Having problems with Guru?

5001 Baum Blvd Ste 760
Thu9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Fri9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
SatClosed
SunClosed

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Guru.

Complaints & Reviews

Guru.comguru.com

I occasionally contract with Guru.com and/or Upwork.com. As part of the process to become even a nonpaying member, they ask you to provide your SSN and usually ask you to provide a W9- as would an employer. However, they are not an employer. If I do work for you through Guru.com, what you do is deposit money in a Safepay account from which I get paid when I submit and you approve my hours. I did not do work for Guru.com - I did work for you. My question is: If that is the case, is it legal that Guru and Upwork demand a freelancer's social security number, a W9, 1099 and even sometimes a photo ID?

Guru.comRare job postings there

Hi,

I suspect from a job that I applied to. I had to run a program (.exe), and
    enter some things inside, avoiding errors. But the program could not run for some problem in the system. I was free from that.

But I felt for another rare job.
    Salary was max 38/hr.
    When I applied for that "job", they deleted it from guru.com
    The "company" emailed me directly with information
    and salary changed to $39 to 60 max.
    The job was to publish 1 property to two sites, working 1 to 10 hrs weekly.

They sent me the details. I had to create an email from gmail for a customer from them. I had to create a paypal account for that person.
    And to publish the property to two sites:
    1. (https://www.vacationhomerentals.com, which redirect to tripadvisor when you try to open acct.)
    2. (vrbo.com)

All the time, I had to give my phone numbers for the confirmation of
    the accounts.
    I am afraid that I was creating false ads to steal money from others.
    Afraid for that person, using his name for who knows.
    I am not sure. Please be careful with this information for my security.

The details for that "job" is:
    Project ID: 1304611, "I need Data Entry Specialist"

First email was:
    From: Guru.com
    Subject: [GURUMSG-LHF3MS25FM71YX8M] (Do Not Modify) for: Project ID: 1304611

Hi ****,
    Below is a message from Sanne for Project ID: 1304611, "I need Data Entry Specialist".

Hello ******

Thank you for considering our project.
    Please attach your CV and several completed projects at: [protected]@luxury-aparts.co.uk
    Specify the project you've applied for. Our Hiring Resources Specialist will contact you for full details about the job, in order to proceed with the trial.

Regards,

Sanne Goslinga
    Senior Human Resource Manager

Sincerely,
    Your friends at Guru

-------------------------------------
    The following emails were from :

[protected]@luxury-aparts.co.uk

Sarah Ackley
    Human Resources Manager - Luxury Estate©
    Luxury Estate© United Kingdom main office (i2 Office Manchester City Centre)
    address: 50 Brown Street, Manchester M2 2JT, United Kingdom (4th floor)
    email: [protected]@luxury-aparts.co.uk
    phone: +[protected]
    fax: +[protected]
    International website: http://www.luxuryestate.com/

Please take this with precaution.
    I am not sure if this is legitimate or not.
    Also, when I began having problems with the payout methods,
    one site suspended account later, and the other I could not complete
    that part. I comunicated with them, etc.
    I saw the exact address they gave me with another picture for the
    property. Something rare.

I just closed all that I could, because I cannot risk my reputation
    for the possible bad things from others. And asked to close
    from VRBO too.

Thank you.

• Su
        Sujash Ghosh Dec 19, 2016

Hello, have did you work for them and did you get paid for your work ?

Guru — Accounting / Payment Practices Credit Card Verification Fee

Hadn't used Guru in years but needed a specific IT specialist so posted a job ad. Most of the profiles seemed...

GuruFake portfolios!

Guru is terrible! That was the worst experience ever! I joined this site and hired a person. I was charged, but the person never completed his duties. So they basically took my money and I never received what I paid for. This website is full of fake portfolios and employees! I'm so disappointed! And the worst part was that Guru customer service provided absolutely no help! They completely ignored me! Stay away from these scammers!

GuruGuru is not safe

I asked someone from China to build my website. But the person never completed his work and the website was really horrible. But he also kept me as a financial hostage. He convinced me to pay him early each step saying most of the work was done. I actually paid the whole amount, but I still received no final copy of my website. I tried to contact the person many times, but he ignores all my messages. The person had a very good profile on Guru so I decided to build a website with him. So I actually lost thousands of dollars because of that thieve! Guru customer service refuses to help me and stop this from happening to others. Do yourself a favor and never use Guru! Lack of customer support is a big shame.

Guru — Did not pay

Hi Guru Support Team, I was hired by an employer on Guru dated 20th Dec, 2015. I wrote approx 10+ article...

Guru.comBad services & Bad quality

Following GURU.COM statement is all B.S and lies. ("Pay Only For A Job Well Done. Payment is simple and fast once you’re satisfied with the finished product. Use Safe-Pay for a risk-free guarantee. You pay us and we pay the freelancer only after you approve the work. It’s a secure, “win-win” arrangement for both sides. ")

Employers and hires have no say, after you deposited the money in SAFE-PAY with GURU.COM. No matter how bad the freelancers is, freelancer unprofessional, poor quality work, try to make you pay more after freelancer fixed price bid etc, etc, etc.

GURU.COM will side with the Freelancer so RUN while you can.

Guru.comFailure to help Employer with a dispute

I used Guru.com to hire a freelancer. I paid the freelancer 3, 000.00 for the first website, everything was fine. The company was hosting the website. A year later, I hired the same company http://www.guru.com/freelancers/mindblow-ideas-inc.
            They designed another website for me, for another 2, 700.00. After a disagreement, the company (mindblow ideas) deleted both websites, and I'm left with a 5, 700.00 loss. I asked Guru.com to help and they haven't done a single thing. PLEASE DO NOT USE GURU.COM and DO NOT HIRE MINDBLOW IDEAS FOR ANYTHING. THESE COMPANIES ARE FRAUDS!

Guru.comUnethical

Guru is a site I used one time and will never use again. Anyone doing their research about guru.com, be very careful. You do not get legitimate reviews about the freelancers for hire, as the freelancers have the ability to "block" reviews. I hired a top recommended freelancer (Clicksy Creatives). The work I paid for was very low-quality. I requested a refund and was not issued a refund and then found out that freelancers can block bad reviews by paying for "blocking power." This system is set up so that you can be ripped off quite easily. I recommend hiring only in your country, especially those in the US. Use other more legitimate resources. Hell, even Craigslist is probably a better way to find people than Guru.com. This was the work done on Guru by CLICKSY CREATIVES

Unethical
              Unethical

Guru.com — Frozen Account

I am an employer on Guru.com and I used to have my projects done. I sent payment every time using my credit...

Guru.comWe will NEVER use them again

We did a project with a graphical designer for a shirt design, but the designer never delivered. However, guru.com assigned the escrow money to the designer. It is fatal for the trust of a website to touch the escrow money - we will NEVER use them again. We have using eLance for years with perfect results and the only two tries on guru.com were disastrous. It looks like the lousy freelancer work for guru.com. Just stay away from it.

• Ne
                    Neo R Jan 28, 2013

Completely Agree. Feedback and comments are blocked by guru and freelancer. So don't look for 5 *, they are all 5 *.

Guru.com — Guru.com allows coders to block negative feedback

Just wanted to let everyone know we lost 1000.00 on guru.com to a coder that lacked integrity. The most...

GuruScam

I lost nearly $1, 000, after a projected estimated at 4 weeks, took SIX MONTHS, and still wasn't nearly complete. I disputed with guru.com who had my money in escrow, and they still awarded the money to the developer even though the site wasn't functional. I provided 10 examples of where the developer failed and it still wasn't enough for them. Avoid guru.com, and if you do use them, never pay anything in advance, and don't put any money in escrow.

I disputed a second project with my credit card and Amex saved me from losing another $500 on that.

Guru.com is useless.

machine1376 Apr 21, 2011

sorry to hear that. As a contractor who works through Guru, I can tell you it's not much better from the other end either. I have clients who have you work on their project and then just disappear...Guru.com is awful! Along with most of the other freelance sites. I have been a graphic artist/web developer for over 13 years and now every kid who gets a copy of photoshop thinks they're a graphic designer. It has me trying to change careers, pretty sad. Guru and other freelance websites are just farms for marketers anyway.

• Cr
                      crickettchooch Jul 19, 2011

I have been ripped off by a Buyer who was unprofessional and unknowledgeable. I have taken steps and file a lawsuit. I worked many many hours to be provide what the buyer wanted and this person not only did not acknowledge the work but thinks I should not get paid. I don't work for free anymore than anyone else does.

Guru.comBeware

They've been pissing on so many people I've taken the time to make them a special little website : scam-guru.com.

Don't fall for their ****.

• Ic
                        icoeur Jun 25, 2012

Guru.com is a scam site, I was scammed two times, the last day, scammers say it: As share of our secure transaction process, Guru.com audited all PayPal transactions. As a result of this process, Invoice ID ******* (****** $) is on hold pending verification from the Employer.
                        I suggest you elance.com or odesk.com, I'm already a worker at elance and oDesk, Guru, but I wanted to try, but both work I didI have been scammed

Guru.com — Do NOT trust Guru.com!

Guru.com www.guru.com Stacy Norman, about whom there is another complaint here, canceled my service provider...

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices