FunMobile.comUnsolicited text messaging!

L

This company sends unsolicited text messages that result in $5.99 charge against your cell service. They have sent 7 messages in 14 days. Verizon Wireless seems unwilling to block this scam operator. Do the state Attorneys General have any jurisdiction here? Plz advise smb!

• Al
    Alan Newman Dec 12, 2006

I've been getting unsolicited text messages on my cell phone, from funmobile....I ask them to stop and they don't accept my reply as a message. I want them to stop.

• Pa
    Paula Guillemette Dec 16, 2006

I'm having the same problem. I keep trying to make them stop and I get no reply. Only many text messages and a bill from Verizon. I have not asked for this service and I want it to stop. Is there anyone out there that can help me make them stop?

• Sh
    shad mantooth Dec 17, 2006

I just tried to log on to a web site, it read, FREE ring tone next thing i know i'm subscribed 14x19.99/mo.!

• El
    elvia cartagena Dec 20, 2006

This company is sending my phone unwanted jokes everyday and everyday I have to erase these messages that I never signed up for. And now they are stating that I will be charged $5.99 weekly and $23.99 monthly. How can I stop this from happening? And also how do I get a hold of this company. I will have to shut down my service with Sprint if they are not willing to Block this person from charging me. I will refuse to pay THIS PERSON. Please respond A.S.A.P. I will have to go further than this.

• Li
    Linda Zonetti Dec 21, 2006

I began receiving these messages last week. I notified Verizon that they were unsolicited. I was advised to reply with "Stop" "Unsubscribe" "Quit". I receive a return reply that my mail is not understood. Verizon told me to contact them if the messages do not stop. They offered to credit my account for these calls. Wish me luck!

• Me
    Melissa Daniel Dec 26, 2006

I received jokes unsolicited and was charged $5.99 each through my Verizon cell phone company. I called them and they said that they just billed for them. When I ask for a phone number to discuss this with FunMobile, I was given a phone number to unsubscribe. I cannot send an email or call anyone about these charges. If anyone has an email address or a phone number I would like to have it. This is a scam and needs to be investigated.

• Je
    Jerry Finch Dec 27, 2006

I have been billed twice for $5.99 for unsolicited text messages by cell phone service provider (Alltel) and they would do nothing about it, other than who the charges were from.

• Ro
    ronald l mancini Jan 01, 2007

For the last 2 months I have been billed $66.90 for unwanted text msg on my verizon account, I have tried to contact funmobile without any satisfaction. I did not subscribe to this service and don't want it. Anybody, help me to get it stopped.

• Ba
    BARBARA MARNEY Jan 03, 2007

I thought i was getting free ringtone but now keep getting text msgs and am being charged to my cell phone. I have e-mailed them twice to stop it with no reply and text messages are still coming.

• To
    Tosha S. Webb Jan 03, 2007

I was on line and a pop up said, "enter cell # for a free ring tone"... I did and now I'm being billed $5.99 a week.

• Jp
    J Porter Jan 14, 2007

Have called customer service number to unsubscribe, have texted message STOP to no avail. Have contacted the BBB , still waiting for response from them...

• Ph
    Phyllis Solar Jan 16, 2007

I received a text message from 996-21 stating that I am subscribed to Value Club 2 for jokes. I am being charged $5.99 a week/ 23.96 a month. I do not want this service! I don't know how to contact them.

Please help!
    Thanks.

• Lm
    L Massey Jan 21, 2007

They better not send me anymore text or Verizon will lose me as a customer

• Je
    Jennifer Scott Jan 22, 2007

For all who got stuck with this crap here you go...
    [email protected]

I threatened them with the BBB and the FTC for false advertising.....lets keep fake companies like this from ever doing business again. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Jennifer Scott

• Pa
    Pauline Young Jan 23, 2007

I also was told that I would receive free ring tones, and then received a message about the charge, so I cancelled it within an hour and was told that it was cancelled, but I was still charged $6.00 for this. I just hope that I don't get any more charges from Funmobile as I don't want it. I have never received anything for the $6.00 that they did charge me. This is a scam. I guess nothing is free.

• Ho
    Hope Forte Feb 26, 2007

I've been getting these jokes everyday and I have asked them to stop and they keep sending them to me and my phone is being charged for something that I haven't subscribed to. Please help me to take these charges off of my phone bill and to make them stop texting me. I can't change my phone number because I have a lot of business being handled by this phone number.

• Ke
    Kevin Gardner Feb 26, 2007

I received a $30.00 charge on my verizon bill for text messages. I have unsubscribed to all services from this company. - this is a nightmare - there is no customer service number and no way to contact them. BBB need to shut them down - how many people are they getting money from - since they are not a us company - what do we do???

Charlotte Williams Mar 01, 2007

Yes i would like for them to stop text messaging me as well they shouldn't be able to get away with it and yes they are charging me 5.99 per day i will eventually shut my cell phone down if this continues and i will not carry one.

• Cy
    cynthia chiplis Mar 13, 2007

I have called customer service number to unsubscribe, have sent message STOP to no avail. Have contacted the BBB, still waiting for response from FunMobile...

• Ju
    Judy Cooper Mar 27, 2007

You can also call to unsubscribe: 1-800-659-4091.

We sent a text on Deal or No Deal and this was the result of sending that text!

• Bo
    Bob Apr 03, 2007

People should note that FunMobile is a Hong-Kong company. The BBB can't do anything to them. The BBB is worthless 99% of the time because they are not a law enforcement company, they are nothing more than a customer complaint department that sometimes gets things done, most companies just ignore them.

Anyways... starting to get the blitz from this company now myself. received 2 inside a few minutes and didn't reply or anything. if i find something out, I'll post it here.

• Gw
    Gwen Sewell Apr 25, 2007

I am having the same problem with FunMobile.comas all of the others that have emailed.

I am sick and tired of the jokes on a daily basis but even more importantly the charges to my Sprint account are unwarranted.

HELP!!!

• Ca
    Carol Turner May 17, 2007

FunMobile.com keep charging my cell phone for something that i don't want

• Me
    Melissa Zirkel May 31, 2007

The first time I ever heard of this company was when I started getting, and apparently paying for, these stupid messages. Is there no way to stop them?

Ms Hoard Jun 01, 2007

Here is an email I sent to [email protected] on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:32 PM:

Dear funmobile.com Customer Care,

I got my first cell phone on April 18, 2007. On April 21, 2007 I was charged $5.99 for PREM_SMS 99621 Funmobile Alerts. I was charged another $5.99 on April 28, 2007 again for PREM_SMS 99621 Funmobile Alerts. I was aware that someone was sending me stupid jokes in text messages, but I was not aware that I was being charged for them, since I had never requested that any such messages be sent to my phone. Once I realized what was going on I canceled this "service" that I had never requested. I was unfamiliar with text messages and cell phones, but that does not give Funmobile any right to take advantage of my cellular naivety.

Is it standard practice for Funmobile to sabotage new cellular users in this manner? I suppose a substantial amount of money could be made by preying upon new cell phone users who are unfamiliar with hidden costs and charges that can be accrued just by opening and reading an unsolicited text message. I suspect this is especially true because most unsuspecting "customers" would rather just pay the six or twelve dollars and be on their way than take the time to write to you and let you know what a scam it is you are running.

In my opinion, Funmobile owes me $11.98. Maybe I am displaying more credulity in sending this email and thinking that I will get any sort of sympathetic response.

Sincerely,
    S Hoard.
    new Verizon customer.

This was Funmobile's response:
    (I love how they thanked me for "choosing" Funmobile.)

June 02, 2007, 07:37 AM RE: funmobile unsolicited sale joshchuah

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Funmobile!

We received your request to discontinue your subscription to our service(s); however, we are unable to fully process your request at this time. In order to continue the cancellation process, we need the mobile number of the handset that is receiving our services. Please send this information to [email protected] as soon as possible to avoid further delay in processing your request.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Funmobile.

Sincerely,
    Josh
    Funmobile Customer Care

This is my reply to Josh at Funmobile Customer Care:

Did you even read my previous correspondence? I already canceled the "service" I received without my permission. I still believe Funmobile should reimburse me for charges I paid for the unrequested service.

I will post any progress I have made with this matter.

Ms Hoard Jun 01, 2007

The only way I realized I was being billed for stupid, unrequested text message jokes from Funmobile was because I eventually scrolled down one of the messages and it had directions on how to unsubscribe and it may have mentioned something about the charges.

I can't remember exactly how I did it, but it was something like texting STOP or CANCEL to 99621. I think that was the number. I may check into filing a law suit against Funmobile for their shady practice of signing unsuspecting new cellular customers up for their "service." I believe that in order for someone to be charged for a service the person should be expected to do something active like sending a positive response, as opposed to acceptance being implied by a non-response.

I am unfamiliar with the law, but maybe all the people Funmobile has swindled can file a joint suit against this fraudulent company.

• He
    henry bryan Jun 02, 2007

How to cancel funmobile?

jay birch Jun 12, 2007

Yes you can reply msg STOP to 99621 , that will stop it , but you need to call 1877 661 1136 to talk to customer service... I was able to convince the chinese guy, that I DIDNT SIGN UP FROM THEIR WEBSITE!! It was from a myspace ad, that offered a free ringtone... well, I talked to him calmly, and he agreed to a PARTIAL refund, but by that time i was like "Well, thats better than nothing" so i got back 59.00 out of like 250.00... i should took care of it sooner, but oh well, ...PLUS ALLTELL would NOT help me block these guys!! !!$#$!% they're just as bad as these A-HOLES

• De
    deborah crowley Jun 29, 2007

I subscribed to a free service, I didn't have any credit on my phone, the next thing I know I get a message saying I had used $30 dollars in services, I have used nothing. This is a big money making scam. To con people.

Jacob Fraemohs Jul 17, 2007

I has same problem, I canceled. Text messages stopped but was still charged. Sprint can block things like this though.

• Su
    suganya Jul 23, 2007

I am getting unwanted sms from this site which is charging me 200$ billing charge from the starhub, so i regret this i didn't want any further sms from this site if i t is there i am going to complaint at cybercrime.

• Ci
    cindy marshall Sep 12, 2007

Come on guys I can't be the only one having trouble with (FUNMOBILE) Warning stay away from that name and logo or you will go loco trying to get help!!! Lets hear from you all be it good or bad!

Jordan Stewart Sep 25, 2007

call this number 1877-225-1198, and you will get hold to a customer service rap...i talk to 1 called davidchan..with some really bad english,but he claimed he's from Austrailia(doubt it anyway)...he really sounds like a chinese after all...so they should be some scammers from the far east...

• Ke
    Kelvin Smith Sep 25, 2007

In accordance with the Mobile Marketing Association's (MMA) Consumer Best Practices Guidelines, Funmobile requires a "double opt-in" which means the consumer must complete a two-part process of soliciting service before the subscription can begin and charges can incur. First, a cell phone user must enter his/her cell phone number on our web page, and agree to our Terms of Service. Second, after receiving an SMS reply from Funmobile, the user confirms their subscription by either inserting a unique PIN code (received via SMS) on the web, or by replying YES via SMS from their cell phone. The user is ONLY subscribed to the service if they have completed this second step confirming that they wish to proceed with the subscription. This "second opt-in" ensures that users own the mobile phone number that is being inserted on the web page and that they have the handset in their possession when subscribing. Therefore no third-person number can be subscribed to Funmobile unless they have permission from the owner to use that cell phone/cell phone number and as a result can confirm the subscription as per step 2.

* TERMS OF SERVICE
    Complimentary Ringtone offer is only for compatible handsets on AT&T Wireless, Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, Cellular One, Centennial Wireless, Sprint PCS, Nextel, Alltel, Boost and Cincinnati Bell.This is a CSW Poly Ringtone, Color Wallpaper, Joke subscription service. By signing up for this service and by entering your personal PIN Code which will be sent to the cell phone number supplied by you on this website, you acknowledge that you are subscribing to our service. AT&T WIRELESS will be billed monthly at $19.99 and receive credits for 14 Poly Ringtone. T-MOBILE, CELLULAR ONE AND CENTENNIAL WIRELESS will be billed monthly at $9.99 and receive credits for 5 Poly Ringtone. SPRINT PCS will be billed weekly at $5.99 and receive credits for 7 Poly Ringtone. NEXTEL AND ALLTEL will be billed weekly at $5.99 and receive a daily Joke 5 times a week. BOOST will be billed monthly at $6.99 and receive a daily Joke 5 times a week. CINCINNATI BELL will be billed monthly at $9.99 and receive a daily Joke 5 times a week. VERIZON WIRELESS with MMS and Polytones ringtones compatible cell phones will be billed monthly at $19.99 and receive credits for 8 Poly Ringtone and credits for 5 Color Wallpaper , other users with incompatible cell phones will be billed monthly at $19.99 and receive a daily Joke 5 times a week. All plans are subject to the Terms of Service. Games, Monophonic Ringtones, Operator Logos, and Picture Messages are not supported by T-Mobile. Users under 18 years of age require parents permission. Unused credits will not be rolled over to next month. Normal carrier charges (WAP, GPRS, SMS, MMS) apply. The charge will be billed on your wireless phone bill or deducted from your prepaid balance. For help send "HELP" to 71769. To cancel your plan, send a text "stop" to 71769 at anytime. In case of questions please contact customer service at [email protected] or call 1877 225 1198. Other Charges may apply.

• Bi
    Biff Bortland Oct 01, 2007

To those of you who have texted back a "STOP" message to the company to no avail, there is one SUREFIRE way to stop this once and for all. You call your cell provider and request a FULL block on ALL text messaging. Yes, this also means you will not be able to text your little friends and get text messages from them, but you know what? Text messaging is a STUPID way to communicate anyway....if you want to talk to someone, CALL them... duh... and it is worth it b/c not only will the current billing stop, you will NEVER again have to worry that any unscrupulous third parties will be able to bill you on your cell phone for garbage you don't want. And then your friends who hide behind text messages will be forced to actually CALL you and have a conversation. We live in such a tech-happy world that people have acquired all new means of communication that they think are acceptable but TEXT messaging is crap and we should ALL do away with it anyway. No loss.... win/win situation.

• To
    Tom Welsh Oct 06, 2007

I was the victim of this company as well. When I mistakenly subscribed, I immediately called them and was told no problem, I would not be charged and the account would be cancelled.

Lie!

Got a charge on my T-Mobile bill anyway. Funmobile customer contact is closed on Saturdays, so I called T-Mobile and told them the story. They agreed to give me a full credit for the charge and to "blacklist" this company from ever trying to charge me again. Kudos to T-Mobile....I am a customer for life! Perhaps your carrier will help you in this manner as well....

• Ca
    Cathy Wong Oct 24, 2007

No company has a right to bill for something which they do not tell consumers of in the first place. I logged into Funmobile website early this month. At no time did they say that there would be a membership fee, or a charge of any kind. I did not ask for any service nor did I use any service from them. And I am annoyed that they keep sending me sms messages. And horrified that my service provider, Singtel has billed me, on their behalf, a weekly fee of $19.96! I am refusing to pay for what I do not want, or need. All our services - mobile, home line and broadband. I'm considering canceling all of them if I do not get a cancellation on that fee. And what's more I'll never use Singtel again. To think that I trusted them and they can bill on behalf of such a deceptive service, which sounds like a huge scam to me. Consumers beware!

• Su
    S Upperman Nov 14, 2007

I contacted ATT and learned that there is a free option under "Media Net Parental Controls" to set "Purchase Blocker" to ON. No purchases can be made with my phone unless I use a PIN to approve the purchase.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices