Having problems with Elance?

Elance reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Sep 20, 2007. The latest review Deceived by Brainstorm Force freelancer from Elance was posted on Nov 23, 2015. The latest complaint Simply horrible was resolved on Feb 08, 2010. Elance has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 6 reviews. Elance has resolved 2 complaints.

Elance Customer Service Contacts

441 Logue Avenue
Mountain View, California

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Elance Customer Service. Initial Elance complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Elance above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Elance. Discuss the issues you have had with Elance and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Elance Complaints & Reviews

ElanceDeceived by Brainstorm Force freelancer from Elance

I hired Brainstorm Force in India who was dishonest with me and deceived me. I hired them to help me gain internet presence and rank higher on search engines but I found out that during the time I hired them, I was never listed with any search engines. No one could find me! I didn't pay this freelancer to have no one find me on the internet!! I couldn't believe it. I have proof that I was deceived by this freelancer and had to hire another company outside of Elance to fix this issue which is a big deal. I called Elance and tried to get my money back but their process for refunding my money after funds are released through escrow is nonexistent. Basically, you won't get your money back even if a freelancer deceived you and it was fraud! Even requesting for a refund after a job is closed is pretty much 0%. It is up to the freelancer to refund my money and I'm 100% sure they will not refund my money. Elance has no process for dealing with fraud after escrow is released and since I didn't know much about search engine optimization, I believed the freelancing company I hired. I believed they were doing their job to help me succeed and I believed all their status updates they provided. BIG MISTAKE ON MY PART. I'm just sorry I hired this freelancer and I'm even more sorry that I went through Elance. I want to get my hard earned money back.

ElanceElance verification

Hello ..
    Here complaint for Elance service provider. last 2 week my account is suspend due to verification., every day chat support give me excuse like my business partner will be process today like that. but till day he didn't verify the account. every day i was wait for skype call but didnt get ny reply.
    So need advise how to take legal process for this company. i have all chat history and mail for it.
    Thanks

ElanceHard Place to Get Paid

Elance.com - A place for freelancer to invest most of their time, and when it is time to get you paid or get the money from Elance they get dumb, or start creating issues. They have even taught or developed their automatic softwares working to create mess only to make it hard to get money from them either if you want to get paid or you are robbed by another freelancer.

They even made a set up of fraudulent even if you and your freelancer are OK to get paid and pay.

Really a big mess for the start ups and a big challange everyday for the regulars. They can do anything after they have money in your hands, even can make you inactive.

Just a gamble place to earn, No safe place for genuine people to earn or get your work done.

Never choose Elance for any requirements if can't play with your time and money.

Sad Bidding - Elance

Hard Place to Get Paid
      Hard Place to Get Paid

ElanceSimply horrible

Elance is a joke if you are looking to provide quality work (and get anything close to a fair wage). For buyers it's even worse. The whole site is chalk full of low-quality providers with glowing resumes and feedback. The thing is the providers make multiple accounts and "trade" projects within the accounts for that very feedback.

Elance turns a blind eye so they can collect their service fees.

Their escrow isn't a real escrow system, the website itself has errors all the time and if you are looking for any type of customer service or support you get a phone answering machine and an email support service that never returns emails.

Elance is by far the worst freelancing site I have ever had the misfortune of working with.

If you ever think of checking it out be sure and READ their 800 page terms of service statement. They are not responsible for ANYTHING. They can come back and take money you made months ago if they want (and they have citing problems and fraud)...even though their system is supposed to prevent these things.

Elance is a joke and a horrible affront to decent business practices.

jonfweber May 05, 2015

Elance took a fee for posting jobs and then cut off my account without explanation. Attempted repeatedly to get them on the phone or to reply to emails. This is a scam

• Ig
            Iguchi Apr 14, 2015

I have been calling and trying to work with Elance for the past five weeks. They have locked my account due to inactivity in my account (I hadnt filled out a status report from one of my clients)
            As soon as I was made aware of this I immediately took all the actions that they requested. What followed was radio silence.
            You cannot speak to Risk Management (who start at 12:00 EST) and they are the only people that can clear my account. I was told by one of the CS Reps that people have been waiting over a month for their account and there is nothing they can do.
            Now I am waiting on payment of over $1000.00 and cannot accept another job from a happy client which is another $1000.00 job.
            The customer service reps are not empowered to do ANYTHING and the poor things just have to listen to complaints. When I finally got a manager on the phone he was rude and told me there was nothing he could do either and that they were waiting fro more information from my client. That was the first time I had heard that in FIVE weeks. I should not be held accountable for the lack of action on their side.
            I have lost five weeks of work, am unable to pay my bills because they are holding my money and are no help.

• Th
            ThTomson Jun 01, 2011

I'm not discounting any problems you've experienced, but I have had nothing but good experiences as both a provider and client. It's unfortunate that people go to lengths to "trade" feedback, but I am just providing a recommendation for the company as someone who enjoys their services, especially compared to alternatives.

ElanceUnauthorized charges

I wish I had seen all the reports on here and on all these other websites talking about the Elance escrow scam.

Figure I might as well warn people with my example. I see people have posted reports on here already. My story is pretty much the same.

I put a job out on Elance for workers to bid on. I awarded the job to someone I thought was a good bet. They had good feedback, had 4 of what Elance calls 'verified' credentials, and had good test scores.

Well it was horrible. I notice on one test score they scored top 5% on English Spelling and also on vocabulary. Well, their bid was perfect English. After I gave them the job you could barely understand what they were saying.

I put the $750 project cost into Elance Escrow because it said I would be protected.

The provider was horrible. They couldn't follow the project details or even simple instructions. They drug the whole thing out for like 3 weeks before they finally just said they didn't have the expertise to do it.

So it takes me a week and a half to get ahold of Elance before they tell me I have to download this huge word document and fill it in and upload it to the system. Then the worker is supposed to fill out his portion and upload it.

So I do my part. A few days later the worker does his part and he says the same thing I do in the file - agree to refund the escrow money.

After waiting about a week I start calling Elance wondering where my money is. I called for 4 days straight. One day I think I called 14 or 15 times. They never answer and never return my messages. They finally sent me an automated reply to one of my emails about a week or so after I sent it to them.

I was originally told that if the worker agreed to a refund in his report that I would be refunded immediately.

That was now 41 days ago. The money is still in Elance escrow and I have had to file a report with my credit card company for fraud.

And this is the kicker (why I say they lie). I was able to check on 2 of the references he had that Elance said were VERIFIED. They had never heard of the worker.

I've never had this kind of problem with places like Odesk or rentacoder. Problems with a project every now and then but never the company ignoring emails and stealing escrow money.

Wish I had done some research on Elance and their scam before trying them out.

But if one buyer saves himself from being a victim of the Elance scam then I guess this post is worth it.

• Ou
              Our_House Jun 23, 2011

Elance abuses Privacy! I have just been informed by a 3rd party (who fully disclosed he was a 3rd party) that elance released my transaction history!
              This 3rd party is not a registered user of elacne, there was no subpoena, no warrant and no request from any law enforcement agency but this 3rd party was able to send several well crated emails to elance inquiring about my account, acting as a 3rd party and was able to get access to my transactional history.

Be warned of elance they do NOT protect your privacy.
              They will release your personal data and release your financial records to anyone...

chats_cj Aug 10, 2010

Hi I'm evaluating Elance and I came across this message board.

I'm just curious to know about the ESCROW system at Elance. Is there a way to identify whether the employer has put the money to the ESCROW account? And how do we request half the money upfront? Does that condition has to be an outcome of a negotiation with the employer?

Thanks

Chats

• Ta
              TaylorK Jan 26, 2010

I am so sorry that you didn't receive your money but you should never ever start a project until it has been funded. In fact, what I do is request half upfront and released before I even start the project and the remainder within 3 days after final draft is delivered. If it is not granted then I keep all rights to the work and will use it elsewhere. I make all buyers sign a contract agreeing to this before I begin any projects and haven't had any issues whatsoever getting my money. Again I am sorry but maybe you can implement a similar policy in the future as I do think Elance is a great way for buyers and providers to connect and for providers to make money.

• Mi
              MitaM Oct 14, 2009

I am a provider on Elance. I was awarded a project by a buyer who apparently has a good track record on Elance. It was an Escrow funded project but even sending two reminders, the buyer did not fund the project. I completed the project, it has been two weeks since then, Elance confirmed the job as being complete since there was no response from the buyer and still I have not been paid. The buyer sent me an email saying he was very happy with my work, said he is using a new credit card and that needs to be authenticated which takes only 3 days, it has been almost a month and till date the project remains unpaid.

Elance states that if a buyer does not fund an escrow project, it is not their responsibility. I don't understand what policies they have for safeguarding the interests of the providers.

ElancePoor service

Elance
            www.elance.com

I have hired a programmers/web designers through Elance, online outsourcing company. I made my choice based on their rating system and the bid received from indian group Synapseindia.

The project is 2 months past due and Synapseindia is unable to correct the functionality although a full payment was made.

Elance investigating team was contacted in order to arbitrate but they have no system of protection for the customers and are less than willing to argue with their "select" providers who provide part of their online fees.

I had a tech team to review an existing site and they immediately pointed out to several issues including security; Synapseindia corrected them only on our request, ignoring the fact that as a "select" provider they are expected to maintain at least basic expertise.

• Su
                Sunil Chauhan Feb 18, 2021

Company kahti h ki smart work karo meri marji mera jitna dimaag hai me usi hisaab se kaam karunga. Sare log 1 jaise nhi hote

sarra1234 Oct 26, 2011

This company is a total SCAM. I am sure they will do everything to delete this review from yelp! Elance promotes FREE LABOR!
                Even though Elance guarantees the payment for jobs to its providers, it actually does nothing to protect its providers.
                We had a client whom we designed a website and at the end he canceled the job on us, refused to pay us, and Elance has done nothing to protect us. We haven't even been paid for the hours we spent on this project. I want a justice and I 'll do everything to get my money back!
                STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.
                I have every proof to show and prove everything I said here. I have no idea why none tries to sue this company. PLEASE if anyone is interested I really want to sue this SCAM company.

• Ou
                Our_House Jun 23, 2011

Be warned of elance they do NOT protect your privacy.

• Ta
                TaylorK Jan 26, 2010

I am very sorry that you had such a difficult time with Synapseindia. It seems to me however that your complaint should be directly with them and not Elance as I can't for the life of me, figure out why you are mad at them. I don't work for Elance but I have used Elance in the past to find all sorts of providers, writers, lawyers, graphic designers, and programmers and have not had any issues whatsoever.

Like you, I not only use review the feedback and reviews of each provider I choose but I thoroughly interview each provider using the PMB board and I also make each one sign a contract before any money is paid. In your instance, it seems as if you did use the feedback system but still had issues.

Perhaps you need to take advantage of a mediation service or hire an attorney to assist you as I am a bit unclear as to why you aren't happy with Elance. Perhaps you wanted them to do more? But honestly what could they have done in this instance as your beef is with one of their providers, not them directly.

• Da
                daniel hor Apr 01, 2009

hi,

I am a freelance translator, i was a member with www.net4manpower.com freelance website .I am getting some projects from this site, but also i joined with elance for earn more money and projects.There also i am getting projects but finally for some projects i got get immediate payment and for everything it ask money...so i am come back to www. net4manpower.com this is provide free registration and bid and payment security...

But i didn't tell elance fully poor service...but it have some lacking...

John May 07, 2008

Elance case: http://www.equay.com/artologi.htm
                He is still a memeber on Elance after so many years, even after death threats and insults.

• Ar
                Arvind Bhate Sep 28, 2007

I am neither related to Elance nor Synapseindia. While I had been trying to know all negative, fishy and hidden things about Elance, I stumbled upon this: http://630usd.blogspot.com/. I was about to sign up for Elance, but changed my mindset after being enlightened here.
                Sorry to say, but you have a huge job on hand. I wish you best.