www.Car-Hire-UK.com / No refund!

1 Heathrow, England, Berkshire, United Kingdom Review updated:

This company met us at Heathrow airport in June 2007 with an upgraded car and we signed a car and fuel deposit of £670 which they charged to our card and never returned. The car was returned in good condition and they confirmed this. I have rung them maybe 30 times and each time they promise it is a mistake and they will refund the money immediately but they never do. My bank is investigating but seem powerless to do anything without a "refund" voucher from the company, which of course they will not issue. A google search will bring up numerous complaints on this company. They have no physical address only a very professional looking website. If anyone has any idea how to get this money back or get them closed down please let me know! Beware!

Comments

Si
  9th of May, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

this review caught my eye as leaving feedback on another company, never had a problem with them, and it was exceptional service excellent vehicle, so cant agree with this, although i dont know your full circumstances, but overall i found them good?

Em
  9th of May, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

I too disagree this is not true, you must be a competitor!!! what aload of rubbish

We
  1st of Jul, 2008

This same scam happened to me, and I am trying to get my deposit back as we speak. My Visa company is going to dispute the charge. The exact same scenario happened - I was charged the 600 pound deposit plus 70 pound fuel deposit. I returned the car in perfect condition with a full tank of fuel. Numerous calls and hours spent on hold (from U.S. to UK - lot of $$) with the only piece of information that my account said "Accident" so the deposit was not being returned. They said the accounts people would return my call - nothing. No response from numerous emails as well. THIS COMPANY IS SCAMMING INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS WHO PAY A DEPOSIT IN ADVANCE. BEWARE THIS COMPANY.

See previous comments - the police in Bromley are apparently investigating.

Ro
  6th of Jul, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I have exactly the same experience as the US customer above. Car returned undamaged but security deposit and fuel deposit retained. Accident damage cited when queried, but it did not occur. Car returned on 26 May 2008, so scam still happening.
I will fight this one until the management go to gaol.
Glad to hear police are involved already.

We
  25th of Jul, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I did finally get my deposit back. I guess if you show them you're serious, and your credit card company backs you up, they give in and return the deposit. So the bottom line is don't give up and get your credit card company to dispute the charge. It works!

Ch
  23rd of Aug, 2008

I have experienced the same thing. A company called SELF DRIVE SOLUTIONS LTD. charged me 116.27 and tried to keep me on hold forever ... I am still fighting and have adviced my bank to deal with it. I have also posted this to the police.

Je
  22nd of Sep, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

Yes, this caught my eye, but not the right web address, its the Car Hire Co, which use to be thrifty car rental, and has now moved to Napier road, they now dont seem to have a web address, 02083253417 is the phone number for these ###,

Ma
  22nd of Jan, 2010

I am going through the same issue right now. I rented in late 2009 and still have not received my deposit refund.

Mi
  24th of Jan, 2010

I am living in New Zealand. I filled out the booking form on their fancy website for a 32 day rental period. Unfortunately I forgot to tick the box for cancellation protection. However I soon realised my mistake and phoned them within 12 hours and asked for cancellation protection to be added for another 29 pounds. They said that was not possible as the payment had already been taken from my Visa card. I appealed to the supervisor who told me the same thing. I asked them when does the 670 pound excess and fuel deposit have to be paid. They said this amount would be charged to my Visa card one month before the commencement of the rental. At this point I smelt a rat, and contacted the UK Office of Fair Trade. They told me that I had seven days to cancel the contract if I was unsatisfied. I put this to the company and said they would not refund the rental amount of 604 pounds.
I contacted my bank and canceled my Visa Card.
I do not intend to let them have any more of my money. This company should be closed down.

Jo
  18th of Aug, 2011

It is now 2011 and they seem to be still at it. I am from Iceland and was taken in by their professional looking website and rented a car in July 2011. The car was returned undamaged with a full tank but my 670 pound deposit has not been refunded despite numerous calls and emails. They don't even bother to give a reason any more. I am now contacting VISA, the police in Bromley, Kent where they operate and some UK government agencies. It's amazing that such a scam has not been closed down but I guess they are quite clever at selecting their victims. I was careful to have photos of and witnesses to where and how the car was returned.