Consumer Direct WarrantyFraud and cheating

I purchased this warranty in good faith it would be there when i needed it. I was assured by the sales rep (Ryan Kamin) it was all inclusive and asked questions regarding transmission and 4 wheel drive specifically. Well, one month later; when my o/d light began to flash (Ford Explorer) I brought it right to transmission shop as the owner's manual specified. After them telling the mechanic to pull tranny and fax report; they denied the claim. Their reason? Parts were 'worn' - as of this writing, they are refusing to send adjuster to look at it and it is in dispute resolution now. I am going to the attorney general and better business bureau... it will not stop here... but BEWARE... DO NOT BUY THIS WARRANTY!!!

More Consumer Direct Warranty Complaints & Reviews

joehart Aug 26, 2011

OK you guys I need some help with this company CDWS want to kick them (%$^$$#@$%^%)
    they just ran away .
    8/26/2011
    I need a lawyer ASAP
    [protected] Joe

• Bc
    B.Cool May 06, 2011

I purchased a warranty from Direct Buy Warranty, they have two addresses one is in New York and the other is:Direct Buy WarrantyNorth American HQ402 Main StreetMetuchen, NJ 08840I filed a claim with the BBB and they say they are not in NY, they are in NJ. I have had the warranty for a bit less than a year on my 2002 Caddy with 90, 000 miles and the first time I had a problem it was my windshield wiper motor a covered part but they said it was not covered because it was something inside the motor not the motor. Now I have transmission problems a covered issue but they need my maintenance records. So I sent them my resent receipts 2007 -present dealing with trans and oil changes, now they want 50, 000 trans service so I faxed that receipt from 2005. So now they want all my maintenance records but they can't tell me for what and what dates.This has been going on for a month and I know they have no intention on paying for anything, I been looking online and this is so common, I have found complaintseverywhere. I need advice on what I can do to rectify the situation and get my car fixed. I would just pay to fix it then wait for them topay but I believe that once it is fixed with out their approval they won't pay. Please do not buy a warranty from this company or any after market warranty company, I believe they are all frauds
    Add me to any suit.

• Ra
    ray van Apr 11, 2011

i would like to know how to get a hold of a live person to speak with at consumer direct warrenty services

• 94
    9494 Jan 11, 2011

Department of Insurance Slams Consumer Direct Warranty Services for Unlicensed Sale of Insurance

Dilbert taps into consumer frustration with the comic strip posted below. Call it wry humor. But the California Department of Insurance doesn't think consumer fraud is funny. Whether they are referred to as "service contracts, " "extended warranties" or "mechanical breakdown insurance, " vehicle repair agreements are a big profit center for new and used car dealers. Telemarketers or internet schemes may tout them as well. Often such contracts are unnecessary. Even illusory. Some of these products are legal, but many are not. In the midst of a slick sales pitch, almost no one reads the prolix printed warranty form. That is a mistake Dilbert's "confusopoly consultant" wants you to make. Now the Department of Insurance is clamping down.

For many years, car dealers have claimed that these after-market products do not qualify as insurance and they do not have to be licensed to sell them. That may change. On June 17, 2010, the California Department of Insurance issued a Cease and Desist order against Consumer Direct Warranty Services and related entities. You can read the Department's full press release here.

Some dealer service contracts fall within an exception to the insurance rules. However, in order to exploit that loophole, car dealers must follow certain procedures, have back-up insurance, provide cancellation rights and comply with other regulations.

"If you want to sell insurance in California, you must obtain a license, have adequate financial reserves and you must not deceive consumers, " said Commissioner Poizner. "In order to protect California consumers, there are specific requirements for insurance companies seeking to do business in California. If companies do not abide by these requirements, they will not be permitted to sell insurance in our state."

The Insurance commissioner's website goes a step further to promote consumer protection. Check out its "Guide to Auto Service Contracts and Agreements" here. If you have purchased a service contract or extended warranty that does not comply with these rules, contact us even before your car breaks down.

All scam victims
    Please contact California Department of Insurance
    David Richter
    [protected]
    They are recording this case now

Joe Pilon Jan 07, 2011

Ha, I got some of my money back. Sent them 100 E-Mails a day for 30 days. Give it a try !

• Ss
    ssnyder Jan 07, 2011

Just one more complaint, I don't know how this company is still in business but I'm doing everything I can to shut them down.
    NOTE: I Google Maped the address listed on Direct Buy's web site and the live view shows a little building. The shop listed there is a UPS store. I called that store and asked them if there was any other businesses in that building. The lady said she didn't know of any one in the upstairs unit (this was the manager) and there is no signs for any other business advertised.
    North American HQ
    402 Main Street
    Metuchen, NJ 08840

FRAUD ALERT! Directbuy is a FRAUD COMOPANY. You are promised everything and the contract even states covered parts but company will NOT pay out for any claims! DO NOT BUY From this company!!!

I purchased a warranty from them 6 months ago. My transfer case for the AWD sheered a gear. I took my car to the local mechanic and he filed the claim. Direct buy wanted my service records for the car ie. oil changes and so on. I explained that the oil changes have nothing to do with the transfer case and that you don’t service the transfer case for my volvo and most other vehicles. I went ahead and faxed over what I have, being don’t keep receipts and only owed the car for 14 months.

No one called me so I called Directbuy, they said my claim was denied even though its a covered part under the contract! I sat on the phone for 20min on hold waiting for a customer service rep. I hung up and call back and selected GET A Quote, some one answered right away! I was very angry at this point and explained that they want to sell you a warranty right away but they don’t want service their customers, this is true. After arguing with a manager and explaining what I did above he said he would re submit the claim. I called my local Volvo deal and confirmed my statements reguarding serving the transfer case. When I called Direct buy their phone says they are CLOSED and their normal business hours are 9-6 EST Monday-Fri, and its only 2:30 on Friday. I’m Furious!!! Pass this on!

Joe Pilon Nov 12, 2010

Ha Guy's you got Direct Choice bumper to bumer warrenty allso I see. Yes, BBB and your state's Consumer Affairs. If you have there new police there is allso a no mony back clause. If you have an old contract, you are sopost to get a parshal refund. But, my brocker who sold 2, 000 warrentys. Has only seen one person get that back. He tells me there are 85, 000 sucks like us out there. Add me to any class action sute.

Screwed Too
    100% disabled vet

mark matijak Nov 11, 2010

Let me know where you are going with this, I also want to stop these idiots.

Joe Pilon Nov 09, 2010

OK, add me to the list. Who do we call to complin ? Where do we call ? Where do we E-Mail ? Let's help the next guy so this goes easer for us fools.

mark matijak Oct 07, 2010

Add me to the list of customers who think that this is a rip-off company. I too am a little miffed at the BBB. They can not be trusted eather

• Ro
    rosa braxton Aug 11, 2010

i to have the same complain they will not fix my car it has been a week now they will not answer the phone an should be open we need expose themrenewableautocare.com. can any one help me with this

• Na
    Nadine22 Jul 30, 2010

My father, a senior citizen, was ripped off by Consumer Direct, with the selling company being Fidelity Automotive Solutions. All the same things as said before. Major rip off. I am going to the local ABC station to expose them. Anyone out there should do the same. The TV gets the word out, if you sue them (which I support as well), the word does not get out as much as it does on ABC.

Please complain to your local ABC news station, they actually get things done.

• Pa
    passion3 Jul 14, 2010

I filed a claim for a simple repair after 4 months of having the warranty, its been a month the poor MK still not paid and is calling me everyday... first they said they need a copy of the registration, then they said they want pictures of the car... GOD COULD ONLY HELP U if you have claim ...

the repair is under $500.00 and they are giving me the run around so good luck with anything bigger.

MARIETA Jul 06, 2010

I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO FROM DIRECT BUY WARRANTY. I PURCHASED THE INSURANCE FROM THEM. 3 MONTHS LATER I HAD TO TAKE THE CAR TO THE SHOP, AND THEY DROPPED ME WITHOUT EVEN SPEAKING TO ME OR ASKING ME OR TELLING ME THAT THEY WILL NOT COVER ANYTHING FROM THE ESTIMATE. STAY AWAY FROM DIRECT BUY WARRANTY LOCATED IN NEW JERSEY. THEY ARE HORRIBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• J1
    J101 Jun 04, 2010

ANY GOOD EXTENDED SERVICE PLAN CONPANIES OUT THERE ? ANYONE ?

• Bg
    bgy Jun 02, 2010

if you give direct buy yor bank account when you start the contract, you are a loser like me. they took 2 time the amount $3, 879 and i been trying to get my money back for over 3 months, they told me it was a mistake and we will send you the money. i'm about to call the FBI to close them down and send all to prison.

• Da
    DASKU Dec 18, 2009

I bought this from AA Auto Protection Warranty.
    Consumer Direct Warranty Service, CDWS aka http://renewableautocare.com/contactus.html renewable autocare.
    This company is a scam.
    My engine got damaged by covered component but they said it's not lubricated component. It is! They don't cover any incidental and consequential damages either. Meaning, if something else got damaged as a result of failed covered part they won't cover it. And the part has to be broken or cracked for them to pay for anything.

• Ad
    ADiaz Oct 30, 2009

I am also having a problem with them. I canceled my policy before the 30 days (by mail and fax) and followed all directions as posted in there Cancellation/Refund Policy, mailed their product with USPS tracking. They are now saying that they never received the product. They don't want to refund my money back. I have copies of the signed cancellation policy and proof that they have received there product way before 30 days. I'm now fighting my refund and when I read the posts on the blog it also make me so furious to see how people like them are still in business. I'm also taking this up with the BBB.
    WHAT! the got an "A" from BBB, that better not be true!!!

• Jj
    jjquick12 Oct 20, 2009

I am about to put in my first claim in the morning.. Any suggestions or tips for me?

The mech said it is some type of "knuckle" or lip inside the engine that is making it knock and run funny. After reading all of your stories I have to admit that I am a little nervous. If you have any helpful suggestions please post them

• Dp
    dpd4333 Oct 07, 2009

According to the guy at the transmission shop I go to, they get that rating by "joining" the BBB. That involves them paying the BBB. He found out because he is an awesome transmission shop owner and could not understand why his rating was a "C" with absolutely no complaints and being in business for over 15 years. that is when he found out he would have to pay them to raise his rating. They call it "joining" the BBB. It is shady and a scam. I have dealt with the BBB in the past and they are a scam also. They back up their paying companies who are "members" and don't care what happened to you or how the service was.

• Sd
    SD plus 3 Sep 30, 2009

I don't know how they got an "A-" rating with the BBB. Something is strange about that.

• Sd
    SD plus 3 Sep 30, 2009

I am also having the same problem. This is not a real warranty. Your car would have to explode before they would pay for anything. Any problems that you have with your car, the part(s) that is causing the problems has to literally be broken (in pieces) before they will replace it. If the part(s) is only worn, you are on your own. Then you are responsible for paying the repair shop the labor of removing and reinstalling the worn out part. They tell you that you can take your car to any repair shop but the repair shops don't even want to deal with this warranty company. They tell you right off the back that they will not pay! Don't buy it!!!

• De
    dexicanmeije Aug 19, 2009

Is there any way out of it? I did this because they told me my car's manufacturer warranty was expired only to come to find out that that's not the case...They are double billing me too. How do you get out of this?

• Mi

CONSUMER ALERT!

BEING AN AUTOMOTIVE GURU AND BEING IN THE INDUSTRY I WILL SAY THAT PLEASE SAVE
    YOUR MONEY AND BE SMART.

CONSUMER DIRECT WARRANTY SERVICES
    AND THEIR TELEMARKETERS ARE A FRAUD! AND SCAMMERS! THEY ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION BY MANY STATE ATTORNEYS AND STILL CONTINUE TO COMMITT TOTAL MISREPRESENTATION AND “STALLING TECHNIQUES” TO AVOID PAYING CLAIMS AN INDUSTRY STANDARD.

• Mh
    MHW Jun 26, 2009

PS (see post above) BTW my wife is an attorney. A very very good one!

• Mh
    MHW Jun 26, 2009

I signed up for this warranty but pulled out before the 30 day cancellation period was over after reading the policy which had way too many loopholes. Then they send me a notice falsely claiming I had not signed the Cancellation/Refund Policy form and enclosed a blank form. Now the 30 days have past and they're going to make me fight to get my refund. I have a copy of my original SIGNED form however and I have proof from the post office that they received it in time. I'm just fighting for my refund, and when I read those posts on this blog it makes me furious to see what these guys get away with. Let's not let them get away with it. I will take this up with the Attorney general and the BBB.

Cheryl Apr 17, 2009

I agree and am going through a nightmare so similar to yours. I will be submitting a complaint and letter of complaint to the business bureau and Attorney General. This warranty is so quick to take your money and not support you when you need tham.

This is my second claim disapproved by this warranty.

Broken down Soldier in Texas.

• Da
    David Elizondo Dec 03, 2008

Broken gears in transmission @ 60k miles, no loss of oil, no abuse, submit all info & was denied. Reason claim denied: Worn parts in transmission caused the gears to break, not there fault. $3800.00 Repair

• Gr
    Greg Tuttle Dec 01, 2008

What happened as a result? It happened to me. Any recorse or resolution?