Devry Universityawful place

S

I attended Devry for a single semester. I realized in the second week when the bills started to arrive that something was not right. They quoted me $50, 000-$60, 000. for a 3-year bachelors program but at over $10, 000. per semester for full time at Devry, the math does not make sense!! $30, 000/Year times 3 years = $90, 000. And that's only if you finish in 3 years!! I took them to California small claims court and won a $6500. judgment against them (it is easy to do without a lawyer), but they still refuse to pay and they are holding my transcript hostage which has brought my education to a complete standstill as I had to drop out since I cannot obtain any college financing of any type, (loans or grants) until after I get Devry to release my transcript. If you are thinking about going to Devry, do some more research. You will find tons of complaints and lawsuits alleging overcharging and worthless degree value. There has been many class action suits against them and the California Department of Consumer Affairs is working on legislation to force these private colleges to realistic regulations. They are presently unregulated, even here in California whereas any real college in California is regulated by strict guidelines and business code. AVOID Devry University. Go to a real college. Especially here in California we have the best community and state college system in the country. Use it!!

• Re
    Redbirdwarrior Jul 30, 2009

No wonder you are not in school, you have no business doing anything but digging holes for a living. I am currently in DeVry's MBA program at the Keller School of Management and I actually did homework before I started ( I know, how dare I ?!) and found that DeVry charges not by year, btu by credit hour. Your 4 year degree is probably about 120 credit hours and at 540/credit hour, you will need to spend 64, 800 in tuition to graduate. Books and fees on top of that and you are at around 70K. This is $37, 000 cheaper than the average private school in the country.

Did you really go by what the admissions people "Quoted" you? you aren't buying a car here, you can't just go to court and say "WAAAAA, they said this, WAAAAAA".

Also, your transcripts should not be holding you from going to college at all. Your financial aid status is. Pay your student loans and any debts to DeVry and you will be able to get funding to go fail somewhere else. Besides, a single semester? 4 classes. There is no way that is holding you up.

Quit crying and grab a shovel, I've got a job for you.

• Di
    dissapointedstudent Nov 09, 2009

I agree- 100% after your money.

The best lesson I learned from them is never sign for anything!

Red bird your little ###.

• Ka
    karenGB1991 Feb 09, 2010

Im attending Devry In Phoenix this summer. I would like some feedback.

• Gu
    Guest_579 Jul 06, 2010

I agree with Redbirdwarrior. I just graduated from a DeVry branch in California a few months ago, and Redbird's figures are accurate. Had I simply taken the advisor's word and not read the financial aid paperwork I was agreeing to sign BEFORE signing it, I may have been like many others complaining on these boards about unfair billing practices and fraud. There is no scheme.

I also want to point out that I had horrible service at the DeVry financial aid office. The advisor turnover was alarmingly high and half of the advisors never followed up with me or gave me accurate information the first time around. I was frustrated, but I didn't just take the crap and whine about them being unfair. I kept calling and coming into the office EVERY SEMESTER before registering for class to make sure I knew what loans I signed up for and what my status was. If the financial aid advisors don't know what they're talking about - that sucks, but it's no excuse. As a student, it's YOUR responsibility to know what you're agreeing to be held accountable for.

DeVry University is still a well respected school and if you utilize the resources they offer, you can get a quality education that's worth every penny you borrow. As for the financial aid - do your homework. Don't expect the advisors to spoon feed you everything about the financial aid process if you're not showing any initiative to understand what you're signing up for. If you don't feel that you're getting the answers you need from the advisors, call FAFSA customer support. Most of the financial aid is federal money and they have just as much information if not more on what you need to do and the loans/grants you're eligible to receive.

• To
    Tom Hoagland Jul 11, 2010

Red Bug Warrior is obviously a DeVry Employee, probably one of those admissions advisors that calls people 8 times a day to enroll us into DeVry's mostly worthless and overpriced classes.

The fact is Scott is right. Very little is explained before you enroll. All you hear is one big sales pitch on how great DeVry is and how great your life is going to be when you graduate.

They talk about INTEREST, MOTIVATION and DESIRE. Then they rah-rah us into buying into the dream. It sounds like an Amway commercial! LOL!! And if you fall for it, you wiull be in the hole for anywhere from $45, 000 to $75, 000 and no better off than you were before.

And what are the backgrounds of these "Admissions Advisors"? Typically they come from retail sales and telemarketing backgrounds. The best are from Time Share and Vacation Packages sales, pennsytocks, oil & gas and other such things. Most of them don't even have a degree themselves although they will say they do. It's part of their sales pitch. And please understand that although they say they are not "sales people", they are and they are compensated very well for enrolling students. I've heard that some admissions advisors were raised from a starting base of around $30, 000 to over $100, 000 in less than a year and half based on student enrollments. And they tell us they don't get paid for it! BALONEY!

Check the financial pages and you will see that hardly a day goes by without a complaint being made about one or more of these schools. Go to yahoo or any website that allows you to check on publicaly traded stocks and type in any of these symbols: LOPE, ESI, APOL, or DV. Check the news. They are all coming under the fire. The most recent is LOPE.

The SEC has charges against University of Phoenix. School commission is also looking into all of these schools for th e manner that they are compensating recruiters aka admissions advisors and are expected to clamp down on that soon.

Red Bug Warrior's comments look they came right off of a DeVry template. It is too patronizing and transparent. Always the students fault. When will these DeVry people stop paradying management and actually think for themselves?

• Aj
    ajmike Jul 20, 2010

ehh i really don't know what to say about institutions such as devry and UOP, but I've heard divided opinions on it.. My mom is an executive of a small yet successful real estate company in Pennsylvania, but she claims that when she sees UOP of Devry on a resume, she immediately tosses it. I also I have a cousin who got a degree from Devry, and he got a great, well-paying job as a project manager.

• Ms
    MS39 Jul 29, 2010

I was a student with DeVry Online ... yes I said was. I had figured out that the financial aid would cover most of the cost of doing my education online but what doesn't get figured is that each year it goes up. Not just the cost of the credit hour (currently $575 per credit at this posting) but the fee's for everything else also goes up. The professors (if you call them that) don't answer all questions, the means of learning is left all on the student to read the book, any type of seminar was done by not teaching about the subject but by telling and showing you how to complete the assignment for the week, and last I had found that most of the instructors were highschool teachers seeking a second income that they could perform at their convienence.

After trying to succeed in this school because I hate to be a quiter, I finally tried to transfer to another school that offered classes $200 less per credit hour than DeVry, only to find out that DeVry had sucked up most of my tuition ($50, 000 worth). This is due to the fact, yes a fact, that they would only recommend that a person working a full time job only take enough credits per semester to get financial aid. Yes there were times when I talked to the right person and could take an extra class at the reduced rate for over 12 credit hours but there were others who would not allow me to register for that many credits.

So as with many other I too believe that DeVry just looks to get money and doesn't provide the class of education that people should get expecially for that type of money. I could've gone to a local private college and only paid #380 per credit hour but chose DeVry over the convienence of having a full time job. I am currently looking for those that have a class action lawsuite against them in hopes of joining or filing my own.

AnneG_32 Aug 14, 2010

I've heard so many bad things about this school, but I would just like to state my opinion. I think this school is better-suited to "non-traditional" students (over 30) who have children, hold down a full-time job, and wish to improve their quality of life. I am considering attending DeVry, depsite all of the bad press. Why? Because I am over 30, hold a full-time job, and have one child and another on the way. (I am married, by the way, and my husband also works full-time.)

I am currently enrolled in Valencia Community College, and I am a straight-A student. I had every intention of finishing the degree there and continuing to UCF for the bachelor's. Not because I am particularly impresses with the quality of the education, but rather because it is cheap. However, now that I will have two children, and will still have to work full-time, there is simply no way I can handle more than one or two classes per semester. At that rate, it will take 6 or 7 years to get all the way to the bachelor's degree.

I attended DeVry briefly, in 2002. I was young (early 20's), immature, and not ready to handle the responsibilities of college. The classes were challenging. with a lot of homework. The professors were competent and intelligent. We could not skip class; we were required to swipe our student ID's in a time clock at the beginning and end of each class!

I am concerned, of course, that employers would shred my resume upon seeing "DeVry" listed under education. But there has to be even a handful of employers who would not use a person's education as a way to disqualify him or her, but rather would focus on experience and accomplishments in previous positions.

That's my $0.02.

Anne G.

• Je
    JeffNemo Aug 26, 2010

Devry, lures people in with their fancy talk. I had a professor my first quarter that i learned more about his family than the course material. He was always recieving phone calls from his business or family during class and was a hipocrate when telling us to turn off our phones. They kept sending me refund checks saying i did not have to pay these refunds back and a year later turn me into collections. Glad i saved the letters they sent me saying i did not have to pay them back. ANYONE want to file a class action lawsuit against Devry for all the lies and ripoffs they present???? Let me know. This palce needs to be shut down!!! The Decatur Ga. campus is a joke and racist they have no clue what they are doing there and there staff and finacial department is a mess. Hell i went through 3 finiacial advisors in 1 year and now none of then work there. They were all fired.

• Su
    Sued Devry!!! Sep 02, 2010

I sued and they tried to settle. I am trying to upload a copy of the settlement. This school is a fraud and they have been exposed. There is a class action being started send your information to [protected]@yahoo.com make sure you have evidence of what you were told like emails. Go to help.devry.edu to print them.

Here is a copy of the settlement documents.
    SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT AND GENERAL RELEASE

This Settlement Agreement and Release (the “Agreement”) is entered into between DeVry University, Inc. (“DeVry”), and Plaintiff

Incorporation of Recitals. The recitals set forth in the Background section above are incorporated in the body of this Agreement as if fully set forth herein.
    2. Monetary Consideration. Upon the later of (a) receipt of this Agreement signed by all parties and (b) notice that Plaintiff has dismissed the Complaint with prejudice, DeVry shall forgive the outstanding balance on Plaintiff's account with DeVry and shall not seek payment of the outstanding balance on this account from Ellis; provided that if Plaintiff ever re-enrolls at DeVry or another institution owned or operated by DeVry Inc., the balance on his account resulting from Plaintiff's attendance at DeVry at any time prior to his execution of this Agreement shall become immediately due and payable.
    3. As an element of, and in order to induce DeVry to enter into, this settlement, Plaintiff and his heirs, representatives and assigns, do hereby absolutely and unconditionally forever release, discharge and acquit DeVry and its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, partners, members, stockholders, employees, agents, attorneys, successors and assigns, of and from any and all claims, demands, obligations, liabilities, indebtedness, breaches of contract, breaches of duty or any relationship, acts, omissions, misfeasance, malfeasance, cause or causes of action, debts, sums of money, accounts, compensation, contracts, controversies, promises, damages, costs, losses and expenses, of every type, kind, nature, description or character, and irrespective of how, why, or by reason of what facts, whether heretofore or now existing, of whatever kind or name, whether known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, liquidated or unliquidated, arising from any time leading up to and including the date which this Agreement is signed by him; provided however, that Plaintiff does not release and expressly preserves the right to enforce his rights under this Agreement and to compel performance and satisfaction by DeVry of its obligations hereunder.
    4. No Admission of Liability. The execution of this Agreement shall not be deemed or construed as an admission of liability by DeVry, and DeVry expressly denies liability of any nature whatsoever arising from or related to the subject of the Agreement.
    5. Confidentiality; Public Statements. The parties agree that both the existence of the Agreement and the terms contained in this Agreement are confidential and shall not be disclosed to any third parties, except that the parties may disclose the foregoing (a) to the extent required by legal process, court order, or applicable law, rule or regulation, (b) to their respective attorneys, accountants, auditors or financial advisors, and boards of directors, and to governmental bodies to the extent necessary to comply with any applicable tax or financial reporting laws, rules or regulations, and (c) in the event of a breach to allow the non-breaching party to enforce his, her, or its rights under the Agreement in the courts in the Chicago metropolitan area. In the event of any inquiries by any third party concerning the status or resolution of the Complaint, no information shall be disclosed other than that such matters have been “resolved.”
    6. Non-Disparagement. Plaintiff agrees to refrain from any communications with third parties, written or oral, that could reasonably be considered to constitute disparagement of DeVry.

7. Non-Cooperation and Non-Solicitation. Plaintiff agrees that he will not assist any attorneys or their clients in the presentation or prosecution of any disputes, differences, grievances, claims, charges, or complaints by any third party against DeVry, unless compelled by lawful subpoena or court order. Plaintiff further agrees that he will not solicit or encourage any third party to present or prosecute any disputes, differences, grievances, claims, charges, or complaints against DeVry.
    8. Understanding of the Parties. (a) This Agreement constitutes the entire understanding between the parties and supercedes all prior agreements, agreements in principle, and written or oral communications with respect to the resolution of the Complaint. (b) This Agreement may not be modified, amended or terminated, except by a written agreement which is signed by each of the parties hereto. (c) Each party represents and warrants (i) that he or it has had the opportunity to obtain independent advice from counsel of its choosing in negotiations for and the execution of the Agreement, (ii) that he or it has read the Agreement or have had the same read to them by his or its counsel, and (iii) that he or it is fully aware of its contents and legal effect.
    9. Authority. Each person executing this Agreement represents and warrants that such person is lawfully authorized and empowered to execute the same as an individual or on behalf of the entity on whose behalf such person is signing, and that upon such execution this Agreement will be binding on such entity without any further approval, ratification, or other action.
    10. Binding on Successors and Assigns. Neither this Agreement nor any interest hereunder may be assigned by any party without the prior written consent of all other parties to this Agreement. This Agreement shall be binding upon the parties and their respective successors, permitted assigns, heirs, and executors notwithstanding any reorganization, merger, or consolidation of any party hereto.
    11. Severability. The parties agree that, if any term or provision of this Agreement is found to be invalid or unenforceable for any reason, then the invalid or unenforceable term or provision shall be severed so as to make the Agreement enforceable to the fullest extent permissible under applicable law.
    12. Further Assurances. The parties agree to execute any additional documents to do all other acts reasonably required to effect the intent and purposes of this Agreement. 13. Applicable Law. This Agreement shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Illinois, irrespective of its conflict of law rules.
    14. Headings. The paragraph headings contained herein are for convenience only and are not intended to add or subtract from the text hereof.
    15. No Third Party Beneficiaries. Nothing contained herein is intended to confer any rights on any person or entity other than the parties hereto. No third party beneficiary rights shall be conferred on any party by virtue of this Agreement or any term or provision hereof.
    16. Counterparts. This Agreement may be executed in more than one counterpart, each of which shall be deemed to be an original and all of which, taken together, shall constitute one agreement binding on all parties.
    17. Court Jurisdiction. The parties agree that in the event of a breach of this Agreement, the party seeking enforcement shall be entitled to specific performance in a court in the metropolitan area of Chicago, Illinois and the prevailing party shall be entitled to an award of its costs and attorney fees in connection with such application. The parties submit to the jurisdiction of the courts in the metropolitan area of Chicago, Illinois, to resolve any disputes arising from, or relating to, this Agreement.
    18. Agreement as Evidence. Nothing in this Agreement shall prohibit a party from offering the Agreement as evidence in a legal, administrative, or quasi-judicial proceeding involving a claim released herein.

19. This Agreement shall be construed as a whole and not for or against any party.
    20. Any notice desired or required to be given hereunder shall, unless otherwise specified, be sufficient if in writing and personally delivered or sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, as follows:

If to DeVry, to:
    Laura Sitarski
    DeVry Inc.
    3005 Highland Parkway, 7th floor
    Downers Grove, IL [protected]

or to such other address as the addressee may specify in a notice fully given to the sender as provided herein.
    AGREED AND ACCEPTED.

Dated:

DEVRY UNIVERSITY, INC.

By: ____________________

Name: ____________________

Title: _____________________

• Rn
    RnBsinger75 Sep 21, 2010

So sorry the email is [protected]@gmail.com

• Do
    DonotattendDevry Sep 28, 2010

This is the email sent from the representative from Devry. They did not want to come to court because of a subpoena. Obviously they were scared they would get caught lying so they tried to settle. They commit so much fraud. ...Contact me at [protected]@gmail.com to start a class action lawsuit.

On January 12th, we had sent you an email with attached documents regarding our desire to reach an agreement as this has been a long process for both parties.

Today, we have received a subpoena from you to attend Magistrate Court in Fulton County on Monday, February 22, 2010. We are resending the email below along with the release agreement for you to review. This agreement will bring your account balance to zero ($0).

If you accept, please sign and fax back to me along with dismissing the charges. Please confirm receipt of this email.

Thank you.

Our office has moved to a new location. Please read the information below for my updated contact information:

Kathy Chabez

P: 630.353.7004

F: 866.604.4819

• Ms
    MS39 Jan 20, 2011

I'm still up for a class action suite against DeVry. If anyones got one or know of one contact me at [protected]@gmail.com.

• De
    devry_ripped_me_off Jan 21, 2012

I'm down for a class action lawsuit as well.

I don't want to even mention how much debt they have caused me.

Also the credits, they don't transfer, I have 98 credits from them and only 30 transferred into the new school I'm attending, granted I didn't expect all of them, as the degrees are different but, similar.

Anyway, my email is [protected]@gmail.com please send me info if anyone is going to do a class action.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices