all a favor, honey--stay home with your kid. This goes for all the women with kids out there--you are more useful at home. I've had to take on a heavier workload for more than one mother, and I know my life would be a hell of a lot easier if all of you mommys would just stay home. BTW, I am a woman and the same rules apply to me. If I get pregnant, I will not use my child as a pawn to get what I want from my employer. I will stay home and take care of it and not ### about it and pretend to be a martyr like all the other women out there.

• Go
    gomenards Oct 31, 2012

it seems to me you expect preferential treatment because your a women. That doesnt seem fair to me.