Whittaker Homes / Lack of communication, did not finish home

1 United States

My husband and I signed a contract to have Homes by Whittaker (out of Ocala, FL) build a home for us in July 2005. The contract stated that the company would do their best to complete the home in 150 days. There was a delay caused by waiting for building permits; permits were finally done in November 2005. Whittaker construction did not start on our home until January 2006, and it dragged on all year. There were complications during the entire process, seemingly due to poor communication between the various subcontractors and the job supervisors. We were able to move in finally in December 2006, with a long punch list to be addressed. Well, here it is September 2007, and many punch list items are still not completed. The most important of those things are that our front door is defective and needs to be either repaired or replaced. It is an expensive door with a glass panel in it, and the panel is crooked. Our side door to our garage was to be replaced as well, due to it getting dented by the crew during the building process, and this has not been done either. It is not even installed securely to our home, and there are open spots in the stucco finish around this door where water can and does get in. I'm sure that is not good for the integrity of the stucco. The exterior of the home received one coat of paint. Our grass sod (included in the price of the home) was not placed where we had indicated that it needed to be, and much was destroyed when we put in our pool this summer. Overall, this was one of the absolute worst experiences we have been through, and I would NEVER recommend anyone to do business with this company. A neighbor of ours also had a home built by Whittaker, during the same time as our home was being built, and his home took almost two years to be completed. I watched several other homes being built, finished, sold, and moved in to while we waited for our home.