Kumonfalse claims

My Son ASKED, me for help with Grade 4 (2016) multiplication and division.
The grid system/technique is beyond my comprehension. Myself and many others tried to assist; to no avail. So I looked for help. Prior to this he had excelled at Maths - to the extent that he was Graded higher for his Grade School level for 2 years. To be fair, that is not a great achievement. I am only mentioning it in relation to my complaint.

So despite, many other Parents advising me that Kumon is useless - I researched it, went to an information night and then signed my Son in.

3 months in, I expressed both mine and my Sons Frustration with the "Kumon" experience. The "Director" of the Port Melbourne branch was so condesding and belittled me to the point that I let another 3 months @$130.00 go.

I actually stayed in the Kumon Centre this evening (despite being told that this is not allowed). My Son, lakes any kind of self-discpline (which is why I hoped that the "Kumon" promise of self-learning would be installed). I witnessed my Son looking at the walls, going to the Bathroom for 17 minutes, walking around the classroom and just using an eraser on the desk. I also witnessed 2 teenagers grading all booklets via a grading booklet (I can only hope that they are not, Kumon Graduates).

What I did see however, was the children whom did not look like my Son, and therefore, happened to have a darker eye colour and skin; were actually Chastised for the way they sat (deportment), by the one Woman roaming the room in an Apron. The "markers" aka teenagers, following cheat sheets - also made, these lovely kids read aloud to them - for any page they had missed on the booklet. Is not the "classroom/Space" of Kumon - expected me be "eyes down, pens moving and silence"

I am totally offended, as to how cruel this is.

However, I am also furious in regard to the money I have invested in Kumon and the grief it has created in our home. Adding insult to injury, is - my Son sought help at School - and is beyond the level of the Kumon projected "table of Learning materials maths". If I am to believe the paperwork that I have been presented with; a). My Son started Kumon in 2012. b). The 12mth goal - as per the hand written note on the above mentioned paperwork, (which is tempting me to go VCAT) - IS THAT - my Son, via Kumon, will be 18 months behind the rest of his class.

I am Looking forward to your response;

Regards,

Amelia Richards

I would have a minimum of $700 dollars in my account, if I had not believed in Kumon