Duke Energywill not reissue a check

D

I recently sold my home and was issued a refund check for 160.41. I realized that my late husband's name and my name appeared on the check so I would have to have the check reissued in my name only. I have been paying Duke from my Bank of America checking account every month on time since 2006-My name is the only name on the checking account. They said it is their POLICY to NOT reissue a check, even if I send them a death certificate. The check was issued 4/28/2016. My account number is [protected]. This is a terrible policy which I think is designed so that Duke can keep more money in their account. I am a senior citizen and am building a new home where I will be using Duke Energy again. I can't believe this is how they treat customers with an excellent payment history.

• Wine Is Good Jul 25, 2016

If you, the spouse, never removed your deceased husband's name from the power account, then that is your fault. The account is in both your names, so therefore the refund check will also be. What you can do, is contact your bank and ask them how to cash the check. Most likely, all you need is the proof of you being the executor of the estate as well as a copy of his death certificate.