Yellow Book / Internet Advertising

1 NC, United States

In 2008 I purchased print advertising as well as Internet advertising for my new business. Being someone that reads everything I sign, I read the contract. The contract used in 2008 is rev 11/07 and clearly states in paragraph 4 that the contract expires at the end of the term. (term being 12mos) I did not renew advertising in 2009 because I had to close due to the weak economy. A couple of months ago I started receiving bills for Internet advertising. I contacted customer service and explained the situation. She said the contract auto renewed it's self and I had to cancel it in writing . I read paragraph 4 of my contract to her where it states "This agreement will continue in effect with respect to the Internet Services until expiration of the agreement or either Publisher or Customer cancels." She told me I was making that up, then hung up on me. The next letter I received was from the collections department. So I gave them a call and ended up talking to what sounded like a rude little high school boy. Eventually I got a supervisor on the phone that seemed to understand that controlled documents such as contracts, have revision numbers. I convinced her to look at a copy of the form I signed and had her read paragraph 4. Then I was told that doesn't apply any longer because we rewrote the contracts, then put me on hold and never came back. I proceeded to call customer service again and tell my story all over again. I become a little upset and used the words fraud, scam and attorney. I was then transferred to a very nice lady that proceeded to tell me that I was right, all charges would be removed and apologized for the inconvenience. It took 3 hours of arguing with rude, incompetent people to resolve a simple issue. If anyone reading this signed a contract in 2008 (rev 11/07) and is having the same problem I had, you are being scammed. That revision of the contract does not state that it auto renews, it expires...