Gillece Plumbingprice gouging, deceptive practices

P

I called Gillece about a clogged tub. The "technician" arrived fairly quickly and did an inspection of the access area to the tub, which is a rectangular opening cut in the wall behind the faucet and water valves. He shined his flashlight on the trap and told me immediately that the trap would have to be replaced, and even if he removed the cap on the trap, it would be impossible to get a snake through to remove the clog. After consulting a couple of pricing manuals, he informed me that it would cost $1500 to replace the trap. I told him, "thanks for coming" and escorted him to the door. I called a "regular plumber", who arrived in a couple of hours. It took him about 20 minutes to get the cap off the trap because it was so old, but five minutes later he had the clog cleared with an electric snake. Leave it to "Joe the Plumber" to do the "impossible." Cost me $205.00 on a weekend.
The people at Gillece should be put in jail. I don't know how they sleep at night.

• Li
    Lisa Nolan Feb 13, 2011

Totally agree! My husband and I needed our hot water heater fixed the day before the super bowl. We called Gillece mainly because of the advertisements and not knowing who else to call. Long story short, it didn't take the tech long to tell us we needed another hot water heater (which my husband questions now) and gave us a quote for $3, 300! We were able to negotiate down to $2, 900 because I had a competitive quote from a little over a year ago, and his explanation was that prices really went up between last year and this year! I wanted to tell him to go "fly a kite" but left the decision up to my husband who was desperate to get it fixed right away, so we paid it. I really regret our decision and think we're going to file a complaint with the BBB. I'm hearing so many stories like this now on the internet that I can't believe we were sucked into it, but I'm sure we're like so many other people. Take my advice, "DON'T call Gillece!"