convergentCollection letter past-due PayPal account

We received up collections letter stating that we owed $703.81 for a past-due PayPal account. We have not had a PayPal account and over two years and this raised a flag. I called the 1866 number and a lady answered, saying "hello" and I asked her if this is convergent. She said yes that I explained to her. I do not have an account with PayPal. She proceeded to ask me for convergence count #. I gave her the account number. T – [protected]. She then proceeded to ask me for this, so security number and I said "why would I give you my Social Security number when I do not have an account with you" she said then please disregard this letter! This is a identity theft ring trying to get your Social Security number. Please do not provide anyone with your Social Security number unless it is the phone number on the back of your credit card! I submitted a copy of the documents so please read them carefully to see how complex this ring is.

Good luck people

Collection letter past-due PayPal account

• La
    ladyswitchblade Nov 19, 2018

I received a letter about settling debt from this company in which I have never heard of. there was also nothing in the letter saying what I owe money for.

• Bg
    BGS77 Oct 28, 2018

still listing a t mobile bill on my credict which is a old bill.i have not had t mobile in around 10 years .and did not stop my service oweing any money ... BRENDA SEEVERS 776 FOXTRAIL WARSAW MO. 65355 I RECEIVED A LETTER YESTERDAY OFFERING 1/2 OF THE AMOUNT THEY ORININALLY SAID I OWED...I WANT THIS TAKEN OFF MY CREDICT EQUIFAX.

• Al
    alicia9938 Nov 19, 2013

This company is a 3rd party debt collection company that buys up old debts that the original creditors have written off. Often times, they do not have the correct information and are outside of the statue of limitations for reporting on your credit report. If it is not on your credit report, DO NOT attempt to settle this debt with convergent unless they can verify information about the original debt but also do not help them. Do not give them former addresses, your ss#, or any other information. If they are in fact able to verify the debt and you really want to pay them, make sure you wait until you get a pay for delete in writing. Do NOT do any of this over the phone, but rather get a paper trail via USPS certified mail or set up an e-mail account just for verifying this debt. Good luck, and let's get the bottom feeders out of business!

• Us
    Usagi Jojo Feb 15, 2013

Thank You for this warning. I went online to the website and it said I owed $540 and in the letter I received it said I only owed $177...I have not used paypal since 2005. And I only used it once to pay for an item on ebay. I'm glad I found this site.