World Connect / Don't know how this company got my Contact details

1 South Africa Review updated:

I got a call from a guy working for World Connect at about 10:30 am on 28 Oct 2008. He could not provide me specific details about where I allegedly entered into this competition. He mentioned that I answered a questionnaire on my opinions on "lifestyles in South Africa" which was distributed from Jan - June this year. He said my spouse and I have entered into a competition to win a car. I am not married nor have I been engaged to anyone before. I definately would not enter into a competition if I knew up front that I need to have a spouse in order to qualify.

Apparently, I qualify to enter into a draw with 15 other "lucky" couples to win this car if I attend a dinner that they have set up on the 29 Oct 2008. The dinner/draw is tomorrow night (they forgot to give me a time). The venue is at VIP Offices, 28 Gilford Road, Carlswald, Midrand, Gauteng, South Africa. The guy gave me a reference number and told me that I must provide the reference number (My reference number is J75) to the security guards at the gate otherwise I would not be let in. He also emphasised that I MUST come with my spouse/wife.

I spoke to a friend about the competition and he said that he was also invited to the same competition last year and that he went for it. He said that the company tried to sell him and his girlfriend a holiday scheme. He mentioned that the company started asking him for personal details, contact details, and his credit card details, but he refused to provide the with those details until he found out why they needed them in the first place. He said that when it was time for the competition, they showed him 8 numbers and asked him to draw all of the same 8 numbers from a pot. He said he only got 1 or 2 numbers and they gave him a "HOLIDAY TICKET"! (wow! what are the chances of him getting a "free" holiday from a company selling holiday schemes!). My friend was disgusted with the whole thing. My friend also told me that another of my friends was also contacted by the same company for the same competition. Both of my friends and I do not know where the company got our contact details from.

I don't know where or how this company got my details. Please can someone investigate this company's activities?

Comments

• He
      14th of Nov, 2008

I received a phone call on 13 November 2008 with exactly the same promises! Luckely I decided to look up the company on the internet and found all these complaints (hello peter was the other website)

Thank goodness I decided to do this as I live in Welkom and if I had to travel to JHB for hawkwash I would have been very upset!!

Can't anyone do someting to this company for false advertising??

• Dy
      28th of Jan, 2009

thanks 4 the warning
    i was just about to leave to travel 60km to midrand when i decided to google WORLD CONNECT
    LOTS OF WARNINGS AND COMPLAINTS ON THE NET
    THEY TOLD ME THE EXACT SAME STORY ...15 COUPLES BLAH BLAH and i ASKED THE LADY IF THEY ARE NOT SELLING ANYTHING ESPECIALY TIME SHARE AS I WOULD BE VERY UPSET AND ANGRY AND WOULD BE EXTREMELY RUDE IF I GOT THERE AND DISCOVERED THAT THEY WERE INDEED SELLING ME SOMETHING!!
    SHE WAS VERY EVASIVE!!
    HER NAME IS TRACEY AND HER NO IS 0731335150
    GONNA CALL NOW AND GIVE HER PEACE OF MY MIND!!
    DYLAN 0834325071

• Dy
      28th of Jan, 2009

BEWARE OF A COMPANY CALLED WORLD CONNECT !!
    THEY WILL TELL YOU TOY HAVE ONA A PRIZE AND ARE ONE OF 15 LUCKY COUPLES IN THE FINAL DRAW FOR A CHEVY CAR
    THESE IDIOTS ARE LYING THROUGH THEIR TEETH AS THEY WILL ALMOST FORCE YOU TO PURCHASE TIME SHARE!!!
    PLEASE TELL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO LOOK OUT FOR THESE FRAUDSTERS~!!!
    DYLAN

• Ro
      19th of Feb, 2009

Just got a call saying that I won a car (Chev) and must meet at Midrand VIP Saturday 21. How they got my name I do not know, as I never entered a SMS compertition. Beware of such companies. Rob

• Be
      6th of Mar, 2009

Also got a call today that i won a chev and must attenf the draw with 14 other couples on Tuesday at 2pm. I didnt enter such a competition and neither did my husband so we were both baffled how these people got our details. These people should be charged, inasmuch as they are trying to sell their timeshare they are causing inconveniences to a lot of people who have to travel miles on end for their scam!

• Ca
      11th of Mar, 2009

THIS WORLDCONNECT IS DISGUSTING AND SOMEONE SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS! I NEARLY WENT THRU AS MY SONS EXECUTOR TO RECEIVE THE 6 PRIZES I WAS GUARANTEED OF HIM WINNING, WE RECEIVED THIS CALL TODAY BEING 11 MARCH 2009. I LUCKILY DO NOT STAY FAR FROM MIDRAND BUT TO THINK THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SCAMMED TO TRAVEL FROM AFAR TO THINK THEY HAVE WON SOMETHING. TIMES ARE HARD AND FOR SOME DESPERATE PERSON TO RECEIVE A CALL LIKE THIS INDICATING THAT THEY HAVE DEFINATELY WON THESE GREAT PRIZES JUST PUTS THEM INTO A GREATER STATE OF DEPRESSION AND FINANCIAL BURDEN WHEN THEY DISCOVER THEY HAVE TRAVELLED TO MIDRAND FOR NOTHING AND SPENT MONEY ON THEIR JOURNEY TO RECEIVE THEIR PRIZES THAT DO NOT EXIST! DISGUSTING THAT A COMPANY CAN GET AWAY WITH THIS AND NOT FACE THE CONSEQUENCES FOR THEIR ACTIONS. THIS HAS CARRIED ON FOR AGES AND I REALLY HOPE SOMEONE IN THE JOURNALISM WORLD WILL INVESTIGATE THIS AND TAKE IT FURTHER BY EXPOSING THEM FOR THE FRAUDSTERS THAT THEY ARE!

16th of Apr, 2009

Two weeks ago we were phoned about this wonderful draw for a CHEVY SPARK.

Today my mother-in-law was phoned about the same draw on saturday 18Apr09 at 09:00 VIP Building, Guildford rd, Carlswald, Midrand via Confidence 0878052365.

Please can this company stop with this false advertising - nobody has time riding around listing to people selling holiday points/ timeshare.

• Ta
      24th of Apr, 2009

I HAVE JUST RECEIVED THE SAME CALL AND THE LADY WAS NOT VERY ACCURATE WITH THE DETAILS AS SHE SAID THAT THE COMPETITION RAN FROM NOVEMBER LAST YEAR TILL MARCH, HOWEVER I HAVE NOT ENTERED ANY COMPETITIONS. I GAVE HER A FALSE NAME AND THOUGHT I WOULD LOOK UP THE COMPANY.

DON'T PEOPLE HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO. I AM DISCUSSED THAT THE AUTHORITIES HAVE NOT DONE ANYTHING ABOUT THIS COMPANY.

• We
      13th of May, 2009

Hi

I just received a call from a person named Michael today, from the number 0878052365. Apparently I sent a sms on 14 April to enter into a competition, and I could win one of six prizes (I could not remember doing any such thing - I could not even find )
    1. A Chevy Spark
    2. A GPS
    3. A quad Bike
    4. Ice maker
    5. Ipod
    6. A holiday - to either Botswana, Mazambique, or the Garden Route.

I was given a reference number J351 - and since I am under 25 yrs of age, I must be accompanied by my parents. Thank goodness for my friends who warned me! PLEASE - you have been warned, if you want your money and time wasted, go ahead for the draw/prize giving...whatever...
    Anyways, I'm just happy I didn't waste my time - thanks guys, and thank you GOOGLE :) !!!

26th of May, 2009

Hi,

Got a call from a lady called Noma, was given a reference number J401. I never entered any competition and she told me i was shortlisted to win a Chevrolet Spark. I thought of checking World Connect details, luckily i saw all these comments and I`m not going to waste my precious time. Thanks guys for the comments!!!
    Damn World Connect Liars!!!

• St
      28th of May, 2009

If i can Just add to Wes's comment: Funny story I've recieved exactly the same phonecall from Michael (087 805 2365) and exactly the same reference number (J351).
    Recieving this bogus phonecall, I just got this gutfeeling that something is not right, so I Googled Worldconnect and found all the wonderfull Complaints.
    I hate being lied to... Time is money!

28th of May, 2009

I have also won that same prize...Awesome. Thanks World Connect.
    Michael phoned me too. It is amazing to see to what extent these holiday scams go to sucker people into there offerings.
    Michael phones me, also referenced the same prizes and first told me that the event is hosted at Vodaworld. The later-on I was phone with directions to 28 Guildford Road in Carlsworld. Dress code is apparently smart casual as there will be press present to record the event. They are misrepresenting the entire thing. Are there no law against such fraudulent behaviour?
    Has anyone ever won the elusive Chevy Spark?
    Who is World Connect?

• Gr
      28th of May, 2009

I could not echo ALL of the people that have written here about world connect, maybe we should all meet on sat at this place and show them what for, this is absolutely absolutely disgusting that someone could do this, really!!! luckily we are all aware of what type of people are actually in this world, we should get carte blanche on this..

• We
      29th of May, 2009

I already sent an email to truth@sabc.co.za
    I also emailed newsroom@etv.co.za

29th of May, 2009

Added to Stephens comments:My husband received the same call from Jackie ref:J558.I agee with all of you this is ridiculous.We also had a feeling this was to do with holidays & timeshare as with numerous similar experiences over the years.Just need to know whee do they get our personal info from?I also Googled Worldconnect and Im glad I did.
    Saves us alot of time & money.
    Thanks for the comments-Lets hope something is done here.
    Jay D.

• Gr
      30th of May, 2009

and just to top all of this off, i had a follow up call from Tracy at World Connect last night to see if i would be coming today, and she hung up on me because i gave her a piece of my mind about their organisation and the scam that they are pulling...it is shocking!!!

• Na
      1st of Jun, 2009

Hi there fellow bloggers this just happened to me too... 1 june 09

I just received a call from a consultant called Michael.
    He told me i entered a competition but i know i didn't, i got a sms from them but never entered.

He said I could win one of six prizes
    1. A Chevy Spark
    2. A GPS
    3. A quad Bike
    4. Ice maker
    5. Ipod
    6. A holiday - to either Botswana, Mazambique, or the Garden Route.

I was given a reference number J351, too. This sort of advertising is dishonest and should be illegal.

• Ro
      1st of Jun, 2009

Hi Just spoke to Godfrey(a Manager), Cindy and Tracy (a Manager) 0731335150 from world connect. Asking similar questions, to verify the authenticity of the '1 IN 15 chance to WIN a CHEVY'.

1) Is this connected to any sales related scheme - Answer No
    2) Where did they get my details - Various answers, sms comp, survey...

I under no uncertain terms told them that they are CROOKS and should their misrepresentation. Wish I had the time and money to actually go there with an independant auditor to verify their draw process, clearly there should be one of the fifteen...'thousand' that wins a car...

Thanks for all the posts I WOULD HAVE BEEN SCAMMED if not alerted by all of you. Have copied this link to GM South Africa, wonder if they know of so many of their SPARKS being given away?

• Lu
      8th of Jun, 2009

Stupid idiots at World Connect...how the hell the got my number I will never know but for the past 3 months i have been receiving sms's for a competition for a Chevy spark - at all hours - day and night.

Today I receive a phonecall from Michelle 087 805 2365 from the ZIT Offices No 28 Guildford Street; Carlsworld Midrand inviting me to World Connect's offices at I have won a nominal prize and will know tomorrow if I have won the draw.

I queried this as I do not recall ever entering this competition but remember it well as the sms's annoyed me as they were arriving at 04:00am...

It then turns out that this is the company that calls me monthly asking if I am a Mrs D Bezuidenhout who entered a competition. I am never Mrs D Bezuidenhout; I have not entered any competition and this is clearly false advertising at its worst.

I emplore which ever agency in SA who deal with this kind of nonscence to investigate this company. Now that I have taken the time to check the internet - I am horrified; surprised; shocked and amazed at how many complaints have been lodged and clearly nothing is being done.

• Sh
      12th of Jun, 2009

I've just had a call from Nick, for World connect, also telling me that I have a one in fifteen chance of winning the Spark, and will get a guaranteed prize of either a week's holiday, ice machine or quad bike. He even went as far as telling me to leave my credit cards and check book at home, because they didn't want to sell us anything.

Excited, I called my partner, who advised me to Google the company name, as he'd been caught by similar scams before. Thank God I did.

Thanks for the complaints and warnings - I was invited to 28 Guildford Rd, the infamous address, next Tuesday (the public holiday). I'm glad I didn't waste a precious day off on people who lie and scam you!