EF Tourswould not refund all money paid so far on student trip my granddaughter was going to take

B Review updated:

Daughter called to cancel granddaughters reservation fir a trip by EDUCATION FIRST TOURS. Scheduled for june 2016 as part of language arts classes..Had paid almost $700 so far, EF TOUR CONSULTANT told her she could only get 399 back, she would lose $300.00 !!! Reading info on this group made me determined to add complaint about this "company" and poor business practices, fine print and scam if not a better choice for what they appear to be doing with the group if HS students...would like input from others who have experienced similar scenarios.

• To
    Todd45 Jan 25, 2019

My daughter signed up for a school trip with EF. Unfortunately the trip did not have the minimum number of travelers and was cancelled. I called the company to get a refund and I was told they were keeping $274 ($95 as a deposit and another $179 for the cancellation). I did not cancel the trip yet EF will not give me a refund and will not let my apply this money toward another trip. This (based on other reviews posted) seems to be very common with this company -- BEWARE! In fact, I discovered that EF continued to take money directly from my account AFTER the school notified them that the trip was canceled. EF was told the trip was not happening yet they continued to take money directly from my account. Seems like there should be a class action lawsuit against this company for all of this stolen money.

• Sh
    Sharon K Taylor Apr 06, 2016

My grand daughter and I also scheduled a tour to Europe in June of 2016. We paid for the entire trip, plus the insurance and one time $95 registration fee. When the terror attacks in Paris happened, we were concerned, then the bombing at the airport and subway in Brussels and we decided that we did not feel comfortable or safe about going. The State Department has issued an ALERT, for American traveling to Europe between March 2015 and June 2015.
    I emailed EF on March 24, 2015 and told them of our concerns and asked what would happen if we were to cancel at that time we were 73 days away from the start of our trip . I got no respondS! I sent an email to our group leader who is a teacher at Eaton High School, expressing our concerns. She was still waiting to hear back from someone named Maria for EF Tours, and promised to get back with me promptly. I then called EF Tours, where I was informed, that we would only get back 50% of the tour cost, less the non-refundable insurance fee, registration fee and the extras that we were charged. We paid almost $8, 500 for this trip and they will refund us at total of $4, 295 !!! I too mentioned the safety of children traveling to that region, they went on to say it was just an Alert, not a Warning ... they said it was like a tornado warning verses a tornado watch ! They told me they wouldn't send children to places that had a Warning, but that an Alert just means that travelers should be alert of their surrounding while traveling. THIS COMPANY DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE WELL BEING TO THE PEOPLE WHO TAKE THEIR TOURS! THEY DO NOT CARE HOW HARD THE STUDENTS OR THEIR PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS WORK TO EARN MONEY FOR THESE TOURS, ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IT THE ALMIGHTY $$$$$. Perhaps it time someone starts a Class Action Suit against EF Tours. With the current situation in Europe and the threats for more bombings from ISIS, who would want to have their child in that region of the world!

• Ra
    RandallB Dec 01, 2015

My daughter was booked for March 2016, but after reading more on Costa Rica and the travel alert that came out March 2015, we decided not to send our daughter and cancel. We are the first of 4 families to cancel but kicker is, we were all told by guide teacher that we can cancel at anytime and receive all but our $95 registration fee. So we call eftours and to our surprise, with over 100 days left before travel, we were being charged $750 cancellation fee. The $95, the $155 insurance, and $500 cancellation fee. So we immediately call our guide teacher who once again says, "that's not right, you gonna get a full refund minus the $95." She calls who she booked trip with, EF tour rep Lindsey, and calls us back and breaks the bad news. Yeah, with over a 100 days before trip, we will lose $750 of the $1300 we paid. So that was yesterday. Today we get a call from eftours rep Leo, asking us if we wanna cancel because if we wait another 4 days, we lose all $1300. Lesson learned about EF tour companies, and guides.

• Sm
    Smcbryer Aug 11, 2015

I had a similar situation. My daughter enrolled to go to Italy June 2016. We paid the initial $250, which included a non-refundable $95 booking fee and the $155 travel insurance fee which was required. I signed up for the flexible payment plan option which came with no stipulations when we signed up online. I then receive a statement for another $500 and s $95 late fee. I called the 800 number and a gentleman told me that he would waive the $95 late fee, but that I needed to pay the $500 in two days. Reluctantly, I made the payment. Three weeks later my daughter started getting very nervous to travel abroad and told me to cancel. Again, I called the 800 number and the lady told me that I lost the original $250, which I understand, but she was also going to keep another $300 for canceling. Becoming furious, I asked her to show me proof my daughter actually had plane and hotel reservations booked, and she couldn't verify anything. She just assured me they put in a lot of hours of work on her reservation. Now I know why they pushed me to pay the additional $500 because right then, that covered the $300 cancellation fee that they will never return. There are stories of successful trips, but once they get your money they want to keep it all no matter what. I'm sure I am not the only parent whose teen at first thinks international travel is a great idea, and then becomes afraid of actually leaving the country. They count on this and make no provisions for this type of occurrence.

• Cs
    cseymore May 02, 2015

Yes, EF charges a cancellation fee. All the other companies do, as far as I know. You also lose the $95 enrollment fee, which is nonrefundable from the moment you enroll. But all of these terms are clearly spelled out in the Enrollment Handbook your son/daughter should bring home, and it's all clearly set forth on the EF Tours website when you enroll. If you or the teacher are able to find a student to serve as a replacement, you are not charged the $250 cancellation fee. As always, it's important to read the terms of any agreement if you're entering into a financial relationship with a company.