Firestone Tire & Service Centersdammages and treated like i'm stupid

I submitted a BBB complaint about this company on 8.3.09 due to the manner in which Mike Shaw treated me.

On 7.24.09, I had encountered an issue with my breaks that I did not understand after having them done by Firestone in February. My breaks made a VERY loud noise and I was extremely close to not stopping when coming to a busy intersection. Had I not veered out of the turn lane I had intended on being in, I would have rear ended the person in front of me. I took my car to Firestone to get this issue checked out. Yes, I was emotional because I have not experienced that before and my young child was in the car. Instead of being understanding, Mike Shaw opted to be extremely unprofessional and rude to me. When he called and let me know that nothing was wrong with my breaks, he was again just as uncaring as possible, not explaining anything to me. When I went in to pick up my car, Mike was not there, however the person who was at the front was less than concerned when I told him about the crack that had appeared in the skirt of my seat where someone had clearly thought they could move my seat forward in order to reach the pedals.He simply said, "Mike will be in tomorrow." Offered nothing more and was just as rude as Mike Shaw had been.

I have not taken my car back to them because, frankly, I'm afraid something else will get dammaged. My car is not a Lexus, but I treat it like it is something I cannot replace because I CAN NOT replace it.

I have a history of having this Firestone take care of my vehicle because it is so close to where I work and I have never received this kind of service from them, however after this incident, I am having to reconsider that decision. In order to understand what occurred on 7.24.09, I had to call a dealership to ask them why my car behaved the way it did, and only THEN was I told that the sound I heard coming from my breaks is my ABS. I have owned my car for two years and have never had the breaks replaced, but have also never heard my ABS kick in, so obviously I'm under the assumption that something is now wrong with my breaks.

There is a lot riding on my breaks, however emotions aside, I want to make sure the $400.00 I paid to have my breaks completely redone is not a complete loss.

On 8.24.09 I received a response from Mike Shaw:

Vehicle was dropped off for a brake inspection complaining of vehicle not stopping in normal distance. Vehicle brakes were inspected and no problems were found. We called customer and explained that the noise she heard could have come from her ABS brake system and that the vehicle probably stopped at a shorter distance then would have accrued without having ABS option on her vehicle. Her complaint of a cracked drivers seat skirt because we moved her seat forward has no merit. Moving the seat to a safe position for the technician to drive the vehicle on a test drive is a standard automotive practice. Mark Shaw

I notified the BBB that this is not acceptible. Mike is still treating me as though I am a raving lunatic when all I am trying to do is ensure the $400.00 + I spent on breaks was not a total waste of money.

• Bf
    BFossett Aug 27, 2009

I wanted to follow up on this complaint. I spoke to the area manager for this company and he asked that I take my vehicle to another firestone right down the road. I was none too enthused about this because they, too, have a vested interest in seeing this claim settled as quickly and quietly as possible.

Was I ever shocked when I spoke to that store manager, Will. He is SO patient, SO understanding, and extremely nice. I would certainly recommend that location (closer to 635 on MacArthur). He certainly redeamed the Firestone name for me. Thanks Will!