Extra Space Storagefraud and scam

R Review updated:

These people have a license to steal. They can sign for shipments which then “mysteriously disappear" and you will have no recourse.

My problem was with a location in New Orleans but apparently their corporate policy is to ignore customer complaints, so you will have the same problem anywhere. I used the Extra Space Storage at for over a year to receive and store products for my business. This location recently changed managers and the new manager of the site signed for a UPS shipment of two custom made rugs valued at $3, 000 which then disappeared.

UPS has the manager's signature on file as receiving the shipment, and he acknowledges signing for them but says he never saw them, he just signed for them without verifying they had actually been delivered. I asked him to review the tape from the security cameras and was told they didn't show the rugs or anyone taking them.

The response from Extra Space has been unbelievable. Rather than trying to help me, the first thing the site manager did was to show me the clause in the contract that says they are not responsible for anything they sign for. The insurance they sell is worthless – it also has a clause that excludes “mysterious disappearance". DOZENS of calls to their corporate office, regional manager and area manager have gone unanswered –NOT ONE RETURN CALL!

DO NOT use Extra Space Storage for anything. Their refusal to return my calls at every level, from regional manager all the way to the corporate office, proves they have no interest in you as a consumer. Someone stole $3, 000 worth of custom rugs from me.

The Extra Space Corporate office's policy of refusing to return phone calls to try to determine where the theft occurred gives their site managers a free hand to do whatever they want with the items you've stored there. There are lots of storage places; use anyone but Extra Space.

• Pa
    Paul Mageos Feb 02, 2010

These guyz are terrible, suffering with them for the past 2 months... and it's not resolved yet :(

• Je
    Jennelle Thomas Jan 14, 2016

I have also had dealings with the store in san Francisco / Folsom st branch. The exact same no call back issue and discriminatory behavior on part of managers there..

• Mk
    MKind May 10, 2016

This company unprofessionally refuses to conduct business by email and does not inform you of this. They have a discriminatory policy of only informing tenants of payments and unit status through mobile phones and the Postal Service. So, for example, if you are in the military and deployed abroad your lifetime of belongings can be sold without your knowledge.

• He
    Herbert Ramalho Sep 02, 2018

Awful customer service at the store. Made reservation online, which says 1st month free, but when got to the store was greeted with the worst way possible by store manager, and was charged 1st month of rent upfront. Deceitful propaganda.
    I do not recommend

• Re
    Relevant Ads Nov 12, 2018

We have tried to claim and verify listings for Extra Space Storage and our extensive edits are not being published. We are able to save and syndicate updates, but it seems like Yext is pushing them to Yahoo but Yahoo is not publishing. They said two weeks maximum and it has been more than 2 weeks. Please advise.

• Re
    Relevant Ads Nov 12, 2018

• En
    Enrique Perez Jr Jul 27, 2019

I have an ongoing storage unit and I access it from time to time. Today around 3pm in need of putting some items in storage I could not find a cart anywhere. This pushed my weekly chores back and this isn't what I signed up for.

• Zo
    ZombieGirl22 Sep 06, 2020

@Enrique Perez Jr I have seen this too but a lot of the customer steal them and put them in their units. I have seen them myself as i have came their to put my items in. The managers now have to put poles on them or put trackers on them to see where they are. Most of the time people take them to other buildings to use them Sometimes you just have to walk a little bit and look like all the rest of us do.

• Mi
    mike wellwood Jan 02, 2020

Why is it locked? Its Christmas eve and my gifts are in my storage??? (???

Comments

• Zo
    ZombieGirl22 Sep 06, 2020

@mike wellwood The office normally closes on Christmas eve early around 1pm for a half day to spend with their family but most sites gates are open from 6am -10pm everyday including holidays so you should have been able to get in.