GT Xpress 101It was a mistake!

R

I ordered the GT Express 101 from the infomercial on TV. When I hung up the phone, I knew I had made a mistake. I was kept on the phone approx. 10 minutes by a recording. You will never talk to a real person. The whole transaction takes place with a recording. They give you a high pressure sales pitch and you are not able to ask questions. They continue to ask if you want all kinds of different products, which I didn't. I tried to order only one of these electric cookers but I now find out They only come in twos. And, of course you pay $14.95 S & H for the extra one that is "free." When I finally reached someone at their headquarters, they told me they could not cancel my order until 72 hours after the order was placed; that I would not be in the system till them. However, they could send me an email telling me my order was processed and I still don't know how much this "mistake" has cost me. They would not let me cancel the order. I spoke with someone there today and told them the problems I incurred and would send the product back when it arrives. I usually don't buy from infomercials, and let this be a warning for you not to buy from this company either.

• Ca
    Catherine Giggleman Jul 02, 2007

I ordered the GT Express 101 on May 31, 2007. It was a buy one get one free deal and for the advertised price of $39.90+$14.95 for S/H each split up in 2 easy payments. Needless to say, my credit card was billed $103.00 on June 11th but no product. I called the customer service line and was told they were closed even though it was during normal business hours. After numerous times trying, I finally reach a rep in the Philippines who stated that my order had been shipped therefore I cannot cancel. They could not explain why I was billed so much and told me not to except the package when it arrived. It is now June 22 and I have yet to see this wonderful machine. I was told it was shipped on June 7th and after I stated it doesn't take 2 weeks to ship from Oh to Il she was speechless. She then told me It arrived at my post office on June 11th. My local post office cannot locate the package. I am definitely going to report GT MEDIA or GT MERCHANDING LLC amongst the other names they go by to the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General. This is a total SCAM. I've definitely learned my lesson... when it looks too good to be true... it's usually not!!

Kelly Aug 06, 2007

I've read similar complaints on line and have not had this experience. I ordered mine on line today and then after reading these, I panicked and immediately called customer service. I was on hold for no more than a minute and the rep was not from the phillipines. On the other hand, I did read several positive comments. So, I'm going to have to see.

Did you ask the rep for the tracking number when she then told you it arrived at my post office on June 11th. If she couldn't provide one, then something is wrong. Also, with my credit card company I can dispute charges and they refund the charges - can you do that?

• Al
    Alena Apr 16, 2008

I ordered the GT Xpress 101 on March 23, 2008. It arrived April 9. I've used it 3 times since I received it and it is already "broken". The coating in the pockets of the GT Xpress is coming off. I've never used anything harsh to clean it, just water and paper towels and only the plastic utensil it comes with to cook. I called the customer service and they told me I could receive a new one as a replacement, however I live in Canada and had to pay customs on the product and I don't want to have to again. So, I told the customer representative I wanted a refund. She told me that I would have to send it back to them at my cost. I couldn't believe it! Any reputable company that has a reputable product will absorb the cost of returns. (Of course if the product is any good the returns would be a minimum.) Another rep told my husband that the damage was caused by misuse. Well, if misuse is following the products recommended use and care then that alone represents the quality of the product. I would not recommend this product to anyone. I'm not going to return it since it'll cost me more in S&H in the long run then the actual product itself. I suppose I'll consider this experience for the future. I will certainly never buy this product again, or anything else this company trys to sell.

• Lo
    Lois May 24, 2008

thank you for this info about the surface of the machine. I too live in Canada and was wondering what the shipping and handling costs would be.

Chad Martin Jun 11, 2008

A recording gave you a high pressure sales pitch????? What were you smoking?

Kel Jun 20, 2008

Oh man, I'm nervous! i ordered this thing (well, 2 of them..) from the infomercial the other day, and as each day passes I realize it was a mistake. I hated the recording and I guess i just ordered it because i was already on the phone for 20 minutes trying to order it, but when the recording told me it was as much as it was, i freaked out, yet still ordered it! I'm stupid!

Hopefully this thing works like magic.. and if not i'm going to cancel

Joe Jul 13, 2008

Close call for me!! I'm so glad I happen to come across the above complaints. I was about to purchase the GT Xpress 101 from the TV Infomercial. Then I decided to see if I could purchase one on eBay. I almost took advantage of a Buy-it-Now purchase on ebay, but something told me to check the Internet for customer satisfaction comments. Even if the product is presumably good, there's too many negative comments regarding their customer service and the item itself, that I'm staying away from this item. If I were YOU, I'd think twice about purchasing the GT Xpress 101!! There's quite a few available for sale on eBay that were probably used at least once and the seller is trying to get rid of it due to their disappointment. Thank you all for providing your comments and personal grief!!

• Tr
    Tried It Too Aug 14, 2008

08/14/08 I have had the GTXPress 101 for a week and was really looking forward to it. I "took advantage" of the special buy one, get one offer, and the recipe book subscription offer. I have used the GTXPress 3 times and the coating came off in a large section sticking to dinner; grilled Salmon on one side, and tater tots on the other. Please don't laugh, I was trying to use items on hand that were in limited quantities. Well, I was tempted to brush off the black flakes of appliance coating, but thought maybe that wouldn't be safe. I tossed dinner, and fired up the grill and had my salmon dinner bbq style. I did phone the Customer Service number and a very helpful/cheerful person asked me for the code number on the back and stated that the coating certainly should not come off if I am using spray-on cooking oil as required (I did use the spray-on cooking oil top and bottom). So I am being sent another GTXPress at no charge. I did cancel my recipe book subscription - this just might not be a fluke. Right? If it does happen again, I'll look at one of those little hot sandwich makers from another manufacturer and do some improvising. Happy cooking!

• Ra
    raoke Sep 09, 2008

I fell for this! I bought one for me and the "free" one was for a gift. I plugged mine in, put Pillsbury cinnamon rolls in both cups, turned around to get a plate out of the cupboard, turned back around and smoke was pouring out. The smoke was thick and black -- turning the outside edge of the cooker a nice copper color! Called the company -- told them I wanted to return them. They offered to refund the additional 14.95 I paid for the "free" -- told them no, I wanted all my money back and that I would call my credit card company and tell them. I also stated that there was a federal agency that dealt with recalls for safety issues and I would call them! The person I spoke to then raised the amount they would refund me to 20.00. She finally gave me an authorization number to use to return it.

• Fa
    Fannie Nov 22, 2008

Check it out at Target. Only 29.95 and no S & H fees.

• Ri
    Richard Donnell Nov 23, 2008

product works great but teflon started peeling off from about 3rd use

ken couch Dec 01, 2008

been 4 to 5 mo.still havent recieved my order but they charged my credit card pdq.

• Bo
    Bob Dec 22, 2008

Right after I purchased the GT Express I decided to cancel my order. I was told the customer service office was closed and I needed to call back but still could not get through. I decided to ship the merchandise back when it arrived. My biggest complaint is the outrageous fees they charge for shipping; $14.95 plus $14.95 for the unit that was "free". When I returned the merchandise using their enclosed return label, I was charged an additional $14.95 for shipping the return. Bottom line: I payed $90.00 originally and received $40.00 back. They kept $50.00 for shipping and handling. I will never purchase anything from this company again.

Andrea Dec 28, 2008

PEOPLE WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED??? YOU NEVER BUY THINGS FROM AN INFOMERCIAL... Ever since i found this website every infomercial or commercial i see i check it out...This grill thingy looks awesome and now that i have seen that a lot of people have had a problem with it i can't see myself buy one. GET A FOREMAN GRILL it works just the same.

• Be
    Bernie Feb 15, 2009

Have had my unit since just before Christmas. Bought it at our local Kohls for $29.00. For the most part the unit works as advertised. Mine is starting to get a few spots where the black is coming off. I use only the spatula that it came with and do spray with oil. I'm getting ready to call their customer service and see what they'll do for me.

• Di
    Diana Feb 20, 2009

I tried to cancel this item 10 min. after I ordered and was told that I had to wait 24 hours to be in the system. Called back the next day at 7 am pst. Was told already shipped and I could refuse pkg. or they would give me a credit of 14.95..I told them I wanted a full refund including S&H because they talked me into something I didn't want. I was told this would be done. The next three calls I made they told me I would get credit for item only. Long story short the S&H is more than the product would have cost me, and they will not give me credit. I am filing a complaint with my credit card co. and BBB.

• Ti
    Tina Mar 13, 2009

Waitng on the phone for such a long time isn't a pleasent experience and I have to say I hate the recording systerm. But I order the GT Express at

• La
    laura May 09, 2009

i was about to order one my self but know, no way jose. thanks for every one posting their complaints i will never buy anything that comes from this companys.

Mr_Flutter Jul 07, 2009

I ordered mine about 3 years ago. Tried to order online, but due to a then recent change in my zip code their on-line payment stuff wouldn't work correctly. So I called them. Ughh. Got someone who yacked my ears off and asked me to buy everything under the sun in-addition-to this item. He asked so many questions my cell phone battery died before the order finalized. He had my number by then, but never called me back to finish it. I manage customer service at my job and would never think to not call back if the call dropped. Anyway, I then went online again and ordered it using my old zip code, which worked. 2 weeks later I get two units. Then two weeks later another two units. I said to myself, "what the heck -- Christmas presents."

I open one box and begin using one of them and I must say I really do like the way they work. There is nothing like these out there -- and I do have a Forman grill as well, which is fine for what it does.

Fast-forward a couple months and, what's this? Black flakes coming off into my food? Dohh! POC! So into the trash it went. I swore I would never call these guys again, so I said to myself "live an learn."

After a year I decide to try a second unit out. Maybe the first one was just a bad unit. The second one lasted about 3 weeks -- being V E R Y careful to not scratch the surface. Then I tried a third unit. It lasted almost 2 months before the coating failed. I was feeling really good about that one -- then was let down. : ( The 4th unit still sits in the box new. Trying to decide what to do with it. Save it for rare occasions?

So, in all, it is a pretty good idea that someone who knows something about applying non-stick finishes ought to reinvent and make a good product. But in light of my experience I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND - NOT- buying these. Maybe they'll get the hint and do something about it.

• Na
    Nanslife1073 Jul 22, 2009

I wish I had found this site before buying mine as I was having all the same issues with my GT until i said to heck with it and threw them out. I then proceeded to email the company and explain about the bubbling/peeling teflon and they so generously offered to replace the machines free of charge for the minimal charge of 14.95 ea. machine for shipping... scratching head... Im thinking to myself why should I pay shipping on 2 machines that i have already paid shipping for, machines that turned out to be crap... they should cover these 100%. So I just get off the phone with the company and the girl is trying to tell me that because I bought them in 2008 and it is now 2009 (i still bought them less than 365 days ago) I now have to pay new shipping charges... scratching head again... I know they are full of it and I am now online with the BBB and I would suggest that everyone else do the same and have this "business" be held accountable for their bad business practices or be shut down.

• Na
    Nanslife1073 Jul 22, 2009

I bought these machines in sept. by jan the teflon was peeling and bubbling. I subsequently threw them out and sent and email to GT Direct telling them what a shoddy product they are selling and requesting a replacement. They proceeded to send me and email back saying they would be happy to help me for a fee of 14.95 each unit (29.90) for something i've already spent 70 bucks on that turned out to be defective... I then called an overseas customer service number only to be faced with the same speech except the person on the other end stated that because i bought them in 2008 and it is now a new year that is the reason for the new shipping charges... BS... anyway, I should not and refuse to pay additional charges of any kind because their product is defective... they should replace at their cost.

• St
    stinky business Sep 03, 2009

have been trying to find a place to complain re this scam called gtexpress, and i was talking to a male salesman who guide me tru the scene as it came to confirming the order total we repeated order it was 3times 19, 95 plus 14.95 for shipping and handlig this would give me two units and NOTHING elsee so we agreed to charge this to my mastercardtrhe total was 74, 75 so i submitted my card ##and waited this was in june 15 2009 it took some time to arrive, when it did we tried and surprisingly enough the units work fine to my surprise there was an invoice what indicated a rtecipe bool would be send ans would be charged than the total was 119, 25 so fatefully i send an email but the robot did not reply today my monthly statement indicated a unauthorized withdraw for another 25, 15 what a SCAM
    so now what do i do??? would like to see a better business bureau re this SCAM, .

Mr. Flutter_too Sep 04, 2009

Re: Stinky Business... Someone should contact someone. These guys are selling crap and charging a lot for it -- they STOLE from you an amount you didn't agree to. $119.95 is NOT $74.75.

I finally opened and am going to use the 4th unit I got until it is bad as well -- then I'll only have the 4 little spatulas and shake/stir containers to remind me of the disaster that is GT Express 101. FWIW, they probably give us all two because they know the first will fail (as will the second).

Mr. Flutter

• Sh
    Sharon Carlton Sep 06, 2009

I also have a GT Express which I purchased from the Infomercial last fall. Recently I made some of the little cakes and gave several of them to my daughter. She called a few days later and jokingly asked if I was trying to hurt my granddaughter. She had bit down on something and thought that part of her braces had come apart. As it turned out, one of the screws in the lid had fallen in the batter as I closed the machine to cook them and it baked into the cake. I e-mailed the company and they finally returned my e-mail and said that they would send me a new one if I sent the $14.95 shipping and handling. To this date, I have not sent the money in because I'm scared that the same thing will happen to the next one and I don't feel that I should pay for the shipping if the product was defective in the first place. The screw actually broke off and part of it still holds the lid in place. I didn't have the problem that several of the people have with the coating coming off.
    Thanks, Sharon

mrsdollface Sep 19, 2009

i bought a gt express in August of 2009..the first day i used it the black not stick coating came of..i thought ok maybe i did something wrong ..so the next time i used it and from then on i have made sure that i carefully followed the directions about cooking and cleaning and low and behold every single time more black coating comes off..i am just outside my 30 day guarantee and am really upset...i am stuck with a machine that i cant use because of the flakes and yet i cant get my money back..its not right..every company that mass produces sends there items thru a checking area to make sure item works sufficiently..as far as im concerned they know the item doesnt work, but figures it will last maybe the 30 days and then they dont have to take it back, , , i want my money back, , waht can i do..this is a total rip off..

• Do
    DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT Nov 04, 2009

I ORDERED ONE AND NEVER GOT MY PRODUCT OR MONEY BACK!! THIS COMPANY IS A BIG RIP OFF DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT!!!

• Br
    Bri cheese Nov 10, 2009

I got this for Christmas two years ago, stored it, never used it. After cleaning out the garage I decided to give it a go and so fat it's the best thing that's happened to omlettes. I don't have the mess, the sloppy looking results afterwards. Just perfect ones in 5 minutes! Unlike most, I recommend it, since it was free and have had no problems yet! (knock on wood)

• Di
    Disappointed Mom Nov 24, 2009

WOW, I am so bummed.
    I was so excited to buy the GT Express for my son Christmas and maybe one for me. The infomercial's made it look perfect for his needs. What a wonderful concept for you young man who hates to deal with lots of pots and pans let alone the clean up. My son lives so far away, and would never tell me a gift was defective nor would he take the time to even try to send the defective item back. He would just throw it away and I would be none the wiser. I guess that is what this company that makes the GT Express is banking on. Us just throwing away THEIR DEFECTIVE PRODUCT.

Can you imagine how much MORE MONEY this company would make IF they had a REALLY GOOD QUALITY Product? Or how much MORE MONEY they would they make if they had QUALITY CUSTOMER SERVICE? How much MORE MONEY would this company would make IF THEY ACTUALLY STOOD BEHIND THEIR OWN PRODUCTS? Every household would have to have this product IF THIS COMPANY HAD INTEGRITY.

I think I will just go ahead and buy my son the George Forman. I have a George Forman and I at least know how well made it is and how well it works. I hate being scammed by low life greedy companies that have no integrity. Some day, they will get their just rewards.

• Ka
    kadenj Mar 05, 2010

like everyone else i have had problem with the coating coming off, would have been a nice machine but it was so so stupid for them to make the teflon coating coming off so easily that it ruins the whole thing, , , , dumb ### people, , , wish I came up with this idea but I sure will not dissapoint consumers, , , , you guys better off at buying at target to avoid s&h and bullcrap !!!

Another Perspective Mar 13, 2010

The difficulty with complaints in general and a complaints board specifically is people need a place to vent about failures. What you don't often here is how happy someone is with a product or situation. I have had my GT Xpress 101 now for four months, and I am absolutely tickled pink with it!

I use cooking spray generously every time I cook anything in it and wipe it down with a damp paper towel after I'm done. Once a week I dump the whole kit and kaboodle in the sink and wash it thoroughly. I don't soak it, just give it a good bath and then let it dry on the countertop for a couple of days. I have no issues with screws falling out or the teflon flaking off, or food sticking or anything else.

I make pizza pockets and fresh chocolate cakes and breakfast quiches and all types of other wonderful goodies with this appliance. It's been a godsend for my portion control and since it's just my husband and I now (after raising four kids) so it even reminds me to make enough for just us and not a small army.

I've been able to make dinner and then bake desert in it while we eat, so having a fresh, hot desert when we're ready for it. It's been great!

I use my GT Xpress 101 almost every day, and I love it more than words can accurately define.

• Ha
    hank w a hart Mar 16, 2010

as i have purchased this product in june 2009 and agreed with the salesperson that the total price would be 77.35 so when it arrived we tryed both units and were surprised how nice they are but soon after the coating started to come off, when checking the statement what came with units it stated the total price was 111.00 and statement quoted another recipie book was on the way[did not order such item ]as i tryed to call the robot answering devices did not guide me to a live operater, so since than my mastercaed was charged too much as i tried to call them same robotservices did not give me a life operator now the mastercard keeps on billing me for too much and i advised them twice with registered mail but they kept ignoring my letters IS THAT WHY THEY GET BIG BONUSSES?? what a stty business too bad society allows this garbage to be sold, thanks for listening so far./.

• Mi
    Mike in MN May 03, 2010

I bought a GT Xpress from a local store, after using it the first time, while I washed it (soft cloth, soap and hot water), the non-stack coating has started peeling from the machine... buy cheap junk, its what you get

• Tj
    TJFreeholdNJ Jul 21, 2010

I just brought one today at my local supermarket, where they were selling them for $11.99! I said, "What the heck... I've seen it on the informercial and the thing looks great".

I haven't tried it out yet, but for $11.99 I won't feel bad if the black coating comes off and I toss the unit in the trash.

Cheryl Golden Sep 18, 2010

I ordered the cook books tha are to be delivered ea. month for $9.95 plus postage/handling at $4.95. I want to cancel this order and went to [protected]@gtxpress.com and there is no site??? Cannot find customer service on regular web site to cancel. Anyone know how I can cancel online? Or should I try the [protected] phone number? (only open 9-6 Mon. thru Fri.~

• Me
    merl48 Nov 30, 2010

Let us all get together and ask for a recall onthe thing. We were all sucker punched. Who should we contact?

• Th
    TheresaTee Dec 08, 2010

I have had no issues so far. I purchased the item almost new in a goodwill store for $1.25. It is missing the spoon, but I can handle that.